Grand Sauna Shinsaibashi

Rakuten Travel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Osaka

me holding hands with Hello Kitty!me holding hands with Hello Kitty!

Giraffe at Tennoji Zoo, OsakaGiraffe at Tennoji Zoo, Osaka

Eclectic shopping!Eclectic shopping!

People on the 2nd floor looking down on the 1st flPeople on the 2nd floor looking down on the 1st fl

Cycling roads out of Osaka to Kyoto

by dancedream2002

I know it is not impossible, however, is it advisable, to cycle out of central Osaka to Kyoto. I want to stay off of the main roads and ride on quieter back roads.

Are there any good maps on the web that I can access to plan my route? I may start my journey near Osaka's Dotonbori.

I also noticed that there is a river in Osaka that runs all the way up to Kyoto. Do you think there is a cycling road that leads all the way from Osaka to Kyoto?

Thanks in advance!

RE: Cycling roads out of Osaka to Kyoto

by KalamazooJohn

JNTO used to give out excellent maps. If you have time, you can ask for brochures to be mailed to you.

RE: Cycling roads out of Osaka to Kyoto

by nickinosaka

A friend of mine managed to bike all the way around Lake Biwa one New Year's break; took her about four days. I've hiked from Osaka to Hirakata along the Yodogawa river. There is a pathway along the top of the embankment, and if you've got a decent bike you should be fine. Maps are available in most bookstores, in varying degrees of detail, but almost all are exclusively in Japanese. But if you can read a topographical map, you're set.

Travel Tips for Osaka

Climb Minoo Mountain

by heya

About forty minutes away from Namba is Minoo mountain. The waterfall is a little touristy, but it's a nice hike. If you continue up the road a ways, there is a temple worth visiting. In nicer weather, monkeys wander the area. My former roommate swears one jumped out of a tree, ran up to her, grabbed her soda out of her hand, swigged it up, then ran away. It snowed when we walked up there in December and the views were magical.

bullet trains (shinkansen)

by steven1117

Check the following link on how to ride the shinkansen (bullet trains), which link cities from Fukuoka in the southwest to Hachinohe in the northeast with many stops in between, with Tokyo being about central to those two cities mentioned. There is also a short line from Yatsushiro to Kagoshima (in the southwest). In total there are 8 distinct lines, but all are linked except for the line between Yatsushiro and Kagoshima. OSAKA is at the junction of the Tokaido and Sanyo shinkansen lines. a 7-day (consecutive) pass costs around 240 USD (23,800 yen). A one-way trip from Tokyo to Osaka is around 115 USD! (13,500 yen). Regardless, you can buy a base ticket and pay the difference at your destination should you go wrong. The cost is approximately 20 yen per km, for short distances, decreasing to 10 yen for longer distances.
Here is the link:

Delicious Chicken dishes here

by rmiya84778 about Tori House

This small izakaya (pub) has a fun atmosphere and excellent food. Sit at the counter where you can watch the chefs at work. Or at a table. Dining area is very small room, you are cramped at times when busy. Ambience and atmoshere is cool here and at times loud. Many office workers come here to relax after long day at work! Very effiecent service, order taken immedietly and when ready, always served hot off the grill.

Specializing in chicken served right off the grill.
Menu includes tsukune (chicken meatballs), karage (chicken nuggets), hibachi-grilled chicken, yakatori (grilled chicken on skewers) and other chicken dishes. Rice also available along with beer and sake. The food here is very good and is one of my favorite places to visit when in Osaka.
Note there is no English menu in this restaurant. I do not think English is spoken here. Luckily, I had my friends order for me.

Shi-tennoji temple

by salisbury3933

This temple is in the Tennoji area of Osaka. It's worth going to take a look. If you are wondering why I put a hyphen in the name, it was to make sure it got past the VT censors, as the system didn't like the first four letters!

Osaka

by arianne_1504

I quite enjoyed Osaka and wished that I had more than 2 nights here. Being on the tail end of our trip, and having spent so much time walking up and down stairs to catch the trains around Japan, I have to admit I was a little tired and looking forward to hitting Singapore before heading home.

But the little taste I did get of Osaka was great. We stayed in a fantastic hotel, right near the nightlife and a huge shopping street, which was great, because I really didn't want to wander far by this point. And with Lush, a 7-Eleven, a bottleshop, and a host of restaurants right down the road I didn't have to.

The one trip out of our area that we did take, was to Osaka Castle which was lovely and we were overjoyed to catch the Rapit Express Train to the Airport. I'd definitely have to put Osaka on the list (probably as the first port of call) on my next trip to Japan.

Comments