9-6 Toyotsu-Cho, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture, 564 0051, Japan

Main bridge at Sumiyoshi-taishaMain bridge at Sumiyoshi-taisha

a little Osaka night lifea little Osaka night life

Need help with Osaka itinerary

by aznaphrodite

Thanks to those of you who responded to my previous posts!! We have decided to spend 2 nights in Osaka before boarding a cruise ship and visit Kyoto in the future when we have more time to devote to it. Here's my itinerary so far:

Day 1

- Check out of hotel & drop off luggage at Tempozan Pier
- Osaka Aquarium
- Tempozan Marketplace
- Board ship at 6 pm

So for the "Not Sure" part of Day 2, here are the places I am interested in so far:

Umeda Sky Building (Floating Garden Observatory)
Tennoji Park
***ennoji temple
Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine
Isshiniji Temple
Keitakuen Garden
Den Den Town

As part of the cruise, we will be visiting Fukuoka and the Dazaifu Tenmangu shrine, which Frommer's calls one of the best in Japan. With that in mind, which of the options above do you think I should visit or skip? How many places could I reasonably visit considering I definitely want to go to Osaka Castle and America-mura? Does it make sense to squeeze any of them into Day 3?

Thanks in advance!

by SfumatoPants

Couple of things:

River cruise - a couple of companies do this, you can Google that.

Tsurhashi station marketplace for a wild card shopping free for all, off the tourist track:

by aznaphrodite

Thanks, SfumatoPants. Any opinions on the list of things I posted?

by SfumatoPants

I think it looks good. I like your pacing, not too much stuffed into a day to allow for happy accidents to occur - it is a holiday after all. You have time to wonder Dotombori on the evening of Day 2 as well, America-mura is not a far walk. The whole area is crammed with restaurants and bars - at it's best at night.

I might strike Tennoji park from the list and the various temples since you are going to hit a good one in Fukuoka.

by aznaphrodite

Thanks so much! I'll check out the 2 suggestions you posted as well!

by Rabbityama

You are only going to one shrine, so I don't think adding a temple would be too much if you are interested in these places. Shrines and temples are different, and I don't think you will visit any in Fukuoka city, so you may enjoy a few historical sites.

***ennoji Temple, Isshinji Temple, and Keitakuen Garden are all close, so you could visit them before going on to Namba (Amerika-mura) in the evening.

Sumiyoshi Shrine is a great shrine and one of Osaka's few true historical sites (not destroyed in WWII). It was once one of the top 22 shrines in the nation.

To me, the Umeda Sky Building is only worthwhile at night, because I think the night view is much more beautiful, so I wouldn't do it in the middle of the day, but if you don't mind going up in the daytime, you could do it.

Den Den Town is only interesting (in my opinion) if you actually want to buy electronics. Otherwise, I think it would get boring. Plus, it would be a lot of shops in one day. Amerika-mura has atmosphere, but it is mostly clothing stores, so if you don't want to shop ALL day, I wouldn't go to Den Den Town.

If you didn't want to travel too much, you could also visit Peace Osaka and/or the Osaka History Museum, which are both on the outside of Osaka Castle Park.

Travel Tips for Osaka

Osaka

by Gili_S

Osaka is basically a large business city and one of the largest in Japan. I am almost sure that if I have't had that special deal to fly to Osaka International Airport direct from Finland, I might not been visiting this city at all. However, after all I did enjoy this city and the two nights we spent here.

Asashiobashi Park

by OsakaHatter

This is a cool place in the west of the city (between Tempozan and Bentencho) that offers that rarest of Osakan commodities - greenery!

We've had some good barbeques and drinking sessions on lazy summer days here as the park is is ringed by trees for those that just wanna sit and hang out with their friends.
It is also fairly flat with grass space for playing football or other ball games and even catches the late afternoon sun well for those that want to work on their tans!

Take exit 2 from Asashiobashi subway station on the Chuo line.

car-trafic in Japan

by globetrott

I found the Cartrafic in Osaka and other places of Japan not extremely bad and I also dont remember any trafic-jam. Something that is quite confusing for any tourists are the inscriptions mostly beeing just in japanese and the fact that many of the roads are going on stilts in different levels and once that you get into the wrong lane you might be lost easily.

Osaka castle

by yukisanto

Osaka castle is the exterior reconstruction of a Heian period castle, with the air-conditioned interior of a museum. You'll learn more about the history of the castle (who lived in it etc), as well as view the art pieces of that era. Not much actually, if you're going for the authentic feel, because once you're inside, it's just like any other building.

Opening Hrs: 9.30am-5pm Cost 600 yen, but you get in free if you have the Osaka Unlimited pass.

Take the subway to Tanimachi4-chome (T25) ’J’¬Žl’š–Ú, and once you exit from the station area, there are signs pointing to the direction of the castle. It's walkable from the osaka museum of history.

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

by Adeline_Foo

On April 2001, the famous Universal Studios opens its door in Japan, Osaka. What will you expect in US? Exciting rides, lots of expensive shopping & lots of people! :) We didn't have the chance to go to Universal Studios. While we were planning the trips, we were choosing between Disneyland, DisneySea and Universal Studios. We told ourselves we simply can't visit ALL three cos its too damn expensive! After much debating, we finally decided to go to DisneySea. Alas, we have to forgo Universal Studios. But WE WILL BE BACK! Though we cannot enjoy all the rides, we did manage to visit a few shops to satisfy our shopping desire. :)

The photo looks abit dark because it was pouring with heavy rain when we were there!

Comments