Taiya Ryokan

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Fuji

fuji & Iwamoto from the parking lot of Jissojifuji & Iwamoto from the parking lot of Jissoji

Travel Tips for Fuji

I Climbed Mt. Fuji!!!

by Marisola

"Rising to the Top..."

We begin our climb at midnight, just three of us. It was me, my son Andrew (who was 10 then), and my cameraman (for the tv show I was anchoring). So... I was leading this group, although I had no idea where we were heading!!!

After climbing a few hours, and then looking at the map, I thought I must be dreaming... after all of our climbing, we hadn't gotten anywhere!!! It must've been wrong, right?!

So we kept climbing, and as it turned out, the map was right! Unbelievable! But now that I had come so far, I felt I had to keep going... and going... and going...

As it got harder and more dangerous, I felt I wouldn't make it. It was me against the mountain, against God... I felt tested - do or die. I thought I wouldn't last this test.

We arrived at the top at 2 in the afternoon! I really thought it was a dream!!! What an accomplishment!!!

"August 1, 1999"

At the top, I bought coffees from a vending machine and we made a toast to our success: "We did it!!!!"

I finished the other 1/2 of my tuna sandwich, and the last of my yogurt candy.

I went to a payphone and called home. I told my family, "I'm on top of the world!"

I bought a special medal for my son who had made it to the very last station and was waiting there for me, sleeping. I bought a few other souvenirs up there, which they stamped with the date on it: August 1, 1999. I also bought a walking stick for the dangerous trek down.

Comments