Hotel Shomeikan

11-14 Ichiban-cho, Mishima, Shizuoka Prefecture, 411-0036, Japan
Hotel Shomeikan
Booking.com eDreams JAPANiCAN.com

More about Mishima

Mishima "morning mist"Mishima "morning mist"

Mishima Taisha and the monkMishima Taisha and the monk

rice paddiesrice paddies

The bottom of GotembaThe bottom of Gotemba

Travel Tips for Mishima

Cement Rivers

by chodearm

I try to envision this scene minus the hand of humans involved and I come to no conclusion. At some point, maybe a couple thousand years prior to me laying eyes here, this river created a velvet blanket covering Fujis discharges. I might have been wider, it might have been narrower. The shorelines have a definate straight line when in its early years the shores were contoured. Its sad to see this structuring of mother natures creations, robbing it of 90% of its natural state.

City of Water in Fujis Shadow

by chodearm

"ME....Gaijin"

In May 2002 I had enough of the office scene in NY. I was looking for a quick way out. I broke loose via passage to Japan. Yuki, my lady, is from Japan and she previously have brought me to see the homeland, so I was aware what I was to endure. We got there in June of 2002 and wer ethrust straight into monsoon season. Monsson season was something I only heard of in Social Staudies class but now I was experiencing it. Monsson season was an bad introduction, and put a damper on my morale. Once July swung around I remembered why I loved this place, the sun has finally dried up the low lying clouds. Theres the view of the Fuge (Mt. Fuji). We were staying in Mishima which is about an hour and 15 minutes from Tokyo, so excursions to the big city were frequent. I preferred staying in the countryside, whereas Tokyo was a jJapanese version of NYC. Thats what I was running from. So with Mishima as a base i got to see alot. I stayed to late September so had almost four months or so to live everyday as a tourist. I loved it and never will forget the people the culture and our family there.

"Summer Festivals"

When the clouds cleared from the aftermath of the Monsoon season, the celebrations begin. There were Hana-bi (fireworks) at least once a week in one of the local towns, and summer festivals were a tradition practiced in almost every nvillage. This allowed me to really see the inner workings of this culture.

"Our Homestead."

Our house lyes on the outskirts of Mishima city up in the hills half belonging to Susono. The one positive aspect of sitting hillside was the view we were awarded to every morning, looking out over Mishima City ansdthe surrounding valley. On a clear day theres views of Mt. Fuji framed by paperscreens much like a Japanese block print.

Transportation is my one and only complaint about the Land of the rising sun. Yes its highly efficient, but with efficiency and cleanliness comes a hefty price that will punch you in the time and time over. Trains are pay by zone as well as buses so your eyes are strapped to the meter. Keeps going up and up like America's deficit. This raping of my pockets led to a more feasible turn of the century mode of transport...the bicycle. In this department they are up to par, parking lots specifically designed for bikes and bike friendly staircases are abundant. Heres my ride.

Comments