Hotel Maruji

1-22 Izumicho, Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture, 320-0034, Japan

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Utsunomiya

Where to buy a real Japanese Katana?

by Bastet_Baby

I will be visiting Utsunomiya again in the fall and I have always wanted to get a real Japanese Katana, but with so many cute shops to explore, I have not found one yet that sells them and/or i run out of time to look. Also how much can I expect to send - I imagine it depends on the katana and do any of the place offer shipping, as in shipping it back home to the States?

Re: Where to buy a real Japanese Katana?

by SfumatoPants

*sigh* - you did say "Real". You will not be able to do this. A "real" sword will cost you more than you can imagine, so unless you are extremely wealthy you will not be able to buy one. You would also need to be extremely wealthy to hire the lawyer to fill out the documents for export and import. Older swords are considred national treasures and you will not be able to export them, period. Sorry, but you should just give up on this one.

Re: Where to buy a real Japanese Katana?

by Aki2009

I googled in Japanese and found this URL
According to this site, small size sword starts from JPY100,000 and regular size sword starts from JPY200,000. And there is not high-side limit.

In this site you will find some sample of their price.
This site is only written in Japanese but I guess you can read numbers and when you click link you will find the photos of the item.
You may need to install some windows option to look at Japanese site but I am not familiar with the procedure.

Still you would like to buy one, you need to find some special shop.
Here is one I found through google. I have never been there and I do not know about them.
Good luck