Ascent Shinjuku

6-11-1, Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture, 160-0023, Japan

More about Tokyo

Interior, Asanoya (not my pic)Interior, Asanoya (not my pic)

Goods for saleGoods for sale

Hase Kannon Temple, Kamakura, JapanHase Kannon Temple, Kamakura, Japan

20ft high gold-leaf statute "Kannon"20ft high gold-leaf statute "Kannon"

Tiny Kimono

by ozpaul

Hi - We will be visiting Tokyo in December this year. I want to post home Kimono and Samurai suits for my neice and nephew. Could anyone tell me where I could purchase these in Tokyo. My neice is 7 years old and my nephew is 8. Many thanks.

by obaachan

Authentic kimono is very expensive even for children. However, I know one place that sells kimono for foreign tourists including ones for children. That is a store called "Oriental Bazaar" on Omotesando in Harajuku. I've known the store since I was a little child growing up in Harajuku and every time I go home I visit the store for souvenirs. If you want authentic kimono you should visit large department stores and order them.

by GrumpyDiver

If you want to go a lot more cost-effective, get a yukata, rather than a kimono. Make sure you get "installation instructions", as putting them on is not obvious and the stores do have instruction diagrams.

by obaachan

On the instruction on how to put on kimono, one thing bothers me is when I see some people even some martial artists put it wrong. Regardless of male or female the left side goes over the right, as man's shirt does.

Travel Tips for Tokyo

Drink Japanese Beer!

by kat_on_moray

Visit a convenience store and buy a beer - you can't really go wrong and now that malt liquor has found it's way onto Tokyo shelves there is cheaper alternative to beer (happoshu). I like JUNNAMA - it is the one with the cute white can with the blue writing - you'll know!

Waiting for Tsukiji to open

by SfumatoPants

There is a Denny's (www.dennys.jp/dny/index.html) about a block from Tsukiji, open 24 hours. A popular spot to hang your head all night with a cold cup of coffee in front of you.

...or here. Look for the "D" in the middle of the map:

Kare, Japanese Curry

by machomikemd

Curry was introduced in Japan in the Meiji Era in the late 1800's via trading with the English via the East India Trading Company and since then has caught on and became a hit to the japanese people and since then, the japanese curry or kare was born and that almost ecery town or region in japan has it's own curry specialty like curry rice, curry udon noodles, curry pork, curry breads, curry mochi and more. A wide variety of vegetables and meats are used to make Japanese curry. The basic vegetables are onions, carrots, and potatoes. For the meat, beef, pork, chicken and sometimes duck are the most popular, in order of decreasing popularity. I have pictures of the arroted japanese curry that we tasted here in japan. the japanese curries is way so different from the indian or thai variety that is is mildy sweet and not too spicy.

visit the world-famous ...

by Krystynn

visit the world-famous Asakusa district and its Asakusa Kannon Temple (I think that's what it's called.... Don't kill me if I got the name all wrong O.K.?). If you want to experience a wee little taste of good old Japan, this is the place you should head to.

Another temple you should NOT miss is the Meiji Shrine - Japan's most impressive Shinto shrine.

Souvenir shopping at Nakamise Street

by SLLiew

In Tokyo Asakusa, between the gate of Kamanari-Mon and Sensoji Temple is Nakamise Street. A pedestrian covered mall with many attractive shops on both sides selling souvenir and Japanese food which is worth checking out because of the variety available.

It makes your visit to Asakusa even more pleasant. I have not heard of pick pocketers but better be safe than sorry as it can become crowded with tourists, foreign and locals.

Comments