Bellclassic Hotel Tokyo

3-36-6 Minamiotsuka, Toshima, Tokyo Prefecture, 170-0005, Japan
Hotel Bellclassic Tokyo
Hotels.com Booking.com Tingo.com

More about Tokyo

The paper sakuraThe paper sakura

A smaller shrine on the temple groundsA smaller shrine on the temple grounds

Alternative snack without the "Big M Arch"Alternative snack without the "Big M Arch"

Set 1Set 1

Transport/Accomodation

by craiggy

Hi i will be heading down to Japan with 3 other friends this comining February. I'm wondering whether I should make reservations for accomodation and shinkansen tickets or whether they will be availble on the spot when I reach Tokyo.

February is not a peak travel period so there should not be that many visitors to Japan and hotels should likely have enough space for me and my friends to find once we hit land in Japan. We are trying to avoid pre-booking earlier so we can actually check out the area our hotel will be in and to actually check out the hotels condition and facilities, rather then rely on online websites.

Same thing applies to shinkansen tickets. Will there be many people travelling within the country to make booking very hard? Thanks alot guys.

by muratkorman

If you will only stay in Tokyo and have daily trips to other cities, location of the hotel becomes more important to save time. Businessmen hotels are the reasonable options. By booking early, you may get some additional discounts, but last minute booking is a risky yet advantegous option. You can check the hotel we stayed with my wife. It was meters away from the metro station and it also didn't take long to get to shinkansen. For shinkansen trains, if you will have more than 3-4 trips in total, better to get the special discounted shinkansen pass for tourists. You may have more information on that, if you follow my Tokyo page and transportation tips. I hope you enjoy your Tokyo trip.

by GrumpyDiver

Some of the discounted train fares for visitors were only available when you booked them from outside of Japan, when we were there in 2006.

by Zavo

If you know where you are going I think you should book ahead. It saves time and you can get still get the best hotels/ryokans. Look at sites like tripadvisor.com and booking.com and read the reviews and look at the map for location, I always do that when I'm looking for a hotel and I usually end up making a good choice.
For the real Japanese experience I would recommend booking ryokans, they are very comfortable, much nicer then western style hotels imho. In Tokyo I recommend Annex Katsutaro and Ryokan Sawanoya for budget options. They are both in a nice quiet area near Ueno Park.

When I was in Japan I did not make any reservations for trains and we always had a seat, no problem.

by dru46

Booking the Shinkansen in advance is not necessary. Unless you plan to leave in the very early morning, there is no problem just getting there, buying a ticket, and going. If you leave out of Tokyo, Osaka, or Kobe, you usually get a seat. Same for Hiroshima. You don't need to buy a reserved seat ticket. If you are travelling with a JR Pass, you can book your seats once you get there, and you can relatively easily change them too.

As for hotels, you usually get better deals by booking in advanced, or by showing up at 5pm. It's just risky to do that. It's up to your own personal comfort level for booking hotels.

Travel Tips for Tokyo

Zen

by elvisavery

The fish markets by far and surviving the trains.
The large buddha at Kamakura.
Kannon Temple
Tsurugaoka Hachimangu Shrine I'm amazed at how it can be so peaceful, clean, and organized though it's so crowded. I loved that the bicycles were not chained. I really enjoyed their embrace of modernism, while still holding on to ancient customs.

Walking in Tokyo

by SfumatoPants

I am a walker. That is my bias. I love to get out on foot and explore the everyday things that a city offers, urban orienteering. Whenever I go to a new city I always look for a central location from which I can walk to many of the popular tourist spots, limiting my need for train or taxi travel.
I have walked many times from Ueno down to Shinbashi station on the Yamanote line, the Eastern side of "downtown" Tokyo. This area has the greatest concentration of tourist spots in the city so walking is fairly easy, if you feel comfortbale walking in a 5K radius.
If you like to explore by walking then I would suggest you stay on the East side of the Yamanote, somewhere around Tokyo Station (I personaly like Shinabshi/Shiodome, because it offers me easy connections to wherever I want to go).
The Western side of the Yamanote has it's charms, but they are further apart and better explored by train or taxi. I use the Eastern side as a base and make day trips over to the Western side as I need to.
By the way, one of my favorite walks, is around the Yanaka Cemetary at Nippori station. When you leave the cemetary and walk West, into the Yamanote ring you enter the really old parts of Tokyo. Here you can find such obscure historical sights as the tomb of the 47 Ronin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_Ronin).

Famous dog statue at Shibuya Station

by SLLiew

"Hachiko" is a dog immortalized as a statue in front of Shibuya train station.

According to legend, the dog used to walk its master, a university professor, from home to train station and back every day. When the professor passed away, people noticed that the dog still come to the station daily to wait for its master return. The dog "Hachiko" waited for 10 years before it finally died too.

In recognition of the dog's loyalty, the locals built this dog statue in its honor.

WALK AROUND

by kiwigal_1

Contrary to popular belief it is possible to see a lot of Tokyo and not spend much money. I spent a whole day in Tokyo and didn't spend a dime on any attractions. I found the free things and soaked up the atmosphere! You will probably have to pay for train fares but these are pretty inexpensive compared to the rest of Japan. Be careful about where you go to eat also. Buying a bento at the convenience store will fill you up and save money. One of the more interesting places I discovered on my trek around the city was Harajuku (pictured)... go and see for yourself!

Don't blow your nose in public

by ljsamurai

Many foreigners don't realize that it is considered rude to blow your nose in public. This, despite, the mountains of tissues with advertising on them handed out free at train station entrances.
Go to the wash room or other private area to blow.
Note that it *is* perfectly acceptable to sniffle endlessly...

Comments