Hotel Sardonyx Ueno

Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 40% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Tokyo

lots of fashionlots of fashion

KyotoKyoto

Some of what you see, Toshogu Shrine, Nikko, JapanSome of what you see, Toshogu Shrine, Nikko, Japan

The lake overcrowded with paddle boatsThe lake overcrowded with paddle boats

September in Tokyo

by inmelbaus

I am planning to visit Tokyo in mid September, but looking at the weather/climate pages of some websites it would appear that September is typhoon season!!! I don't want to get stuck in my hotel for a week so just wanted some guidance whether I should delay my trip or am I being too cautious.

by danlibbo

It's still the best time to go - late August/early September, the typhoons probably won't affect you at all but the weather is beautiful.

by dru46

While it's typhoon season, Tokyo only gets, on average, one, maybe two direct hits a year. When a typhoon does hit, you can still go outside. You just want to avoid being outside for, I'd say, 6 hours when the brunt of the typhoon hits.

For weather information, check out the Japan Meteorological Agency's website. They have everything you need to know, including typhoon forecasting. It's too early to say what will happen in September though.

JMA: http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/indexe.html
September Forecast (not to be trusted): http://www.jma.go.jp/en/longfcst/000_1_12.html
Statistics over 100 years: http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/view/monthly_s3_en.php?block_no=47662&view=1

by inmelbaus

Thank you Dru and Dan. Being a holiday trip rather than a business trip I just thought I would get some guidance. Based on your comments, September it is. And the hotel rooms appear to be less expensive than around mid October, which is good!!

Cheers

Travel Tips for Tokyo

Sunrise Tours

by cjcross

I highly recommend working with Sunrise Tours. We were reluctant to be on our own in Japan because of the language barrier and so, for the first time ever, booked ourselves on a 7 day tour. We choose the Historical Japan tour because it fit our interests and time frame, and it was perfect. Every tour guide was at least good and most were excellent. The company is incredibly well organized, to the point of having someone meet us (only) at Narita to put us on the express bus to our hotel and escort us (again alone) to our train to Osaka airport on the last day. One of the things we liked best is that each segment of the 7 days was separate. Most days we were in a group of only 8-12. Only once did we spend a whole day with a busload of people. Each day the group was different (except for two wonderful Canadian couples) so we never had that awful feeling of being part of a big tour group.
All of the guides went above and beyond what was expected, and each day was very well organized. WE didn't have a single complaint.

learn how to say 'sumimasen'. ...

by talullah

learn how to say 'sumimasen'. It's the only word in the Nippongo which can mean 'excuse me', 'i'm sorry', 'pardon', 'come again', or if you have nothing else to say... 'sumimasen'. Getting my insides squeezed riding in trains during rush hour. Since we go to work at the same time the whole workforce does, we have no choice but to ride the jampacked trains as if we're sardines in a can.

Asakusa.

by Sharrie

Explore ASAKUSA: Famous for its SENSO-JI Temple (also known as KANNON-DO Temple) this is one temple you will always remember, especially for the street of shops lining behind the temple. This is where you'd like to stock up all the souvenirs for friends and loved ones before leaving Japan.

Getting There: Asakusa Station (Ginza & Toei-Asakusa Lines).
Tel: (03) 3842 0181.
Open Daily: 6 am - 5 pm.
Pictured: Asakusa Jinja - Shrine built in 1649 dedicated to the men who found the Kannon statue.

Tokyo Tip

by Krystynn

This is the beautiful City of Tokyo - taken from the Tokyo Tower. I just loooove Tokyo!! Sometimes I really wish that the standard of living here isn't thaaat high. It's more expensive to live in Tokyo than in ANY other city in the U.S.A., London or Scandinavia. Can you believe it? Sigh....

The Japanese get insulted if...

by lourdesmaria

The Japanese get insulted if you try to tip them for a job well done. Instead, tell the manager or next in command what a fine job your service person did and comment overall on the high quality of the establishment. The Japanese are a gracious and gift-giving people. If staying with a family, or visiting friends, bring small, high quality presents from your home country. It is not recommended that you try to impress them with how 'Japanese' you can be. You may find teens and young adults calling you 'kawateru' meaning eccentric. Be yourself and observe good manners. If you speak Japanese use the polite neutral forms of speech. It is not expected that you know the intricacies of 'keigo', the highly formal language of courtesy that involves an in depth knowledge of ritualistic Japanese etiquette. I found that t-shirts and book bags from Ivy League Universities made very good presents for young Japanese. Older people may like a fine china or porcelin dish. Best to check with someone in the family about what items from overseas will be most welcome. If you are buying fragrances for women go towards the very light and floral.

Comments