3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

2-3-1 Yoyogi, Shibuya, Tokyo Prefecture, 151-0053, Japan

Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Centrally located biz hotel, popular with tourists

We chose to stay in a different hotel for this trip. There was a special promotion on zuji.com for Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku, and after reading guests' reviews on this hotel, we decided to book our stay with them. We paid about 10500 - 11000 Yen per night, no breakfast included.

The lobby is big and nice, room is small (we took an "Economy Double" room) and the bathroom is tiny. However, the hotel is very clean and safe (you need to tap your card on a panel in the lift to get to your desired floor). Service staff are friendly and nice. We left our luggage with them for a couple of days as we had to travel to Nagano and Hakodate, and they obliged our request.

The room comes with the usual: water kettle, trouser press, linen, TV, clock etc. There is no safe deposit box in the room.

**Apply for the Sunroute Club Point Card for more privileges!**
    The staff offered me the opportunity to apply for the card. It used to cost 500 Yen to sign up, but it is now free (though I have no idea when the promotion would end). The card comes with a lot of privileges, example:
    1. Room rate discount - 10% discount for weekday, 20% discount for Sunday and holiday (discount is applicable the minute you sign up!)
    2. Extension of check-out time until 1 pm
    3. Discounts at hotel restaurant and bar
    4. Point system - receive 1 point per 100 Yen for accommodation booking and using restaurants (and you start earning points immediately once you get the card)
    5. If you book a room using the website, 300 points can be used as 1000 Yen
    6. When you accummulate 2000 points, you can receive 15,000 Yen of S-cash in the card

This card can be used at all Sunroute hotels (there are 77 in Japan), there is no renewal charge and no expiry date.

Unique Quality: The location of the hotel is great! We exit Shinjuku JR Station via the Southern Terrace Exit, turn left and walk past a few buildings and you'll see the hotel after 2 minutes.

It is also situated right beside an entrance / exit of the Toei Metro Line, very convenient to visit Tsukiji Market using this subway line.

There are also some restaurants and cafes (e.g. Starbucks, Cafe de Crie, etc) nearby, and also a 24-hour Citibank ATM located in the Maynds Building next to the hotel.

We will definitely consider staying at this hotel again when we visit Tokyo.

Directions: Take the Southern Terrace Exit from Shinjuku JR Station, walk 2 minutes and you'll see the building.

• t_cinanni's Profile Photo

Shinjuku

Location was brilliant, just across from shinjuku station (Keio line is right next door alongside Maynd Bldg)
    Walking distance for excellent shopping, convenience stores , eating. The area is extremely well connected underground.
    The room (a double) was spacious by Japanese standards and the bathroom was very modern (heated mirror and electronic bidet toilet). Nice toiletries (Pola brand) - no need to bring your own.
    Free internet (2) in guest lounge.
    Check in was very efficient as was check out.
    The breakfast was outstanding (western and japanese).
    Front office staff and house staff friendly.

Directions: JR Trains - 2 minute walk from Southern Terrace exit
    TOEI Trains - 2 minute walk
    KEIO Trains - 5 second walk (next door to hotel)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

We stayed in this lovely Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. The choice was easy as this hotel seems to be of a good quality, only few minutes walk from the the Shinjuku station and price deal was very good.

Unique Quality: The hotel location is excellent and the rooms even when small were nice and confortable for the two days we stayed here.

Directions: Near Shinjuku station.

More about Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Good Alternative to Shinjuku Washington Hotel

by Nissanmit about Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel

I would recommend Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel to any one who would like to stay in Shinjuku Tokyo. In my opinion, its is a more stylish, newer and if not more accessible than the traditional favourites of Shinjuku Price, Shinjuku Washington or Keio Plaza. Room to room, I think the sizes are comparable. Its advantage is that it is relatively newer. The rooms are clean and new. The pricing is also equally competitive. Free internet access is available in the guest lounge with free flow of hot drinks. (P/s: Serves great varitey of coffee. Better than many vending mnachines and restaurants in Tokyo). Its near to the South Terrace exit of the JR station. It also has a subway station exit right next to the hotel entrance.

Hotel in Tokyo

by Gili_S about Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

All the hotels in Japan we booked on-line or by e-mail. All the hotels were in central location close to the main train stations so we didn't needed any additional transportation arrangements. All was fixed and was working well according to our expectations and there was no any problems what's so ever, check-in and check-out was quick and we were happy with all the accommodations we selected.
In Tokyo we stayed in this lovely Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. The choice was easy as this hotel seems to be of a good quality, only few minutes walk from the the Shinjuku station and price deal was very good. The hotel location is excellent and the rooms even when small were nice and confortable for the two days we stayed here.

sunroute plaza

by uss_yorktown about sunroute plaza shinjuku

Very nice hotel. Friendly english speaking staff. Excellent location. ATM/McDonalds/Subway are within 1 minute walk. Train station only 3 mins.
Room was ok. Bathroom was big enough. The carpet needs to be changed though.

Will always come back to Sunroute Shinjuku

by TripAdvisor Member amancga

I feel I have to add my 2cents about how wonderful my experience was at this hotel. Not having travelled much globally, and hearing how Tokyo could be a potentially overwhelming experience, and expensive, we did some research on good areas to stay in, as well as this hotel in particular. We took our chances with Sunroute Shinjuku and paid off in spades.
If you like to be central to the action and transit, and have time constraints (we were only in Tokyo for a few days and wanted to see lots), then this is a great choice.
When everyone has said it is a central location and easy to get to, I can't stress that enough. You literally get on the express train at Narita to Shinjuku, and get off and out of the station to your hotel just 3 min away. You just have to make sure you come out the right exit (South Exit, not South East) since Shinjuku Station is absolutely huge and sprawling. My tip here with the train is to buy a Suica Card for YEN 3,500 rather than than just a straight train ticket for 3,150 as the Suica includes your train ticket + YEN 1,500 in pre-paid transit travel and you just swipe the card too (meaning the train ticket to your hotel is discounted to only YEN 2,000).
The hotel is not spectacular on the outside (initial pics on Expedia almost drew me away), but the inside is modern minimalist chic. The 5 staff that man the counter are super efficient and spoke pretty good English.
Our room was on the 6th floor, double bed, and was expectedly small. But after coming from another SE Asia city (unnamed), our biggest concern was cleanliness... we were not disappointed! Clean everywhere, and the decor quite up to date. Double bed was a good size (I expected tiny) and was nice and firm. And it's all the little details that impress: fog-free bathroom mirror, slippers, magnetic do-not-disturb door signs, kettle & green tea, universal electrical outlets, and oh yeah,,, it was clean!!
It's quiet despite being in the middle of downtown, we got our best sleep on our entire trip.
Being Tokyo, you will not be sitting in your hotel watching TV, we wanted to get out. We found the subway entrance to be NEXT DOOR to the hotel, that takes you to the underground path back to Shinjuku Station. So if it's raining, this will be a huge convenience.
Eating-wise, there are tons of choices around being Shinjuku. If you must, McDonalds is 3 doors down, Starbucks is practically next door in an office tower with another about 100 steps away close to Krispy Kreme, and a 3rd at Shinjuku Station itself.
To close, we loved this hotel for it's cleanliness and upscaleness for the price (we paid $96/nt special on Expedia,,, the cheapest for Shinjuku) and absolutely loved the centrality of its location to transit as well as just being able to step out the door and being right in the action of Shinjuku (think,,, futuristic Blade Runner atmostphere, but oh-so-clean).

Clean and comfy

by TripAdvisor Member Piggyb00

We stayed at the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel for 3 nights during our recent trip to Tokyo.

It's a few minute's walk from the South Entrance of the Shinjuku station provided you walk in the right direction. Get out of the station at the south entrance. Cross the road right in front of the station. (Walking straight will bring you to Starbucks and Krispy Kreme).Turn right and walk till you reach the t-junction in front of Lumine 1 and turn left. After another about 50m you will see the hotel.

The hotel has an excellent location. It's a few minutes from Krispy Creme, Starbucks, ramen places, Yoshinoya and even a Macdonald's for those looking for something familiar.

Shopping-wise, Shinjuku station is just surrounded with shopping places from Takashimaya to Odakyu.

It's easy to get around Tokyo as well. If you plan to take the Oedo line (which will get you straight to places like the Tsukiji fish market), the station entrance is right next to the hotel. In any case, Shinjuku station where most of the major lines converge is just 5 minutes from the hotel.

Don't let the slightly dowdy exterior of the hotel fool you. The lobby is new and modern in decor. The rooms are rather tiny but clean and comfortable. Be prepared for a squashy toilet but stocked with comprehensive amenities including a nice foldable comb-brush, bathing sponge and Shishiedo facewash.

The hotel staff may not speak fluent English. But everyone seems eager to help and extremely efficient. If you asked for recommendations on yummy eats, they're more then ready to help.

The down side is that the room doesn't come with complimentary breakfast. But the convenient location makes up for it.

Overall, the stay was enjoyable. And the best thing we loved about the hotel was it's great location.

Excellent Location, Excellent Staff, Excellent Rooms...I'll always go back

by TripAdvisor Member hikaru22

When I went to Tokyo in late November of 2007, I happened to go on the week of the Japanese Labor Day, so there was actually a problem finding available rooms anywhere because of all the Japanese living outside of Tokyo coming into Tokyo for the holiday weekend. Because of this, I stayed at The B Sangenjaya for two days and the remainder of my trip was spent in the Sunroute. I'm not a biased reviewer at all, but there is nothing wrong with the Sunroute whatsoever. Everything is pretty much great. I'm the type of person that doesn't really complain about anything in particular, but there was honestly nothing to complain about at the Sunroute. The hotel has a really great atmosphere from the lobby, to the rooms themselves. The rooms are more spacious than you would think being in the location in which it is. There's a nice tv with more than enough channels, an excellent bathroom, and all around cleanliness throughout the entire hotel. More importantly, it is about 4 minutes walk from Shinjuku station. A lot of people say that certain hotels are close to this station, but this one honestly is. I'm not sure why the prices for the Sunroute are so reasonable based on the style and elegance of the hotel and the location, but I'll definitely take advantage of it everytime I go back to Tokyo. I'll be going to Tokyo again in late February and I have already reserved at the Sunroute. To tell the truth, the only reason I would stay anywhere else in the Tokyo area is to just experiment with other places. The Sunroute has an edge in my mind now, so I feel sorry for the other hotels in the area ^_^ I highly recommend this hotel !!

Great Hotel in Tokyo

by TripAdvisor Member travelz2008

Initially I was very apprehensive about this place after finding out it was inly a 2 1/2 star hotel, but I am very pleased to say my fears were unfounded.
The service at the hotel was exemplary (as was shown by the effort the hotel staff went to to return some items that I had left in the hotel, back to the UK) and it was in a great location (close to restaurants/ shops and also the main railway station, Shinjuku).
The room I stayed in, on the 5th floor, was small but very clean and it had a comfortable double bed coupled with a relatively spacious bathroom. The hotel also had complementary internet access which was very useful.

Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel - Whats semi double room?

by Nissanmit

Hi ,

can anyone help me with the definition of a "semi-double" room? This is listed in most major hotel reservation websites for the Sunroute Hotel and some other hotels in Tokyo, Japan. But when I check on the actual hotel website, they only list rooms like twin, double or single.

Whats semi-double? Can we fit two persons into the room?

Also, anyone has any hotel recommendations in Shinjuku area besides Sunroute and Shinjuku Washington? I am looking for easy access to the JR station and something in the region of US$180-200. Thanks

Re: Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel - Whats semi double room?

by mgmarcus

semi-double means the bed is bigger than a single bed but smaller than the standard double bed. You can bet that if you have a semi-double bed that the room will also be a tight fit. You can have two people stay in a semi double room, they are just letting you know the bed will be smaller than you might expect. Was not a problem but I would never buy one for home.

Re: Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel - Whats semi double room?

by Nissanmit