Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo

See Travelers Recommended Hotels

Tags

Women's Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Singles
See Amenities

Hotel did not honour booked room type

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 16, 2014

I had stayed at this hotel before about 4 years ago, and booked 8 nights in this hotel for 2 rooms on the Keio Plaza Hotel website. I booked a room with King bed, and another room for twin beds. My booking was made about 3 months before my stay. I received an email confirming my stay, and I had no idea of the unpleasantness that would ensue at check-in.

When I arrived, I was informed that my King bed booking was only a "Request", not a confirmation, and that I had been assigned 2 twin rooms. This was even though the rooms were held under a credit-card confirmation. Having flown 6-and a half hours, and travelling from the airport to the hotel, I would spend the next 1 hour at the front desk to get the staff there to recognise their error. I had to speak to the duty manager who was very hesitant to assign me a room of my booking. They wanted me to pay an extra fee for an "upgrade" room, which I refused. Finally they relented and gave me the room with the King bed.

More was to come.

The next day, I made (what I thought) was a simple request for an extra room key, so that my children on the other floor could easily reach my room, as the elevators are coded for the floor. Despite reasoning with them and numerous pleas, the front desk again refused. Despite speaking with the duty manager (a different one this time), he flatly refused. I have no idea, nor could they properly explain the reason why this simple request could not be fulfilled. I reasoned with them that there was no potential for a security breach, as my teenage son would be the one with the extra keycard, there was no extra cost to them as we would be returning all the keycards at checkout but they refused to budge. I cannot for the life of me understand why there is so much inflexibility here. It cost them nothing to please a guest and all they can do is say these are the rules.

I requested to be provided with a feedback channel to the GM of the hotel, but the staff refused to give it to me. I am not sure if this hotel is interested in learning about its deficiencies.

This will be the last time I book at the Keio Plaza Hotel Shinjuku.

Avoid this hotel. There are plenty of others nearby within the Shinjuku area. They do not honour their booking confirmation and the staff are totally committed to being singularly unhelpful. You will drive yourself mad trying to get even simple things done

candyand's Profile Photo

Convenience to shopping and traffic

by written on October 20, 2012

It's great.
The location is very very good, near the metro station,also,you know 新宿 is the city center. Although hotel room in Jp is always smaller than other countries, but very clean,and keep everything in order.
I am a girl and I don't understand their language. Generally, it is very difficult to find a people who can understand English or Chinese. But very lucky, you can find both English and Chinese from their front desk. You can ask any questions. I always ask them to recommend the restaurants and travelling routes, because it is very hard to handle the Jp traffic line.

Unique Quality: I like their breakfast, especially the miso soup, very savory.
The pastry shop is also great.

Directions: 5 minutes walk to Shinjuku Station

machomikemd's Profile Photo

my hotel during old visit to Tokyo

by written on November 3, 2009

excellent facilities. Before it was part of the intercontinental hotel chain when I was here in 1985. I still remember that this Huge hotel is just a 10 minute walk to Shinjuku Station and is just right across from Tokyo Metropolitan Gov't Bldg; there are lots of places to eat & shop nearby and if you feel like walking, then go to shop and dine at the humongous Shinjuku Station. It just takes 80 minutes by Narita Express and 85 minutes by car to Narita International Airport. The hotel luxury Tokyo accommodation allows guests to enjoy a spectacular city view of Tokyo from wide picture windows from it. the hotel has 2 main buildings, the 45 floor main building and the 35 floor annex.

Unique Quality: keio plaza hotel offers a range of amenities such as 24 hour front desk, concierge service, dry cleaning, a beauty salon, supervised children activities, and much more. an outdoor pool is located on the seventh floor of the main building. guests can use the pool free of charge (open only during summer). Room rates at present are expensive at $ 140 for a regular room per day with buffett breakfast available. Another adfvantage is that the Aiport Limousine Bus Stops in front of this hotel!

Directions: 2-2-1 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture, 160-8330, Japan

cinthya_in_victoria's Profile Photo

One of Tokyo's best hotels

by written on November 30, 2007

This hotel is located in Shinjuku area. It's a very nice hotel but also is one of the most expensive ones. I was lucky that it was included on my package as well as breakfasts. The staff was always friendly and efficient. If you have the chance to stay here do not hesitate!

Unique Quality: I recommend you to have a traditional Japanese breakfast at Kagari restaurant. It has a pool open during summer, a gym and even a karaoke. I had a great view of the Metropolitan Government Building from my room.

Directions: 5 minutes by walking from West Exit, Shinjuku Station

kuchunga's Profile Photo

A good deal on a great location

by written on September 25, 2007

I am originally from Japan and now live in NY. Last time I went back to Tokyo I stayed in this hotel and I thought it was great.( it was a single use. ) It’s located in Shinjuku very convenience to getting around in Tokyo. I stayed in the section called plaza comfort which were recently renovated rooms very new and clean also spacious! Also all the stuffs are well tarined and very polite and helpful. If you stay on the side of Tokyo metropolitan Government Buildings you get a great views, the pictures were taken from the room I stayed. I liked it very much. I used a plan with Amex which you need to pay your bill with Amex but will give you a breakfast with the same rate as no breakfast and it’s served in a very relaxing café 7am to 9:30am. It has a convenience store in the 2nd floor so you can get snacks or little things you need too. I have found my favorite hotel in Tokyo that I know I am returning my next trip to Tokyo.

Rcgaijin's Profile Photo

Good size hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2006

Hotel was good size for Tokyo at about 19,500 yen thru NTA. Room had no safe and there is no ice machine on any floor. The mini fridge has those pay if you pull out drinks. There is very little room, but you can use the top freezer compartment for a small bottled drink or two. It is also a 10 minute walk to the JR station, west entrance. The good thing about the long walk is it is all covered untill you get right to the hotel.

meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Shinjuku Hotel

by written on November 7, 2005

The service here is impeccable. Book your stay here online and you will get a much better rate. I had a nice suite for 180 US dollars. The rooms are quite large, and designed in victorian style. This is not the most beautiful, but very comfy. There is in room internet. This hotel is very large and hosts about 14 restaurants and at least 3 bars. The bars are fifty floors up and overlook the city. The sky bar is a piano lounge. There is a sushi restaurant, italian, shabu shabu, trad, japanese, french, etc. They have a fitness center and a pretty good business center. The location is great, Shinjuku is a very busy area. 5 minute walk to Shinjuku station, 15 minutes to Kabukicho (redlight district- open 24 hours) Near major shopping, many restaurants. Close to Park Hyatt.

Unique Quality: Everyone speaks English here. If you are looking for traditional Japanese, this is not your place, but most of the large hotels are not traditional. The Imperial Palace or a Ryokan are more your style, These can be very expensive and you must book ahead of time. The probability of a Ryokan with anyone speaking English is very low.

loisl's Profile Photo

Great location

by written on January 7, 2005

The Keio Plaza is great, nestled between the Metropolitan Offices and Shinjuku Station.

Unique Quality: You can just slip into the underground passage in front of the Hotel - good if it rains...
...and in summer if the sun is shining the outdoor pool is great to crawl a couple of laps after a long day in the city.

The bar on the 45th floor offers a great view over central Tokyo.

Directions: near Shinjuku Station

rwlittle's Profile Photo

Great business traveler's hotel

by written on December 6, 2004

This is my most common place to stay when I go to Tokyo on business. It's a little pricey, no suprise there, but the location is convenient to several local restaurants, and to the JR Yamanote line.

The hotel room is reasonably sized for business travelers...there's enough room to set out your laptop and connect to the internet.

On my last visit, I checked out early, and the hotel was happy to hold my bags while I did a little shopping and walking.

The photos are from my last visit...note the light dusting of snow on the ground!

Unique Quality: There are a num ber of restaurants in the ground floor. The lobby floor has a travel office, and a mini-market.

dennisKL's Profile Photo

Convenient

by written on August 25, 2004

Is located in Shinjuku. The JR Station is in walking distance. Out from the hotel you can actually find lots of shop lot. Specially when you need some bite and just walk across the road you may find a convenient shop. Further down is the busy city that most asian likes to hang out there. All major facility you can find in this hotel. Internet, travel agency, F&B, sports....etc

Directions: Out from the Shinjuku Station and keep to your left...when come across a T-junction...turn left and walk towards the road...the hotel back entrance is just right in front.

Excellent Hotel

by written on June 4, 2004

The room was small but more than adequate. The amenities were excellent - very comfortable bed. The service was impeccable. The views of the city were awesome, and the location in Shinjuku is very convenient. There are lots of (relatively) inexpensive restaurants in the area, and a Starbucks only two blocks away. At the top of the building to the left across the street from the front of the hotel (I've forgotten its name) are two floors of restaurants with spectacular views of Tokyo at night.
We stayed here as part of a Sunrise Tours package. If you book separately it's a very expensive hotel (but it's Tokyo - nothing is cheap)

Unique Quality: great views, beautiful rooms

Directions: across from Metropolitan Center

Excellent Hotel

by written on March 20, 2004

We stayed here for four nights in October 2003. The room was larger than we had been led to expect, perfectly clean, with an extremely comfortable bed (I wish I could have brought it home!) There are many restaurants and shops in the area, and the underground arcade from Shinjuku station leads right to the hotel.

Unique Quality: Our room looked out at the new Metropolitan City Hall. Friends on the other side looked toward central downtown Tokyo. Both excellent views. The Shinjuku area has everything you could possibly want and is great fun to wander around in the evening.

Directions: Shinjuku

Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Keio Plaza

by written on April 13, 2003

Very nice but also a very expensive hotel. Fortunately, I got it as part of an Air/Hotel package but I would have hated to have seen what the bill would have been had I booked it separately.

Definitely did not eat my meals here. The average price of a meal at the hotel's restaurants was 100-200 USD.

However, the hotel has fantastic views of the city from the rooms

Directions: Shinjuku

vincentf's Profile Photo

Shinjuku - Keio Plaza Hotel

by written on March 26, 2003

It is one of many Shinjuku's deluxe hotels located adjacent to government buildings.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located near the shopping district of Shinjuku/Kabukicho District.

o00o's Profile Photo

4 Stars Hotel

by written on January 3, 2003

Rooms come equipped with a futon, a closet, fan/heater and if you lucky an air conditioner. In the communal area you are likely to find a kitchen, shower, bath and in some cases a washing machine and dryer.

Nearby Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Tokyo Travel Forum

Need advice about Tokyo, Japan? Visit the Travel Forum for Tokyo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Tokyo hotel reviews

Experience
Carne Station
Tokyo Station
Transportation
Speak / Learn Japanese (Nihongo)
Local Customs