1-6-3, Kichijojiminamicho, Musashino, Tokyo Prefecture, 180-0003, Japan
Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 12% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Tokyo

me buyingme buying

A fu dog with falling petalsA fu dog with falling petals

Spring blossomsSpring blossoms

Toilet's shaver power outletToilet's shaver power outlet

One Day in Tokyo

by trevdor

Hey all, my wife and I are taking a couple week trip to Indonesia, Hong Kong, and China and we will be flying through Tokyo. We have pretty long layovers there, 17 hours on the way there and 20 hours on the way home. I'm guessing we will be pretty wiped out the first time there so we probably won't be able to see much. We should be pretty fresh on the way home though so we want to take advantage of it as much as we can. We will probably just get a dayroom at the airport.

I've looked at some of the scenic things online and I think I'd like to go to the Mori Tower for the 52nd floor observation deck and I also thought about relaxing at the Oedo Onsen Monogatari, a hot spring theme park.

Do you all have any other suggestions? We aren't globe trotters so getting around might be a bit of a challenge for us. Maybe we should look into guided tours?

thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Trevor

by SfumatoPants

That's not a lot of time. I'm assuming you will be flying into Narita airport and not Haneda. It could take you up to 2 hours to get through immigration. Let's say 1.5 hours into town (the airport is 80 km from Tokyo)...
I think your idea of hitting the Onsen is just the thing for a tired traveler. Get a good meal in... and that's about it.
I'm not one to run around like mad trying to fit everything in. Choose quality over quantity and enjoy.

Please visit my Tokyo page for some helpful tips:

by SandiM

That onsen does sound like a splendid idea. However, did you read the part about tatoos? If you have any tatoos, you may not be welcome there. Just an FYI. You can probably spend a little time wandering around Odaiba, there's plenty to see and do there. Also, wandering around Shibuya, Harajuku (if you like shopping), or Ueno Park. Little mix of everything.

by lisha74

On my first day in Tokyo I managed to see Asakusa and Ueno Park in the same morning with no knowledge of the city. Both were great places for a newcomer to walk around and explore, and were easily accessible on the subway. There was also a river cruise departing from Asakusa (about 90min roundtrip) that offered a unique view of the city.

Two other options I really enjoyed are Meiji Shrine and Odaiba, although with your time constraints you probably won't be able to do all of the above. Best to pick which most interests you.

by dru46

I'd think about heading out to Narita City on your way to Tokyo as it's not too far and a simple trip. You might not want to deal with the time it takes to get out, but it isn't too bad and 17 hours isn't short either. After a 2 hour immigration control, you can get to Narita within 15 minutes depending on the trains. Then it's a good 10 hours till you have to return to the airport. Easy to head back and enjoy the baths at Narita Airport.

On the return, trying to get to the Mori Tower and Oedo Onsen might be tough, but doable. It really depends on how much time you spend at the onsen. I'd also think about heading to Tokyo Tower and Zojoji. It's all near Roppongi and easily accessable. If you don't want to head up to Tokyo Tower, you can head to Shiba Park which is next to Zojoji. All nice places.

Check out my profile and then my blog for Onsen etiquette. Oedo Onsen won't be so difficult though. Also has info on Zojoji and the surrounding area but might be hard to search for.

Travel Tips for Tokyo

Hot! Hot! Hot!

by balhannah

Beware, July in Tokyo is extremely hot.

Even though the Temperature may not be extremely high, the humidity is, and this is what makes it very uncomfortable for the Tourist walking around.
Our clothes were wet through in no time, and in Tokyo streets, there are no seats to sit and rest on. The sun is shining, and its HOT!
Make sure you wear a hat, put sunscreen on, wear comfortable shoes for walking, and most of all, have plenty of water with you.

I would recommend visiting at a different time of the year if possible.

visit Shinjuku, Ginza and...

by Hanakin

visit Shinjuku, Ginza and Roppongi. These are all centers of nightlife. Shinjuku is where the average Japanese person goes to have fun; there are tons of low-class dives in Kabuki-cho. Ginza is for high-class romping; bring lots of money. Roppongi is the gaijin (foreigner) center; you will find many bars and the premier dance club, Velfarre (sp?). I also like Hiro'o, which also has a ton of gaijin since it's near the embassies, but isn't as decadent as Roppongi. Other important spots are: Toranomon, Asakusa, Akasaka Mitsuke, Akihabara, Odaiba, Kichijoji. all-night karaoke, late-night ramen, snacks, izakaya, sashimi

Lockers

by vigi

Lockers everywhere in Tokyo. You'll find at each train station, main shopping clubbing areas. You don't have to worry carrying big bags, there's always space for you to lock your things for few hours.

Asakusa

by o00o

Sometimes you will find Japanese frightened of you, after all, if you leave the city and go out into the country it is still possible to find people, especially young children ,who have never met a foreigner in person.

Try the High Tech Toilets

by Wild_Orchid

I really wanted to share this with fellow tourists. The toilets at the hotels that I stayed at were simply fantastic.

Look at the pics, it has 4 buttons. From right to left, extreme right "Stand-By" to allow water to heat & fill up when you sit down, next is "Bidet", next is "Wash your Posterior" and final is the red "Stop" button, to stop the water flow. There is also a knob to adjust the water flow.

The best thing: the water dispensed is warm and made me feel so comfortable and clean.

The buttons won't work unless someone actually sits on the toilet bowl. Result: you can't accidentally mess up the floor.

After that, do check out the wash basins which are hands-free and oh-so hygienic. Everything from liquid soap, water and then air-blower is touch free and operated by a sensor.
Toilet breaks have never been so fun!

If you like this bit of humour and would like to check out the hi-tech toilets for yourself, please cast your vote!

Comments