Tokyo Hotels

Our Members Say

APA Hotel Roppongi Itchome

The APA Hotel Roppongi Itchomeis located in the quiet embassy neighborhood of Tokyo, but still very centrally located between Roppongi, Akasaka, Ginza and other interesting areas of the city.

This APA, like so many of the others I've stayed in at Shibuya, Ginza, and Yokohama is very new, clean, and friendly. The hotels almost always feel brand new inside. This one has a nice restaurant on the first floor, free wi-fi internet, refrigerators and hot water in the rooms. We paid about 13,000 Yen per room on a Sunday night around New Years, but the rooms are often less expensive.

My only complaint? The neighborhood immediate around the hotel is dead quiet at night, so you have to take a train or taxi a short distance to find any nightlife.

• Written December 31, 2013

APA Hotel Ginza Kyobashi

I really like APA hotels. I have stayed at three or four of their properties in Tokyo and Yokohoma, and they are always modern, clean, and friendly. The APA hotel in Ginza Kyobashi was no exception.

I booked my room online for 12,000 Yen a night ($121 US), but prices vary quite a bit depending on night of the week and local events. We arrived at Tokyo Station, and took the short stroll through the quiet northern are of Ginza to the hotel. Check in was quick and easy in this modern hotel, even when using a foreign credit card. The rooms were small but comfortable.

Nice hotel, clean rooms, good service, pretty good location near the metro, but quiet neighborhood.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 23, 2013

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3363

Toyoko Inn Asakusa Kuramae Kaminarimon: Small room but all that we needed

We spent the first few nights of our trip at this Western style hotel on the southern fringes of Asakusa. It's nothing fancy, and our room was on the small side (as is common in Japan), but it's in a very good location just 10 minutes' walk from the temple of Senso-ji.

Unfortunately for weary travellers the hotel has a check-in time of 16.00 so when we arrived late morning we could do little more than leave our bags and head out again to start sight-seeing. But when we returned later we got a friendly welcome, some soft drinks and toiletries as "gifts" (including a gel that claimed to be able turn my "ugly body" into one fit to be seen at celeb parties - yes, really!) and even the offer of a sterilised nightgown!

Our room was on the tenth floor but had no view other than of the wall of the next-door building. It was dominated by a large, comfortable bed, and we had everything else we needed for our stay too, including a bathroom with shower, washbasin and fancy Japanese toilet (heated seat, spray washes etc). There was a mini-bar, TV, hair dryer, kettle for tea-making and even slippers. But storage was minimal - I wouldn't want to spend more than a few days here.

Breakfast is served in the lobby area and is a small but adequate buffet of mainly Japanese items (miso soup, rice) but also small pastries and slices of cake. The coffee was almost strong enough for my taste, and we supplemented the included breakfast with juice from the inevitable vending machine (100¥ for a generous can of orange or apple Tropicana).

Next tip: a much-needed cup of coffee

• Written November 17, 2013
Tip Photo

The beige brick building is the hotel

• toonsarah profile photo toonsarah
  • Reviews: 3363

Ibis Hotel, Shinjuku: Great value in a bustling location

This chain hotel is in an excellent location if you want to explore the bright lights of Tokyo. Step outside and you are immediately immersed in the non-stop 24 hour life of Shinjuku, one of Tokyo's liveliest districts. You are also only a few minutes' walk from the station of the same name with excellent connections within and beyond the city, and from the airport bus stop.

The bedrooms are small, as everywhere in Japan - and, again as everywhere, have everything you might need to make your stay comfortable: tea-making, TV (with, rare here, BBC World News channel), hair dryer, toiletries, robes and slippers. One small criticism is that although the beds are comfortable and the bed linen crisp and white, it is a bit too crisp - every time Chris turned over in bed the rustling noise woke me up! There is good free wifi in the rooms and I think I spotted some public use PCs in the lobby.

A buffet breakfast was included in our rate, with both Western and Japanese options available. I have to confess that after several days of very traditional breakfasts in our ryokan in Kamikochi we both fell on the cereal, croissants and bacon and eggs with some relief! The coffee was good and there was also fresh orange juice, so we breakfasted well. But the breakfast service only starts at 7.00 AM (late for a hotel that targets business travellers) so on the day of our departure we had to go without as we had to leave for the airport around that time.

When we stayed here for a second night, just before our return home, it was raining so we decided to eat in the hotel's restaurant where we got an OK pasta dish, salad and garlic bread at a special hotel guests' rate of 1,100¥ - good value, if fairly uninspiring. The hotel also has a small bar area where we had a farewell drink with some of our tour companions on the night before most of them left. Prices were reasonable for a hotel and the selection of drinks OK too.

But before that there was time for a final meal together of tasty udon noodles.

• Written November 16, 2013
Tip Photo

It's the red brick building

APA Hotel Shibuya-Dogenzaka-Ue

We recently stayed at the APA Hotel Shibuya-Dogenzaka-Ue, located about a 10 minute walk from Shibuya Station, and even closer to Shinsen Station. Rooms were only 8,800 Yen a night on jalan.net, a great rate for central Tokyo.

The front lobby was clean and modern, with a friendly staff. We tried to pay using their check in booths, but they had trouble accepting my US credit card, so we checked in the old fashioned way, in person. The rooms were tiny, with bathrooms about the size you'd expect to see on an airplane, and beds barely wide enough for two people. Also, the view from our room was poor, looking directly into the wall of a neighboring building 3 meters away. Otherwise, the hotel was good, with large screen TVs, refrigerators and WiFi in each room, comfortable beds (with hard pillows), and friendly staff.

APA is an acronym that stands for Always Pleasant Amenity. There are 74 hotels in the chain, with nearly 17,000 rooms across Japan.

Location on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/92cWG.

• Written August 9, 2013

• TXgal profile photo TXgal
  • Reviews: 115

NRT - Narita Airport: Overnight at airport

After missing my flight I chose to stay overnight at the airport. The hostels that I saw online were around $50 and most of them only had men's dorms :-( They will not let you stay in the gate area so I had to fill out customs forms and proceed into the baggage claim area. There were about 20 people also staying overnight at the airport and they only let us stay in this one sitting (meeting) area in baggage claim. They had a security officer standing by all night and took down all of our names, passport numbers and departing flights. The seats were cushioned so I had a good sleep :-)

• Written July 15, 2013

• nexusangel profile photo nexusangel
  • Reviews: 45

APA Hotel Ikebukuro-eki Kita-guchi: New, cheap but really small hotel

Very cheap, clean and modern looking hotel. Staff are friendly and very helpful.
7min walk from Ikebukuro's west exit.

Downside? The rooms are so painfully small.
There is literally no space to even open your luggage.
The room is about 9-10m2 and comes with an ensuite and extremely small cubical unit toilet.

Great for those with a tight budget and picky with cleanliness.
But i really would not recommend it if you are not small in size.

• Written June 30, 2013

• nexusangel profile photo nexusangel
  • Reviews: 45

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The B Ikebukuro: Convenient and pleasantly spacious

Modern, clean and not cramped for reasonable prices.

Toilets are for once not the modular plastic cramped little spaces usually seen in most non-luxury city hotels.

Staff can speak english.

5min walk from JR Ikebukuro Stn. Lots and lots of food surrounding the area.

The coin laundry facility is really useful (so you can pack light!)

**For some reason it is cheaper to book in Japanese than in English on some occasions.

• Written June 30, 2013

• DebbieH13 profile photo DebbieH13

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Yadoya Guesthouse Tokyo: Basic - but spotlessly clean & very friendly

I was a little apprehensive when my daughter (22) booked this as our accommodation for our first trip to Tokyo, but is was cheap & her point was the less we spend on somewhere to stay the more she's have to spend on herself.
We knew before we arrived that although they call themselves a guesthouse, they are more a backpackers hostel. I'm pretty easy going & because we were to have our own room & not a dorm I was happy. The toilet & shower facilities are shared, but they have these on every floor & they were kept very clean.
There was a small communal area on the ground floor with a basic kitchen set up, & to be fair as long as you wrote your name on your food no one touched it. We only ate breakfast or had coffee here but the staff & other guests were all really friendly, even though I was old enough to be their mum LOL. On one of the last days we were there we were court in a typhoon, all the shops & restaurants etc were closing up & people were rushing home in high wind & torrential rain. We spent the night & into the early hours of the morning (I went to bed around 530 am & my daughter followed at 730 am sitting around getting drunk & running back & forth to the only shop open - the 7 - 11 opposite.

• Written April 4, 2013

• salisbury3933 profile photo salisbury3933
  • Reviews: 875

Shiba Daimon Hotel: Adequate Business Style Hotel

This is a fairly standard Japanese business hotel, and as such is quite reasonably priced by Tokyo standards. Rooms are clean enough, and there are a number of convenience stores and restaurants in the general area. It is also a short walk to Hamamatsu-cho railway station, either for the monorail to Haneda airport or the Yamanote line.

We managed to get a room for the 3 of us for around 9000 yen a night, so very affordable by Tokyo hotel standards. If you don't need luxury then this is a good well located option.

• Written April 2, 2013
Tip Photo

• erik_c profile photo erik_c

SAKURA HOUSE: Reasonably priced & Clean Tokyo Share House

>> If you are looking at longer term (over 1 month) stay, one of the more popular
>> foreigner rental agency companies are
>> Sakura House: http://www.sakura-house.com/en/?gclid=CPbfmvWVxq4CFYyDpAodDyap5w

Sakura House is a very decent indeed. Stayed there myself for several years (4 different locations)! Very reasonably priced (around 70 000 yen/month), easy to deal with and clean houses. If you ever go to Japan again I would recommend them.

• Written July 29, 2012

• hebaemam profile photo hebaemam
  • Reviews: 135

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

DormyInn asakusa: view and location

it was perfect.

Location is perfect, staff are so freindly, breakfast is just enough and delecious. free ramen from 9,30.
BUTTTTTT onsen is inconvinent since it have women and men shift.

• Related to: Family Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written May 9, 2012
Tip Photo

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 746

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Asakusa smile hostel: Cheap and comfortable hostel

Beds from 1500 Yen, not far from Toei Asakusa Line (direct trains with Keikyu Line using Toei Asakusa Line tracks to Haneda airport, 400 Yen, Yokohama 560 Yen and to Narita airport) Ginza Line and Tobu Line (for Nikko) station.

• Related to: Museum Visits, Budget Travel, Photography
  • Written March 8, 2012

Asakusa smile hostel

• sheherezad profile photo sheherezad
  • Reviews: 134

Sunroute Shimbasi: Central accommodation for a reasonable price

I second the Sunroute Shimbashi! @SP recommended it to me for my September 2011 visit to Tokyo and I was very pleased with it! The room is small but had everything you need - even a bath tub and tea making facilities! It even has a ladies' floor with extra amenities for ladies! ;-)

I could see Tokyo Tower from my window. The hotel is also very close to the Shimbashi station and walking distance to Ginza! Food in the area is plentiful and wonderful! And there's a Wilson's connected to the ground floor of the hotel via an internal door.

Ladies floor!

• Written February 6, 2012

• mariviiit profile photo mariviiit

Sakura Hostel Asakusa 2-24-2 Asakusa Taito-ku, ,: First days in Tokyo

Since I had no advance booking, when I arrived to Japan, I had to find something fast.
They had very friendly staff and it is also a great place to meet people- I did:)

• Written October 30, 2011
Tip Photo

Sensoji temple is located very close to the hostel

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful