2-6-2, Iriya, Taito, Tokyo Prefecture, 110-0013, Japan

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Maxiediva's Profile Photo

6-tatami mat room

Stayed here during my last 2 nights in Tokyo as it was close to Asakusa. The nearest Tokyo Metro is Iriya, which is conveniently located 1 stop away from Ueno Station (JR, Keisei, Metro lines converge). The front office is located on the 2nd floor so you need to lug your luggage up a flight of stairs. You can then use the elevators to get to your room after you check in. You have to lug them down the stairs again after you check out though. The ladies bathroom is on the 1st floor, but I couldn't find the elevator's entrance from the outside of the ryokan. It's quite eerie to get to the bathroom but the elevators gives you privacy to get directly from your room without being seen by other guests. Free Internet available as well as sembei in the dining/lounge area. My room was spacious for a single person and has a sink and a table. The public toilets are clean and conveniently located on every floor. Each room has a TV, heater (that was too noisy at times), hot water thermos, complimentary coffee and tea, cup, toothbrush, razor and yukata. Bedding was comfortable. 7-11, grocery store, 100Yen shop and a few restaurants located along the way for subway to hotel. Staff are friendly but don't speak much English. There are plenty of travel materials for you to read. Overall, highly recommended if you intend to have a place to sleep, rest and spend most of the day exploring nearby Asakusa and Ueno. Beats staying in a dorm. Rates start from 5,500Yen per room per night. 4/5 stars!

Unique Quality: The light switch to the room is an airconditioner lookalike remote controller. (see picture below). Took me sometime wandering about in semi-darkness looking for the light switch until I accidentally pushed a button.

The heater / airconditioner has an instruction manual. Very noisy tho so you better remember to turn it off if you want to sleep soundly.

Can feel tremors at times.

Directions: Iriya Metro Subway exit, cross traffic lights and walk till you reach a 3-way intersection. Cut across to the florist and walk for 50m. Ryokan located at the end of the road.

• hatter10_6's Profile Photo

5300yen per person.

Unique Quality: Very cheap, yet very high quality Japanese style accomodation. Very clean. Has all the essential stuff. There is a communal bath, but you can use it privately.

Directions: 2-6-2 Iriya Taito-ku, Tokyo 110-0013
    Near Ueno park and the Senso-ji Temple. Walking distance from Uguisudani Sta. on JR line.

More about Sakura Ryokan

Staying in a Ryokan

by Ringo2002

"Tokyo Ryokan"

This section details a three-night stay in May 1998 at the Sakura Ryokan, 2-6-2 Iriya Taito-ku, Tokyo-to 110
The first issue in choosing accommodation in Tokyo should be the ease of getting to / from the accommodation. This proved to be a major issue in my case.
The Sakura Ryokan is in the northern Taito district of Tokyo. It is a ten-minute walk from the nearest subway station “Iriya”. I arrived in Tokyo by air, and had been allocated a transfer to the Tokyo City Air Terminal - TCAT. It proved to have been really important that I had insisted in my travel agent providing me with details in Japanese of the Ryokan and it’s location, as the taxi driver from TCAT to the Ryokan didn’t seem to recognise it - I suspect this may be a general issue for people choosing to stay in Ryokans - Taxi drivers will know the Imperial Hotel !
The Sakura is in a pleasant district, with an amazing number of convenience stores, off-licences etc - the local Seven-Eleven is a short walk and is open 24 hours. An off-licence is about 25 yards away ! It is actually in a street that is one “block” off the main street - a block only being 25 yards or so, but it could make it difficult to spot, particularly for a driver.
The actual reception was on level 2 - i.e. up one flight of stairs, although it did appear possible to get assistance with heavy bags, and access to the lift at this level if one asked. I only saw the same lady at reception throughout my three-day stay, and I couldn’t do more than basic “hotel speak” with her in English. Note that the reception is unmanned, seemingly at all times - you have to ring a bell for service.
Currently security in guest houses in Japan seems to be a “non-issue” - your room key remains on the reception desk from when you leave it there until you pick it up (this was also true in Kyoto). It came complete with a “bell” on the large key fob, so it was clear they didn’t want you to remove it from the hotel.
I don’t know if there is a real distinction between a Ryokan and a Business Hotel - the Sakura described itself as the latter.
The traditional slippers were available, and expected to be used, with the changing of shoes taking place outside the main door - good for keeping the smell of well used shoes outside, but possibly a bit worrying to leave your Gucci loafers “outside” all night.
The room allocated was a “Western-style room”. I believe this varies in what it means - in this case it mean a “real” bed, air conditioning, a very small bathroom with a shower, a kettle and a pay-TV. I discovered the following day that there was a communal fridge on each floor. This was packed to bursting, but I managed to find room for milk at least.
I didn’t notice whether breakfast was available - I suspect not.
The pay-TV required 100-yen coins - one per hour, although as the only stations available were Japanese this wasn’t a big issue. I thought I’d seen promise of CNN, but no sign of it.
There was a confusing sign about the opening hours for reception, which I misread as meaning reception was closed between 10pm and 6am - but I think it actually meant 10am and 6pm. Either way people seemed to gain access to the Ryokan throughout the night, suggesting the outside door didn’t get locked, as you weren’t issued with anything other than your room key. Noise was a problem - particularly from the younger backpackers who decided to complete their farewell conversations in the corridors at 1am.
There is no real view from the accommodation - my room overlooked a side-road.
I wouldn’t describe the Sakura as being “sparklingly clean” or “well appointed”, but if you are happy co-existing with the backpacker / youth hostel crowd I don’t think it would be an issue. The price is certainly a major factor, costing as little as £30 per room per night. Perhaps now that exchange rates are so favourable, the Ryokan is less attractive from a price point of view.

"More on the locale"

The district itself is not really remarkable, but it is close to Asakusa, one of the features of Tokyo. By chance, the weekend I was there coincided with a bid festival as Asakusa, which involved processions through the streets outside the Sakura. In fact one of the groups involved were based next door, where they set up their “portable shrine” for the procession, and then had a celebratory meal afterwards - men out front, women in the back.

The major problem that I had was related to the location. Despite being on a “package tour” from Premier Travel in England, I was expected to make my own way to the Imperial Hotel by 9am in order to continue my onward trip, via a Mt Fuji tour, to Kyoto. This was a major challenge. I didn’t feel I could rely on any staff being available at a very early hour to arrange me a taxi - nor did I have the confidence I could explain what I required in advance. Given I had two suitcases and a travel bag, I didn’t want to use the subway, particularly during the Monday morning rush hour, but realised I didn’t have much alternative other than to make a really early start.
I thus caught a train shortly after 6am, after walking to Iriya station. This train was already quite full, but I was able to find a reasonable place to put my suitcases. Tokyo subways aren’t the best in terms of escalators / elevators - from the subway stop it was a long walk underground followed by a climb of a single flight of 60 steps, so I was glad of having plenty of time in reserve to make this trek.

Comments