Aktau Hotels

• John195123 profile photo John195123
  • Reviews: 1417

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Aktau: Cheapest in Town... Almost

A decently pleasant hotel, well situated near the water, restaurants, a grocery store and the police station, the Hotel Aktau has pretty nice rooms for about 6000 Tenge (September 2008). That is for a single. Doubles are about 12,000. My wife and I needed a double room. They had only singles, and wouldn't let us stay in one single, even if we paid for the double room price. So we had two single rooms. At least one had better TV... but we sublet it for a night to an American guy we met in the lobby who was having bad luck finding a room anywhere in town. Ridiculous hotel policies... anyway... They offer breakfast, oily eggs, cold meat, bread and a few other things, with the room.

There is a small bar located in the lobby, opening later in the day.

Rooms might overlook the Caspian, though it's a fair distance away.

One of the best features of the hotel is the money changing facility in the lobby. Also in the lobby is a travel agent and cell phone/SIM card window. Just outside (to the left of the main door as you exit) is an ATM that takes at least MasterCard. If you keep walking along the wall, and turn right, there is an office that has three or four computers for a decent price and farther down is a rail booking office, and, while they don't speak English, are friendly and helpful enough.

Just around the corner (to the right as you exit) is a pretty good pub, Guns-n-Roses... I don't understand why the name, but they have good food, beer and sports on TV, for those who are into that.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average

• Over60 profile photo Over60
  • Reviews: 152

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Köktem: Pleasant Moderately Priced Hotel in Aktau

I spent three nights in this pleasant hotel. The facilities are modern, about at the level of a good two star European hotel, and the service from the English-speaking reception was excellent. My room was equiped with mini-bar and cable TV with English and German channels; the matress was hard as a rock, not a problem for me but perhaps for some. An excellent breakfast, with a choice of several menus, including eggs etc. was included in the price. The hotel is about a five minute walk from nearby beaches and a bunch of good beach restaurants. A luxury hotel with fancy bar and restaurant are right across the street for those whose tastes run in that direction but don't want to pay $200+ per night. My efforts to contact the hotel by e-mail provedf futile, but a phone call worked for making reservations. My only reservation about the hotel was that the laundry service was riduculously overpriced.

• Opinion of Price: about average