Almaty-Sapar Regency

Travelocity Otel.com

More about Almaty

Mr. President at openingMr. President at opening

DacmapxahDacmapxah

great wall restaurantgreat wall restaurant

Meat marketMeat market

Arriving early in Almaty

by ian1917

Hi we are flying in to Almaty arriving at 5:10am on the KLM flight. Local (UK) time that is midnight so we will be very tired. Are there hotels we can check in to at that time to get some sleep?

Also if we decided to catch a train somewhere instead, how quickly could we get from Almaty airport to Alma-Ata-2 train station? Does immigration take a long time?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Arriving early in Almaty

by wrangler_blk

as i remember when i visited Almaty some 3 years back, there was a hotel, when you leaving the airport on your left. just check again Almaty airport website and for sure, you can see it. http://en.alaport.com/business/index.html
well, the Immigration clearance is easier than you stay somewhere in Russian Immigration..:) faster.. maybe because of not so crowded. but wanna inform you about some medicines you carry, not in quantity but for personal use. in declaration papers you should include every dollar/euro or other currency you have, as well as gold chains/earings/bracelets etc... if they find extra could fine you and then, of course, asking for something in return:)..$.. i remember my 50$ just gone for nothing..:)
from Almaty airport to Almaty 2 railway station you can catch a taxi but mostly of them are very expencive at airports, so, try to bargain or just walk some 10 min ahead and try to catch an outside one. travel distance is about 15 min normal drive. sorry but no any idea about taxi ride price but for sure not more than 10$!
to continue your trip to new capital Astana, you can get very famous and luxurious speed train, they call it "Talgo" or "Spanish train".

Travel Tips for Almaty

Get an Uzbekistan Visa

by Wanderboy43

I received my Uzbekistan visa today. The rules are different for Americans and Europeans. As an American it costs $100 for 30 days/single entry (Pay in US currency). You can pay $50 extra for 2 day service. I didn't and it took 1 week. (dropped of Monday, picked up Monday) For the same price you can get a 4year muliple entry visa if you have an invitation- I don't know the details.
Go at 2pm; the morning is for Kazaks.
For Europeans, the price is something like $55 for 1 week, $65 for 2 weeks, etc. each additional entry is $10. The process seemed to take 3-4 days for the Europeans I met in line.
There is only 1 guy there, and he is generally nice, but doesn't speak English (well, I had a friend there translating Russian for me). Be prepared to wait around for a few hours.
The funny thing is that the guy didn't like that I wasn't positive of my dates: basically I didn't care; Im not on a tight schedule. He got a bit annoyed and said that a REAL TOURIST has a plan and everything is organized, which is funny since this Embassy is the only one I've been to that couldn't/wouldn't give me a definite date that I could get my VISA in the first place. Oh well, I guess I'm not a REAL TOURIST. I take it as a compliment.

dont believe "Borat"-no multiple kisses on cheeks!

by angelochka

i've found kazakh people very welcoming, warm and nice which surely makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. before my travel to Almaty i contacted some of my clients and was surprisingly pleased the way they cared about my comfort and wellbeing-they suggested not to forget warm clothes if i'm ever planning to go to Chimbulak, organized entertainment, lunches at best restaurants so that i could try national cuisine..once after a meeting they even gave to me a big packet with best kazakh peers..all was very touching and i'm still so grateful..

General Information

by KL-Boy

Currency - Tenge. What you bring in spend it (or declare it) all as it is a real hassle to bring out more money than you declare (when coming in)

Voltage - Same as United States (2 pin 220V) - bring an adaptor for you cameras, phones etc

Medeo

by SirRichard

Medeo is a popular sports place amongst Alma-Ata inhabitants. It is a modern winter sports centre at 1691 m above the sea level. Here you can see skating rink with artificial ice, skiing instalations and some touristic places too. We had lunch here in a typical regional yurta (mongol tent) all surrounded by warm carpets on floor and walls.

Theatres..

by marsistanbul

Abai State Theatre of Opera and Ballet
Kabanbai batyra 110,at Panfilova

Auezov Kazkh State Drama Theatre
Abaya 105,east of Zhandosova,across from the circus

Chinese-Uighur Theatre of Musical Comedy
Nauryzbai batyra 83,at Karasai batyra

Deutsches Schauspiel Theatre(German Theatre)
Satpayeva 64d,at Rozybakieva

Lermontov State Academic Russian Drama Theatre
Abaya 43,at Abylai Khana

Novaya Stsena Theatre
Panfilova 103,at Zhibek Zholy,behind the west end of the Kazakhtelecom building on Zhibek Zholy

State Academic Theatre for Children and Teenagers