Laos Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bunmy Guesthouse: rats in the walls: free

Well, I was going to stay at another guesthouse in Pak Beng but went with the suggestion of a friend from VT and went here. It was a bit rushed as the boat got into the village late in the afternoon. We wanted to have a beer on the verandah overlooking the Mekong and there were loads of local touts trying to drag us to their various guesthouses.
On arrival, there was only one room left with a private bathroom and I let a person I had met on the boat have it as it seemed more important to them. The place was a simple bamboo hut affair and seemed quite cozy in the daylight. There was a nice mosquito net, a real plus in malaria plagued Laos.

We grabbed a very cold shower and headed out to the verandah for some beers and wound up eating there as well. The food was good enough, though unimaginative, and the beers went down easily in the company of our new friends from the boat trip. On returning to our now darkened room, it soon became apparent the true advantage of our mozzie net. It was quite cool and there was not one mosquito in sight but on lying down, we soon heard a scurrying sound in the wall behind our heads. Yup, rats would be our sleeping partners though it seemed slumber was the last thing on their minds. We felt them make their way across the mozzie net a few times too. In the morning, we were quite happy to get out of there! When packing, I noticed rodent droppings on the top on the net and was happy to have been protected by it even if not from mosquitoes. Still, not a bad value. We paid 85,000 KIP (11 bucks) for the double room, dinner, breakfast, some sandwiches for the boat and a fair amount of beers.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written November 26, 2004
Tip Photo

looking good before the lights went out

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5929

Pany Guest House: say hello to our little friend

This was a great little place in Veng Veng. It was easy to find, a very short walk across an open field from the bus station. The room was very clean with its own shower/toilet and the owner was friendly without being obtrusive. It was good value at 30,000 KIP (about $3.75) for a double with private bath.

Aside from the usual amenities, we soon noticed a big praying mantis on our curtain rod. It remained there throughout our stay and we felt particularly safe with our little friend guarding over us. He became like a little pet and we missed him once we moved on.

• Written November 26, 2004

simplicity at its best

Levady Guesthouse: Conveniently Located in the Heart of Luang Prabang

Levady Guesthouse is a newly-built guesthouse near to many major places of interest. It has only 6 rooms. The first room on the 2nd level has a balcony attached to it.

- Conveniently located

US$4 per night (Single)
US$6 per night (Double)

The Levady Guesthouse

BAP Guesthouse, Huay Xai: Overnight at Huay Xai, Border town of North Laos

I stayed at the BAP Guesthouse when I was in Huay Xai. It was a very normal backpackers' guesthouse with shared bathroom. At Hay Xai, there are many many guesthouses, so, shop around if you are not too tired or have the time.

I had a room with a single bed and a fan. The place was alright but rather warm in the afternoon. I couldn't sleep until the weather became cooler in the night.

I paid 100 Thai Baht for a night. You can pay in KIP but I did not have any KIP with me then, so, my payment was in Thai Baht.

The owner of BAP Guesthouse knows a great deal about the transport connections to other parts of Laos.

• Written May 8, 2005

Single Room at BAP Guesthouse

The Boat Landing Guesthouse: Ecotourism Lodge in Luang Namtha

I was reading about Laos and I came across information on this Guesthouse. Well, I do not think I will be staying there when I'm in Laos end-April 05 due to my packed schedule, but I would like to share with you this eco-lodge.

This EcoLodge is run by a local and an American from Colorado, with principles of ecotourism as the backbone of this place. By just going through the website, you will see that The Boat Landing Guesthouse is eco and absolutely environmentally friendly. The 10 rooms were built by the local community in Laos style, hot water is solar powered, not gas or electricity. The owners of the place also believe in capacity building to develop the capabilities of the locals by imparting knowledge and skills while running this ecolodge. They do run activities such as training of the local people to be responsible guides.

I believe this place will provide travellers with a memorable stay.

Prices from US$17 to US$45 per room (from 2 pax to a family room).

[Its website provides a lot of information on Northern Laos.]

• Related to: Backpacking, Eco-Tourism, Adventure Travel
  • Written April 10, 2005

~Extracted from its website~

Le Jardines de Vang Vieng: Nam Song River At Your Doorstep

As the title suggests, this place is located by the Nam Song River. They have nice bangalows for rent. They recently re-built their bangalows and offer brick bangalows instead of huts.

- By the Nam Song
- Nice restaurant
- Attached bathroom (Big!)
- Fan-cooled rooms

Note : Electricity and water supply can be erratic at times.

US$8 per bangalow for 2 pax and US$5 for one pax.

Vang Vieng Nam Song River

Vayakorn Hotel (Vientiane): Comfortable Yet Very Affordable - Good Value For $

I was looking for more comfort at this final city which I visited during my stay in Laos. And Vayakorn was it. This hotel gets booked-out during weekends. So, pre-booking is recommended. (I did not pre-book though. I took the last available room.)

Very good value for money :
- City centre, conveniently located
- Etc

Price for a Double / Twin : US$12

Vayakorn Hotel

Nong Khiaw - Sunset Guesthouse: Charming Place with Great Sunset View

The Sunset Guesthouse is a cool sunset point. The guesthouse is located on the opposite side of the river.

I paid 20,000 KIP for the single room. Bathroom and toilet are outside.

The boss speaks English. The room is comfortable and clean. The restaurant serves very delicious food. The helpers working in the guesthouse are polite and helpful.

I will recommend this place.

• Written May 27, 2005

Sunset from Sunset Guesthouse

Muang Khua - Nam Ou Guesthouse: Basic Accommodation By The Nam Ou River

The rather old Nam Ou Guesthouse provides basic accommodation and it is located at the Nam Ou River. My stay there was alright and I cannot complain about the room being filty as the single room was cheap.

I paid 20,000 KIP (US$2) per night. The bathroom was downstairs though. They do have ensuite rooms but they are more expensive.

The view of Nam Ou River at its restaurant was great.

The owner speaks English and French.

• Written May 27, 2005

Nam Ou Guest House

Many Chan Guesthouse: Guesthouses in Luang Namtha

There are many guesthouses in Luang Namtha. From the moment you touch down at the bus station, you will see many of them around. Those establishments nearer to the bus station are run by Chinese.

As you walk further into the town area where tbackpackers usually stay (where the shop-lot of Loas Wildside is situated), there are many nice and cozy places.

I stayed at the Many Chan Guesthouse. It is a wooden shophouse whereby the 2nd level has some 6-8 rooms. All rooms come with fan and bathrooms are shared. They have 3 bathrooms and 1 is with hot shower. I paid US$3 for a room.

There is also a restaurant below. The food there is nice.

• Written May 9, 2005

Many Chan Guest House

• easterntrekker profile photo easterntrekker
  • Reviews: 2084

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beau Rivage Mekong: Stay on the river

This was a great little place to stay. The rooms had an artistic flair , high ceilings rain shower , almost spa like . Spotless and the greatest location . Right on the river.

There was always a tuk tuk outside to take you anywhere you want to go .

Owned by an Aussie.....very friendly. ...the price at $22.00 a night for two , including breakfast . What can I say!!

Fabulous location. Right on the river. There are so many places to eat outside your door , with unbeatable views.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Seniors, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 15, 2006

Great little river hotel

• xaver profile photo xaver
  • Reviews: 1230

guest houses

I always found nice and cheap accomodations in Laos I always looked for a room with bath, hot shower and a/c and I spent from 7 to 18 euro per night.
I did not find the breathless organisation of vietnam here, but people were often helpful and could help me arranging some excursions.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written October 9, 2003

houses

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Santi Hotel & Resort

This old charming hotel in Luang Phabang is one of the best choices if you want high class accomodation there.
It is a small colonial hotel, former Royal Building, with a "modern" annex building.
Centrally located, within walking distance to everything in the centre, it offers doubles with A/C including buffet breakfast for 65 USD.

• Written September 8, 2003

The main building

• calcaf38 profile photo calcaf38
  • Reviews: 499

Day Inn Hotel: A quietly evocative hotel in sleepy Vientiane

The Day Inn Hotel (not affiliated with Days Inn) is centrally situated near the Black Stupa in Vientiane. You can walk easily anywhere (just watch your step for those sidewalk death traps).

Unlike other hotels in Vientiane that have a derelict 1970 Atlantic City look, the Day Inn is bright, clean and very atmospheric. Imagine a very chic sanitarium, with green marble stairways and white-and-rattan rooms.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Arts and Culture
  • Written December 30, 2004

• Pichayada profile photo Pichayada
  • Reviews: 102

Tavonsouk Bangalow: Bangalow in Vanvieng

Just average. A room with balcony to see sunset, a shower room and toilet, and air conditioning. Good scenery at the balcony.

• Written December 1, 2004