Luang Prabang Hotels

Our Members Say

• pfsmalo profile photo pfsmalo
  • Reviews: 1482

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Somphong, Luang Prabang.: Lovely place.

Back to Luang Prabang again and decided a change of scenery would be good and opted for this guesthouse on the peninsula facing the Nam Khan river and just round the corner from the Wat Xiengthong the largest and most revered temple in Luang Prabang. A lovely tiled balcony ran the length of the rooms where you could sit out during the day. Although the rooms were not that big the decoration was impeccable and well done. The manageress helped us out with the 'phone to Vientiane and gave us a couple of tips on restos close to the hotel. They also rent bikes for 15.000 LAK per day. Breakfast is taken acrss the road on a terrace overlooking the Nam Khan river. We booked the van to airport through the hotel for 80.000 LAK for the four of us.

Alittle pricier than most at 32€ per night but this is the pricy end of Luang Prabang and with b'fast included it was worth a little more.

THe area along the river, and also closeness to the main temples .

• Written May 8, 2014
Tip Photo

The new annexe next door.

• pfsmalo profile photo pfsmalo
  • Reviews: 1482

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Lakhangthong guesthouse, Luang Prabang.: Lucky with half/price accomodation.

Originally booked in at the Luang Prabang Boutique house for two rooms, upon arrival we were told there was only one room etc etc and one room in another hotel with the same owner. After much discussion and two beers, off we went to look at the "other" hotel. Finally managed to get two rooms here at exactly the same conditions (price + b'fast inc) as the other place. These rooms were so much bigger and with a bath/shower. Breakfast was taken on the patio that runs along the front of the rooms. From then on the owner couldn't do enough for us although it was costing him money. We paid exactly the same price as at the LP Boutique House, ie: 90€ for the three nights instead of 210€ that is the asking price here. A very comfortable stay, even more so that we were paying even less than we should. I seriously don't think the hotel is worth the 70€ per night, but it is a very comfortable hotel.

• Written April 23, 2014

• IreneMcKay profile photo IreneMcKay
  • Reviews: 1439

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chitchareune Mouang Luang Hotel: Good central location.

This hotel is conveniently located for all of Luang Prabang's main sights. Check in was efficient. Staff were quiet but pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable. There was no tea/coffee making facilities and no safe.

Due to a security light outside, the room was very bright at night. However, since I had an airline eye-mask I was fine with this.I recommend bringing one with you.

The hotel looked like an old wooden palace. It was quiet at night. I liked the building.

The hotel grounds were pleasant and there was a kidney shaped swimming pool.

Breakfast was reasonable, not terribly exciting: fried egg, bacon, congee, noodles, pancakes, cereal, fruit, tea, coffee, juices, bread, toast.

The hotel did not provide free airport transfer, but arranged us a transfer to the airport for 50,000 kip.

I would stay here again for the location.

Good location.

• Written March 31, 2013

The pool.

• IreneMcKay profile photo IreneMcKay
  • Reviews: 1439

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

My Dream Boutique Hotel: Pleasant gardens on quiet riverside location.

This hotel included free pick up from the airport and as soon as we stepped out of immigration, there was a young man, holding up our names, waiting for us. We were driven straight to the hotel. Our driver was pleasant and friendly, but did not try any hard sell stuff on us.

At the hotel the reception staff were very pleasant and brought us a welcome drink, gave us a free map, said they were available for advice, trips etc and showed us to our room.

The room was comfortable enough. It had an in-room safe with no instructions. I messed up using it and accidently locked it without being able to re-open it. They were nice about this and fixed it for me. We had a kettle and a generous amount of free tea/coffee supplies. The kettle's plug did not fit the sockets in the room though and I had to go and ask for an adapter.

The room was a bit dark, but had a comfortable bed with a mosquito net, a TV which we did not use and some storage facilities. The room was very clean.

Toiletries such as shampoo, shower gel, soap and body lotion were provided in the bathroom. There was a shower, no bath. The shower caused water to go all over the bathroom and the water tended to stay on the floor tiles rather than drain which was a minor inconvenience. The room had a balcony.

The hotel had beautiful gardens which stretched down to the Nam Khan River. They were flower-filled, colourful and peaceful. There were seats and sun longers for guests by the river's edge.

The hotel had a small but clean and refreshing pool. We swam every day of our stay.

Breakfast had two or three local dishes, baguette, cheese, cold meat, salad, cereal, fruit. You could order eggs to be cooked fresh for you. The coffee was very good.

We had very pleasant evening meals in the hotel restaurant, too. I recommend the chicken orlam which was lovely. My husband enjoyed the pork fried rice.

When we checked out the staff drove us to our next hotel in Luang Prabang free of charge. I thought the staff were very friendly and kind.

The hotel is located on the other side of the Nam Khan River from the town centre. You could walk in over the bamboo bridge 5000kip charge (dry season only) or over the old bridge. It took maybe 15 minutes to the centre on foot. The hotel provided free transport to the night market each night at 7pm and back at 9pm. We did not use this.

There was a restaurant nearby, above the bamboo bridge and we also ate in the nearby Bel Air Resort restaurant - lovely.

I would stay here again, mainly because the staff were so nice. The hotel was very quiet at night and we slept well.

Lovely gardens, pleasant, helpful, friendly staff.

• Written March 31, 2013
Tip Photo

Beautiful, peaceful, riverside gardens.

• Ramonq profile photo Ramonq
  • Reviews: 407

Riverside Guesthouse: Breakfast by the river

Stayed here for a week. It's near the tip of the peninsula where old Luang Prabang lies, therefore most of the town's historic sites are nearby. There was a power cut in the whole town for 5 hours during my stay, but I cannot blame the guesthouse for having no electricity then. Rooms are smaller than usual, but are kept tidy each day, but it has aircon, hot water and free wi-fi. It met my needs adequately and it's in the quieter section of the town, so that means you can't get anything quieter than this. Hear cicadas chirping all day and night.

Built in a stylish Laotian-French fusion architecture of polished tropical hardwood. You have breakfast across the road by the river. Great lush view of the Nam Kang river. It's not far from the historic and beautiful Xieng Thong Wat where the monks start and end their daily early dawn procession.

• Written May 1, 2012
Tip Photo

• davidjo profile photo davidjo
  • Reviews: 2115

MAO PHASHOK: reasonable priced GH 10 min from centre

We stayed 4 nights at this pleasant GH, which consists of an older building and a newer building which overlooks the river Khan. We took a fan room with toilet/shower for 60,000 a night, but better class rooms are available in the newer building. The staff were friendly and allowed us to watch football from UK in the small hours of the morning. Free coffee and bananas are on offer and as most of the other GH'S there is an informative notice board of day trips and onward travel. I am sure that there are plenty similar GH'S but we checked a few out and they wanted ridiculous prices for the same standard of accommodation.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written March 2, 2012

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 805

Thavisouk Guesthouse: Good value

Small guesthouse not far from the center, 60000 Kip for 2 bed room with bathroom, 100000 Kip with aircon, could do with a bit of renovation, but good value for the price.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Historical Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written February 20, 2012

Luang Prabang

• talismanic profile photo talismanic
  • Reviews: 5

Villa Somphong: Luang Prabang's new

I had a great four-night stay at the Villa Somphong. Even though my room was on the small side with minimal storage space it was quite sufficient for my needs and was very comfortable. Breakfast is taken on the river terrace and though the menu is limited the food is cooked to perfection and is delicious. The guesthouse also has motorbikes and bicycles for hire. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to LPB and I recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone.

The Villa Somphong overlooks the Nam Khan (river) and it has been coverted into a guesthouse by the family that used to live there. It has only been open four months and is squeaky clean and very new. The staff are very helpful and the lady owner also runs an adjoining travel agency and can organise any trips you would like to do.

• Related to: Family Travel, Adventure Travel, Photography
  • Written August 23, 2010

• talismanic profile photo talismanic
  • Reviews: 5

VILLA SOMPHONG: Great new guesthouse

The guesthouse is only four months old and is exceptionally clean. The former house owner, who was also born there, coverted it into a guesthouse and she manages it and also runs the travel agency in the same building. The staff are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about Luang Prabang and surrounding areas and countries.

There are only seven rooms and each has a/c and an en suite bathroom. Breakfast is taken on the terrace outside or on another terrace across the road overlooking ghe Nam Khan. There is free wi-fi throughout the property which is handy. There is also car, motorbike or bicycle rental available and a laundry service. There is also free transportation to the airport or bus station.

The guesthouse is very conveniently located being only a short walk into the centre of town and it is near many restaurants and shops.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written August 11, 2010

• kate1278 profile photo kate1278
  • Reviews: 1

Souk Lan Xang Guesthouse: Great value hidden guesthouse in Luang Prabang

After trying a couple of other guesthouses in the area, I stumbled across this little hidden gem. It's not that easy to find, down a quiet alley between the Mekong and Wat Nong temple. But it's worth looking for if you're after a lovely, quiet room and good value. The guesthouse is pretty new - as I understood, the current owners inherited the house from their grandfather and have recently converted it into a guesthouse. The best and biggest rooms are upstairs (rooms 1 and 2). I stayed for 5 nights and negotiated a discounted rate of $20 a night. I stayed in room 2, which was very spacious (1 double bed and one single bed) with a fan, air conditioning, cable television, free wifi and modern ensuite bathroom. Shower had hot and cold water and the pressure was very good. The guesthouse offers breakfast for an extra $5 a day, however this is optional. As there are a number of very nice restaurants just minutes away offering cheaper breakfasts, I opted out of theirs. They do make an excellent banana pancake though (the staff got up early and made one for me "for the road" when i left) and there is tea and coffee available all day at reception. The staff in general were helpful and trustworthy, in particular the manager Tibay who also spoke excellent english. Although you won't get a room with a view at this guesthouse, in terms of location, room standard and value for money this place is great. Highly recommended.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Historical Travel
  • Written June 22, 2010

Bedroom

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

Namma Vong Guesthouse: Opposite Vat Xieng Thong

I arrived in Luang Prabang on the slowboat from Pak Beng, a small village upstream on the Mekong, and immediately set to work by finding somewhere to stay. I walked down the street from the boat dock to the main street that runs through the old town to the night market and then towards the end of the peninsula in the vain hope of finding a nice, small and welcoming guesthouse. After much roaming around, a young chap on his motorbike came over and showed me a laminated card with some photos of his guesthouse which looked OK so I decided to take a look. The only thing was, was that his guesthouse was a bit further down the road, opposite the Vat Xieng Thong. The first room he showed me was one downstairs which I dismissed and then he showed me one upstairs which was much better with a doubled bed, a/c, fan, cable TV, but no other furniture and a hot water shower even though the drains smelt a bit smelly. The guys are very friendly and welcoming but the guesthouse is a little bit of a walk from the main restaurants and market areas.

• Written April 22, 2010
Tip Photo

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1893

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mixay Guesthouse.: Not spectacular but adequate.

I suspect this place serves as a sort of overspill for the nearby Jaliya Guesthouse which seems to feature in guidebooks and, indeed, this is how I ended up here. The Jaliya was full and the lady there suggested the Mixay a couple of doors along, saying she would have a room free the next day.

I was greeted with great friendliness which is the trademark of all the staff here although not all speak much English. I took a fan room as I do not like air-con (although these are available) which was situated on the upper floor of the block out the back. It is spotlessly clean, if basic, with a comfy bed, satellite TV and ensuite. A word of warning though for those of you used to travelling in this region. Quite often the advertised "hot" water translates as vaguely lukewarm, quite sufficient in this climate. The electric shower here is amongst the most efficient I have yet encountered and you need to be careful not to scald yourself.

Just one slight annoyance is that it is right on the flightpath to the airport, although there are no night flights so it does not disturb your sleep.

The Mixay will never win any awards but it is a perfectly adequate, clean and secure place to stay. At time of writing I have been here a week and will be here a while longer.

Nothing unique, jsut a good budget option.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 1, 2010
Tip Photo

Mixay Guesthouse, Luang Prabang, Lao.

• andreilerawn profile photo andreilerawn
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Thavisouk Guest House: Beware of Thavisouk Guest House

I had a real bad experience while staying in Thavisouk Guest House.

1. During my second day of stay, I lost my 150USD camera that was left just inside the room. When I reported to the receptionist about the missing camera, they kept on defending that the hotel has no spare key (which is really impossible!!!). The bad thing is that they did not even tried to help me to look for the camera inside the room and they keep on telling me that I lost the camera while outside (which is a lie since I 100% remembered not carrying my camera outside while just eating few blocks away).

2. Compared with other cheap guesthouses that I stayed before, Thavisouk didn't cleaned my room whenever I went outside.

3. The receptionists know limited English (which is not a huge problem for me). But they won't talk to you even you go near to the reception area. It's seems that you are not welcome in the guesthouse.

Another traveler had also lost his flashlight while staying in this guest house (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1563871&start=0&tstart=0). Though much cheaper compared to my camera, still it shows that this guest house steals a lot from guests.

Other similar bad experiences from other travelers are listed in Thavisouk's web portal: http://www.luang-prabang-hotels.com/Thavisouk_Guesthouse/accm_your_host

So travelers, beware of Thavisouk Guest House.

No great view, no pool..just basic room

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written December 27, 2009

Beware of Thavisouk Guest House in Luang Prabang

• DSwede profile photo DSwede
  • Reviews: 1740

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chanh Tha Phone Guesthouse: Comfortable stay on "guesthouse road"

After having a long bus ride, arriving late, the last thing we wanted was to spend hours searching for the best room rates in town. Thankfully in the off-season, there are too many guest houses and are desperate for business. We easily negotiated ~20,000 kip off the nightly rate down to 50,000 kip/night.

The guesthouse was simple but nice enough. The rooms were clean and those on the ground floor were doubles with private bathrooms. Upstairs rooms had shared communal bathrooms.

The only downside is that if you are a light sleeper, the curtains do not stop much light. Also, the neighbors did wake early so you may hear the clanking of dishes.

Fan, comfortable bed, private hot water, bottled water, towels, etc.

If you want shared bathroom (upstairs rooms), price may be ~25,000 kip less.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written November 2, 2009

• teevee profile photo teevee
  • Reviews: 29

Muong Lao Guest House,LP: Luang Prabang's Muong Lao Guest house

Please go to my 'things to do' tip. You'll find lots of information on Muong Lao Guest House. Description,pictures,price and contact details. It is affordable and good value. One shot here to tease ;)

:) Go to 'things to do' tip please