Luang Prabang Hotels

Our Members Say

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1285

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Central backpackers: Cheap but not as central as the name suggests

Central backpackers is located about a ten min walk from the night market on a quieter street, just across from where we stayed our first two night the boutique hotel and by coincidence we walked in and found the same couple on reception as our hotel. Turns out they own both places!! The backpackers half price though at 100k kip for a double ensuite and aircon and TV and breakfast. Wifi as ever pretty flakey. Decent enough for the cheaper price.

• Written October 8, 2014

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1285

Lakhangtong boutique hotel: Going posh in LP

Lakhangtong boutique hotel is located about ten minutes from the night market so it's slightly out of the way but there are other guesthouses and backpackers in the area too.
It's a great place down a reasonably quiet street.
They give fruit and yoghurt on arrival and tea/coffee for free on demand.
The rooms are great with incredibly high ceiling, 4 poster bed and even a bath, with boutiquey styled sink and toilet. TV and aircon included. All this for $24 a night including breakfast. They also give you free bikes to use (pretty naff but they do for going round town but not on any dirt tracks).
Wifi as with everywhere throughout Asia on our trip is pretty slow and very flakey if at all in the rooms.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written October 8, 2014

• Ramonq profile photo Ramonq
  • Reviews: 407

Riverside Guesthouse: Breakfast by the river

Stayed here for a week. It's near the tip of the peninsula where old Luang Prabang lies, therefore most of the town's historic sites are nearby. There was a power cut in the whole town for 5 hours during my stay, but I cannot blame the guesthouse for having no electricity then. Rooms are smaller than usual, but are kept tidy each day, but it has aircon, hot water and free wi-fi. It met my needs adequately and it's in the quieter section of the town, so that means you can't get anything quieter than this. Hear cicadas chirping all day and night.

Built in a stylish Laotian-French fusion architecture of polished tropical hardwood. You have breakfast across the road by the river. Great lush view of the Nam Kang river. It's not far from the historic and beautiful Xieng Thong Wat where the monks start and end their daily early dawn procession.

• Written May 1, 2012
Tip Photo

• davidjo profile photo davidjo
  • Reviews: 3330

MAO PHASHOK: reasonable priced GH 10 min from centre

We stayed 4 nights at this pleasant GH, which consists of an older building and a newer building which overlooks the river Khan. We took a fan room with toilet/shower for 60,000 a night, but better class rooms are available in the newer building. The staff were friendly and allowed us to watch football from UK in the small hours of the morning. Free coffee and bananas are on offer and as most of the other GH'S there is an informative notice board of day trips and onward travel. I am sure that there are plenty similar GH'S but we checked a few out and they wanted ridiculous prices for the same standard of accommodation.

• Written March 2, 2012

• lotharscheer profile photo lotharscheer
  • Reviews: 1012

Thavisouk Guesthouse: Good value

Small guesthouse not far from the center, 60000 Kip for 2 bed room with bathroom, 100000 Kip with aircon, could do with a bit of renovation, but good value for the price.

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written February 20, 2012

Luang Prabang

• talismanic profile photo talismanic
  • Reviews: 6

Villa Somphong: Luang Prabang's new

I had a great four-night stay at the Villa Somphong. Even though my room was on the small side with minimal storage space it was quite sufficient for my needs and was very comfortable. Breakfast is taken on the river terrace and though the menu is limited the food is cooked to perfection and is delicious. The guesthouse also has motorbikes and bicycles for hire. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to LPB and I recommend it wholeheartedly to everyone.

The Villa Somphong overlooks the Nam Khan (river) and it has been coverted into a guesthouse by the family that used to live there. It has only been open four months and is squeaky clean and very new. The staff are very helpful and the lady owner also runs an adjoining travel agency and can organise any trips you would like to do.

• Related to: Family Travel, Adventure Travel, Photography
  • Written August 23, 2010

• kate1278 profile photo kate1278
  • Reviews: 1

Souk Lan Xang Guesthouse: Great value hidden guesthouse in Luang Prabang

After trying a couple of other guesthouses in the area, I stumbled across this little hidden gem. It's not that easy to find, down a quiet alley between the Mekong and Wat Nong temple. But it's worth looking for if you're after a lovely, quiet room and good value. The guesthouse is pretty new - as I understood, the current owners inherited the house from their grandfather and have recently converted it into a guesthouse. The best and biggest rooms are upstairs (rooms 1 and 2). I stayed for 5 nights and negotiated a discounted rate of $20 a night. I stayed in room 2, which was very spacious (1 double bed and one single bed) with a fan, air conditioning, cable television, free wifi and modern ensuite bathroom. Shower had hot and cold water and the pressure was very good. The guesthouse offers breakfast for an extra $5 a day, however this is optional. As there are a number of very nice restaurants just minutes away offering cheaper breakfasts, I opted out of theirs. They do make an excellent banana pancake though (the staff got up early and made one for me "for the road" when i left) and there is tea and coffee available all day at reception. The staff in general were helpful and trustworthy, in particular the manager Tibay who also spoke excellent english. Although you won't get a room with a view at this guesthouse, in terms of location, room standard and value for money this place is great. Highly recommended.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Historical Travel
  • Written June 22, 2010

Bedroom

• Willettsworld profile photo Willettsworld
  • Reviews: 8151

Namma Vong Guesthouse: Opposite Vat Xieng Thong

I arrived in Luang Prabang on the slowboat from Pak Beng, a small village upstream on the Mekong, and immediately set to work by finding somewhere to stay. I walked down the street from the boat dock to the main street that runs through the old town to the night market and then towards the end of the peninsula in the vain hope of finding a nice, small and welcoming guesthouse. After much roaming around, a young chap on his motorbike came over and showed me a laminated card with some photos of his guesthouse which looked OK so I decided to take a look. The only thing was, was that his guesthouse was a bit further down the road, opposite the Vat Xieng Thong. The first room he showed me was one downstairs which I dismissed and then he showed me one upstairs which was much better with a doubled bed, a/c, fan, cable TV, but no other furniture and a hot water shower even though the drains smelt a bit smelly. The guys are very friendly and welcoming but the guesthouse is a little bit of a walk from the main restaurants and market areas.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written April 22, 2010
Tip Photo

• andreilerawn profile photo andreilerawn
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Thavisouk Guest House: Beware of Thavisouk Guest House

I had a real bad experience while staying in Thavisouk Guest House.

1. During my second day of stay, I lost my 150USD camera that was left just inside the room. When I reported to the receptionist about the missing camera, they kept on defending that the hotel has no spare key (which is really impossible!!!). The bad thing is that they did not even tried to help me to look for the camera inside the room and they keep on telling me that I lost the camera while outside (which is a lie since I 100% remembered not carrying my camera outside while just eating few blocks away).

2. Compared with other cheap guesthouses that I stayed before, Thavisouk didn't cleaned my room whenever I went outside.

3. The receptionists know limited English (which is not a huge problem for me). But they won't talk to you even you go near to the reception area. It's seems that you are not welcome in the guesthouse.

Another traveler had also lost his flashlight while staying in this guest house (http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1563871&start=0&tstart=0). Though much cheaper compared to my camera, still it shows that this guest house steals a lot from guests.

Other similar bad experiences from other travelers are listed in Thavisouk's web portal: http://www.luang-prabang-hotels.com/Thavisouk_Guesthouse/accm_your_host

So travelers, beware of Thavisouk Guest House.

No great view, no pool..just basic room

• Written December 27, 2009

Beware of Thavisouk Guest House in Luang Prabang

• teevee profile photo teevee
  • Reviews: 29

Muong Lao Guest House,LP: Luang Prabang's Muong Lao Guest house

Please go to my 'things to do' tip. You'll find lots of information on Muong Lao Guest House. Description,pictures,price and contact details. It is affordable and good value. One shot here to tease ;)

:) Go to 'things to do' tip please

• Written March 4, 2009

• blacksnail profile photo blacksnail
  • Reviews: 82

Phousi Guesthouse: Great Location, Great Room

We extended our stay in Luang Prabang because we missed the bus to Phonsavan. the reason why we came to Phousi Guesthouse is because we were served by a very friendly waiter cum guesthouse receptionist the day b4 during Lunch. Other than the very nice waiter, the environment was great, a outdoor restaurant with very nice landscape right outside the rooms. and we have free Bananas. hehe

The Room is like a 3 stars hotel quality with TV, towel, and everything is nicely decorated.

its only USD15 for a Fan room and USD 20 for an aircon room. But the Fan room was really good enuf.

Walking out from the guesthouse, you will see the Royal Museum.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 16, 2008

• tremendopunto profile photo tremendopunto
  • Reviews: 629

PaPhai Guesthouse:: stay in an old traditional Lao style house

The Paphai Guesthouse is a nice old traditional wooden Lao house - and I have to say you can see and feel every year of this old house. You can see the light through the wooden floors and roof. Rooms are seperated by bamboo walls - but it is a lovely family run place.
Double room was 5 USD.

• Written July 10, 2008

PaPhai Guesthouse, Luang Prabang

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 339

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Viradesa Guesthouse: Cheap

I stayed at this hotel for one night in April, 2008 upon arrival in Luang Prabang. I paid a negotiated $14 USD total for a private ensuite. No breakfast. Room was large, with a bed and a dresser/writing table. No TV, no fridge, no A/C, one very noisy fan, no internet service, bed had no top sheet, only a bottom and a very heavy blanket. No lamps, ceiling lights had only bulbs, no shades. Place was acceptably clean, not spotless. Overall, rather bleak and drab feeling to the room. Staff was not overly friendly or helpful. Place was a bit on the noisy side in the evenings due to other guests partying. I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel.
May be a good choice for single backpackers wishing to stay in one of their dorm rooms. I do not recommend their ensuites though.

• Written June 10, 2008

• blacksnail profile photo blacksnail
  • Reviews: 82

Vanvisa Guesthouse: a Very Laotian Guesthouse

The guesthouse is located within 1 min walking distance to the Mekong River. Its managed by a lady name Vandara and she weave clothes for making a living too. So you will see a lot of textiles and traditional weaving machine in the house. Its very interesting!
There are a lot of traditional musical instrument placed outside our room which we can play with it. and a nice place for us to relax.

the bed is a bit hard, but the room is nice and clean! I like this place.

I paid USD 15 for a double bed room ensuite

Traditional and Relax

Fan only

• Related to: Women's Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written June 6, 2008

• ytanay profile photo ytanay
  • Reviews: 35

Chanthanome Guesthouse: Accomodation in Luang Prabang

It was rather busy in Luang Prabang and I found this little guesthouse by chance. It's near the market and the river. I forgot to take pictures of the room but i remember it as being a rather descent size with a double bed and private bathroom with hot shower. It can be a little bit noisy as it's near the market but i'd imagine it's even noisier if you stay on the main street. Overall, good value for money. I paid USD15/night, no breakfast.

Conveniently located near the market.

• Written May 22, 2008