Luang Prabang Hotels

Our Members Say

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5881

Phonetavy Guesthouse: a true Lao place to stay

I guess I would have gotten a room with private facilities if I had known how much I would be using the toilet during our stay in town but at least it was just across the hall! The room was a virtual oasis after the rat infested hut we stayed at in Pak Beng. lol

I have to admit this was not our first choice as all the most popular places seemed to be full when we arrived but looking back on it, it was a great local place devoid of backpackers. It was a bit of a walk to the riverfront but it was very centrally located for visiting temples and getting to the better and more out of the way places to eat. At 30,000 Kip ($3.75) for a double, it was a clean bargain.

• Written December 6, 2004

on a peaceful street

• mke1963 profile photo mke1963
  • Reviews: 1409

Thongbay Guest House: Thatched wooden cabins overlooking the Nam Kan

A ten-minute tuk-tuk ride into town, the Thongbay Guest House is certainly not central, but it is in a remarkable location on the top of the river bank high above the Nam Khan river. The nince cabins are built in Lao Lum style, on short stilts; four of them are built on stilts above the river bank. Be warned that if you do get a riverside cabin, you are not going to do very much while you are in Louang Phabang!
The overhanging thatch shelters a verandah which has beautiful mats and a slow table for that chilled cocktail.
The cabins surround a charming small garden (there is no pool despite what it says in the brochure). The site is secluded and private, and the views along the palm-lined verdant river bank to Phousi and the bridges is very relaxing.
Inside, the cabins, the large bed (or beds) is very hard, as are the bolster-type pillows. A woodne frame holds the mosquito net. The walls are covered in woven rattan, and their are local cottons and silks on the walls.
The bathrooms are tiled, and a translucent ceiling creates a light and airy feel. However, the instant water heater provides only takes the chill off the cold water. This is an issue in the cold dry season.
At $17 per cabin per night, this is remarkable value for money.

Breakfast is served in your room, on your verandah, at a table in the garden, or on the river bank: pretty much wherever you ask them to put the tray down.

Note that tour groups are aware of Thongbay and you would be advised to book in advance, especially if you want a riverside cabin.

• Written January 8, 2004

• sieffron profile photo sieffron
  • Reviews: 175

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pakam Guesthouse: Semi-Soft Beds, in Laos!

Most accommodations in Laos offer bedding that makes it feel as though the mattress was filled with cement mixer. Sure, it's good for the backs of those who sleep on them, but us side-sleepers need a little more cushioning.
The beds at Pakam Guethouse were softer than any others I encountered in Laos. It is one of many positive features that this guesthouse has going for it. Pakam is centrally located in between the 50 meters of space separating the Royal Palace Museum and the Mekong River, the rooms and large attached bathrooms are spotless, the service is friendly, and there's a second floor balcony where you can sit on teak furniture and guzzle big bottles of Beer Lao. It's $6 for a room if you're by yourself and $7 if you're sharing. The rooms are also decently appointed with good lighting, a functioning fan attached to a wall, a teak dresser, and spotless tile floors that keep the dust factor to an absolute minimum. This is an excellent choice at the lower end of Luang Prabang's accommodations' price scale.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written March 21, 2006

Pakam Guesthouse

• hana_aya profile photo hana_aya
  • Reviews: 74

Thavesuk guesthouse: Thavesuk guesthouse

We stayed here by recommend from P'patt ( the VTer).She had helped us a lot -she make the reservation and bargain for the special price for us before we arrived there and she went to for picked us up at the pier.I dont know how to say thank for her big helpful
..Thank you so much P' patt ..
The manager was so friendly and kind girl .There was the clean room with hot shower and also not so far from the market.

And so sorry i have picture to show you i still wonder why i forgot to took a picture there.

• Related to: Backpacking
  • Written January 22, 2004

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

Villa Santi Hotel & Resort

If you are looking for relax and some luxury in LP this is the place. I don't use to travel on a high budget, but this was my last night in Laos and I decided to go for it, what the Hell!
I checked in at noon and stayed at the room till 5pm, then went for a short walk and dinner and back to the hotel, where I stayed reading, hearing music, and relaxing in its beautiful verandas...

It is located in the very center of LP, at walking distance to everything, 1 minute from the boats, the main shops, monasteries...
It is a 120 years old French-Laotian building that used to be a Royal House. They have 2 buildings, close to one another. The "oldest" is the hotel and the other is the Resort. The Hotel is nicer but the Resort is more peaceful and bigger rooms.
65 USD for the double, breakfast included. Fruit welcome basket too. A/C, of course.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written September 1, 2003

A nice veranda

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

Heritage Guest House

I arrived in LP late in the evening. Besides, I had no bookguide on the town, so I had no idea of where I was going to sleep. So I ask my bus companion for a guide and had a quick look at accomodations. It seemed the Sakkarine road area, near Phousit Hill, was full of nice guesthouses, so there I told the taxi to drive me...
But when I arrived it was dark, and there were not many signs in the main street. So I just went into the first one I found. It was an old local guesthouse with small, simple, but clean rooms, for 5 USD the room.
The next morning I could see that the house I was sleeping in was a nice french colonial old house, very charming indeed, so it seems I made a good choice!

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 3, 2003

The main facade

• li-anne profile photo li-anne
  • Reviews: 65

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Suan Keo Guesthouse, Luang Prabang: Great & comfortable guesthouse, good value!

We stayed for one week in this small guesthouse in Luang Prabang. It's in the silversmitting area, in a small street near the Mekong River.
The rooms are spotless clean, our one had fan (they only have 1 room with airco). We payed 7 $ a night.
The owners are very friendly. Breakfast is not included. Actually they don't serve breakfast at all. But the neighbour does, so it's not a problem.
This geusthouse can do laundry for very reasonable price.
Very good value for money and lovely people.
They can also give you good tips about trips or on other subjects. Nice family.
Strongly recommended

Suan Keo guesthouse front

• Tedsocoa profile photo Tedsocoa
  • Reviews: 109

MALIDA GUESTHOUSE: A nice and clean Guesthouse

A bit outside the city-center, this guesthouse is situated in a very quiet quartier of L.P.
A small but very clean guesthouse of about 12 rooms, with aircom or fan, or both, bathrooms with shower; I stayed for about a week here, and I never saw a hotel/guesthouse so clean as this one. Btw; when entering, you are asked to put your shoes off.
Prices depend on room equipment and are from 6 to 12 USD, excl.breakfast. But for 2 USD you can order an excellent american breakfast what can be taken on the balcony, overlooking a very quiet street, while listening to the music of the neighbours on the other side of the street.

Excellent guesthouse at low price, very clean and good service. You can order a drink to have in the garden or on the balcony. Compared to many other guesthouses in LP, most of them laying near the Mekong river, this is a good choise.
For one USD per day, they will rent you a bicycle, which is en excellent way to discover LP.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written March 28, 2007

Entrance of Malida Guesthouse

• strollingfish profile photo strollingfish
  • Reviews: 147

Vanvisa Guesthouse: Vanvisa Guesthouse

Family-run guesthouse. Located in a beatufil and quiet lane. The single room has a bed big enough for 3-4 person. The 2nd floor and back extension are wooden constructed. Shoes are required to take off before entering.

Single room with bathroom $10, without bathroom $6. They also have room with 3 beds.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Singles
  • Written December 2, 2005

view form the room

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mixay Guesthouse.: Not spectacular but adequate.

I suspect this place serves as a sort of overspill for the nearby Jaliya Guesthouse which seems to feature in guidebooks and, indeed, this is how I ended up here. The Jaliya was full and the lady there suggested the Mixay a couple of doors along, saying she would have a room free the next day.

I was greeted with great friendliness which is the trademark of all the staff here although not all speak much English. I took a fan room as I do not like air-con (although these are available) which was situated on the upper floor of the block out the back. It is spotlessly clean, if basic, with a comfy bed, satellite TV and ensuite. A word of warning though for those of you used to travelling in this region. Quite often the advertised "hot" water translates as vaguely lukewarm, quite sufficient in this climate. The electric shower here is amongst the most efficient I have yet encountered and you need to be careful not to scald yourself.

Just one slight annoyance is that it is right on the flightpath to the airport, although there are no night flights so it does not disturb your sleep.

The Mixay will never win any awards but it is a perfectly adequate, clean and secure place to stay. At time of writing I have been here a week and will be here a while longer.

Nothing unique, jsut a good budget option.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 1, 2010
Tip Photo

Mixay Guesthouse, Luang Prabang, Lao.

• icyjo24 profile photo icyjo24
  • Reviews: 275

Rattana Guesthouse

There are many guesthouses in Luang Prabang so usually you can find a place to stay quite easily by scouting around unless its the peak season.

This guesthouse is located a short distance away from the busy street of Thanon Sisavangvong, in the quieter main street of Thanon Chao Fa Ngum. A nice and pleasant guesthouse where you can arrange transport to other parts of Laos. I went backpacking alone but I manage to find another Singaporean to share a double room here. It's cheaper this way at US$3.50 per pax.

Price in June: US$7, or 70,000 KIP for a double room with private bathroom.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written July 18, 2005

• ihateveg profile photo ihateveg
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Philaylack: Beautiful Guesthouse and Rooms, Budget Price!

Beautiful and romantic rooms that are nicely decorated and well maintained. We paid 110000 Kip which is a great price for such a nice room. Definitely one of the guest houses with the most personality in Laos.

Nice lighting, beautiful wooden floors and comfortable bed.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written June 5, 2007
Tip Photo

• ellielou profile photo ellielou
  • Reviews: 229

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Villa Sokxai: worth a repeat visit

I stayed here both times I was in LP. The first time, we had been treated ourselves to a little boutique hotel right on the Mekong. Unfortuantely, we didn't find it worth the price, and found it a bit loud. We looked around, and settled on this place, happy to find something cheaper.

The second time, I was traveling alone. I had settled into a little $6/night guesthouse, but just couldn't take being on a backpacker street (no offense), and not having any view in my room other than the house next door.

This second time, I walked around the entire town, looking at hotels and guesthouses. I ended up back at Villa Sokxai, since it seemed close to perfect to me, once again. It wasn't until I was really there, that I realized I had been there before.

The place is spotlessly clean. All rooms are en suite and have air con, a necessity at certain times of the year. Since my last visit, they have added satellite tv, and also include breakfast.

You can take breakfast on the balcony, overlooking Wat Sop. The staff is low key, and really nice. I ended up sharing meals with them.

I would stay again.

The views are great. You don't have to leave the balcony to get a view of the monks marching during the daily early morning alms giving ceremony. The place is on the main road, but on the far end, and is blissfully quiet.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written August 19, 2006
Tip Photo

my simple and calming room

• Durfun profile photo Durfun
  • Reviews: 578

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Le Jardins Vangvieng: Vang Vieng's Best!

There's a Thavisouk Guest House 20m from the VIP Bus Parking, and 500m from this G.H., by the river Som, is their sister concern 'Le Jardins'.

At Le Jardins, they have a range of accommodation, starting with small bungalows with shared sanitary facilities, medium-range bungalows with en-suites, and finally river-facing bungalows with air conditioning and en-suite.

The 1st category was about 4 USD per head, next one was 500THB (13 USD for 2), and the best was only 700THB (18USD) for the bungalow.

The bathrooms could have been better, eg with a towel rail, door lock(!), better levelling of the floors, etc.

From outside the bungalows look lovely! And from inside they are fully clad with timber.

Service was very good, the short manager is very friendly & helpful.

Le Jardins is right off the river, offering great views of the mountains, & river activities.

If you show a slip mentioning Le Jardins on it, the Thavisouk Guest House staff will pick you up from the bus & take you to either, free.

Good restaurant serving a range of dishes, nice breakfast selection, and most importantly, offering commanding views of the river!

This restaurant is where I saw bottled wines with whole snakes, lizards, scorpions in them. They say its good for increasing vigour & virility! I gave this a wide berth!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Water Sports, Road Trip, Adventure Travel
  • Written June 21, 2006

• steevie_wanders profile photo steevie_wanders
  • Reviews: 55

Sysomphone Guesthouse: Luang Prabang's friendliest welcome

After finding much of the cheaper accomodation booked up, I remembered a friend had stayed at this guesthouse. On arrival, many guests were sat outside around communal tables eating and drinking.
I asked the host, Mr. Somphone about a room, whereupon he thrust a glass of lao-lao rice whisky towards me and insist I drink! This was repeated with me and other guests, until it got round to asking about a room. 'Oh sure', he said, only $5! By now i was a little tiddly, and the other guests were saying, 'yes stay here, it's really nice! What a nice welcome.. He explained that bananas were free, water refills free, and showed me his several thick photo albums of previous guests..

My room was clean and of ok size, situated on the ground floor, next to the main entrance which was also the main living area of the family. Shared bathrooms/showers were towards the rear of the house.
My favourite thing was the communal tables outside. It meant all the guests got to know eachother, and was a real focal point. Mr. Somphone was keen on inpromptu rounds of lao-lao followed by him performing magic tricks! Badminton in the yard was also occurring on several occasions.
Also three times during my stay, Mr. Somphone and his wife Sy laid on dinner for all the guests: fried rice, noodle soups and delicious lao salads.
One evening I was lucky enough to be invited to a 'Basi' ceremony - see Local Customs Tip!

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons