Rue Chao Fa Ngum, Banthatluang, Luang Prabang, Laos

Agoda.com Asiatravel.com Travelocity

Costs 78% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• bumpychick's Profile Photo

Colonial charm

The Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel is located very close to the centre of Luang Prabang and is within walking distance of many restaurants, temples and the markets. Although quite close to the main road, the rooms are quiet and the whole hotel is surrounded by secluded gardens.
    Rooms are very attractively decorated and comfortable, with all the facilities you could wish for. The staff are friendly and welcoming, really making you feel 'at home'.

Unique Quality: I would have rated this hotel as 'a great experience' had there not been some problems with the plumbing in the room! Other than this, I would highly recommend staying here.

More about Maison Souvannaphoum

Pure luxury

by IlariaBK about La Maison Souvannaphoum

Our last night in Laos we really splurged: our hotel room (garden room, 1 king size bed, first floor with balcony, free wifi) set us back $240 ($200++). Yowsa! The hotel is historic and really beatiful with all the nice stuff and extras (great breakfast for 4 included), one of the two pools in Luang Prabang, welcome drinks,....but I can't say it's worth that kind of money. The room was very nice (with slippers, bathrobes, turn down service, great linens....) and beautifully decorated, but it was small and nothing out of this world. We asked about a babysitter and they were going to charge $18 dollars an hour! In Laos! Crazy. I would go back if it was $100/night...maybe.

Great Hotel Luang Prabang

by mpe514 about Maison Souvannaphoum

I stayed here 29 August - 1 Sept. This spa hotel is part of the Colours of Angsana group of boutique spa hotels. It is simply gorgeous! French colonial architecture with a main building with a reception area, restaurant, swimming pool, shop and restrooms. The accomodations are in another colonial style building with linked by a pretty open air walk. The spa is located in a series of open air pavillions along the pond on the other side of the main building.

When you arrive, you are conducted to the reception area and given a gorgeous welcome drink. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. My room was a verandah room on the second floor. The double bed took up most of the room but the canopy and decor were just perfect. The bathroom is modern and tries to bring nature to the interior through a skylight and rocks as part of the design of the shower. The verandah is large with comfortable chairs and a table.

The spa is fantastic and the restaurant is good as well. 15 minute walk into town along main road. There is lots of cheap basic accomodation in town, but if you are in the mood for a bit of luxury then this is definitely the place to splurge. The hotel has gotten some recent international rave reviews so prices are definitely going up. Rack rates are expensive but they have great special deals available like the one I got. I paid $57/night -- I think the rack rate listed was $190 for that room. Be careful--the website deal I got last year said stay 2 nights and stay a third free and when they calculated the cost I was confused by the $57/night rate. Rather than calculating it as 2 nights, they took the cost of 2 nights and divided it by 3. The occupancy was low when I was there so it felt like I almost had paradise to myself. I consider this place one of the best hotel bargains for what you get that I have ever had--4 star luxury for not much at all when you consider what you get. This hotel has one of only 2 swimming pools in Luang Prabang and it is only open to hotel guests. While I was there, other travellers came and begged to pay to use the swimming pool and were denied.

The hotel is very picturesque with gorgeous landscaping. They rent bicycles which are perfect for exploring the town.

They have turndown service and each night I was left a "gift" in my room after turndown such as a shell pendant, a dessert, and a cute notebook. Rooms come with all the amenities including coffe/tea making, mini fridge, TV, safe, robe, etc.

Small rooms but a great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MarkLanigan

We stayed at the Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel for 5 nights in mid-February 2007. We chose a first floor room and were lucky enough to get room 201 which had a balcony open on two sides so we got early morning sun. A big bonus.

The rooms are small but we lived on the balcony so it was fine. The bathrooms are a bit basic (showers only) but it was kept clean by great housekeeping staff.

The food is good especially the Lao food which is half the price of western items. A curry with rice is $6 whereas lamb cutlets are $16 (which is insane). Breakfast is included and they charge $2 to deliver it to your room - well worth it.

The wine list is exorbitant but cocktails or the excellent Beer Lao are good alternatives.

The very best!!

by TripAdvisor Member JaneMP

We have stayed in 5-star hotels throughout Asia and this is the best yet! The facilities and staff are exceptional.

Check-in is efficient and personal with a cold towel and cool tropical drink. The rooms are beautifully decorated and immaculately clean and look out over the well manicured gardens. The verandas are lovely.

The pool is well maintained and very welcome in the heat of the afternoon and, again, the cold towel and ice water are a nice touch.

The breakfast was very nice in the beautiful restaurant. After having dinner there our first night we opted to return for dinner at the hotel the second night.

The hotel location is also a plus with only a five minute walk to the markets.

As always, it is the staff that makes the difference. Everyone we came into contact with smiled and greeted us and went out of their way to be friendly. We highly recommend this hotel and hope to return. It could not have been more pleasant.

Superb!

by TripAdvisor Member ambermaine

Luang Prabang is a 'must see' destination, and this hotel is a real gem. The rooms are lovely, the pool small but attractive, and the staff absolutely wonderful. They greeted us by name every time we walked in to the restaurant or bar, and remembered our favourite orders.

Breakfasts were excellent, as was the restaurant food during the evening.

I had a spa treatment, which was lovely, although not cheap.

All in all, a wonderful visit and a hotel I would highly recommend to anyone.

Classy and affordable

by TripAdvisor Member dogster

Luang Prabang is still a backpacker town but here's a great option for those of us who need a lot more than a bed and a cold shower. This place is at the end of town, within easy walking distance from everything you want to see and boasts great rooms, altho' a little small, elegant grounds and a level of service and attention that really blew me away. Kind, calm and considerate, helpful and wise. I was grumpy when I arrived [been travelling too long] and after a day in Luang Prabang stupidly thought I'd seen it all - can I go now? How dumb I was...
The manager sat down with me and quietly suggested I stay for a bit and let the place work its magic - he was so right. I ended up extending and staying 8 days. I can't fault the place. They looked after this solitary traveller with such charm and care until I had regained my good humour and settled in to the Luang Prabang pace of things. I'm very grateful. Highly recommended [and, by the way, check out their off season rates on the website - great value]

Very Nice but Overpriced for LP

by TripAdvisor Member JFH1107

The reviews here and on [----] influenced my choice of this hotel for 3 nights in Luang Prabang.

It is a very nice hotel, in a very beautiful setting just outside of the center of town. But with all the endless rave reviews, maybe I had my expectations set too high - expecting a real 5-star hotel. Although nice, I do think it is slightly overrated, and certainly overpriced for Luang Prabang.

I Liked:

-I had a veranda room (2nd floor). The balcony was spacious and very relaxing.

-The staff was exceptional - very helpful, polite, courteous and professional.

-The room was suprisingly quiet at night.

I Disliked:

-The room itself was a bit small and cramped, especially the bathroom.

- When I checked in, there were mosquitos in the room, and the bathroom had not been thoroughly cleaned (in fact the bathroom sink area was never really cleaned properly in the whole time I was there).

-Breakfast buffet was only average, and a bit disappointing in a town known for French baked goods.

-The free in-room wireless internet worked only sometimes.

-Hotel charges for laundry ($4 for one pair of socks??) were exhorbitant when just down the street the charge was 1000 kip per kilo. Same with the bicycle rentals, which were $7.50 per day but available all over town for $1.

Poor value

by TripAdvisor Member SparkyAustralia

We have often stayed at Banyan Tree Hotels and are really surprised that this hotel would come under their umbrella. We stayed 23rd 24th and 25th of Dec 06 before a trip up the Mekong for two nights then returned to a different hotel. The room was extremely small, and the bed although large had inadequate covering as the nights were freezing. The air con style heating was too noisey to sleep with. The evening turndown service left a rattan tube on the bed each evening with the same well-worn, tatty, old breakfast menu within, none of the beautifully packaged incense, key rings, magnets elephants or turtles and orchid flowers that the Banyan Tree guests are delighted by, although on two nights we did get two green shortbread boots gladwrapped on to a plate. I guess for Christmas. Although our rates were purported to have free bike use and inclusive of breakfast, these were shown as separate costs on our bill with the ++ for taxes. It made us feel kind of ripped off, when we were never going to use the bikes anyway. We had one breakfast at the hotel, one elswhere, and booked a take-out picnic breakfast for the early morning take off up the Mekong. Honestly we were given a plastic bag with two tiny muffins and a croissant each.(No butter, no jam, no fruit juice, no fruit, no fried rice)The rest of our family who stayed at much cheaper hotels arrived with boxes of hot baguettes, packed jam and butter, fruit, drinks and everything that we didn't have. The Maison Souvanapoun could have done much better! We would not stay there again. The smaller boutique hotels where the owner really cares about you are much better value.
Nice building and surrounds and pleasant ,if stressed, staff.

Had a good time.

by TripAdvisor Member amennyc

I liked this hotel. I thought the service was excellent and professional.the reception is a bit stressed, but not in a bad way.
they were very helpful in booking massages and helping with any information. the breakfast had plenty. how much does one need to eat? walk outside the hotel door and you will see you had more than your share of food, compared to others. they had upgraded me to a suite for two nights, but then i had to change to a garden room. i actually preferred the smaller garden room.
yes, was smaller, but felt like a normal size hotel room. the bathroom was smaller, but cooler designed. also nice to have a balcony with a view of the pool. felt more intimate. the internet worked the whole time i was there. would stay here again. not to far out of town. very close to walk to everything you would like to see. sad, luang prabang is so overrun with tourists. had a good time, but not a great time. with tourists everywhere it started to feel like mexico. the monks were friendly, kind, and willing to talk. hard to have a diva mentality in asia when people are so kind and you can realize you have so much. the hotel was a bit expensive. and unfortunate that the staff gets a third of what you pay per night, for a months work. yet, still are friendly and kind. and they are the ones who make your stay such a great and memorable one.

Comments