Villa Maydou Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Luang Prabang

NECCESARY CAMERA ITEMSNECCESARY CAMERA ITEMS

Royal Palace MuseumRoyal Palace Museum

Restaurant, Ban Visoun, Luang Prabang, Lao.Restaurant, Ban Visoun, Luang Prabang, Lao.

M.Lao Riverside-receptn.Water dispenser far left!M.Lao Riverside-receptn.Water dispenser far left!

i wanna go to LP and visit the Nam Ou river

by madmatg

I've heard both these places are very beautiful but am not sure what the best way to visit both is. I have about 6 days in Laos and i plan on staying in LP most of the time and going to the Nam Ou for only a day or 2. Any help?

thanks

by stedeb

Just had a look in my LP and it seems you can bus to Muang Khua seems to be the closest spot to Nam Ou leaving Lp 2x daily approx $US5 8 hour journey. There are also boats slow boats LP-MK approx $US12 also 8 hours or speed boats at $US22 however these are dependant on the number of passengers also the state of the river there may not be enough water until May/June. Hope this has been helpful bear in mind my LP is 3 years old.

by GenuinelyCurious

you can easily arrange this in LP. There are plenty of agencies and I think this will fit nicely with your timeframe if you're a bit flexible with budget.

by AncientAusie

Agree that it is easy to arrange in L.P. but if you are reasonably experienced in travel you do not need an Agent. Plenty of options at riverside or bus station.
There are three villages up river from LP and the scenery, river and mountains is stunning. I would recommend taking a bus to Nong Khiaw (it takes about 4 hours by boat), then a boat to Muang Ngoi Neua (1 Hour). The return journey to L.P. by boat will take a little more than 4hrs. The third village further up the Nam Ou is a stunning journey but would eat too much of your time.

Luang Prabang is a great and colourful city and UNESCO Heritage listed. Lonely Planet is probably the best reference to the areas I have mentioned. Also, I suggest some research of the Luang Prabang Forum at www.tripadviser.com

Travel Tips for Luang Prabang

Mt Phousi Admission (10.000Kips)

by muddybok

You will need to pay 10.000 Kips to enter to Mt Phousi. If you make this your first attraction for Luang Prabang, it may help you to orientate yourselves for next few days’ visits. Of course, nothing can substitute your maps or guide book (esp Lonely Planet).

The downside of getting up there first thing in your trip is you may need to pay additional 10.000 Kips to see the much talk about sunset at Mt Phuosi.

Pak Ao Cave (Self Explanatory)

by muddybok

Ok, click on the picture to enlarge it and read it yourself. It speaks about the caves and the village.

Oh!! Sorry, I didn't know you cannot read Lao

Translation:
On the eastern bank of the Mekong River opposite the caves of Tam Ting is Ban Pak Ao. In the past the village wat received royal patronage in exchange for caretaking the caves. The wat is a picturesque example of a village style religious complex which has a temple, dormitory and bell tower. Restoration of the wat is being undertaken with the assistance of Thai friends.

Nets and fish traps at the mouth of the River Ou indicate that Ban Pak Ou is a fishing village which regularly supplies fish to the market in Luang Prabang. The villagers grow rice in the paddy fields behind the village.

The village is a peaceful place with a thriving elementary school. Small shops sell among other things sweets and bottled drinks. The Department of Tourism has erected a large rest house for day use by parties of visitors.

Alms

by elpariente

Al amanecer salen los monjes de los templos y van por las calles de Luang Praban donde la gente les da lo que en ingles llaman "alm" , que consiste en darles arroz y alimentos que sera lo que coman los monjes ese dia

At down the monks come out fo the temples and they go by Luang Prabang streets where the people gives them , what in English are called , "alm" , that is a present in rice and food that will be the monks meals during the day

Boat Racing (Suang Heua)

by sieffron

A very popular extra-curricular activity for young Lao men and women is longtail boat racing. A river is never far away from a population center in Laos, and Luang Prabang has three of them in its vicinity. I saw various teams practicing their form on the Nam Khan and Nam Seung Rivers. The equivalent of a crew coxen stands at the back of the boat and blows loud, sharp shrills through a whistle to keep the rowers in time.
The crews practice for the annual boat races of the Bun Nam (Water Festival), which is held in conjuction with the Bun Awk Phansaa (End of Rains Retreat) celebration in October. These races are held in Luang Prabang, Vientiane, and Savannakhet. The smaller towns hold their boat races on National Day, December 2, to minimize celebration costs as participation in National Day festivities is compulsory.
One of the guides of my day-long hiking and kayaking trip related that it is a source of great pride to be a member of the local crew and that the team he was part of finished second in the annual races in Vientiane.
Villagers are passionate about their local boat racing teams, often gathering by river banks to watch afternoon practices and cheer their team on.

Watchout for White Elephant Adventures!

by noahderman

We were looking for a little trek and some kayaking and stumbled upon White Elephant Adventures, we thought we might do a trip with them but we ended up getting a little weird vibe from them so we checked out other options. We decided to not do their tour and the Canadian owner completely and inappropriately freaked out. He came over to our hotel the night before and told the workers that he was our friend so that he could get our room numbers. I called his business and home phone to let him know that we were not going on the trip. The next morning he still came to our hotel, I had left with my girlfriend for breakfast, but my other two friends who are going to go with us was still there. He yelled at them and threatened to call the police on them.

They were confused and left. I thought maybe there was just a miscommunication between the staff, the owner, and my friends. So my girlfriend and I went to find the Canadian owner of White Elephant Adventures who had yelled at my friends to try to tide things over with him. This was not to be. He completely lost is cool and began to yell at us in the street (which incredibly culturally inappropriate in Laos (or anywhere for that matter)). He yelled at us that we are shorting is Laos staff that depended on us to go, I offered to pay for myself for the trip and split it evenly with the Laos staff. He refused the offer and by the end, he threatened our lives. He said that he paid the Laos police to retrieve his money from us, and if they do anything else he is not responsible. He also told us to not come crying back to him if the police take us. Arrest us for what? We didn't even do anything wrong!

Please, anyone who is traveling to Luang Prabung do not go on White Elephant Adventure Tours!!! There are many other good adventure tours there...Enjoy your trip there great place! Just stay away from White Elephant Adventures!!!!

Sincerely, Noah