3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 34% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Berjaya Tioman Suites

If you're intending to visit...

by Krystynn

If you're intending to visit the lovely island of TIOMAN, then you absolutely MUST stay at the Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort which faces the South China Sea. Have I died and gone to heaven?

Don't call the resort directly. You'd be able to enjoy a much better room rate if you were to book through your regular travel agent (they are able to get very good rates because of bulk reservations...).

Go to Tioman Island.

by worldkiwi

Tioman Island is a dramatically scenic island off Peninsular Malaysia's east coast. From Mersing (see picture), you can take a ferry to several points on the island's west coast.
The island is rugged and covered in beautiful natural rainforest. A walk at least someway along the cross island track is recommended.
The Berjaya Tioman Resort is a wonderful place to stay if you can afford to splash out (though it's not really that expensive). And while you're there I have to say it is a lovely place to splash out - in the pool I mean! The staff at Berjaya Tioman will make your stay even more wonderful. Try having coffee and cake by the pool for afternoon tea. Yes - it all sounds rather too civilised, but it sure is a nice way to travel if you usually backpack!
Tioman Island's resident monitor lizards add something extra to a stroll around the village of Tekek or even your resort!

Great time, good hotel, will go again

by TripAdvisor Member toothdocKL

My family and I just returned from a 3 day 2 night stay at the Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort. It was a memorable stay, we flew in on Berjaya Air from Subang Airport. The plane was a classic, more than 20 years old but safe and reliable, will not doubt her safety. The pilot landed the plane at the airport without hesitation. I was very impressed by luggage handling and overall efficiency of the airline. Check in at the hotel was a bit delayed, they could have handled the check in more efficiently since they already had our particulars from Berjaya Air. The room was 50 feet away from the beach, very spacious and clean. A bit dated when it comes to style but this hotel is old, so no complaints. The room lock was faulty but they fixed it quickly. A difficult job running a resort that spreads over a big area, so expect some delays when you call for help from your room. The next day we spent snorkelling at a few locations around Coral Island, Marine Park and Pulau Renggis. If you cannot afford the time just do Pulau Renggis. Very beautiful corals, many different types of fish, and overall a wonderful experience. The hotel pool wasideal for kids with the water slides. Food was not very pricey, but you can always walk to the restaurant outside the hotel, they cook well. We chartered a boat with the local guide counter at the reception. I think they give better value than the hotel guides. A good experience overall, I think most nasty comments about this hotel on this website is trivial, it is important to relax and not be too uptight when you are on holiday.

Great place to stay on a gorgeous island

by TripAdvisor Member PassifloraT

We spent 5 wonderful days on Tioman at the main island resort. Despite not usually being 'resorty' people, this place had a relaxed atmosphere and is tastefully designed with wood cabins amongst landscaped gardens, so doesn't feel crowded. Activities can be arranged through the resort, so if you're feeling lazy (as we were after a busy holiday in New Zealand), you can keep yourself entertained without leaving the resort.

Being there in Mid March we were slightly out of season, so I imagine it's busier in the high season. However, our trip did coincide with the Malaysian school holidays (9-18 March), so there were a few kids around.

We had a 'standard' room, which was exactly that - nothing special, quite a narrow room, in need of updating. Bathroom wasn't very nice - no shower curtain so everything got soaked when you had a shower, and the bottom corner of the wooden bathroom doorframe was rotting as a result, and had a few ants on it. A few of the other cabins around the resort were being re-built, so hopefully they'll get round to updating the rooms where we stayed (in the main block).

Having said that, those are minor grips about the room and the benefits of staying here definitely outweighed them. The bed was a good size, housekeeping services were excellent (room was cleaned each day).

All the staff were very polite and friendly. There is an activities desk where you can book reasonably priced activities (if you're travelling on English ££s), including a 'Jungle trek' - a not-too-taxing walk to a waterfall, with a guide who is knowledgable about the local flora and fauna (about £6 for 3 hours); snorkelling trips (about £9 per person for 3 snorkelling sites). You can also walk 5 mins to the Dive Centre to hire snorkelling gear independently (about £5 per person) including a boat ride over to the little Rengis island, for fabulous snorkelling in clear water over healthy coral and loads of fish species (and the occasional turtle or reef shark if you're lucky!).

Despite our best intentions to try a few different places to eat, 4/5 nights we returned to the main restaurant in the resort, for a lovely buffet including bbq, local Malay dishes, salads, a selection of deserts and tea/coffee will set you back 70 Rinngit(about a tenner). Well worth it.

If you're looking for a tropical get-away without the bustle and hassle of more developed islands, Tioman is for you - I highly recommend it!

Horrendous RESORT! Beautiful Tioman? So what?

by TripAdvisor Member mirami

Pls do go Tioman - avoid that horrendous hotel by Berjaya! It is the most terrible place i ever stay in my life! It is So horribly expensive yet the place sucked big time. I saw many other nicer resorts during my stay which were much cheaper, more rustic and friendlier atmosphere.

The staff at berjaya sucked big time. They lack organizing skills, they have no sense of customer orientation and best of all, they treat you like you owe them a living!

PLS if you are reading this, don't every go there and spend your money! They should just shut the place down. I will boycott all Berjaya hotels in any country in the world! Yucks!

Good weekend relax ! food could be better

by TripAdvisor Member Maria64

My husband, my friend and I stayed at Berjaya resort two weeks ago for the weekend. The place is setup near/on the beach. From almost everywehere the view is on the sea. We had a very relaxed and enjoyable weekend at the resort. My husband and I diving and my friend at the beach at one of the wooden beds under the parasol.She loved it ! Late in the afternoon we had cocktails at the bar in the swimming pool. We have no kids and enjoy their company from a distance (no creamig please). The kids are there but they have their own space (mostly swimmingpool). So for aswell families as no kids companies it is a good place to stay. Staff is helpful (speaking english is scary), rooms are good. De luxe = 50 steps from the beach. Food is OK, but adjusted to europeans with no taste. Their beautiful local food can not been found there. And I hate buffets! I guess you have to go out the resort. I did not try them, but they look good. I think Beryaja Tioman suites are not so nice located. The view must be great, but you have to travel to go the beach, restaurants etc. I would go again.

ok but a hassle to get around

by TripAdvisor Member grabarwr

We actually stayed in one of the timeshare apartments using
a transfer from the my sister-in-law's timeshare in Australia.
You use the same facilities as the rest of the resort but the
timeshares were a long walk (or an hourly bus ride away) from
the main area. The comments about the rooms in the rest
of the resort pretty much held true here - cleanish but run
down and certainly not 5 star. The main problem was the
remoteness of the resort - there was a bus into the village
but it didn't run very frequently so we ended up making
several long hot walks to buy food (the timeshares had
rudimentary kitchens).
We did eat in the Chinese restaurant one night and enjoyed
it but the other resort restaurants looked expensive and not
very interesting so we either cooked or ate in the places
just outside the resort.
Otherwise the facilities were fine although we didn't make
much use of them apart from doing a snorkelling trip one
day. Although I've travelled a lot in Malaysia I'd never been
to Tioman and it wasn't as nice as I expected - pretty much
like a lot of Asian traveller centres. However, we were with
friends who hadn't travelled much in Asia and they really
enjoyed it.
The worst part was the boat ride(especially on the way
back when the sea was very rough and the boat very small).
I can't imagine I would go back.

Palau Tioman, Malaysia

by NitNoy

"JapaMala Resort"

Highly recommended. Service was good, rooms are great (only 10 right now, but adding more), excellent food and crystal clear water.

"Twin Spires on Tioman"

"Tropical Fish"

The snorkeling is amazing just offshore near Berjaya Tioman resort.

Tioman Island

by christelle

"Beautiful Tioman Island"

So far, I haven't get the chance to really visit this island. Anyway, I will share some information I know about this island.

Tioman Island is located off the east coast of Malaysia, to reach there, you can board the ferry which took about 3 hours. But, if you prefer a shorter comfortable ride, air-conditioned fast ferries which depart daily can make the cross over in approximately 2 hours.

Additional Information
Some additional information I read, you can get from Singapore, a catamaran (Ferry) service makes the 41/2 hour trip from Finger Pier daily (except Wednesday).
Or for those who don't enjoy sea travel, alternative way is to make the trip to Tioman by air from either Kuala Lumpur or Kuantan via Pelangi Air. Flights from Kuala Lumpur depart daily, while the Kuantan flight departs daily (except Wednesday), both trips take approximately 1 hour. As from Singapore, flight from Singapore departs daily from Changi Airport and it is operated by Tradewinds Charter Services.

General View
Once on the island, basically, there are no roads on the island, the middle of the island is entirely jungle and we can see Kimodo Dragons and wild monkeys. To get about on and around the island, you can choose to trek, ride bicycle (which, you can get from Berjaya Tioman Beach Resorrt) for short excursions or hire boats to get to the surrounding islands and reefs. Regular boat services ply the villages (sea-buses) around the island.

Legend of Tioman Island
According to some legend, Tioman Island is the resting place of a magical dragon princess, who was on her way from China to visit her prince in Singapore. This beautiful maiden stopped by at Tioman Island to seek solace during her flight and fell in love with the charms of this alluring isle. Enraptured by the wonder of Tioman, the princess discontinued her journey and vowed to spend the rest of her days giving pleasure and comfort to weary travellers.

Till today, the dragon-outline of Tioman Island still draws visitors eager to experience the warmth and hospitality of this idyllic locale. Generally, this island is populated by villagers who live an unhurried lifestyle. Untouched with its natural beauty, Tioman Island draw thousands of tourist yearly to its beaches.
Popular beaches include the ones around the villages of Tekek, Genting and Salang.

Activites
As for fishing enthusiasts, you will have a bountiful time at Tioman Island, with its abundance of fishing areas. You can just hire a boat for the day, and anchor anywhere along the coast(probably, by evening, you will have a large catch for a sumptuous barbecue on the beach ^_^). However, if you prefer something more challenging, try your hand at fishing in the deeper water further off the island's coast. Basically, the island offer underwater adventure, and snorkelling.

Accomodation
For people who are accustomed to living in luxury, you can find the Berjaya Tioman Beach Resort, which offers 375 rooms that and comes complete with all the trappings, including local and continental cuisine and fresh seafood.

As for tourists who are looking for adventure and willing to rough it out will find cheaper but comfortable accommodation in the villages. There are the A-frame huts and chalets are rented out by Malay families in the villages of Tekek, Salang, Genting and Air Batang for as low as RM 15 per night. Medium accommodation is as low as RM40 or RM50 per night.

Above is the map of Tioman Island I can get on.

The pool areaThe pool area

Kayak to the island in backgroundKayak to the island in background

very nice & safe bay area for swimmingvery nice & safe bay area for swimming

Suite with a view from sundeckSuite with a view from sundeck

Pulau Tioman at Easter time

by Ebear

Thinking of going to Tioman at Easter time 13th - 20th April. How busy will it be then? Would I need to book accommodation prior to getting there?

I will be travelling from Singapore, does anyone know how to get a bus timetable for the bus from Singapore to Mersing? Would that need to be pre booked?

I'm also after the times for the boats to the island. Being such a short time I need to sort out my 'timing' with an international flight.

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Pulau Tioman at Easter time

by xuessium

HI! Erika:

It is a good time to be seeing the South China Sea.

The Good Friday weekend (we do not celebrate Easter Monday here) would likely be packed as plenty folks may go to Tioman for a quick getaway. It's quite a popular destination with Singaporeans and locals as well.

I am not sure which independent coach company does the Singapore-Mersing route but rarely does Singaporeans bother with them, since we would usually sign up for some F&E packages which the coach ride is already included. You can try MISA Travels (http://www.airfares.com.sg) and Discovery Tours (http://www.discoverytours.com.sg) for such F&E packages. That's just my suggestion. Maybe another VTer may know such independent coach company(ies).

If you don't mind spending more, you can fly from Singapore to Tioman via Berjaya Air. The thing is, you will possibly have to stay in Berjaya Tioman Resort. The airport you fly out of is also not Changi International but Seletar Airport. (http://www.berjaya-air.com/)

I have also attached the websites of 2 Malaysia-based tour agencies. Maybe they might be of some use to you.

Cheers!

by Ebear

Thanks Xuessium, that info is a great help.Might be worth booking the first few days at least.
Ebear

by xuessium

HI! Erika:

There are resorts/huts big & small littered around the 8 main villages on the island. Some of them may not even have a website. I suppose if you are eyeing the bigger more luxurious ones, would be prudent to book ahead.

Link to Berjaya Tioman:
www.berjayaresorts.com.my/tioman-beach/info.html

by Ebear

No, definitely not the bigger places, just want to chill out for a week with a friend, a bit of snorkling, a bit of walking, reading and the occasional afternoon nanna nap! I think the idea will be to get to Mersing, stay overnight and see what's available from there. Thanks for your help, E

Tioman -Berjaya resort

by suziwong

Hi,
Thinking of visiting Tioman next year, does anyone know what the deluxe [beach front]rooms are like at the berjaya ???.Is this the best place to stay???.
Thanks