Pantai Cenang, Kedah, 07000, Malaysia
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 16% higher but also costs 218% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Bon Ton Resort

Excellent Malay Food!

by tere1 about Bon Ton Resort Restaurant (Nam restaurant)

The Bon Ton is perhaps the best restaurant in Langkawi. It's part of the Bon Ton Resort, a small but charming resort situated a 5 minute from Pantai Cenang and a 10 minute from the Langkawi airport.

The restaurant is awsome, we had dinner outside in a delightful setting. The food was amazing, very well presented and excellent! The desserts were to die for also. It's not cheap but it was well worth every cent. It was the best meal I had during my stay in Malaysia.

If you plan to go there I advise to book a table as the restaurant is very well known and has very good feedback and it's not large. The Steamed Apple, Macadamia and Butterscotch Pudding dessert. It's delicious!

An intelligent resort…

by TripAdvisor Member mpougeard

We have spent 5 nights at the bon ton resort langkawi and i must say this is by far the most intelligent resort i have ever been to: the place is beautiful, the staff is extremely nice and helpful, the houses on the property are all amazing and so is the owner of the place...It is not just a hotel but a place where you very quickly feel at home. The food is very good but…quite expensive for Malaysia. On the whole a wonderful experience.

Just like my great grandma's place used to be

by TripAdvisor Member enot26

What a place! One thing for sure, we definitely are coming back to this unique and special place.

Being a malay, I nearly shed a tears when we walked into the white frang house. It felt like being back to the past again. The staff was great, the food was yummy, especially the Laksa. Our fav drink was definitely their own version of peppermint tea drink. Never had anything like it before. We loved the swimming pool. It was perfect for us to have a few laps in the morning and a few more during the day.

The cats, what can I say about them. They were so friendly and sweet. We had 2 house cats, one was Skippy and the other one, the white and black, cat. One morning, we had about 4 of them waiting for us to open the door.

What a memorable time it was.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member Sarah&Nick

We stayed here at the end of November and it was fantastic. We stayed 3 nights and each night stayed in a different house (Blue Ginger, Black Coral and Laguna). All the houses were beautifully decorated and very well equipped. The food in the restaurant was also wonderful. This is probably the best place we have ever stayed, the atmosphere is very relaxed and all the staff were very welcoming and very, very helpful.
We will definitely go back if we return to Langkawi - We loved it!

Best Place to Stay in Langkawi - Hands Down.

by TripAdvisor Member Buno

We chose this place based on the high rating and rave reviews on Tripadvisor and are extremely happy that we did. They have 100 year old Malay houses which have been taken apart from the mainland and reassembled in a coconut grove surrounding a nice pool. Each room is actually a separate house. The rooms were gorgeous with a great rain shower and big wooden bathtub. There were loads of silk cushion and comfortable chairs to sit on. They even had a picture frame beside the bed , I almost felt that this was my special vacation house. Everything was so beautiful and great that we were very sad checking out of it. The service of the staff was very good , when I told them I needed to buy a CD to upload my pictures as my camera memory card was full , the manager personally took my camera and uploaded all the pic into a CD and gave it to me!! As for the food, it was delicious. This is a hotel which has everything: great rooms, service, food and also a great shop if you feel like shopping. If you are planning a trip to Langkawi, we strongly recommend you to book this place.

Great relaxing honeymoon spot.

by TripAdvisor Member bf_blaz

My Wife and I stayed at BonTon for our honeymoon last July. We prefer intimate Bungalow style hotels to big chains and we were so pleased with what BonTon had to offer. The manager sits you down on arrival and gives you a drink and talks you through what Bon Ton and Langawi has to offer. A really nice personal touch to make you feel at home straight away.

The individual rustic bungallows are all different (we were given a tour through a couple of different ones to ours). We stayed in the 'Yellow Orchid' House. Whilst not the biggest at Bon Ton we preferred it to some of the others as it has a large front balcony for relaxing and eating breakfast on, No sun here as its completely sheltered by the overhanging straw roof. A great place to sit and watch the late afternoon downpour! It also is one of the furthest away from the pool so a bit more privacy, and has flyscreens on all the windows, so not much chance of insects getting in.

We loved the outside bathroom, with a wooden bath big enough for 2 ( just!) There is nothing like sitting looking up at the palm trees and stars at night. The shower is also ouside and its an experience to watch the water just leak through the holes in the floorboards.

Inside the room is a large 4 poster Bed covered in mosquito net, fridge, aircon,TV etc etc. and plenty of different light settings to fit the mood! The rooms were cleaned daily and breakfast delivered the night before in your fridge ready for whenever you wanted it.

The rooms were well maintained and staff exceedingly helpful and friendly. The restaurant is outstanding and is known throughout the island. We highly recommend eating in, but also sampling the local places for a taste of real authentic Malaysian cuisine at very low prices. Bon Ton staff will advise of the best places to go.

We felt like more than just hotel guests, as staff would often stop and chat with us about our holiday or even just to tell us about something we should think about going to see that day, such as markets etc. They were great with personal touches, as there are so few people staying at any one time, we even got called by our first names whilst staying there!

We will be going back and staying again. If you are planning a relaxing trip to Langkawi then this is the place to go.

The Best

by TripAdvisor Member RAMJO

A Hidden Gem!!

We stayed here in December for 7 nights with our 3 children, aged 12, 9 and 6. We were so glad that we booked this accommodation after our travel agent tried to persuade us to stay at a larger hotel.
Bon Ton is unique, you can't get this experience anywhere else. I would say anyone wishing to relax in beautiful houses and grounds with outstanding food right on there doorstep without the hustle and bustle of a large hotel need look no further than Bon Ton. Even though there isn't a beach on the doorstep, there is a beach very close by and many places to see and visit on the Island. What is noticeable about the residents of Langkawi is their warmth, a credit to the island.

My children loved the animals at Bon ton and like other guests have commented the animals do not invade your holiday, they are actually entertaining. The staff at Bon Ton could not do enought for us, even going out to buy special breakfast cereals for our children. Breakfast is brought to your house each night with a range of fruit, cakes, yogurts, breads, juice. This for me was wonderful, knowing that I didn't have to rush to a breakfast hall at regimented times, that we could eat on our terrace and that someone would deliver it and then clean it all away after. For any working mum with 3 children that is luxury, it's heaven sent.
When at the poolside, fresh iced water was served regularly, complimentary snacks were also served, it was the only thing that got my children out of the pool!
We ate at Bon Ton, the food is exceptional. We ate something different each night and were never disappointed.

Bon Ton is a small complex, it's not the place to go if you like hustle and bustle or if your children aren't easily entertained with there own company. I think too many children running around would spoil the tranquility of it for other guests, but Bon Ton for me have it just right a perfect balance. Without hesitation we would go to Bon Ton again tomorrow.

Beware of Creepy Crawlers

by TripAdvisor Member SunFun

After reading all the wonderful reviews about Bon Ton I booked the resort first and then proceeded to book my tickets and other hotels. I was very excited about having secured the only two available nights for the first half of January.

I have to admit, I was disappointed with Bon Ton and here goes my thorough and candid review of the resort:

Check In:
Check in was good and we enjoyed the welcome drink!

Rooms:
Although I had mentioned that our flight was arriving in the evening, when we entered our room it was full of mosquitos and other bugs. I would have expected the staff to have ensured our room was sprayed and the electric bug repellent to be turned on considering that we were arriving in the evening. Let me tell you that we’re used to bugs, my husband having grown up in East Africa and me visiting my family back home frequently, so we’re not immune to creepy crawlers, but this was unbelievable. There were lizards in our room (yes, you read right, lizards) and ants & spiders all over the outside bathrooms. We couldn’t even go pee at night for fear of something attacking us. And when we woke up in the morning, after not having much sleep, the holes in the mosquito nets and the thin top of the net had let in loads of dead bugs on the sheets. None of the reviews I read mentioned anything about the excessive mosquitos, ants, bugs and lizards. I would have thought twice before booking, especially given that Bon Ton isn’t cheap compared to other hotels in Langkawi. For a mere $10 more per night we stayed at the fabulous Westin Resort and Spa and had an amazingly clean bathroom and a view of the ocean that was unsurpassed. And we were upgraded to a suite!!

Food:
The restaurant is admittedly very good, and I expected breakfast to be the same. However it was the complete opposite. Breakfast constituted of bread, cake and yogurt that was delivered the night before and placed in the fridge for cold consumption the next morning. We tried to make a cup of tea in the morning, checked the teapot to ensure it was clean, and after pouring the hot water in the pot, about 30 or so ants came crawling out, which almost made me throw up. It was absolutely disgusting.

FYI….for anyone visiting Langkawi, The Loaf Restaurant at Telaga Harbour Park is a must. By far one of the best restaurants on the island. “Taste” at the Westin is equally delicious.

Service:
The staff were friendly but it wasn’t warm hospitality. It almost seemed forced and rehearsed. And if you wanted to eat something light instead of ordering a three course meal, they kind of looked at you like it was a waste of their time. We’re not heavy eaters, but it was expected that we ordered a full meal each time we went to the restaurant.

Atmosphere:
The sunsets were beautiful and poolside relaxation was very nice. The cats and dogs were amusing and fun to play with.

All in All:
I was counting the hours before I could leave the resort and would definitely not recommend it nor return back. The pictures are deceiving. Try the Westin or Datai instead.

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member mexicanhat

Forget about the creepy crawlies (which are not that creepy by the way) and focus instead on the zen-like beauty of this authentic malaysian resort. The individual Malay cottages are extremely comfortable with outdoor baths and showers (wonderful in the humidity) and all set around a well-designed pool area with attentive poolside service and a restaurant and bar all on site. The atmosphere is one of complete relaxation - any dietry requirements can be catered for; the fresh juices and cocktails are imaginative; the waiting staff are immaculate; the servicing of the cottages is precise and timed for whenever you go out. a hearty fresh breakfast is delievered to your personal fridge each night, ready for the morning, so you can dine at your leisure on your terrace. The landscaping is beautiful with a lilypond and the best sunset on the island. It felt like a home from home and is extremely well-run. Nothing is too much trouble. We visited the Four Seasons, the Datai, the Andaman, the Tanjung Rhu and the Casa hotel either for dinner or drinks and the BON TON beat them all. The rest are souless places with big resort vibes designed for travellers who don't want to experience authenticity. Book the Bon Ton for an true experience, boutique surroundings, natural beauty, peace ans the best food on the island. It's only ten minutes from the airport too.

Fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member richardstacey

I have to say that Bon Ton is without a doubt the best place to stay in Langkawi without question.

During out stay on the island we visited three other Hotels and yes they were all very pleasant and as Hotels go they were very nice if that's what you want.

However, Bon Ton was ideal for us, it's very peaceful and quiet during the day and the staff bring you ice water at regular intervals, not to mention snacks and nibbles. In the evening the restaurant is busy and has a great atmosphere but not noisy.

This brings me onto the food which was also superb. Yes, it's slightly more expensive than other restaurants on this island but I feel that you're paying for quality. All of the food is healthy although I am pretty sure you could put on a few pounds with the Chocolate Tasting plate which was spectacular! I'd be more than happy to eat there the whole time and wish that Bon Ton would move to London!

The staff are all very helpful and go out of their way to organise trips, make phone calls for you, call taxis and tell you the best places for you to go. The whole place is run very well and they do an awesome job.

With regards to the previous review regarding "Creepy Crawlies", I've never heard so much rubbish - I am pretty sure that this person was staying at a different resort. My advice would be to totally ignore it.

Yes, there are midges but you're in a tropical environment - what do you expect? The geckos cruise around on the ceiling of the restaurant but they never come close to you and kept themselves to themselves and they eat the midges (which were no problem at all).The cats are so relaxed and just chill by the pool and even if you're allergic to the (like me) they cause no problems and I made friends with them!

The photos on this site are all pretty good but none of them do it justice!

Overall, it's a friendly, well run, clean environment with great food and staff and you'd be stupid not to give it a try - I can't recommend it more highly and want to go back tomorrow!

Richard Stacey

Beach - Pantai CenangBeach - Pantai Cenang

geckoguesthousegeckoguesthouse

Langkawi island mapLangkawi island map

a cable car station...a cable car station...

MALAYSIA - NEW YEAR

by mexicanhat

Hello.

Planning 12 days - split between KL and a beach from Dec 28th, for a wind-down break from busy London.

We were thinking : 3 nights Mandarin Oriental, KL....

Then...

The rest at either Pangkor Laut resort OR Bon Ton resort, Langkawi.

Question One : Anyone been to either? We want clean, empty beaches with lots of tropical fish to see while snorkeling off the beach. Any coral near the shores at either destination ? (have been spoilt in this regard by trip to Koh Tao, Thailand).

Question Two : Any good fireworks/celebrations happen in KL for Dec 31st?

Question Three : Are we likely to get any hassle in any of the above as a same-sex couple (female)?

Thanks, everyone.

PS : if anyone can think of anywhere better than Malaysia to go for relaxing, tropical, chilled-out, beach break in Dec/Jan then please let me know.

by Jannoo

I've been to both, between Pangkor and Langkawi...I vote for Langkawi. But the corals isn't very impressive. I suggest you try Perhentian Island or Lang Tengah Island. The coral and fishes are superb.

Fireworks for New Year: KLCC and Bintang Walk

by mary2u99

Langkawi would be a better choice compared to Pangkor. Anyway the beaches in Koh Tao is much better though.

I would not recommend going to the island in the east coast of the Peninsular as suggested by the other VT. December/January is monsoon season in this area and no boat or fisherman would bring you to these islands even though its much better then Langkawi or Pangkor.

For fireworks the best place to be is in Kuala Lumpur: Petronas Twin Tower and Bukit Bintang.

Cheers

by mexicanhat

Thanks guys -

I've gone ahead and booked the Bon Ton on Langkawi, and the Mandarin Oriental in KL, which is close to Petronas Towers for NYE fireworks. Thanks for helping me decide!

Comments