118 Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock, Melaka, Melaka State, 75200, Malaysia

Agoda.com Hotelsclick.com AMOMA.com

• ozpaul's Profile Photo

Wonderful Experience

What a fabulous place to stay. You enter into a lovely cool and tranquil foyer. The staff was very friendly and efficient – they could not do enough to help us. We had booked a Junior Suite – a split level room with bed and ensuite on the upper floor and a longue room and bathroom on the lower floor. Breakfast was served downstairs in a lovely garden setting – there was always something different to try each morning. An excellent stay.

Unique Quality: There is a spa attached to the Hotel Puri. Go ahead and try it - the massage was wonderful - the ginger tea served at the end was beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Jousy's Profile Photo

Nice Location

The location is in the heart of melaka most visited place. This hotel seems to have quite good occupying rate, so try to book early. The breakfast spread is quite good. The room is simple and it is ok as you should not be spending most of your time in the room but out roaming and exploring!

Unique Quality: the hotel has small area where it exhibits on some history, anyone can walk in to look at them even if they are not in house guests. However, they charge RM 100 if you wish to have your wedding photography taken there.

• lenardt's Profile Photo

Be in the centre of it all

This hotel was one of the original houses in Melaka but has now been converted to a hotel. BUT the original front part of the house has been retained and this adds so much to the experience of staying here.
    The rooms are very comfortable with air con that works well. breakfast is served in a garden setting with a sliding roof just in case it rains.
    The staff were very helpful and always polite.

Unique Quality: By retaining the front half of the house and utilising it as the reception area they have allowed the guest to get a small feel for how it was to live in Melakas a couple of hundred years ago

Directions: One block away from Jonker Walk

• Good, bad and ugly........

Overall it is a beautiful hotel but my room was incredibly cramped and not easily accessible for senior citizens and those who have problems climbing up the stairs as there are no lifts. Just to get to the 2nd floor would require 4 flights of stairs or about 25 steps. Our TV remote was not working and worse of all was the shower. It'd have been easier and faster to bathe with a bucket of water and a dinnerspoon. But as we took the cheapest room which is the standard room (RM138), I didn't want to be a complaining fussy old pot.
    I wouldn't mind coming back here again if the management can replace the very unfriendly and rude chinese lady at the reception desk. The rest of them were ok although they could do with some training in smiling, greeting and having a pleasant attitude (sigh!).
    We checked out the next day and had a real good time in Mahkota Hotel where the staff were very professional and the rooms 3x bigger with all the facilities available.

Unique Quality: The restaurant had a very expensive and limited menu altho the breakfast spread was good. No pool, RM5 for internet, no gym and no service.

• jemster's Profile Photo

A Historical Boutique Hotel

A good place to stay. Only small problem which I think they should look into it.
    The noise from air-condition compressor clearly can hear from our room. They should relocate the compress a bit far from the room.The 21" tv screen is not an eye candy at all. I think it too small.
    The staff at the desk counter I wish them to create more friendly environment instead of having a unwelcome face to us.

Here come the good thing - They do provide the safebox in the room. 1 of the feature I always look forward to have. The restaurant environment is absolutely relaxing. Having a breakfast next to the water fountain right outside of the restaurant really relaxing. The outlet staff are ok. The hotel also provide the car park for traveller who drive with vehicle and the car park is free of charge.

Unique Quality: The 15th century architecture well maintained. They even have the mini museum about the hotel and place around the hotel.

• The Friendly Hotel

I booked the Puri on the strength of comment at VT. I stayed 4 nights in October 2007. From the moment I walked in I knew the choice was right. The ambience,friendly staff and a great room overlooking the garden courtyard all made me feel welcome in a town I had never been to.
    The Room was a good size and immaculate. If you visit make sure you have a nightcap drink in the courtyard garden.

Unique Quality: The Management and staff all excelled!
    Great position,close to all the attractions in old Melaka.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

More Elegant by the Year

I was welcomed warmly by all members of the staff, who remembered me, eventhough i have not been here for more than one year. I have a surprise for you, said the receptionist and said a junior suite had been reserved, courtesy of the owners.

Unique Quality: The suite is well designed, the bedroom is upstairs, ample space. the downstairs area consists of a sitting area, bath and bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities and a refrigerator.
    A welcoming design and I plan to enjoy my stay
    I am writing this from Hotel Puri, where I am connected to the wireless internet.

this is without doubt the best place to stay in Malacca. I have been lucky enough to visit Malacca 10 times since 2003 and I have stayed here at least six times. I have never had a complaint.

• stevenchow's Profile Photo

Small, but simply spendid

We stayed here on our first visit to Malacca. The hotel is located just next the Jonker Street where activities comes alive on it's weekend market. I would recommend this hotel for its atmosphere and location. Rooms are air-conditioned and clean. Its walking distance to most of the sight seeing places.

Unique Quality: The hotel is actually converted from a shop house. The decor is in Nonya style.

Directions: It is a 30 minute drive from the North-South Highway (Malacca/Ayer Keroh exit), and 10 minute drive from the bus station (Sentral)

• Melaka Hotel

I was there for one night on 20/Mar/07. before booking this hotel, i read some of the reviews, some were positive others were negative. HOwever my own experience, i give it a thumb up. I had an enjoyable stay. i arrived by taxi and the bellhop seeing that i had a heavy back pack, came over to help me carry my backpack into the hotel.
    The staff was very friendly, she showed us a map and recommended nice chicken rice ball shops and ice cendol shop to us.
    we had the superior room, the room is big enough. however we had trouble switching on the air-con but the problem was iron out very fast when we called the front desk. immediately, a technician was sent to our room, and the batteries to the air-con remote was replaced.
    there's a computer room for access to the INternet,charged at rm5 per hour. I would say the computer is rather old and it failed to detect my digital camera when i plug it in hence i couldn't transfer my photos into my thumbdrive. There was also problem with the internet so we couldn't go online either. of course, no charges were made to us since we can't get online.
    The breakfast was so-so, but i like the friendliness of the staff, one of them offered to take photo of us while enjoying breakfast.
    there's one funny experience though, our tea cup is stuck onto the saucer, it wouldn't come off the saucer despite pulling it real hard. i had a photo of it to show. in the end we manage to get it unstuck by washing it with some warm water. :p

Unique Quality: the outsanding characterisitics of this hotel would be its boutique style, magnificent architecture, an airwell inside the building, ornate windows, art nuvo tiles and believe it or not, they have swallows' nest in the living room area (a room just behind the front desk). you can see swallows sleeping at the corner of the ceilings.. how adorable. there are also quite a number of antique furniture in this room.
    the patio area with a water feature is also ideal to chillout and relax.

• chen_lidia's Profile Photo

simple and quiet

Good location, it's located in the middle of many scenic spots. A blemish in an otherwise perfect thing is without elevator in the hotel.

Unique Quality: It's a historical building for sure.

• gdilieto's Profile Photo

The Place to Stay for Mid-level Accomodation

Basing on my experience, dated May 2005, I would definetely say Hotel Puri is the place to stay if your are looking to a mid-level accomodation and a great base to visit Melaka.

Hotel Puri is a boutique hotel with level of service typical of a three-star hotels: no luxury but absolutely comfort and cleanliness. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is great, right in the heart of Chinatown, in the old Heeren St, the historical street where the old peranakan houses are lined up, one street off Jonker St. You will be right in the heart of Chinatown and you will walk to almost whatever touristic attractions in town.

The real plus though is the setting: the hotel is located in an old peranakan house, very well preserved and maintained, with the lobby and the common area furnished with antiques and art from the Baba-Nyonya heritage (see pictures attached). Eventually you will enjoy comfortable accomodation, great location and complimentary visit to a kind of musum of Baba-Nyonya heritage.

If I had to go back to Melaka as a tourist, I would definitely return at Hotel Puri.

Directions: Right In the heart of Chinatown, in Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock (the old Heeren St.), one street off Jonker St.

• yukisanto's Profile Photo

Definitely my choice

We did a walk-in, and since only the standard rooms were left, we took that. Room was alright, clean and functional. Nothing to complain about, even though this was a basic room, most amenities were there, including toiletries. Price wise, room was about RM110++, which was a good deal considering the facilities.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: I like the thought that was given to designing this hotel. A mini history room, a soothing garden, even a spa.

The experience starts from the moment you step into the hotel lobby and move inwards to the reception. The way to the rooms was not as nice (more functional, really) but the room was clean and that was good enough for me. I don't require a luxury room or whatsoever, especially I'm used to budget travel.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Small Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Chinatown

This small hotel is located in a restored Peranakan house in the heart of Chinatown. Common areas were tastefully decorated with antiques and traditional objects. However, our room could only be described as very basic, yet clean.

Unique Quality: The hotel is located in the heart of Melaka's most colourful district and has a lovely courtyard where swalows nest.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

Old and New Combined

The entrance and exterior of this hotel is an elegant Peranakan house which once belonged to a rubber plantation owner. When it was restored and converted into a hotel however, other adjacent property was bought and most of the rooms are modern-styled. Rooms are spartan but funcional and clean. The staff is very helpful and attentive. Rates include a very nice breakfast buffet with Malaysian and Western style food.
    One possible drawback is that there is no elevator (lift) so if climbing stairs is a problem mention this when you book.

• Applelyn's Profile Photo

Swallow's haven

The lobby gives you a traditional peranankan welcome. The staff are helpful and the ambience is cosy. You can "cool" yourself on the marbled seats while waiting for the rooms. The room's bathroom is big and clean with towels and toiletries. The Inn has a history room, a spa, a business caentre and a cafe.

Unique Quality: I like the concept of having a history room where you can have a quick "view" of Melaka. It updates you about how Melaka came about and its cultures.

Directions: From Christ Church, you will see a roundabout. At the roundabout, you can see OCBC bank. Turn left to Harpers Restaurant and then turn right. Walk along the street for about 10 mins to reach Hotel Puri. It is just opposite Pernankan Baba's House.

Comments