Hotel Robin

100-110 Jalan Mustapha Al Bakki, Ipoh, Perak, 30300, Malaysia

• Budget 2-star near Ipoh city centre

Listed in Malaysia Accomodation guide as a 2-star hotel.

We walked in without reservations at 3pm on Dec 28 and managed to get the family room (2K + 1T beds) for our party of 4 adults & 2 small kids.
    Cost was RM108 per nite - offer. [Later I foundout that they have a 30% discount for family rooms taken after 2pm.... Hmmm...). Also found that after dinner (8pm), the hotel was FULL!

Unique Quality: Beds are clean but a bit soft. Lighting is dim (using recessed halogen lights). However, the fridge never got very cold and the bathroom facilities were dodgy - the shower head hose was hosed - requiring a rubber-band to hold it in a stable position - should be fixable.

Bad point for a family room - no kettle facilities - though they supply hot flask water on demand - after 10 mins. Corridors are a bit winding and there is no lift - not for handicapped folks.

Parking is open-air with 'security'.

Did not explore the hotel - so did not see the 'darker' bits referred to.

However, it is possible to wander into wrong entrance - as the nightclub entrance appears more imposing than the hotel's! Only made the mistake once, when checking in.

Good points:
    Within walking distance 3-4 blocks of top eateries like Lau Wong Taugeh Chicken & Foh San Dim Sum. We were lucky to get there at right timing so got seat with only short wait.

Also a Pasar Malam that night near Lau Wong (visible if you sit on the roadside table).

Additional note: The same company also owns the Merloon which is in the same/next block (can't quite tell the separation). The Merloon is slightly (10-20%) cheaper than the Robin.

Directions: Coming from South/KL/Sam Poh Tong - along Jalan Gopeng.
    Continue N (slight left, first exit) at roundabout. Right at white & blue Police Station. Then right at second junction into Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri. The Robin is at the end.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

One of those "nice" hotels

This tip continues on from the previous one.

The hotel is located at a corner and next to it is a Massage & Spa Centre. To my surprise, there is a connecting door between the massage centre and the hotel itself from the INSIDE of the hotel. How do I know this?

Well, once during my stay at this hotel, I came out of my room to go out, and after wandering around in the maze, I accidentally came to a flight of stairs. Climbing the stairs was a skimpily dressed girl holding an older man by his hands. I decided that I didn't want to know what was going on, so I gracefully turned around and found my way out of the hotel.

Really, for RM60 (US$15) a night, it was a good and clean hotel and I was never bothered in any way and no, before you ask, I didn't hear any moaning from people or ghosts! :)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

One of those "nice" hotels

I stayed at Hotel Robin some years ago. At RM60 per night, what did I expect and what did I get?

The lobby was clean, staff pleasant, parking was free in the open space outside. Walking through a corridor and up many flights of stairs and after turning left and right a few times, there it was, my room. The room itself and the bedsheets were clean. No carpet, but that was fine too.

The shower was strong and due to the bathroom not being the type with the sloping floor, the water kind of splashed out onto the room itself. The air-conditioning made loud noises at night, but the room was cool, and I put aside all the Ipoh ghost stories I had ever heard, and went off to sleep peacefully.

Unique Quality: Strange: there was a bottle of mineral water next to the bed, but the cap was open. When I called to check, they told me that the water was boiled daily and refilled...anyway, I left it alone!

No pool, no great views, just a comfortable hotel. Easy access to food stalls which are within walking distance.

See part 2 for why this hotel is great.

Comments