Hard Rock Hotel Penang

Batu Ferringhi Beach, Jalan Sungai Emas, Batu Ferringhi, Penang, 11100, Malaysia
Travelocity Agoda.com Expedia.com

More about Hard Rock Hotel Penang

Hard Rock Hotel - Penang - Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member suesf0007

We booked the Hard Rock Hotel before it re-opened, we we arrived there, it was full of children, the rooms were good, you could hear everything in the next room. The Prayer sessions start at 5.am as your wake up call and go on throughout the day!!
The Breakfast room was over crowed and the selection of food was average.
The Staff were fantastic, the pool area is super and there are area's you can get away from all the screaming children.
The food costs were not that expensive and fine.
This is not a hotel for couples that want a quite holiday, it is like a club med for children. For a family it is very good and well worth staying there.
I would recommend this hotel to families but not people that want to have a quite holiday. The hotel is very noisy.
There isn't anything to do during the day only to lounge around the pool until the night market opens, the food hawker food stalls are cheap and have good food.
Penang is a place I would not go back to. It is dirty.

by TripAdvisor Member Malciano

We stayed here for just one night in November'09.

We were most surprised by how warm and friendly members of the staff are.Despite the very casual clothing that the staff are in,but service is simply excellent.5 star for that.

The main reason for my stay is actually the LIMITED EDITION PLATINUM RECORD.But unfortunately,it got lost but Ms Kathy(Duty Manager),did a wonderful thing in Shipping another piece all the way to Singapore.I would like to thank her because she went the extra mile and potrayed a great example of the service industry.

About the hotel,it is very new so everything is in great shape.The decor is nice and overall the theme suits the name of the hotel.Free broadband in room.Star Dinerz is where I had breakfast and very pleased with the buffet spread The staff here quite attentive to clear empty plates from our tables.For Hard Rock Cafe,of coz it rocks..So much things to say but overall,I would recommend this place to all.
Great job, Hard Rock Hotel Penang General Manager.Definately we'll be back.

Nice clean hotel, but some disappointments along the way

by TripAdvisor Member Hburn10

Was quite excited to learn that Hard Rock has opened in Penang which has new flight routes from Singapore instead of the 11-hour coach ride previously, so decided on it for a short 3d2n getaway.

The hotel's located at Bt Ferringhi, a hilltop spot containing a cluster of the better hotels in the tiny town, including Shangri-La. Its at least a 20min tax ride to town where you'll get some shopping and authentic local food, and each ride costs 30ringgit per taxi. Good thing is, there's a local bus service 101 that stops right outside the hotel which takes you to the same places for 2-3ringgit per person; the only thing being the schedule of the bus is a little irregular but it allows you to feel the local culture a bit more.

The hotel being newly refurbished from the previous hotel premise was very neat and clean. Check in was a bit slow but we arrived earlier than the 2pm check in time so that may explain it. Check-in counter also doubled up as the lobby lounge bar at night.

Our room on the 3rd floor was nothing to complain about, with 2 single plushy beds position very close to each other. Nice plasma TV and sea+pool view from the room balcony completed the very 'resort' view. The only gripe is, I had taken this DBS card member promotion that apparently entitled us to having a seaview room with balcony for 368ringgit per room per night, but in fact almot all the rooms had sea views and blacony, so I felt the promotion was rather overhyped. Our bathroom doesnt come with a bathtub but I heard some rooms do have them.

Had lunch at Starz Diner but the quality of the food there was terrible. Their salad came practically drowned in oil (and not even sure if it tasted like olive?) with the pita bread placed right at the bottom of the plate soaking up all the oil. By the time it arrived at our table, the bread had became rather inedible. When asked about it, the service staff simply said all salads are not supposed to be very light anyway. ???????? The wanton mee also came with too soggy noodles and mock char siew. I'll understand if it was chicken instead of pork but I didnt order a vegetarian version.

Pool itself was quite nice, felt a little like a private beach for hotel guests with dedicated area for the kids which turned out to be quite fun for the adults too. Towels and service is not an issue here, but take note that there is a hotel perimetre aound the pool area, and many local touts station themselves just outside the perimetre seeking businesses for water sports etc from hotel guests. That's on your own discretion.

Didnt get to try the spa but prices look about average, not too cheap as after all its a hotel spa.

Hard Rock Cafe itself was quite a small seating surprisingly, with the dining table downstairs and those who wanted only drink could head upstairs. Those that wanted only drinks can only enter from 10pm onwards and cover charge of 30ringgit per person applies for non-hotel guests. Hotel guests, although no cover charge, have to order and pay for at least 1 drink per person at the door before they allow you in.

I had a bug that was struggling in the foam of my beer glass when it was brought to me. I waved to the staff who took the glass back to the bar; I thought to exchange a new one for me. Apparently not.

Luckily we were looking at the direction of the bar because we saw them take my glass, scoop out the bug, and decided that was okay to serve. The supervisor suddenly noticed we saw that, and gestured to the staff not to serve that, and they brought me a truly fresh one. Now that to us was extremely dissapointing, especially so for Hard Rock standard.

The live bands were good though, one at Lobby Lounge and the other in Hard Rock. It was only the above incident that spoilt the evening.

Overall service was rather okay as it is Hard Rock. But having been to Hard Rock Bali, I felt the Hard Rock feel was somehow lacking here, whether its the branding of the items, the pool, or the service staff.

Still a nice place for a short getaway nontheless.

Rocking my vacation

by TripAdvisor Member arione

Stayed for 3 nights. All in all, great experience.

Pool was refreshingly different. Kids pool was great – seeing the kids enjoying themselves on the slides, monitored by two lifeguards.

Rooms: Seaview Deluxe - clean, spacious – love the shower.

Starz Diner: breakfast was below standard – cold, unappetizing and lack of flavor. Unhappy with the experience.

Lobby Lounge, Pizzeria & HRC – great food and quick & friendly service. Try the pizza or HRC cheeseburger.

Try the Purple Haze drink. Fantastic, with a kick.

Its at a great location: everything else you may need is within walking distance from the hotel.

Never come back

by TripAdvisor Member redmarble1

It took us 45 minutes to check-in, the guy asked for our id's and as all over the place. Some couple cut into our line and he served them.
The one of our names off not in the list. He sort of ignore it and when and served some one else.
Very bad experience. Saw another lady had the same experience, waited and sat in the bar and did not get served till she came back and started hitting the bell at the counter.
Took us another 35 minutes to check out...got my name and address wrong, over charged a few of us

Can't decide if it's market is the party crowd or families with kids

by TripAdvisor Member sandra1712

We stayed at the Hard Rock with friends and their kids - aged 4 & 6. Before we booked we specifically asked for a quiet room as we had read the hard rock cafe nightlife could be noisy. Nonetheless our room was right above the Starz diner and their outdoor function area. On our second night we were awoken at 3am by the sound of construction and workers in the outside function area setting up a marques. The next night we were kept up by cheers you'd expect at a football game. On top of this we also had the doof doof of the cafe nighclub.
The pool was fabulous and the kids loved it - but the slides got extremely busy on the weekend as Malalysian school holidays started - kids were queued up the steps to use the water slides. Breakfast was adequate - really really crowded once the holidays started (it was every man for themself). They'd set up another buffet in the function area but they didn't have power available for the toaster.
Our friend had aaccident at the pool and the staff were exceptional. The rooms were lovely but the tv stations for a family resort were limited - I can't figure why you need 4 music channels!
I think the hotel needs to decide if it's a party hotel or a family hotel as I think in trying to do both it's ending up not doing either very well

Inconsistent Service

by TripAdvisor Member FitosMizah

First of all-the hotel is very new,only a few months old,a plus point. Took us one hour fifteen minutes to get our room,this despite their sales dept. e-mailing us to reconfirm our arrival. Upon our arrival a few guests got angry because their rooms were not ready,one lady was shouting angrily-I do not blame her. Their website clearly stated that check-out time is 12pm and check-in time is 2pm. Told one front desk lady that so many people complaining online about rooms not being ready for check-in and still happening-she could only smile sheepishly.
Some request for help to housekeeping and other departments,sometimes they came quickly,sometimes took them 30 minutes of constant reminders-like I said- inconsistent.
Our family room was huge with a private playground outside our room,room was clean and spanking new and away from the nightly music! Breakfast spread was good although it got a bit crowded at times. The pool was huge as well and very nice. We tried the Pizzeria and Hard Rock Cafe-food was great though a bit expensive. A few local restaurants opposite the hotel to try the local food-the barbequed fish especially recommended. Buy your soft drinks/snacks from shops outside the hotel.The check-out was smooth,for a change. Recommended for families with young kids,but expect inconsistent service.

Heaven for Kids!!!

by TripAdvisor Member NoraIsmail

Upon reading the negative comments posted for this hotel, I've set my expectation moderately. But on arrival, we were surprised that the service rendered to us was exceptionally wonderful and we had a great and fabulous holiday there.
We booked the deluxe seaview room for 4 nights. Checking-in only took approx. 10mins. Staffs are friendly and well-informed. Security in the hotel is good as the staff are able to recognise in-house guests to outsiders.
The most outstanding service provided are the staffs at the sports & recreation which handle the lil rock club, teens club as well as the swimming pool including the lifeguards. I would like to specially thanked Mark Hisham, Melvis & Neps for the wonderful and excellent job. Thumbs Up for them!!!!

Dissapointing Stay

by TripAdvisor Member keentraveller79

Travelled here with my extended family and we all wished we had stayed somewhere else. Booked a family room for 6 nights. While size of room was good, it looked onto a high brick wall. The outdoor area had no shade covering so when it was hot or raining there was nowhere to sit outside. Who wants to go away to a tropical place and have no view or balcony to sit on in all weather conditions. Other members booked a lagoon room that has direct pool access. This was a great idea, but like the family room it did not have a roof covering over the balcony so when it rained you could not sit outside.The bathroom was tiny and was hard to climb over the high bath into the shower.
House keeping did not arrive till after 4pm on most days. We would come back for the day wanting a rest and would have to wait for the room to be cleaned. On a couple of the days we actually had to ring at 4.30pm and ask for our room to be cleaned.
Food at the Hard rock Cafe and hotel was terrible and over priced. Of all 10 of us dining at the cafe one night,not one person finished their meal.
The pool was good for the kids. Could not comment on the kids club as i never put my son in as he would of only been the only child attending.
This is a hotel that caters more for the young local market. Would not stay here again.

Excellent for family with teenagers and young children

by TripAdvisor Member siglo

Rooms are small but adequately equipped and comfortably furnished. Free broadband in room.
Pizzeria by the beach has excellent pizzas and good service. Star Dinerz to be avoided at breakfast as too noisy. Breakfast buffet nothing to shout about. For peace, use King's Club. Hard Rock Cafe serves standard HRC fare with expected quality of food and service. Busy and popular.
Although main pool area with slides is busy and ideal for kids, there is a quiet sanctuary near rooms 101 onwards.
Music at main lobby in evenings changes bands nightly and is good place to chill with good drinks and service at the Bar
Overall service is friendly and prices reasonable
The poolside rooms should be good for those who want to jump in without hassle of getting towels and beach chairs

The LocalsThe Locals

Penang

by sanscott

Looking for a great hotel (but excellent value) on the beach in Penang for a week in February or an apartment/cottage to rent. Thanks

by lynnehamman

I highly recommend the Penang ParkRoyal.Its in Batu Ferenghi area, has its own beach, and night markets outside the entrance, every night.
The food was excellent, as was the rest of the hotel facilities.Good value too.

Have a look at my review here:

by christabal

If you let us know your budget, it'll be easier for us to recommend.

Along the Batu Ferringhi beach front there's a wealth of choice of Hotels from the 5 stars to the not so many stars and their prices vary accordingly.

by andreaschan

Hi ! My suggestion would be at the Hard Rock Hotel Penang . Hard Rock hotel may be dear but the hotel is not bad and it got quite a lot of facilities . Maybe you can check out on the net for more information .

by lynnehamman

Re reply from andreaschan:

***Hard Rock hotel may be dear but the hotel is not bad**

If a hotel is DEAR -meaning expensive? it should be much better than 'not bad'
It should be pretty darn good.

by limkahwan

I agree to fellow member recommended Park Royal. It's truly value for money. Phone them and ask for a discount.

by christabal

I've stayed in both and I observe that value for money worth, they are both about the same. If you check both websites, their online rates are about similar.

It depends what you want though. Park Royal is more the traditional Hotel whereas Hard Rock is a themed Hotel. Atmosphere is more relax with staff in red t-shirts and white shorts and everything is less formal. Swimming pool towels are in deep purple and Hotel, even the rooms are decorated in the rock and roll theme.

Hard Rock is "newer". I do believe that the writer when he meant dearer to mean the Hotel is in the higher price range catagory.

Comments