Eastern Hotel

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about George Town

Friendly Mr Ken manning the reception desk.Friendly Mr Ken manning the reception desk.

Our helpful Mingood HotelOur helpful Mingood Hotel

Yap Kongsi (Chinese Clan Temple)Yap Kongsi (Chinese Clan Temple)

From the ferryFrom the ferry

Sth bout George town

by FoodDevil

Can any one show me how George town looks like? I heard that it's the second largest city in M'sia.

by Quero

Georgetown is the historic district of Penang, which is an island just off the west coast of mainland Malaysia. If you look for info on Penang in the VT place search function, you will find information about Georgetown as well.

Quero in KL

by jmmorgan

There are a few pictures on my Peneng page.

by horsey56

Georgetown is the capital of Penang state in northern Malaysia. It is the main city on the eastern tip of Penang Island. The city has some modern shopping centres, Komtar which is one of the tallest building in the country, and plenty of local food. Besides Georgetown, you can also visit the beautiful beaches at Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi. Hotels are cheap and good by international standard. You wont regret the visit.

by ytk

George Town, historical and modern in one. You can walk back in time and enjoy the old Penang, pre-war, the 30's and so on. Don't forget our temples, beaches, life-style and of course the all Malaysian favourite Penang Food ! Enjoy your stay....Selamat Datang.

by nicolesab

georgetown is the old name for the now Penang.

-Penang is split into 2 parts , island and mainland.

-most of the happenings are on the island , where u can find night life , beach hotels , tourist attractions and great food.

-when one comes to georgetown food is a must try!!! all sorts of ethnic food is here.

-penang aka pearl of the orient and also known of one of the best town for food while in malaysia....

hope u have a nice time!
u could just write to me if u need any futher info.

regards
sab

Re: Re: Sth bout George town

by TANJONGPAGAR

Go to the bus station in (KOMTAR). Quite a few buses that can bring you ard penang island.

Travel Tips for George Town

Beach Street Fire Station

by SLLiew

Penang Island has many fire stations all over, another British legacy.

Before the Rental Control Act was revoked, many of the prewar houses were prone to fire due to overcrowding, poor maintenance or even arson. Hence the fire engines could be hear almost every week or so.

One of my favorite fire station is at Beach Street. Used to have a classmate whose father was a fireman and I would visit this unique building which houses the fire engines as well as have flats for the firemen and their families.

Chinese Medicine

by phil_uk_net

This morning I woke up with a raging sore throat, my throat was on fire and I felt awful. Ah, I know where to go - the Chinese Medicine Hall I had seen the day before. I make my way to the end of Lebuh Chulia and enter the mysterious premises. Chinese staff behind the counter are selecting weird and wonderful herbs and ingredients from wooden drawers and grinding them up with mortar and pestle. Barely able to speak, I use a mixture of words and pointing at my throat to describe my ailment. My assumption is that a strange potion, that has been curing Chinese sore throats for three-thousand years, will be prescribed and mixed up before my eyes. Instead, the nice man gives me a packet of Strepsils. Another illusion shattered ...

Victoria Memorial Clock Tower

by andrewyong

This clock tower measures 60 feet in height, each feet marking each year of the reign of Queen Victoria. It was presented to Penang by one of her sons, a rich one at that time, to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the reign of Queen Victoria.

Situated at one end of Beach Street, in a round-a-bout (King Edward Place), next to Fort Cornwalis, its chimes are like that of Big Ben in London (only that sometimes it's not well-oiled (these old clocks need TLCs) and miss a note or two. It gets a new coat one every few years.

Panang - Came for a couple days - stayed for 5

by Slooper

"More time needed to tell the delightful story"

We enjoyed this lovely town immensely! We found that we needed more time and space to do justice describing our stay here and adding recommendations. We built a special web album on our family's WheelerFolk.org site to show and describe some of our experiences here. See: "5 Days in George Town & Penang"

"The Mingood Hotel made our stay most pleasureable"

Comfortable and convenient accommodations, along with a most helpful and friendly staff, made our 5 days here productive, healing and enjoyable. We will make a separate VT recommendation for this hotel, but we also were so appreciative that we constructed a special web album just for the hotel. For our views and experiences here, see:
Hotel Mingood on WheelerFolk.org

Many great meals and interesting sites were within walking distance, or no more than a fun "trishaw" (bicycle rickshaw) ride away.

"Penang, a place of contrasts & diversity"

With the limited time we had available, we felt somewhat immersed in the diverse cultures of this Malaysian island with a mix of Muslim, Hindu & Chinese religions. Old colonial buildings were mixed with the modern high-rises. Outside of the city the plush coastal resorts and spas gave way to lush jungles, small villages and active agriculture. A vibrant mix of cultures.

Comments