G Hotel

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about G Hotel

Loved G Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TimRudd

Wonderful hotel. Great room, great facilities, great position. Staff very friendly and helpful. Very close to hawker market which has best food in Penang. Linked to Gurney Plaza shopping centre in great position on Gurney Drive. One of the best places to stay in Georgetown.

Jazz at G Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MarkAIpoh

I regularly stay at different hotels in Penang whenever with the family and go there for a short weekend break. Normally I avoid City Hotels when in Penang as its nice to be near the beach when you are with the family. The staff here were all friendly and very eager to help. The room was very clean. The deco a bit too minimalist.

Most of the hotels in Ferringhi have amateur bands . However here they have Jazz Club. I am not a great Jazz fan but I know quality music. This was certainly the case here. They also had a guests singer from the UK and some fantastic local musicians.

If you like spending an evening in the hotel I think this is a good place. The weekend is especially nice as you can have some good wine and Seafood BBQ, then adjourn to the jazz club.

The pool is glorious. It must be the largest I have seen in a City Hotel.

However on Saturday, when I came back in the evening there was no parking space for me in the car park. However the security in the main driveway cleared some of the bollards and allowed me to park after I complained as I had my kids in the car and was not willing to go to the car park at the shopping complex beside the hotel.

I would definetely bring my family here again.

Great location and hotel

by TripAdvisor Member opensesamesingapore

Have been visiting Penang regularly and often stayed at the beach hotels which are further from town. G Hotel is newest hotel and well located next to a shopping centre, supermarket and food stalls. Staff though relatively new do try hard to please. The doormen, bell staff,gym instructors , front desk, telephone operator etc are are friendly and smiling. Rooms are modern and comfortable although a bit more lightning would be preferred by me.

We would recommend anyone to stay here.

I really enjoyed it.

by TripAdvisor Member niko12

I have visited Malaysia about a dozen times before, mostly to Penang. This time, I wanted to really kick back and chill out in comfy surroundings. G Hotel fit the bill almost perfectly. I can only talk about my experience with G Hotel but in the same situation, only the most pernickety and haughty of travellers would have real cause for complaint. Based on past experience of service and hotels in Malaysia, I had warned my friend to expect a few "hiccups" but we were pleasantly surprised by G Hotel.

The personal service we received from everybody, from bellhop to front desk, was really nice. Though special mention must go to the affable and engaging Wilson for his warm, friendly, professional and happy charm, all of the staff were efficient and helpful. In the rare cases where they didn't immediately have an answer, the contacted somebody else very quickly to get an answer.

Many websites rate G Hotel a 5-star establishment. To be honest, true 5-star hotels are hard to come by in Malaysia and G Hotel is more a fun, funky and eccentric boutique hotel than a total 5-star experience but, then again, with the discount packages available online, you are not paying true 5-star prices, either, and I find the compromise to be great value.

Many cool and trendy boutique hotels fail because the modern, urban chic approach to design that makes them funky leaves them feeling cold and uninviting. The lobby of G Hotel is, in fact, quite a nice place to hang out.

Was my stay perfect? No. Would I return? Absolutely.

I wanted to write this review without reference to any other reivews but I feel I should offer some counterpoint.

The breakfast buffet is not the last word in sumptuous gourmet dining but I would not complain. It was better than several other breakfast buffets I've had in Malaysia and the service was very good. The coffee in particular, I thought, was very good and certainly much better than that often served in large hotels.

I cannot fathom complaints about the service from the front desk. I had no real problems. Yes, there was sometimes a feeling that staff were less than totally confident but it was clear that all of them were both eager to please and tried their best. What more can one ask for?

The only real complaint anybody might have at the moment is that Gurney Plaza, while conveniently next door, is undergoing substantial expansion. The construction is taking place at the back of G Hotel. Presumably, if you get a room on the lower floors at the back of the hotel and you spend your days in your room, you'll complain about some noise. Also, though I didn't spend any time in the pool, it too, is exposed to the building work.

I surveyed the gym and it is well-stocked with high-quality, modern euipment, including some machines with built-in TV screens. Knock yourself out!

Finally a few words about the room. 1. The two beds put together give you an ENORMOUS place to lounge. 2. The cable TV selection is a tad limited but I can't remember what I had in other hotels so this may simply be a result of TV contracts. 3. Our room had no bath, only a large shower. I'm not sure if some rooms do have baths but if relaxing in a big hot bubble bath is important to you, make sure you check first with the hotel.

I'm no slave to fashion but I really like the G Hotel.

Decor Thumbs Up, Service Below Avg, Buffet Breakfast Give it a Miss

by TripAdvisor Member spinkspink

Check in Date : 18 Feb 2008 (2 nights stay)

I made reservations directly with G hotel, and booked a standard room specifically requested for a King size bed and early check in at abt noon, as I will be bringing a toddler to stay in this hotel.

Called the hotel in the morning prior to check in to make sure that my request for King size bed is confirmed and that the room is ready for check in. I was informed by the reservation desk that all requests have been approved. Luckily I got the reservation officer's name.

At point of check in, at the reception, I was told that only standard room with twin beds is available and that only the next day a King size bed is available !!! Can you believe it !! Naturally I kicked up a fuss, gave them a piece of mind and told them how can they expect a toddler to sleep between 2 single beds even if you were to join the beds together, it is still not comfortable. Furthermore I booked for standard king 3 months ago and hours before I checked in everything was in place !! Finally after some checks, took them about 20 minutes, they finally gave me the room ! Talk about 1st impression !

The room decor met my expectation but if u've had a chance to checked out their toiletries, you would be disappointed. While all things in the hotel is branded with G such mineral water bottle, the toiletries weren't. Packaging just doesn't match up with G hotel.

The buffet breakfast sucks big time. My advice is that u should just book the room without buffet breakfast. Even a McDonald's in the nearby Gurney Plaza way beats the sucky breakfast at g cafe.

Locality wise, you don't have to worry about food at all. Like in all previous reviews, the Gurney Drive hawker is just a stone throw, fast food is available closeby.

Exellent Place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member ReluctantTraveler00

We were in Penang three weeks for medical purposes. Stayed at this hotel for ten days while my husband was recovering from surgery. The staff was friendly, competant and extreamly helpful. Room was large, clean, and comfortable. Modern type furnishings might not appeal to some. Internet service and breakfast was included in the price of executive room which we found to be a great value compared to the two other places we stayed while in Penang. Large shopping plaza/ mall is right next door so anything you might need is available.

Nice Hotel -While It's Still New

by TripAdvisor Member RioJ

Stayed there for 2 nights during a business trip. The first thing that struck me was the airy open plan lobby when I entered , with wooden raised flooring covering most of the lobby and stylish seats scattered around. It's a breath of fresh air from the hotels one would normally find in Penang. Minimalistic-ally stylish. But then came the problem that so many reviewers had mentioned, check-in was slow, it took the reception fella 20 minutes even though I had booked through their hotel website and he was taking his time poking the keyboard, I suppose to register my details (shouldn't they have it already in the system since it's an online booking). Thank god I was the only one checking-in at that time. And they didn't have the sea-facing King Size bed that I had specifically requested in my booking. Which wasn't a big deal for asingle traveller like me.

The room was huge for a superior, one can do tango in there, though the carpet is the bland tan color which doesn't quite match the overall zen-like furniture (which is black). There's a huge table behind the TV partition , the TV by the way is the normal crt screen, a bit disappointing for me as I would expect at least a 32" LCD tv for a new establishment like this. In room broadband internet access was complimentary, which was great for people like me. Bed was hard, bathrobe could have been a bit softer, toiletries were very well provided (shaver and tiny tub of shaving cream, toothbrush/toothpaste, cotton pads, shower cap, etc) placed in a dainty box. Showerhead was powerful, felt totally cleansed by the rainshower.

Did check out the gym, quite well equipped, but the infinity pool has some location problem , it faces the condos towards the city.
Could have been so much better had it faced the sea along Gurney Drive, which a lot of other hotels' pools along the street do. Maybe the designer had other ideas...mmm.

Breakfast was an ok affair, I had better in other hotels but the settings and decor really is quite nice. Had a drink with business partners in the G-Spot lounge, which had a British Jazz Singer stationed for the month of March, was nice for a wind-down, relaxing chat and some drinks until the crowd flooded in later in the night which can get noisy as it's not a big place.

All in all a nice hotel.

A holiday worth takin

by TripAdvisor Member babybunny_boo

The hotel looks really stylish but at first it was a lil hard to actually notice which was the reception because it was kinda connected to the bar, anyways process upon check in was efficient, the receptionist was very polite & friendly. The room was excellent it was called the Island bed if im not mistaken, it was very spacious and a unique design as well. Cleanliness was deffinitely there. I would say the price of the room was reasonable and worth it. Haven't got the chance to try the food in the hotel, will do some day. However i would like to say thanks to Melissa for showing me some of the other rooms, really appreciated. I would deffinitely recommend Ghotel to my friends & family.

G(reat) Hotel with lots to offer inside and nearby

by TripAdvisor Member Kevin51

We moved here after a very bad experience at another Penang hotel. This proved to be an excellent choice. The hotel is modern, clean and spacious. An enormous reception area is buzzing with guests day and night, demonstrating the popularity of the place. Reception staff are courteous and efficient without being gratuitously friendly.

The room (superior) was much bigger than a standard room, with space to move around, relax and chill out. There was even a separate study area for the business-oriented. Draw back the curtains and enjoy the sea views.

The wide variety of restaurants have very reasonable prices. Gurney Plaza next door offers a huge range of fashion, retail and dining opportunities. The nearby Gurney Drive hawker centre is a foodies paradise for authentic local dishes.

A very satisfying and enjoyable experience.

everthing was good but then..

by TripAdvisor Member jamieKualaLumpur

receptionist was quite rude no one even bother want to help to check in, once we checked in everything seem to be ok, all brand new furniture & clean. But how come the management made a big mistake by check in another guest to our room. I was so supprised the guest just walk in and saying this is the room the receptionist gave the same card key. The management never even apologized for the incident!

Comments