4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 135% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• pipng's Profile Photo

Golden Service!

We loved staying at Golden Sands - the people are really friendly and accommodating. We were unsure about all the kids around but it actually made our stay really nice have families around and didnt feel uptight, like the Rasa Sayang which was next door.

Really close to all of the night markets and a wonderful assortment of food and shopping around. Only 20 - 30 MR to get get a taxi into Georgetown.

Unique Quality: Pools were amazing! The views from our room on the 3rd floor were great, overlooking the Malacca Straits. The only annoying thing were all the sprukers down at the beach always trying to convince you to 'fly like a butterfly' para sail or ride a horse, it was really hard to not be rude to them.

• Really enjoyable

I've just returned from spending a week at this hotel and I have to say it was really enjoyable and well worth the money we paid.

We upgraded to a deluxe sea facing room and it was really nice, clean and the fact that the mini bar was empty was really good as we bought drinks from a local supermarket and kept them cold in it.

The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was really nice with such a large selection of things to eat.

Just outside is the Market and Hawker food stalls which were delicious and so convienient to use.

The music was not too loud but yes it did go on until midnight but did not stop me from sleeping.

I also visited the E&O and if that is what you are looking for then I can understand why you may be dissapointed, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for and I think this hotel was really good value for money

• Shangri-La it isn't!!

What a nightmare. My wife and I booked a 3 night stay here to sample Penang's beach life after 4 nights in the E&O. It was like going from the Ritz to Butlins. Do not be fooled - this is NOT a Shangri-La. The real Shangri La Rasa Sayang is next door. We went there for dinner one night and the contrast was remarkable. Their manager was newly there from Dubai and was astonished that the Golden Sands was even in the Shangri-La brouchure. This is a tacky hotel of the kind you'd find in Benidorm. Overrun with noisy kids, philipino singers keeping you awake past midnight, paper-thin room walls, dated decor, when you pulled the plug on the bath the floor flooded, an empty minibar... I could go on and on. The breakfast buffet was like feeding time in the monkey pen. The Italian restaurant was nice enough, as was the seafood buffet, but if you're looking for 5-star, this isn't it.

Unique Quality: The hotel had access to the public beach, which was nice enough except the water was filthy (as it is on the entire island). My advice would be not to visit Penang, but go to Langkawi and stay in the Pelangi Beach or Datai instead.

• amansfield's Profile Photo

Relaxing Week Away

We stayed here for a week in Jul 06. We paid the extra for a sea facing room and it is definitely worth the money! The buffet breakfast is quite good (no bacon though) but had Indian, Korean, Western and other foods. There are activities each day such as cocktail making and cooking classes. The pool area is quite large but probably not a big as some we have been to in Thailand. The resort has its own area of beach which hawkers are not allowed on, but if you would like a massage etc you just walk about 100m. We didn't eat in the restaurants as there is a huge hawker area directly across the road. The food was ridiculously cheap as was the beer so we ate there virtually every night. There are stalls selling pirated DVDs etc on the roads out the front. The resort also has a free shuttle bus to Georgetown if you are up for some serious shopping.

• A little disappointing

There were certainly some very good things about this hotel. The location is good with a good selection of restuarants to choose from just accross the road from the hotel. The pool area is also very good as is the service - it is very easy to get food and drink quickly delivered to your lounger / poolside table and the staff there are very friendly and efficient. There is no problems getting loungers and towels and you do not need to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve your space. The kids club and leisure activities are also good.

The hotel on the whole is certainly in need of renovation. I booked on the basis of the Shangri-La name since I have stayed in others around the world and did not bother to check this one out. I wish I had because the standards of the hotel generally are certainly not up to what I would have expected from Shangri-La and the price paid.

I would strongly reccomend that you book a sea facing room and it is worth paying extra for. If you have a hill facing / road facing room and are unfortunate enough to have a room immediately above the speakers of the mosque in the hotel car park, as we were, you can expect to have a very disbured night sleep. We did complain about the noise and to the hotel's credit they gave us a sea view room at no extra cost but I certainly could have done without the hassle in the first place (and the 2 nights lack of sleep before I could take no more and complained).

The superior room which we booked into was actually just a standard room and I found this to be misleading. I had assumed that a superior room meant that there was a type of room of a rank lesser than ours which would be the standard room.

I also was not aware that there are jelly fish in the sea at Penang and therefore swimming in the sea is not reccomended. As I have said the pool in the hotel is good anyway.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

One of my favorite beach hotels...

I have stayed in many beach hotels in Penang. One of my top favorites is Golden Sands hands down.

The hotel has easy parkying. An open nice lobby with comfortable seats. A lounge where singing bands play at night.

There is big open green space for sun bathing. Inviting pools that are really nice for family swim and a cool dip.

The beach is right in front where you choose different vendors offering sea sports like water scooter, para sailing, horse riding or body and foot massage.

In the evening, along the main road, there are many street stalls selling everything a tourist would want from DVD to souvenir to "branded" watches.

I also look forward to visiting friends who at staying at Golden Sands and hang out there.

In the evening, the night stalls selling souvenir and handicraft and watches is right outside.

• yoolya's Profile Photo

Golden Sands Resort - Shangri La

Wow!! This hotel is breathtaking! All the pictures on their website are exactly how everything looks in real life!!! The pool is really that blue!! The grass is really that green!!! Etc... it all really is that perfect in real life!!!!

Our check in went smoothly, and we were welcomed with drinks upon arrival! We were showed up to our room..... WOW.... what a view!!!! A lovely view of the gardens and pool, looking out to the ocean... it was spectacular!!!

And the room was failry nice too!!! A balcony (with hanging rails for wet clothing, and table & seating), a couch inside, and the other things you would expect to find in a resort of this standard. Showercap, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving kit, sewing kit, comb, cotton buds, even laundry powder!!! And the marble bathrooms was nice and clean too!! Even a magnifying make-up mirror for me!!!! And a gret choice of cable channels (not that we we indoors enough to watch a tonne of movies)!!!

The pools, and the whole pool area in general are extremely well maintained (like being on your own tropical island).... with an abundance of deck chairs to lounge around on! Many other facilities at the hotel too.... gym, laundry room, free internet, shop, etc.... everything one would expect!!!!

Unique Quality: The food!!!! What can I say!!! Delicious!! We ate dinner in the lobby level restaurant the first night (because we couldn't be bothered going anywhere) but then we couldn't stop! We than had to go back for every meal, as the food was superb!!!! And even as we were sitting there eating, we saw many people, on many occasions want to talk to the chef, to praise him!!! The food was just so fresh and tasty!!! And very friendly and efficient service in the restaurant too!! Most impressive!!!!

Many other features at the resort for kids too (although I don't have any.... yet?!)... tress house type thing, tennis court, kids pool, kids game hut/club, wooden fort, etc... plenty of things to amuse kids too!!!

And the last great thing...... the Batu Ferringhi night market is right out the front of the hotel. Just step one foot off the drive-way, and you are in the market!!! Perfect location!!!! And a great market too!!!!

Oh yeah, and if you dare to be like a local, there is a bus stop right out the front too! And across the road are shops (clothing), and food stalls too!!! Very festive with loud music playing at night!! And a tailor across the road too.... and a little down the street, KFC!!! Perfect for the picky kids who want to stick to what they know!!!

One more thing....... the Shangri La offer a FREE shuttle bus service to their sister hotel Traders in Georgetown..... so if you want to visit the city centre of Penang... no need to catch a taxi.... use the free shuttle service!!! It picks up and drops off at the front door of the Shangri La hotels..... very convenient!!!!

Would definitely stay here again!!! In fact.... going back to Penang in 12 weeks, and already booked the Traders Shangri La in Georgetown!!! Very impressed with the Shangri La!!!

Directions: Right on the beach in Batu Ferringhi!!!

• Flipboy's Profile Photo

not so Golden Sands

The resort itself is ok but is also getting old and will be dwarfed when the Rasa Sayang (another Shangri-la, just next door) reopens in September. On checking in we didn't get the usual treatment of fruit baskets and discount food coupons until asked for. Also, the room had a bit of a funky smell and all the chairs in the room were made not for relaxing, maybe its a method to get people out of the room ;op

We don't like complaining too much when we travel, we do plenty of that when we are home, so we tend to deal with bad service at our own expense.

The concierge, greeting counter and tours&taxi counter, are all run separately and have no idea about the information provided from the other. When asked a question at one counter you get directed to the other even if the question is as trivial as "how much does a taxi to Georgetown usually cost?"

The food at the restaurants were generally good, though they can't take the sugar off the french toast cause its already made that way... which make no sense to me, just don't sprinkle that *** over mine!

Unique Quality: -sugar that has unusual attraction to french toast

-pool bar

-3 restauants, 2 bars

-Beer festival with german beers at the sunset lounge

-night market just outside the resort

• mickygooner's Profile Photo

ooh la la

lovely hotel , was not that busy when i was there in may last year , apart from a japanese bank convention ! is good location as well

Unique Quality: lovely grounds , 3 pools ,the staff were very pleased to help , even bringing out fresh friut on trays and handing out to yuo as you lounge by the pool , the breakfast was excellent as well with choice of all kinds of food - i had beef redang for breakfast mmmmm !! also good location for night market

Directions: right on the beach

• kphstar's Profile Photo

Penang's Best Buffet Breakfast

Excellent 4 night stay at this superbly situated hotel. Right on the beach and a simply stroll to the night market.

It has all the activities you'll require to have a great holiday eg, 2 hours of happy hour.

The breakfast buffet is one of the best you can have. It incorporates the best of eastern and western cusine. If you can have everything on the buffet then I'll take my hat off to you.

• Lovely hotel

I would recommend this hotel to you as it was situated virtually on Ferringhi beach. It was comfortable and very clean. As sunset approached, everyone seemed to appear to watch the stunning sky. It is a lasting memory I will always have of Penang. Food good and cocktails lovely.

Unique Quality: Nice situation and lovely views.

• RoyJava's Profile Photo

One Of Penang's Pearls

Standing on the prime beachfront of Batu Feringgi, the Golden Sands Resort (Shangri-La chain) is the beautiful beach resort of English & Portuguese architecture, where you may enjoy the same facilities at neighbouring "sister" Rasa Sayang Hotel.

Great furnished and feeling comfortable our sea facing AC room had its own balcony affording a splendid view of the sea; 24-hour service & in-house movies, safe, IDD-phone, TV/Cable - radio, minibar (on request), fridge, hairdryer, coffee and tea making facilities

Unique Quality: King room connects to twin, so the interconnecting rooms made it easy to wake up the model early in the morning for make-up and hair-doings. To work under these circumstances was a real pleasure. I enjoyed the luxury and do hope to return to this resort place ...

Directions: North-west of Penang, airport is approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour away and Georgetown is approximately 30 minutes away

• Nit_4's Profile Photo

Best Batu Ferringhi Hotel

4 star hotel, one of the more mature on Ferringhi beach, with the best stretch of white beaches in Penang. Service only to be compared by its sister hotel next door, Rasa Sayang= both owned by the Shangri-La group.

Unique Quality: Fantastic pool, great views from your sun lounger plus all sorts of activities inclyding jet skis, para sailing, donkey rides, taichi, massages etc.

• davidmc's Profile Photo

Hotel on the beach

I would guess this hotel is about 15 years old but it has been maintained to a high standard. The rooms either face the sea or at the back have a view of the hills and the commercial view of Feringgi Beach, which is OK as well.
    The hotel is well equipped and suitable for families. The gardens with their pools and bars face directly on to the beach where there are ski boats etc for hire.
    If you like you hotels to be remote and quiet, then this is not for you, but I enjoyed the stay very much.

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo

Family hotel

We stayed at the Golden sands which is part of the Shangri-La Hotels Group.
    The hotel has all of the usual amenities, swimming pool, bars, restaurants and so on. Our room was adequate but none too large, it would have been more comfortable had it been 50% bigger. Some of the rooms are affected by noise from the local mosque at certain times of day although ours wasn't.
    The hotel is very geared up for families complete with a childrens activity club.

Unique Quality: The Rasa Sayang which is next door is in the same ownership as is the Shangri-La in Georgetown. All guests were issued with a card which enabled you to use the facilities of the other hotels and for payment to be billed to the hotel where you were staying.

If I went again I would elect to stay at the Rasa Sayang as it seemed much more peaceful.

Directions: At the end of the strip

More about Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Shangri-La Golden Sands vs Park Royal in Penang

by Treborski

Hi

just want to get advise which one is better?

better pool and location

planning to go there Mid Feb

Cheers

Re: Shangri-La Golden Sands vs Park Royal in Penang

by yuz

Hey,

shang ri-la gonden sands the good service and very wanderfull location.

chow

Re: Shangri-La Golden Sands vs Park Royal in Penang

by roostown

If ya just looking for a "better pool " .. I would have to say the ParkRoyal
As for location .. the ParkRoyal is the start of the night street stalls and extends all the way down to the Golden Sands
Ya central to the "local restruants" etc etc
BUT .. if you are looking for great service and very friendly and helpful staff ... neither hotel will provide this
Casuarina Beach Resort .. has not got a great pool but the service and staff are the best .. beeb going there every year for the past 10 years ..at this hotel and prior had tried the rest
Have a great holiday