Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences

babysab's Profile Photo

Gurney's Best - Hmm..

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 17, 2008

The service was good, there's nothing extraordinary about the hotel and its service. Everything is right about the price you paid for. We had the aircond repaired on the first day and the noise was gone after we came home from work. But the shower was really funny when it fell down onto my friend's head while he was showering.

Unique Quality: We did not get the chance to go to the pool or the hotel compound. But what sets this hotel apart from the rest is that it in right in front of the Gurney Drive, hence its name. You can find a McDonalds, the g Mall about 3km from the hotel. Also at the hotel lobby is a pub, a massage parlour, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and a steakhouse.

sumpit's Profile Photo

Affordable luxury

by written on July 1, 2005

We stayed in the studio suite....and all i could say is it was a sweeeeeet experience. The staff are helpful and friendly, the hotel is clean and beautiful and the spa offers services at a really affordable rate (considering that this is a hotel).
Ooooh, and I also loved the breakfast menu..huge, huge selection of food.... they even got the soba noodles for japanese-food lovers, for breakfast..!

Unique Quality: I think all rooms have a view of the sea, if not full, partial, like what we got, and i think that was good enough. One more cute thing about this hotel is that it provides a recreational park where you can enjoy swimming in the pool, or play ping ping or volleyball while enjoying a beach-like atmosphere (the strong wind and sand-filled floor) up there at the 7th floor.

Directions: Errrr...... jusk ask the cab driver to take you to the hotel, they should know the way. But make sure you negotiate the price before entering the cab.... meters are not used in Penang.

savitha's Profile Photo

By the Sea

by written on June 25, 2005

I liked this hotel mainly because of the location...It was on Gurney Drive and being a food maniac, I had no trouble finding for places to eat...It might be a bit more expensive, but when the tummy is "growling" and shouting for food, I really don't mind paying a RM$1 extra for food...

Stayed here in 2004 and hope it has not changed...

cheekychic's Profile Photo

Gurney Resort Hotel

by written on November 7, 2004

The Gurney is a sea-front resort cum business and entertainment hotel, located along Gurney Drive. The Gurney has Suite Rooms with breathtaking seaview. Even the studio suite are very spacious being almost double the size of conventional hotels. All suites are stylishly decorated in resort style and are equipped with exceptional amenities and conveniences such as jacuzzi, washing machine, dining table, etc. Next to the hotel is a stretch of coffee joints, pubs & restaurants.
Take a slow walk along Gurney Drive in the evening, Gurney Plaza is only 20mins walk away.

The rates of suites are slightly higher than most conventional hotel but definitely worth it.

Directions: Along Gurney Drive

Nit_4's Profile Photo

Gurney Hotel

by written on August 13, 2004

4 star accomodation at a very reasonable price. Rooms include spa baths and the hotel pools boasts a big kiddies pool complete with slides and jacuzzi. Situated on Gurney drive, next to Penang's new nightlife, shopping at gurney plaza and an abundance of restaurants in the surrounding area. Great weekend break for the family or even a romantic one.

Unique Quality: Great pool for the kiddies and the adults pool has a great view of the ocean at the pool's edge.

nickyeost Mar 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM

continued...

She couldn't understand what we were talking about, and printed out the list of rooms that she said we took keys for, and asked me to show her proof of our payment for all the rooms. As my mom had left for lunch i had her take a pic and sent to my mobile to proof to the front desk lady that we had paid for total 13 rooms for the 8th December. She insisted that on her record we had a total of 14 rooms. Luckily, my mom in law wrote down all the numbers of the rooms taken, and we crossed checked with the list. There was an extra room which she claimed had checked in and taken the key which was definitely not taken by any members of our party. It was room 3408 (right next to the bridal suite). I was very firm with her that none of us took that room, she called house keeping to verify if the room was used. This whole incident at the front desk lasted about 1 hour 15 mins. We were all very hungry but we had to settle this unnecessary problem. My friends, parents in law, their relatives were all waiting for us to settle this issue. Eventually, she told us we could go and if there was any issues she would call me.

It was a very unfortunate turn of events for us. On what was supposed to be a really joyful and happy day for us to celebrate our wedding dinner at Gurney Hotel, regretfully, we will forever remember it even more for the less-than-desirable way we were treated, and of a few of its staff. Frankly, we as a couple have traveled extensively, and have even stayed a couple of times at Gurney Hotel previously, unfortunately, this has been by far the worse experience we have ever encountered, made even worse taking into account the occasion.

The response we got from Gurney management was that they would give us a free meal..are you serious?? after choosing your hotel for the most memorable day of our lives with a bill totaling over MYR10,000 only to have it utterly mishandled, and you guys want to insult us by giving us a free meal?? also, taking into account, we are from outstation..so you mean for us to travel 4 hours down from KL all the way to Penang book a night's stay just to have your meal?? Please think before making such a ridiculous offer. I am very sure you guys have more sense than that...utterly disgusted...

nickyeost Mar 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM

1 person found this review helpful
Where do i even begin? the rooms are dated, but big..small TV...but the worse part is their management and customer service is definitely NOT up to par. After news of it being taken over by Swiss Garden, we had hoped things would be better with professional management in place, but apparently not...I had a wedding dinner reception there on the 8th December 2012..the best night of my life..you guys made it officially the worse...this is what happened..

1) Having stood around all night greeting people and gathering everything we finally made it back to the bridal suite at around midnight. As usual we had to wait some time at the elevators as they are really slow and there are tonnes of people mulling around during the weekend. It took us forever to arrive at the 34th floor as it seems to stop at every other floor to offload guests. So finally when we arrived, what a relief. But when we got to the door, we couldn't get it open. The card malfunctioned. By the way, this was the 2nd time on the same day the card had malfunctioned. Being too tired to make it to the reception again, I called one of my friends to give a call to the reception to send up a spare key card to the bridal suite at room 3407 instead. That request was immediately shot down with the reply that they can't do that, and that we had to come down again. Needless to say I was very very upset that we both had to go all the way back down just to rectify a problem that was not of our doing!

2) After going through all that we went back up to change and met our friends to go out grab some local food. As you are aware there are 2 car parks reserved for us, one the bridal car and second the accompanying car. We took both cars and left, and returned about an hour later around 2:00am. To our surprised our car parks were fully occupied. I stopped by the person attending to the parking, and asked him why our reserved car parks were occupied. Guess what, he extremely rudely replied,

"at night no more reserve parking. reserve parking only for function and not for after function."
"you can't see today weekend, school holiday so many people no parking available you need to go park upstairs"
"your function is for the 8th December, now already 9th (at 2am) so no more reservation"

I had explained to him that we just stepped out for a quick bite, we were of course entitled to have the parking from check in 8th Dec to checkout on the 9th Dec. It was incredibly brainless to give such excuses. Needless to say I was ABSOLUTELY FUMING LIKE MAD. After about 5 minutes of arguing with him, as he wouldn't budge and cars behind were honking, we had to park upstairs. I went straight to reception, for the 2nd time in 2 hours, the same lady had to be on the receiving end. She apologized and mentioned that yes, we were definitely entitled to the car park. Not sure if she the made a report of this incident.

3) Upon check-out on the 9th, we encountered another problem. We took the 1pm check-out. To my surprised when we checked out the front desk issued me with an outstanding of 1 room payment to be made. I was surprised as my mom had already informed me that all rooms were paid for. We were busy arguing that the charge should not be there, and she insisted we had to pay for the extra room cos an extra room was taken. I explained to her that on the 8th when we checked in there was a slight re-arrangement of rooms as we off-loaded 1 room. Unknowingly when we pointed out the name for which to the room was to be removed, the previous day's front desk lady failed to inform us that there were 2-rooms attached to that name. We eventually realized that instead of 9 rooms to check in, we suddenly had 8-rooms. We then ask her to re-instate the one room which was accidentally removed.

Nearby Gurney Resort Hotel & Residences

• Kitchenette
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Free High Speed Internet

Penang Travel Forum

Need advice about Penang, Malaysia? Visit the Travel Forum for Penang and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Penang hotel reviews

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 11 Reviews
Cititel Penang
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews

Explore Deeper into Penang
Reclining Buddha temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
Things to Do
Gurney Drive (sea-watch & hawker food)
Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion
Things to Do
Khoo Kongsi (Khoo clan temple)
Things to Do
The Botanical Gardens (monkey park)
Penang International Airport
Penang Hill
Buddhism in Penang
Art and performances
Local Customs
Famous Thai Buddhist Temple (1)
Things to Do
Famous Thai Buddhist Temple (2)
The Standing Buddha (2)