72 Batu Ferringhi, Georgetown, Penang, 11100, Malaysia

Agoda.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Stayed for 15 years and wanting more

Family and I have stayed in this hotel since last 15 years and had found no other offer such. Stayed at both units, sea view and Hill tower which both offers most comfort stay. Though I have tried other hotels in the neighbourhood but its either my family or myself found Holiday Inn is incomparable.

The lobby may seems to be old fashioned but that what fascinate us. It has natural and pure approach of a holiday hotel/resort. Free and fresh sea breeze makes us feel like remains at tropical island. Smiles from my three kids ease my wife and me every time when we checked in. Whats going on after 6pm along the street is an added activity that we are looking forward to. Even, if we drive a few kilometers away to Gurney Drive will cherish our nights in Penang.

Hospitality and friendliness of the staffs is unquestionable. Greet and warm welcome makes us feel like home and more to it, attention is given throughout our stay, every time when we stay in the hotel. Having breakfast at an open restaurant with morning sea breeze and sunshine, makes us feel like not leaving the place for another day or two. Comfortable chairs, great food, good coffee and lovely company makes my wife and me do story telling to the kids. Sometime, when my relatives come from Jakarta, Indonesia, we didn't wait too long to drive up to the hotel. They shared the same joy staying in the Holiday Inn.

Laze around by the beach while the kids were at the pool had brought no worries as the distance wasn't too far from the bench. No fancy water slides that could make one's occupied observing their kids of any mishap.

We have been here for many years and will never wish to change to another place even when some friends recommend us of others. The hotel is pure and real even if they are making changes, our heart is with them. Unlike other renown hotels that we've been where its cool when you step in with their air conditioned lobby. The absence of modern furnitures, grand foyer and shining floors ease us and seems to be the right place to laze and enjoy our time together to the fullest.

To some people, it doesn't seems to be an upmarket hotel but to us and to others who read my comment, this hotel is simply yours the minute you step in. Its not so much of what you can see but it has so much to feel. This hotel provides more than what others can. It gives us more than a place to stay. It gives us sweet memory every time we stayed and we always plan to come back to the same hotel before we check out.

Unique Quality: Its pure, simple, fresh and free......

• fantastic sunset

I last stayed at Holiday Inn Batu Ferrangi March 2004. The travel agent mucked up which i did not notice and booked me Tower Wing. I was unhappy with this but it was not hotels fault. however on extra payment i had a room i think 204 overlooking pool in Beach wing. I would suggest this is what one should have, unless of course you are out for cheap cheap in which case you get what you pay for. In Beach wing you are immediately at the dinning area pool no mucking about crossing the span bridge. step out of hotel at night right onto the night market. DANGER beware eating at stalls i ended up in serious problems after prawns

Unique Quality: Friendly helpful staff. Right on beach.

Directions: out of town (Georgetown) but still tourist area only noise came from blaring speakers at Muslim prayer time. But then it is a Muslim country.

• Of dripping ceilings and missing toothbrushes.

For a 4 star hotel, our standard rooms were somewhat unsatisfactory. Mainly due to a few kinks during/through out the stay. We were put up in the older building it seems. Buffet breakfast was provided in the newer building, a short distance away.

Sea view room request was denied too. No reasons given.

Now, this is a serious put off: No toothbrushes nor toothpaste provided. Shampoo and such can be scrapped instead. Not toothbrushes and toothpaste! Not everyone in the family had their own toothbrushes and such with them. So for those who do not have, we had to head out and get our own after check-in.

Washroom ceilings dripping water, in both the older building and the newer building that we visited.

Wake up calls never came the first day. We did not bother to ask a second time.

Sad to say, it was not a place for repeated stays in the future for return visits to Penang.

Directions: 50 mins by taxi from Penang Intl Airport

• Of dripping ceilings and missing toothbrushes.

Sea view room request was denied too. No reasons given.

Wake up calls never came the first day. We did not bother to ask a second time.

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Great Location and Service!

The hotel was chosen due to its location on the beach. We reached the hotel hot and tired (as we had been walking in Georgetown that morning for sightseeing), but the view from the lobby perked us up. The lobby is huge, and just across the hotel pool, we could see the beach and sea!

Our room was very spacious and clean. Although the view was nothing to shout about (we took a Hill View room on the Beach Wing, instead of a Sea View room), the location was convenient. Just across the street was the Batu Ferringhi bus terminus for the Penang Rapid Bus Service and there were also taxis available from the hotel reception counter. Right outside the hotel was the Night Bazaar where hawkers sell stuff. We also found many restaurants and mini-marts within walking distance.

Unique Quality: The room was large and very spacious, and the service was good. We had welcome drinks and complimentary fruits upon check-in, and complimentary copies of the local newspapers every morning. We found the staff to be very professional and friendly.

The room had adequate facilities (King-sized bed, ironing board and iron, hair dryer, safe, robes etc).

Most importantly, the good location was what won us over (access to beach, easy access to stores and buses etc). Would definitely stay in this hotel again if we visit Penang.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Beach front views

Beautiful tropical beach front resort located near museums, gardens, temples, Mosque's, churches, orchids, and the open air night bazaar. Our room was very comfortable with beautiful ocean front views. Our room was comfortable, staff was friendly, and the incredible breakfast buffet (with baby lamb chops & seafood) looked wonderful. Unfortunately, I never got my wake up calls and always was behind & rushing to catch up.

Unique Quality: Beach front views.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Good hotel for the money

Generally pleased with the accommodation. Staff not oustandingly helpful nor cheery compared with everyone else we met on the island. I have to be honest as a place to rest your head I had no complaints however to eat a meal here is an expensive undertaking. We ate here on our first night, this was down to being wiped out by the journey and the heat, never again. I have to say the prices were comparable with the UK althought the wine was a complete rip off even by UK standards. This became more evident when we left the hotel to explore. I have to say that we spent more on a single course meal in the hotel for three than we managed to eat outside in about three whole days. It was that expensive!! As a place to go for a swim and put your head down at the end of the day it was a nice hotel.

Unique Quality: Right on the beach as long as you are not in the towers which are accross the road and accessible by footbridge (you need to check this out woth the hotel befor booking, the hotel is split into two seerate buildings). I have been in cleaner buildings but not dirty enough to make me upset. If your looking for a base to explore then this is your cup of tea. If you are looking for a luxury break I'd keep on looking. Another bonus is the location, slap bang in the middle of the resort. The pool was pleasant and very cosmopolitan, not shortage of towels and loungers, waiter service which included a daily round of soft fruit for free.

Directions: Right in middle of the resort.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Beach front Comfort

• Tattugran's Profile Photo

a friendly resort

This resort was lovely. Right on the beach on Batu Feringhi. The staff were very friendly and willing to help when we needed it. nThe atmsophere was relaxed.

Unique Quality: The great thing about this resort was it had it's own "kids club" that way the kids could be entertained while the parents sat back adn relaxed.

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Penang

We were on a backpacking trip so it was by pure desperation that we ended up staying here (more about this in my intro). The room was a very welcome sight after staying in hostels etc. Two double beds, large marble bathroom etc etc. I think we paid about US$100 for the room. The hotel is on Penang Island's Golden Beach Strip. A buffet style breakfast is included. There is a walkway across the main road to the beach side and the hotel pool and pool bar with sunbeds and complimentary towels.

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Batu Ferringhi

The north shore of the island is where most of the beach resort are located. This area is known as Batu Ferringhi, that I was said is translated as "Rock of the foreigner", since there are huge rocks in the beaches.

We stayed at one of these resorts, the Holiday Inn, and without being memorable, it was quite OK. The beach was very busy and the water a bit dirty.

Unique Quality: The hotels are lined along the main road that circumvals the island, but most of them are close to a beach.

Batu Ferringhi is an excellent option to combine a relaxing sea-side vacation with the exciting cultural excitement that the island of Penang provides. Having limited time, however, Batu Ferringhi is not the best place to stay for the tourists who would rather focus on exploring Georgetown and its amazing contrasts.

More about Holiday Inn Resort Penang

Re/ Holiday Inn Penang.

by colsers

Hi, Thanks for the replies so far.
We are booked for the garden block, do you thing it's worth paying the extra for the beach block?
Also, are mosquito's much of a bother in Penang? Should we take our repellent plug-in?

We have read differing estimates as to the temp. anything from 29 degrees to 39 degrees, which do you think is more acurate at that time of year, I thought it didn't vary much?
Thanking you again.

Re: Re/ Holiday Inn Penang.

by kikiree

Hi there, hope you will enjoy your vacation in Penang.
I think the temperature won't vary too much, typically around 33 degree celcius during day time, and it might get to 30 degree at night. If you are going to stay by the beach, you will have nice breeze throughout the whole day you are there. Mosquito can be annoying at nighttime if you are outdoor. But don't worry too much.

I love penang as my hometown is only 30min from penang. I hang out in penang a lot. Hope you will like it too!!~~ :)

Comments