Hydro Majestic Hotel Penang

Satisfaction Average

Costs 25% less but rated 11% lower than other 4 star hotels

• hooiluangoh's Profile Photo

Batu Feringghi Holiday Apartment

If you are staying for 20 days, and IF you have a car (even without a car you can consider public transport), I recommend a holiday apartment, where you can cook, swim in the sea or in the swimming pool, etc etc.

The rate for a holiday apartment comes down much cheaper than a hotel.

If you are interested, write me an email. I can hook you up with a friend of mine who just bought a holiday apartment.

Unique Quality: Pool
    Partial Sea view
    Very clean
    3 bedrooms each containing a double bed.
    Both Air-cond and fan
    close to the beach (10 minute walk downhill)
    washing machine

Good value

• pepemorris11's Profile Photo

By the sea

I had room with a balcony which overlooked the sea. Balcony was not swept and was dusty. They did not make up my room even after informing them a couple of times.( before I left for town, after I came back from town and before and after I came back from my swim!) Service was slow but concierge was friendly and helpful. That was in Sept 2005. Things may have changed by then!
    Advantages : Close to the sea and night markets

Unique Quality: Close to the night markets in Batu Feringghi but far from Georgetown. You need to take a bus to Komtar. Bus fare cheap but bus was a boneshaker.

• chanklee's Profile Photo

RATS SEEN

Went Penang 17JUL08 to 21JUL08. Well, I was invited to a wedding 19JUL08 and during the dinner reception, rat was seen running in the ballroom and the staff were seen chasing trying to trap it. One of the service staff still joked as to they can make rat soup. Apparently, this must have been a common thing if they can say such.

Hygiene and health standards seemed to be lacking here in this so called 4 star hotel. One morning while having breakfast at the coffee house, a bird flew to my table and ***ted. I get bird poo on my table. YUCKS. Lots of birds flying around the open area and even within the entrance of the coffee house compound.

THE GM WAS ALSO NOT APOLOGETIC AND SAID TOO BAD IT HAPPENED. HE CANNOT CONTROL ALSO. HE HOWEVER DID ADMITTED THAT HE SAW THE RAT TOO.

DO NOT CHOOSE THIS HOTEL. I checked out the next day immediately after the wedding dinner and checked into another hotel.

Unique Quality: RATS and BIRD *** must have been the specialilty of this hotel. Perhaps soon enough if they catch all the rats, SOUP TIKUS would be the house special.

Directions: Also, this hotel is also far from everything. No beach, no food nearby.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

Now known as the Hydro Majestic

I’m not a fan of resorts, so I’m already biased. Still, I can see why some were enthusiastic, and can understand the complaints of others.

True: This is not in Ferringhi Beach (and I’ll bet that’s why they changed the name). I can’t recommend walking the 3km to Ferringhi Beach, because the road is dangerous. I walked it a few times, and had the devil sacred out of me several times, and I live in India. You will be stuck with either the hotel shuttles (which fill up quickly) or cabs (which are relatively expensive – though this may change when meters become mandatory). I didn’t think that Ferringhi Beach was any great shakes, so I didn’t find this to be a bad thing.

True: Most of the rooms don’t have a perfect panoramic view of the ocean. The hotel is rather ingeniously angled and terraced and staggered so that at least all the rooms on the odd-numbered side have ocean views, as imperfect as they might be (I think they become more imperfect the further back you go). I didn’t see the view from the even-numbered side, but I suspect they had some ocean view too. It looked like a few rooms at the ocean-end might have perfect ocean views, and I’m sure you’ll pay accordingly for them. I had no real issues with my view, except once when someone on a higher, forward balcony kept staring when I was just sitting there. If I’d been doing something interesting…well, whatever.

Why are you spending your vacation looking at the ocean from your room anyway?

True: The beach is across the road from the hotel (and it’s a busy road) – but there’s a footbridge from the premises to the other side, which is more than other resorts/hotels/other places in the area can say. Or at least there is a footbridge when it’s not closed for inspection (as it was during my stay). I suspect you will pay very dearly for hotels with direct beachfront access.

Unique Quality: The room itself was fine – spacious and clean, and everything worked. Kind of bland - nothing spectacular, either good or bad. There was the faint musty smell mentioned in one or another review, but it was the rainy season, so who knows whether that’s permanent.

The common areas were very nice – subdued and tasteful. The pool was well-tended, the restaurants were quite good. Onsite shops and services (convenience store, hairdresser, tailor, and reflexology/massage) appeared to be well looked after. Check-in and -out and travel- and tour-related services were friendly and efficient.

One problem: if you need Internet access wireless is available in some common areas of the hotel, but you have to buy some kind of prepaid card, which apparently no one on the island stocks. I heard rumors of this card in Georgetown, but no one could find one for me. If you come here you will relax, damn it, no checking email at all hours for you.

• MJS17's Profile Photo

Not really up to scratch...

After booking tto stay at this hotel for 6 nights in April 2006, I looked at the reviews and found a mixed bag. Having stayed there I can understand now why there are a variety of different views.

With such cheap room rates, I don't think it's fair to have high expectations as to the quality of this hotel. I found the room to be of a fair standard, suitable for my wife and I (although the Air Con was pretty poor). In the room we were first checked into the view was of a high rise ageing apartment building right next door. I definitely wouldn't recommend a room on that side (the eastern side I think?). We switched to the other side which had a better view and I was reasonably content at this point.

Our main dislike of this hotel was that if you're after a nice relaxing vacation by the beach/pool, then you're sure to be disappointed. The pool area is not like it appears in the brochures. It actually felt quite small and backed on to the noisy main road that runs between Georgetown and Batu Ferringhi. The walkway over the road to the beach meant about 50 steps to get down to the sand and when we got there it was an extremely small area. In general, the hotel had an overall feeling of sadness about it. The staff were ok but didn't seem overly happy to be there. We ate at the restaurant once and the food was alright but despite having breakfast vouchers we only used them once as I really didn't think it looked up to scratch.

As for the pool bar, well, technically there is one but not once in three days did I see any one in it. What's more, it had no fridges or drinks so maybe it's just for show???

In the end we only ended up staying at this hotel for 3 nights. The biggest factor in our leaving was not the room quality but rather the fact it wasn't on the beach front.

If you just want a room to sleep in and maybe a pool to cool off in after a day out of the hotel then I would say this place is ok. But, if you want to relax I recommend choosing somewhere else.

• kraftyT's Profile Photo

definetely budget hotel

Would not recommend this hotel! Only good if you want to lie by the pool all day which probably appeals to some people. Never any room on the shuttle bus so taxis to Batu Ferringhi all the time. I think you can catch the local bus just outside the hotel though. This is not in Batu Ferringhi, it is located between Batu ferringhi and Tanjung Bungah.. No shops nearby and only 1 small restaurant across the road. Very rundown look. The chinese owner needs to start spending a bit of money and get the place renovated!!! We had a deluxe room (supposedly), I would hate to see what the standard room was like.
    Also had a problem with getting lights to work in the room too. Shouldnt be listed as a 3 star , only budget 2 star!

Unique Quality: Very friendly staff especially the massage man at the pool! Very good choice of buffet breakfast.

• freezer61's Profile Photo

Ferringhi Beach Hotel Penang

DO NOT STAY HERE.................... the walls have cracks in that you can fit your thumb in. the sides of the beds are dirty and all ripped and torn. the cellings are covered in mould. we stay only 2hrs before checking into the raza my other listing in peneng. the private beach is no bigger than a postage stamp and the 45 steps down crumbling and half washed away....

• Review by a OneTime.com User from Penang

To be frank to you guys , I dont really favor this hotel. If you are lookign for a fancy hotel with fancy facilities , i wouldn't recomend this hotel to you.

However, if you are looking for a cheap hotel , an afordable hotel without burning your pocket.... This is a right spot~!!.

The only Plus sign is only the price since it is super cheap. Maybe you can save a lot for your accomodation and spend more on shopping if you reside in this hotel
    last visit on January, 2004.

Unique Quality: Pool Great
    Room Not Great
    Conferance Hall Great

Directions: Go along the road , you wont miss it

• Ferenghi Beach Hotel

Nice comfortable hotel with friendly staff.We only stayed bed and breakfeast but the food was good.

Unique Quality: The pool was excellent and and there was a reflexologist called Mr Sun on site who was fantastic.The only drawback is that you need to get a bus to go anywhere as the hotel is on a very busy road without a pavement.

• imstress's Profile Photo

I don't recommend Ferringhi Beach Hotel

If you are looking for a no frills out of the city hotel then go for Ferringhi Beach Hotel. To get to the beach, you need only to cross the overhead bridge. Most of the Batu Ferringhi hotels has direct access to beach front (except this).

I think u may have to knock on teh door if the phone in your room is not working (that happens to me). As it is an old hotel, the bed side lamp may not be working too. A strange encounter was that the lights turns on by itself when u have your morning call (is that ghost or they are high tech) and the lights turns off automatically after an hour usage (did the spirits turn it off?) i got no idea??

Forget about swimming in the small swimming pool in the hotel. Take the shuttle to the beach and do some sea sports instead. Jet ski is at a cost of RM60 for 15 mins.

They mentioned that "Every room has a beach view". But in my own words "Every room has tiny beach view block by other balconies".

Unique Quality: The only consolation is that we had local spread of buffet breakfast at the Contiki Cafe. It seems that I get repeated food items for the 2 days breakfast there. The charges for the buffet is RM18+++ and we got it inclusive of our hotel room rate.

The free shuttle service to George Town has limited pickup and departure.

The hotel provides free shuttle to the beach where u can do jet ski and para-sailing on a beautiful stretch of beach (30 mins awy from Ferringhi Beach Hotel). Limited pickup and departure so do book the shuttle early.

Directions: Ask the taxi driver for directions to this far away place. It is located beside the beautiful houses of Miami Bay.

• bowerhill's Profile Photo

Good pool

Some people complain because this is away from Batu Ferringhi. However, it was only 1 Ringgit on the bus per person or 8 RM for a taxi. Friendly pool area with great snacks, try the prawns and chicken satay.

Unique Quality: The pool bar was great