Northam All Suite Hotel Penang

The Northam All Suite Penang
Orbitz.com Asiatravel.com Agoda.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• iclee's Profile Photo

Great view, a photographer's feast

Aside from their affordable rates, spacious clean rooms, Northam offers a breath-taking view of Penang Sea (leading to the Indian Ocean). From its rooftop swimming pool deck, photographers will have a field trip!

Unique Quality: The pool deck offers great views of the sea, an infinity pool and good service

• iclee's Profile Photo

Space...space...more space

In room jacuzzi, your own receiving area plus a large biz desk thats wired. Each stay at this hotel is sweet if you require very little looking after (read: little room service/housekeeping calls). It was quite hard to explain daily needs to housekeeping. Food at the outlets are a bit tolerable.

Expect buffet during breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cheap but the spread is not too fabulous!

Unique Quality: Very good location. I like the staying in the pool area and staring at the sea. Walking distance to coffee shops and hawker stalls.

Directions: At Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah

• KastleKonfusion's Profile Photo

a jacuzzi bathroom in every room

Hi Shan,

Looks like you are doing a tour of Malaysia, checking out quite a few hotels in those other states that you have queried about. We are interested to check out other states of Malaysia in time and hopefully, we could use your findings when you post them here on VT. ;)

For Penang, we have been staying at Northam All Suites when we do our quarterly business trip up to Penang from Singapore for the past years. We have stayed in Equatorial but we found Northam All Suites to be a more comfortable stay. Also, it's easier to get around. It's a stone's throw away to Green House Coffee Shop and Heam Hiang Biscuit Shop; a short drive to Gurney Drive; a short drive to Lor. Selamat for char kway teow and Macalister for duck noodle/yong tau fu; a short drive to Pulau Tikus for breakfast; a short drive to Campbell Market and Prangin; a not so short drive to Tari Burger and Batu Ferringhi Pasar Malam though. It's a shorter drive to check out the clubs/restaurants at Penang Road. ;)

In the past years of visiting Penang and staying at Northam All Suites, we have stayed many times in their studio suites, a few times in their junior suites and one time in the deluxe suite. We prefer the studio suite as the bed is of a single king sized bed. The beds in the junior suites and deluxe suites are made up of 2 super single bed put together and we didn't like that. Other than the beds, we felt that there weren't much difference to the room facilities as all rooms have the jacuzzi bathroom, the study area, living area to name a few. We didn't think too much of the dining table when we stayed in the deluxe suite as it was just 2 of us and most of the time, we just put our shopping there! :D

I think there are only 7 Studio Suites available as it is a small room and there is only 1 on each floor of the hotel. It has a fantastic sea view. If you are a light sleeper, you might be more aware of the sound from the traffic.

Any complaints? ....mmm... wish they could put in another chair at the desk so both of us could work on the desk - Tom usu. does his work at the desk and I'd have to plonk myself on the sofa or the bed with my laptop. Well, it's better than sitting facing the wall as most if not all hotel room desks are placed where one would sit facing the wall. Depressing if you ask me. :P

PS. When you check in, remember to call housekeeping and ask for bathrobes as it is not a standard issue item for studio suites guest. ;)

Unique Quality: * jacuzzi bathroom in every room
    * laminate flooring [a huge plus point for me who is proned to contact allergies and sinusities]
    * good working desk [another chair would be perfect!]
    * internet access [even at the coffee house :) do we sound like workalcoholics?]
    * infinity pool [we have not tried it yet although we have stayed there so many times!]
    * separate guest toilet [good for when our friends in Penang visit us in the hotel and I won't have to rush ahead to clear up the mess in our bathroom! *blush*]
    * 2 television even in the studio suites
    * unblock sea or city view :)
    * complimentary parking for hotel guest
    * convenient to get around
    * friendly porters :)

turn right->Jln Pangkor
    turn right->Jln Sultan Ahmad Shah

• wawa0050's Profile Photo

Luxury on its own

Felt a tad uncomfortable as this was a business hotel and i was more of a young leisure tourist especially once i entered the hotel lobby as most guests were in business suits and i was dressed very casually and was bit afraid that i will be given sub standard reception while checking in because i looked like a kid when compared to the other guests. However, all's good when my cab was parked across the road but somehow the bellboy managed to spot me and went out all the way to receive my luggage.. so service was good :) However, receptionist was haughty and unfriendly which was a put off.

I was put in the only studio suite available at that time on the top floor which was the 37th floor and once entering the room, there was a deafening noise from the floor above and i was told it came from the generator above. I called reception and asked for a change of room but i think i was connected to the same haughty receptionist and was told that that was the only room available unless i upgrade.Was a bit pissed because i wasn't told of this earlier during check in but just obliged. However, the suite was big, spacious and tastefully furnished with rattan furniture with a study area and living room. Loved it still despite the irritating noise. A few hours later, i got a call from the management to ask if everything was fine and i brought up the problem of the noise and this much nicer lady said that she'd refer this problem to reception. I was a bit doubtful if anything can be done at all since i was told this was the last suite available but to my surprise, i got a call again in less than 5 minutes later telling me that they will be sending somebody up to collect my bags and to bring me to my new room! The new room was on the 25th floor and just as the one before, it was beautiful and the fact that it didnt have that annoying noise made my whole stay in Northam very pleasant. Totally will stay there again and will remember to complain on the haughty receptionist this time around if she still works there. ;)

Unique Quality: I looked up a few hotels in Penang online and wanted something different from other hotels and that's when i found the Northam.. what caught my attention was the fact that i have my very own private jacuzzi right in the comfort of my own room! :) The jacuzzi was fantastic That was a bonus brownie point already and whats more, the hotel has an infinity pool on the 9th floor which is quite high up and the view was amazingly beautiful. Imagine swimming in a pool (although a little small, but hey! it's an infinity pool) and kicking back to enjoy the view of the ocean's horizon and with the cool breeze from being up on the 9th floor to boot. :)

• Swwaattcchh's Profile Photo

Penang's Premium Hotel

The hotel is a good 5 star hotel. Rom service though, takes a tad too long for my liking, but maybe that because I'm impatient.

Hotel breakfast is a good spread.

Though it is in Georgetown and no where near the famous Batu Ferringi beach, it's very reasonable prices more than compensate for the location.

Not to mention, I love their spa facilities and swimming pool that looks out to the sea!

Unique Quality: Spa facilities are one of the better ones I've been to. The therapist is well experienced and skilled in the massage.
    Each spa room is very spacious and equipped with TV, shower, jacuzzi, sauna room and changing room.

Besides the spa facilities, I also love the fact that each hotel room comes equipped with your own jacuzzi.

• DarleneCMF's Profile Photo

ROOM WITH A GREAT VIEW

I stayed here for 7 days in March 2006. It's very roomy - has a foyer, receiving area/sala, an office, king-sized bed and large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. It has wall-to-wall glass windows facing the sea.

Pros: The Hawker Center is just across the street, easily within reach if you prefer the local food.

Cons: The floor is not carpeted so you can sometimes hear footstseps from the above room.

• Star1ight's Profile Photo

Real pictures of Northam All Suite

This is a continuation of my previous tip...

Take a look at some of the real pictures of the cosy Northam All Suite Hotel. These pictures are personally taken in March 2006. And they aren't the same as those promotional pictures which you always find in the hotel's website.

Unique Quality: Take a peek into the jacuzzi, the bedroom, the restroom, what's inside the closet...

They have so much to offer.....

• Star1ight's Profile Photo

Luxurious Hotel in Penang

I was checked into a panaromic sea-view Junior Suite. It was a spacious suite equiped with a fax machine which is good for business travellers. Besides sea-view rooms, there are also mountain-and-Penang Bridge view rooms. Every room has a jaccuzi tub, in-room safe and cable TV.

What is distinct here from the rest of the hotels is the excellent service. The hotel doorman is ever so helpful and the hotel manager is friendly and always on the lookout to provide her best service to the guests.

Furthermore you can try the local delights at night just across the street. (see Off The Beaten Path)

The hotel is running a promotion and it is really GOOD value for money! (approx USD70 per room per night stay inclusive of american breakfast for 2, including taxes.)

Unique Quality: The swimming pool has a fantastic infinity pool view facing the north channel sea. There's also a gym and spa services available.

You can actually see the infamous Penang Bridge by taking the lift up to the top level and look out of the lift lobby window !

Directions: Near Gurney Drive. Its sister hotel is the Gurney Hotel.

• RinaNeo's Profile Photo

You 'll have to try it......

Fellow VTs and potential VTs. Don't just skip the idea of choosing Northam hotel just because it says " All SUITE" .It definitely lives up to its name being a suite hotel...but not with the suite hotel price tag . Rack rate for a junior suite is at RM600++ but at promotion time .. its as low as RM160++ . ( Price is valid as at 16th Sept 04 )
    The last I paid was RM250 nett and it was a fantastic experience.... just look at how wonderful and cozy the rooms are... and it comes with a long spread of buffet b'fast...

Its strategic location near Gurney drive ( 5 mins walk ) and 10 mins drive to town centre is so convenient... u can't ask for more.

The room has a full length window ( seaview ) which allows u to sit by your bed , have a glass of wine or beer if you prefer... watch the sun rise and set....

So VTs travelling to Penang... check out this hotel for at least a night... maybe the last night of your stay in Penang.... won't be a regret.

For booking, its advisible to go direct to Northam homepage as the promotions are uptodate. I notice some travel sites charging more...

so here's the link...

hope the tips is helpful....

Unique Quality: How many times have u experience a open bathroom.. with jacuzzi ....

Directions: 5 Mins walk to Gurney Drive

• eelaine's Profile Photo

suites for a song..

wonderful huge rooms with great views of the sea through a large panel window that stretches across the room.. big jacuzzi with a large window to look out to the ocean.. perfect place to just sit back and relax in between eating sprees.. :)

Directions: near to gurney drive..

Comments