4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Magazine Road, (formerly Shangri-La Hotel, Penang), Georgetown, Penang, 10300, Malaysia

Agoda.com Expedia.com Asiatravel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Avya's Profile Photo

Impeccable service

I would recommend this hotel for the following reasons:-
    1. well equipped, they had robes, ironing board, hair dryer, etc. just like how a 5* hotel should be.
    2. Service was excellent, if you looked just a little lost, someone would come up to you and asked if you needed any help. Even the housekeepers greeted you cheerfully. Their service is as good as Ritz Carltons!
    3. Breakfast was excellent. Fantastic variety, they even had fondue. Breads selection was superb.
    4. Beds were so comfortable, wish I could sleep longer!

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Recommended!

Stayed here for a week during a work trip:

Room - good
    Clean, well-maintained, ample amenities, rather small (200-200 sqft), with full cable TV

Service - superb
    Got back from the factory in the second evening to find a chocolate cake with a happy birthday card- I forgot that it was my birthday. For the rest it was the expected excellent service from Asian hotels.

Facilities - good
    Lobby bar is decent and has nice selection of yummy Malaysian appetizers; fitness center was large enough for it to be not crowded

Location - average
    We chose this hotel due to its easy access to our work location. There's a small shopping center 5 minutes walk from the hotel but that's about it. The E&O is better located when it comes to nightlife and there are other properties by the beach

Price - good
    I paid about $50/night for my stay. I must mention that I did not shop around for rates, as my main consideration was location.

Overall - good
    I would recommend this hotel to friends, and will stay here again if I need to go back to Penang on a business trip

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

Downtown 4 Star Hotel - Traders Hotel

Formerly called the Penang Shangri-La hotel.

Stayed at this hotel several times and several conventions too.

It is centrally located at the end of Penang Road and connected to Komtar and Prangin Mall at the level 3 of hotel. There is also the nearby geodesic Convention Dome and a major bus pickup point in this same Komtar complex building. Easy access to a post office as well the government and municipal offices of Komtar.

There is a dimsum Chinese restaurant called "Cha" on level 2. At the lobby level, there is a popular ala carte restaurant that used to have popular buffets.

Room has all the deluxe amenities but some room size can be small.

Parking is free for first two hours for guests to the restaurants.

• nikita2006's Profile Photo

Penang's Best Hotel

It's a 2 week excellent stay in Shangri-la. The service, facilities and amenities are excellent. And I would recommend this hotel to all because aside from the hotel itself, the staff are really friendly.

Unique Quality: The gym is nice and the pool is really cooool!

• truesally's Profile Photo

Nice Room ~ Pleasant Stay

Very pretty, in the midst of a rundown-looking area. The front desk was kind & helpful - changing money, selling stamps, giving directions.

Our room was amply sized with a small sitting area and desk. The window was a little scary - slightly angled & no sill, so when you stand next to it you feel like you're about to fall to your death. Quiet - we couldn't hear anyone around us or in the hallway.

We had an upgrade that gave us use of the Internet room and a small private buffet room where we had breakfast & late night drinks and appetizers. All of the food was fresh (eggs to order) and good, with some local flavor (tropical fruit, specialty breads).

Laundry was done only by the hotel service (as per custom in Asia, I discovered) and was moderately priced (about $150US for a few days' clothes; undergarments washed in our bathroom and hung on the retractable clothesline).

A free shuttle is available to/from the sister hotel at Batu Ferringhi (gorgeous beach resort), and there are always taxis and trishaws waiting at the front door.

Unique Quality: There is a massage service & gym upstairs and a salon off the lobby. I got a 60 minute aromatherapy massage for about $60US; quite nice. My therapist was more chatty than I'm used to during a massage, but she was a lovely person - she saves stray animals and hopes to open an actual shelter someday. (Big tip!) I didn't use the gym but it looked reasonably equipped.

The beautician in the salon was very kind and squeezed me in for a quick nail polish touch-up before she went home (I arrived just before closing). It was about $8US, and she actually took time to shape & buff my nails, too. (Another big tip!)

There is a bar in the lobby, karaoke a couple of nights there, and a pub-style restaurant where most people went for breakfast.

Directions: Next to the giant mall

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Shangri-La in the city

well if you do not want to stay at the beach front then there are lots of hotel in the city/. This is second best, it follows from the grand old E&O Hotel which in recent years have gone through a massive rennovation.

The location of Shangrila in the city is great - it is close to Komtar, and close to walk to many food outlets etc. Since April 2006, it has been rebranded as Traders Hotel - still under the same hotel management the Shangrila Hotel group of Robert Kuok - just that this is their business traders hotel.

Unique Quality: we stayed at the Club floor - and it was nice. The bed was ultra comfy - i suspect they uses Simmons bedding...and really plush large pillows. The Traders Lounge provided me cocktails at the evening...and it was nice to just being laid back, and have a nice long drink, and snack on some lasagne, fish fritters and some cakes...all part of the club rooms. Also internet is free in the room as well as wifi is available in hotel lobby and the Club lounge.

the gym is OK - they have all the Life Fitness gears - altho air conditioning was not its best. I did enjoy my work out there though with the familiar machines.

More about Traders Hotel Penang

A hotel experience not to be forgotten...

by TripAdvisor Member koremeltdown

Upon arrival, I arrived in Penang 24 hours earlier than expected. I did not intend on staying at the hotel as yet, and stayed at another place for that night (a cheaper place) as I arrived at midnight and did not want to pay a full rate for a half nights stay.
I was concerned however that my baggage would be at risk at a lower priced residence. Traders staff were excellent, happy to take my belongings until my arrival at lunch time the next day.
Having stayed in the Horizon Club, I had access to free internet usage, as well as an advisor on the floor whom provided me with any information I needed on Penang, Locations, People, and most importantly food.
The room was superb, with free water and fruit, a fully stocked fridge and saops etc that were replenished daily.
Hotel staff greeted me by name each time I entered the hotel which is not always forthcoming nowdays - this really impressed me.
The hotel itself looked great, with beautiful internal design, amazing restaurants and wonderful facilities. A gym, pool etc made everything really worth the money.
The only thing that was an issue for me was the location - it was a little bit out of the main areas that Penangites congregate (though Prangin mall was right accross the road, and that was cool!). Besides, eating Penang food at the rate I did ensures weight gain, so a little walking never hurt a tourist, right?
I will most likely be returning to Traders in February, to soak up the sun, sand and shopping that Penang has to offer.

Quiet, Unassuming and well-located

by TripAdvisor Member CHEWKimSoon

I booked a 2-night stay over 16-18 Dec06 and was pleasantly surprised at the swift and efficient manner at which the reservation was handled over the telephone. This hotel is located at the fringe of the busy city centre and well served by taxis and the nearby shopping centres, Prangin Mall and Komtar.

Checking in was fuss-free and quick. The staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and well maintained. Amenities in the room were what you would expect of a 5-star hotel, including a Cat 5 cable for internet connection. The regular international TV channels were available (CNN, Cinemax).

Overall, the experience was very pleasant and I would stay there again, should I re-visit Penang. Keep up the good work.

Kim Soon
Singapore

New Year Break

by TripAdvisor Member hailmaxi

Stayed here 30/12 x3 nights, 2ad&2ch. I'm not shy and I don't mind telling you (wish others would!) I bkd direct on htl website and paid RM220/night (no bfast), for a std room. Keenly priced and good standard of hotel. However, bathroom tiny (a bit tatty with grout falling out of tiles). Huge, comfy bed and room had all mod cons you would expect at 5*. Hotel pool was excellent but bar never open or any staff around, so if you wanted a drink/snack, you had to go without! Buffet bfast excellent, if somewhat pricey. Std of food generally was v.good. Tended to eat out at Gurney Drive area. Bali Hai was superb - hawker-style, seafood place. The hotel location wasn't very good at all for us. Horrid, concrete block Komtar tower next door (although views from the top were good!), along with the bus station. The mall was 'down market' type. There aren't many places to eat bar the mall so would not stay here again as it was miles away from anywhere to see/do. This was part of a 3wk trip along the west coast & sarawak and you must visit Malaysia - the best thing about this country are the people - kind, friendly, positive and helpful, what a refreshing change!

Great Environment and Service

by TripAdvisor Member Penang_Island

The hotel located in the heart of Penang Island.
idea for business (about 20 Mins from Airport) and leisure visitor.

Like i mention in the title, the environment of the hotel is great and the staff there is very helpful.

Will stay again in this hotel for my next visit.

Comments