Berjaya Redang Resort

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Pulau Radang P.O.Box 126 Main Post office, Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu, 20928, Malaysia
The Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
Hotels.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 283% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Berjaya Redang Spa Resort Kuala Terengganu

Lovely island, not so great resort...

by TripAdvisor Member TXExpat

My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Berjaya Redang Beach Resort for three nights in July. The beach itself is absolutely gorgeous, one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen (including Tahiti), and the water is crystal clear and the perfect temperature for swimming. However....

The rooms themselves are three star. Clean and functional, but nothing special. The food was not very good, and quite expensive for Malaysia.

My main problem with this hotel is the service, or rather, the lack of it. Upon getting to our room, we noticed that the rollaway bed we had previously requested online was not in our room. We figured we would handle it later and went down to the beach. Walking down the hall (we stayed in a seaview room), we noticed a rollaway bed folded up at the end our our hall. Ours perhaps? We weren't sure. When we got back from the beach, the rollaway bed still hadn't been put in our room. We had to call down to reception (several times, until someone answered the phone) and request our bed (we weren't sure if the one down the hall was meant for us so hesitated to roll it into our room ourselves).

That may seem like a small thing, but it was lots of little things like that bothered us our whole trip. Just a general indifference to customer service. One day we checked the large, prominently displayed activity board by the pool to plan a snorkeling trip. When we went to book the trip, it was not available for the times on the board. When we mentioned this to the tour operator, she just laughed and told us we shouldn't believe the activity board. Then why have it displayed??

Service in the restaurants was ridiculously slow, regardless of the number of people in the restaurant. At any given time, you could see three or four staff members just standing around while many people waited for water refills, drinks from the bar, etc. Bar service was very slow as well. Also, there is no beach service, so you have to get up and get your drinks. Again, this is a small thing, but such things are nice when you are relaxing on a beach vacation. Also, they were out of several things we ordered, such as vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream and strawberries. Lastly, the shuttle taking us back to the airport left ten minutes early and thus, left us stranded. They rounded up someone else to take us to the airport, but still. Don't leave early unless you've accounted for all your passengers.

That being said, the beach itself is stellar, there were plenty of loungers and they were quite comfortable. The round island trip was also very nice. They take you to four different snorkeling sites which were all very good, and the boat ride from site to site was great since you could take in all that amazing scenery! In all, the service issues would make me not recommend this hotel. Yes, they aren't major issues, but this place isn't cheap for Malaysia by any means, and I expect good service for that kind of money.

Don't let this stop you from visiting Redang. It's just gorgeous; we will simply stay at another resort the next time around.

Great experience, but...

by TripAdvisor Member mishoSofia

I stayed at Berjaya Redang with my wife and our 7-year-old daughter for six days at the beginning of June 2007. We were well prepared, by reading a lot of reviews and looking at lots of pictures of the resort, but our real experience exceeded our expectations.

This is the right resort for you if you want a spic-and-span white sand beach with crystal clear water, like in an Alpine lake (but warm like in a bathtub), a backdrop of coconut trees, and hardly any people on the beach or in the water, except before sunset. Moreover, some 400 meters away, there is another, somewhat larger beach (about 1 km long) with basically the same characteristics, except that it is even more deserted than the hotel beach (and is quite littered). You rarely see more than two or three people there and sometimes have the whole huge beach to yourself. It is perfectly safe since Malaysia has little crime; moreover there is only one little village on the island whose inhabitants would not dream of aggressing a stranger.

Berjaya Redang is also a great place if you love tropical vegetation. The chalets are surrounded by what I would describe as one of the most beautiful tropical botanic gardens I have ever seen (and I have been in those of Rio de Janeiro and Singapore), full of butterflies the size of European bats, tropical squirrels, water monitors (giant lizards, some of which are about 2 meters long and as fat as a young crocodile), geckos, giant ground snails, and occasional monkeys.

Near the rocks, on the left-hand side of the beach, there are some 15-20 species of coral fish which start swarming around you as soon as they see you because they expect food. Great place for snorkeling, although Pasir Panjang, the largest beach on Redang Island is even better (more marine species and more interesting corals).

Berjaya Redang is not the right place for you if you expect nightlife or any entertainment other than swimming, snorkeling, lying on the beach, and eating Malaysian-Chinese food. There is a little and uninteresting village some 400 meters away. You can walk through the jungle to Pasir Panjang - it takes 50 minutes and a lot of sweating. The footpath is well marked (except that that it is very hard to find where it starts) but not for old people or very young children: lots of tree roots across the ground, and several steep slopes.

Berjaya Redang is also not the right place if you expect luxury. The chalets are very comfortable and nice looking, but if you take a closer look you see that, for example, the armchairs are worn out. Still, at 64 euros a night for a double room (free for the child), buffet breakfast included, this is fantastic value for money.

In case you are wondering whether you should stay at Berjaya or at any of the hotels at Pasir Panjang, the answer is simple. Pasir Panjang has one high-end hotel; the other ones are pretty basic. It has good and hygienic inexpensive restaurants and the snorkeling is considerably better than at Berjaya. However, the Pasir Panjang beach sometimes looks like a war zone. Around noon the water gets full of boats of all sizes, anchored or sailing in all possible directions, coming right up to the shoreline. There are nasty oil slicks floating on the surface, which - strangely - do not deter crowds of Chinese snorkelers. To top it off, on two occasions we saw tractors and other heavy construction vehicles crossing the beach or working on it. Just like Phi Phi island in Thailand, Pasir Panjang is a perfect example of what could be paradise but is beginning to resemble a nightmare.

The staff at Berjaya Redang are very friendly and nice. The food is great, especially if you like Asian dishes. The hotel restaurants also serve Western dishes at twice the price of the Asian ones or more (About 10 -12 euros per Western dish, such as New Zealand steak, versus 3 - 6 euros for a Chinese/Malaysian dish with chicken or beef. This being a Muslim country, there were no pork dishes). The beer was exorbitantly expensive relative to the Asian dishes. Wine and liquor were not served (Muslim laws).

Downsides:

We did not have any real disappointments, but I know from forums like this one that some Westerners are picky people, who might be displeased by some of the following:

- The housekeeping is unpredictable in many respects. One day they come at 9:00 AM, the next day they will be in your room at 2:00 PM. One day they will get done in one session, the next day they will clean the room in the early afternoon but bring you new towels in the evening. Once they bring you the right number of towels, the next day you are one towel short. One day the floor is swept perfectly, the next day it is a botched job. However, the bed sheets and towels were always perfectly clean.

- If you cannot eat spicy food, you are in trouble. Asking the waiters not to bring you anything spicy does not make much sense, because they will say "no spicy, no, no" and then they will serve you hellfire. If you protest, they will tell you with a condescending smile that even little children in Malaysia can eat that stuff. This is our general experience not only from Redang, but from all Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand, from low-end and high-end restaurants alike. Once we asked a waiter to replace the dish with something less hot and she did, but we could not tell the difference. The way to deal with this is either to order only Western dishes, or - if you insist on Asian food - order several dishes hoping that one or two of them will be less spicy. Most noodles and rice are usually quite mild; most soups are like burning napalm. (Alternatively, you can practice drinking Tabasco sauce in large gulps with all your meals for a few weeks before your departure to Asia; that could soften the shock once you arrive).

- There are lots of mosquitoes at Berjaya. Malaysia does not have malaria but dengue fever is not very rare. Besides, the mosquitoes are really vicious (unless you are one of those lucky people like my wife who seem to have mosquito repellent in their blood), so you might consider wearing repellent whenever you are in the shade, which will probably be most of the time.

- The wild beach has a lot of litter. As usual in such cases, my daughter and I cleaned the whole beach and piled the litter - water bottles, sneakers, etc. - in three or four places behind the beach, hoping that somebody will eventually dispose of it properly, but the situation is hopeless. Every day some 5-10 couples or families from the village come to that beach on motorbikes at various times and dump their litter right on the sand, so a few days later it looks as if it has never been cleaned.

- I got stung by an unidentified marine creature (which I did not see) right on the genitals. Nothing serious but quite painful and the pain lasted for three days.

- This one is perhaps the only serous issue. As we swam some 10 meters off the wild beach, we suddenly noticed that the water had turned dark green. We discovered that this was water trickling into the sea from the swamp on the right-hand side of the beach. This is exactly the kind of water you want to avoid in the tropics because it can contain all sorts of invisible parasites that penetrate your skin through the pores and give you nasty diseases (such as schistosomiasis/bilharzia) and can cripple you for the rest of your life. The swamp spill was quite large and we wondered whether the parasites (if there were any) could not survive for some time in salty water as well. At high tide the spill disappears as the sea floods the creek between the sea and the swamp but the issue of the parasites remains. As we returned to the hotel beach, we noticed a similar, albeit smaller, green spill in the water. We discovered that the hotel beach also had a fresh-water creek on its left-hand side. This is a serious issue but I have no idea what the real risks are. I do know however that some of those tropical fresh water parasites can lurk in your body for years before you feel the first symptoms and the diseases they cause are initially hard to diagnose even in an American hospital.

- I would avoid the local eateries, located between Berjaya and the village. We had several cheap meals at one, called Aima's, right at the entrance to the Berjaya compound. Then, one day I noticed that my soup bowl had a brownish coating inside, which came off as I scratched it with my fork. We did not have any stomach problems but the idea that they do not wash the dishes properly grossed us out. The hotel restaurants seem to maintain good hygiene, though.

You are welcome to write me and ask questions at michaelminkov@yahoo.com

paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member evelynitaly

a nice place for relax but unfortunately when we's there there're quite a some of taiwanese.quite of a rude people shouting in the pool and misbehave not kids but the adults.
my son had a nice time too with Mr.Lee or Lim,who brings us out for jungle trekking.we wish to come back next year in June.
what a lovely person too the chef!

Amazing.... true paradis island

by TripAdvisor Member sephine

We booked our trip directly throught the Berjaya air package holiday website. The price was really good. We took the Berjaya flight from singapore. Good safe journey.... air con was a little strong, but very puncture service.

The hotel is lovely. We paid a little extra for the Redang Sea view room. The view is from the room is amzing. Do ask for a room with full sea view. The room is very big. A bath and shower, and separately dressing area. The balcony is huge with two wooden deck chair. The bed is very comfy and big. The hotel is on the hill, so you can get shuttle from reception or a 5 mins walk to beach.

The spa isn't bad, although not the best I have had.

The beach is true paradise. Very relaxing and quiet.

The snokelling trip is very cheap and well worth it. We saw the amzing coral and huge fish. Millions of colourful fishes.

The only bad point is the food. It really wasn't that good.

We went on the last week of september and the weather wasn't bad. The first day was very sunny and the second was slightly cloudy. During the night, there's huge storm which last for about 1 hr though.

Overall, highly recommended and true relaxing paradise.

Beautiful beach, nice rooms, good service

by TripAdvisor Member maxitutu

we went there for a few days at the beginning of October. the beach was great and not crowded (ive heard it can be rammed at other times of year). the service was very good. the sea view rooms are better than expected. the booze is at pricey (like all over malaysia), so bring a bottle of rum with you. Another tip - when you fly from KL to Terenganu in the early morning youll have to wait a couple of hours for the ferry to redang. we went to china town and found a great dim sum restaurant. perfect mid morning snack.

the losong museum...the losong museum...

Kuala Terengganu AirportKuala Terengganu Airport

the clubhousethe clubhouse

Sea ViewSea View

pulau redang: Coral Redang - or Berjaya Redang Resort?

by tom6500

Hello to everybody,

My girlfriend and my are planing a visit to Pulau Redang in June 2004.

We are thinking about taking the plane from KL direktly to Redang Island with Berjaya airways. Has anybody made experience with that flight?

To the resorts: We read in the forum about Berjaya Redang and Coral Redang. Both sound good. We are looking for silence (not to many rooms), best possible beach, good food and diving. We also would prefer a bungalow with sea view - detached if possible.

So what would be the best choice?

Re: pulau redang: Coral Redang - or Berjaya Redang Resort?

by eelaine

hi there.. the flight to redang is very new.. so, no comments on that as of now.. as for accomodations, there's a new resort in redang that's really nice called laguna.. however, it's on pasir panjang.. that's the beach with wonderful marine life as well as night life.. :) so, it might not exactly be your choice for a quiet holiday.. well, i guess if money is not an issue then berjaya will be perfect for you.. have a great trip! :)

Re: pulau redang: Coral Redang - or Berjaya Redang Resort?

by bckl2255

Ask any Malaysian, most of them will tell you that Redang is too commercialised & developed. There is more than 15 resorts there, from budget to 5-star hotel. It is still a beautiful island but tend to be crowded. For your info, the 1st 14 days of June is Malaysia school holidays and Redang can be crowded with families & children.

If you want peace & quiet with a smaller island & resort, why not check out Pulau Lang Tengah. It is another island next to Redang. About 1 hour boat ride from Redang.

Check out this site : www.dcoconutlagoon.com

Best beach holiday in Malaysia?

by bambi_hk

Hey guys,
I'm planning my annual holiday and am thinking about Malaysia.. I heard Perhential islands is great, esp for diving but I find the hotels there not very attractive to me.. I am looking for somewhere with nice accomodations, white-sand beaches, good-enough diving and preferably some other attractions as well... Am I asking for too much? : P
I have considered Langkawi but also heard it's very commercialised and diving isnt good.... please help me!!

by dar76

hi there!

yup, perhentian island definitely has the best beach..if u r looking for the perfect place to swim, long beach on perhentian kecil island would be it..no corals, soft sand, crystal clear n shallow water..it's basically one huge swimming pool!

but yeah, there r no luxury accommodations there..the best would be Bubu Long Beach which is the only proper hotel there..it has air-conditioning, hot water etc..you can check out their website to find out more..

as for perhentian besar island, which is right next to perhentian kecil, you can check out Tuna Bay Resort..they also have a website that u can go to..they have a house coral right in front of the beach so you can just swim out to snorkel..

langkawi is definitely highly commercialized and the beach r not as very nice..i would not recommend it if u r looking for nice beaches and diving spots..

basically, it all depends on your priorities..most of the nice snorkeling/diving spots r not very commercialized..they r basically gorgeous islands with crystal clear water, pristine beaches and great corals..some of these would be perhentian islands, redang island, tioman island, lang tengah island and sipadan islands..

at redang island, you can check out the Berjaya Redang Resort which is nice and has a nice beach..it's a bit expensive though..so it all depends on your budget.. :)

by tbkiang

I think you are referring to Perhentian island, is it?
There are some nice resort in it, try google "Perhentian".
If not, you can try Redang island which is just beside Perhentian island. It is is slightly more commercialize with high class resort like Berjaya. The island is just as nice... :-)

by Heidi_My

How about Sipadan Water Village resort? or check the website.

travelling to Redang or Perhentian from Kota Bharu

by cpatel

Hi all,

Can you please inform me as to the best way to travel from the airport of Kota Bharu to Redang or Perhentian?

I have decided to stay a few nights at one of these islands. I will be taking a flight from KL to Kota Bharu. Is this the best way or are there direct flight to Redang?

If so, which airlines operate and also what would the return cost be to KL?

Can these flight be booked online?

Many thanks,

Chirag

by cgf

have a look at www.airasia.com

by xuessium

HI! Chirag:

Air Berjaya flies KL-P.Redang but only if you stay at the Berjaya Redang Resorts.
Link: http://www.berjaya-air.com/

by bckl2255

If you going to Redang, fly to Kuala Terengganu Airport. Then a short taxi trip (25min) to Merang Jetty. Merang jetty is the departure point for boats to Redang and Lang Tengah. FYI, Kota Bharu Airport to Merang takes more than 2 hours.

If you going to Perhentian, fly to Kota Bharu airport. Then a short taxi trip (50 min)to Kuala Besut jetty (departure point to Perhentians).

You can fly Berjaya Air from Subang Airport (Kuala Lumpur) to Redang island direct, even if you are not staying in Berjaya. But they will give priority to Berjaya guest first. Berjaya Air schedule are not really realiable and often subject to postponement or cancellation.

RE: RE: travelling to Redang or Perhentian from Kota Bharu