No. 5, Jalan Abu Baker, Terengganu, 86800, Malaysia
Agoda.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 261% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Pulau Perhentian Besar

snorkelingsnorkeling

The Jetty: Boats take you to and from the mainlandThe Jetty: Boats take you to and from the mainland

water taxiswater taxis

water taxi for local transportationwater taxi for local transportation

Accomodation in Perhentian Besar

by elina.s

Hi, I really need your advice as I do not know exact dates when I will be in Perhentian I can not book any place to stay. So maybe someone knows how possible would it be just to arrive in Perhentian at mid March 2011 and get a room without reservation?

Thank you so much in advance for the help.

by earthflyer

All I can say is good luck.

The best you can do is get the first ferry over in the morning and hope enough people have left by the time you get their. If you arrive in the afternoon don't be surprised if you end up staying in a dorm on your first night.

Perhentian is very popular with backpackers and their is not enough accommodation for everyone.

you may get a room or hut but not the type you we're hoping for.

In 2005 I got their in the afternoon and I ended up in a large hot smelly dorm but I got my name on the list first thing in the morning the room was nothing special. Nice place but not a great exerience.

by cgf

two years ago, mid march, it was not very busy, plenty of rooms.
Of couse you better avoid weekends and in case you want to go to Abdul Chalet a reservation it's more then a suggestion as they are very requested.

by earthflyer

I think I went either June or July time back in 2005.

by cgf

I've been March and August, I found March as begin of the season, not too busy but I remembered I avoided School Holidays.
next year Mid-Term Holiday will be:
in Kedah - Kelantan - Terengganu from 11.03.2011 and 19.03.2011
and rest of Malaysia Mid-Term Holiday would be from 12.03.2011 till 20.03.2011

Travel Tips for Pulau Perhentian Besar

Monsoon Season in the East Coast of Malaysia

by azmilsyahmi

In october to Feb, normally its Monsun on the East Coast of Malaysia that is the states of Terenganu and Kelantan. So snorkeling its out of the question. Just make sure on your room bookings at the hotels on the islands as I have heard that most hotels are closed during the Monsoon Season.

on the way to perhentian

by sakatsu

Where are you starting journey? KL to Kota Baru is a long train journey. YOu might want to consider a stop over like Penang where there are many photographic opportunities (culture, food, people, architecture) before crossing to the east side. Kota Baru has amazing food & culture. Many traditional practises still alive here. Then head over to Kuala besut jetty. Best perhentian resorts are probably full already for june which is start of peak season. Perhentian Island Resort has mixed reviews. one of the better ones is tuna bay.

Local Fauna

by TexasDave

Nothing to worry about, but you might cross paths with a monitor lizard. There are a few on the island that measure over a meter and a half, but they are much more scared of you than you are of them. So just stand still for a few minutes, observe, and enjoy.

We also observed a local variety of squirrel clinging to a bunch of ripe bananas and helping himself to a meal. Unfortunately when I adjusted the photo for posting here it is too dark and doesn't look like anything.

BYO Perhentian Island Sunset

by TonyBagnall

Scrummy cocktail If you like a drink or two the cheapest thing to do is to bring a bottle of duty-free vodka. We got a bottle of mandarin flavoured vodka from the airport and mixed it with fruit juice. We got fresh mango, banana and watermelon juices from the nearest beach cafe, took these back to our hut and mixed our own cocktail which we christened the "Perhentian Island Sunset". We enjoyed one or two of these each evening on our porch watching the sun go down. Bliss!

Best Time to Visit

by bkoon

The best time is between March - October and you may get some advice regarding the weather condition before you go. Try to avoid school (Malaysia and Singapore) and public holiday as it is difficult to book and surchages will be imposed in most resorts.

Comments