Pulau Perhentian Besar Hotels

Our Members Say

• leahdominguiano profile photo leahdominguiano
  • Reviews: 17

D'Coconut Resort: Good Escape from the Hustle and Bustle

Location:
- Definitely accessible and transportation are readily available.
- Has a great access to the beach. It is right in front of the hotel.

Budget:
- Affordable since we paid for only $600 for our 4d/3n stay for 2.

Beach:
- No eldritch animal frolicking the area.
- We only saw a lot of seaweeds which caused the beach to be a bit dirty.
- Cream sand not white sand.
- Clear blue water

Technology:
- Pretty much there's nothing to say about this. There wasn't a tv inside our room nor internet connection. We also didnt have electricity from 3-5pm, not just in the hotel but throughout the entire island. Talk about seclusion. That was one thing that I didnt know about the island.

Pool:
- It is not well-maintained.
- Great views though of the beach.

Overall:
- The place is good for group outdoor and water activities.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Beaches, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written April 12, 2011

D' Coconut Island Resort in Pulau Besar

• fippie profile photo fippie

Arwana Resort: Arwana Resort

I stayed in a seaview chalet which was worth the price. The beach is five steps away from the doorstep and it's a FANTASTIC view. Inside, the rooms are clean, with running hot water. The lighting's a bit dim but you won't spend much time in the room anyway. The rooms are made up every day, nice to come back to after spending a few hot sweaty hours at the beach. There is a verandah with a table and chairs so that you can relax, watching the ocean. Alternatively, there are deckchairs outside on the beach.

Food isn't all that great but then again, I didn't go there for the food. The hotel gives out coupons if you're taking a package, so I guess it's worth it because it's buffet style for breakfast, lunch, tea AND dinner. There's also another cafe if you want other choices of food.

As far as activities go, Arwana has it all. They can take you out for island hopping, diving, snorkelling, and you can rent canoes too if you're feeling adventurous. They also have snooker and karaoke if you're into those.

There's also a large swimming pool but I didn't bother to use it, the beach is wonderful enough.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Eco-Tourism, Beaches
  • Written July 5, 2008

View from a canoe

• louisetaft profile photo louisetaft
  • Reviews: 6

Reef Chalets: Lovely peaceful chalets

Wonderfully peaceful chalets set back a little from the beach away from the footfall, arranged in a semi circle of about 10. Low key and basic but clean and functional. No hot water unfortunately, but that is usual on the island except at some of the more professional resorts.
Amazing value - we paid RM80 per night but had been quoted RM150 at Coral View for similar facilities with a smaller bathroom and a hike away from the beach.
They don't take credit cards so make sure you have enough cash.
The owner is friendly and can arrange snorkelling trips as well as selling drinks and snacks.
The ceiling fan and mosquito net give it a tropical charm.

A peaceful atmosphere. Set back enough from the beach to escape footfall.

• Related to: Beaches, Budget Travel, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written May 1, 2008

• divecat1978 profile photo divecat1978
  • Reviews: 82

Arwana Perhentian Eco Resort & Beach Chalet: A stay with fun and frills

It offers a nice and relaxing stay during my trip in year 2004. It was a great stay. My friends and I enjoyed the warm welcome and service by the staff. The food served was just nice to fulfill our hunger.
When I revisit this hotel again in year 2006, it had extended its facilities to accomodate the guest. Now, the dive operater is fully operated with more dive trips around Perhentian Island.

It has a large swimming pool, meeting room & conference facilities, sauna and massage services.

• Related to: School Holidays, Family Travel
  • Written April 8, 2008

Cozy stay

• sylvdawn profile photo sylvdawn
  • Reviews: 7

Fauna Chalets: Budget Besar

This is ideal budget accommodation for a visit to Besar Island. We paid 50 R per night for a very basic beach chalet with double bed and en-suite. Basic but clean but more importantly because a slight breeze on this beach there were no mosquitos or sand flies! We had found them to be ferocious at the Reef where we had good accommodation and helpful staff. The Reef is cheaper accommodation (from 80R) next to the Coral View Resort (which has been praised on the site). Overall however Besar is heaven - torquise sea and soft powdery sand.
The food served at the Fauna was also surprisingly good and actually better than we had at Mama's chalets or the Coral View

Our Chalet was right on the beach and we loved watching all the coming and going of water taxis and diving groups. Monkeys, tree snakes and monitor lizards all there to be seen.

• Related to: Beaches, National/State Park, Budget Travel
  • Written March 30, 2008

• shaharisma profile photo shaharisma

SUITE SEA VIEW & DELUXE FAMILY SEA VIEW: CORAL VIEW ISLAND RESORT

Dear Friends,

My family and I have been visiting Perhentian Island every year for the past 4 years. We visited twice in 2005. Once in May & once in August.

We have stayed in Flora Beach and Coral View Resort. Both are in Perhentian Besar. I've been to Long Beach (Perhentian Kecil) too but the beach is dull... sorry, only a lot of foreigners there...

Honestly, we highly recommend Coral View Resort. We have been there 4 times. Why? As its name you can really snorkel for corals & colorful coral fish here. Just a few steps from your beach front Chalet (approx. RM290/day with excellent setup fo the whole family!).

We have never failed to see Nemos (Percula Clownfish) there. My kids loved their snorkelling spree everytime!

I've also encountered Black Tip sharks, turtles & Blue Dotted Stingrays here. The Coral lagoon area is huge (I think the largest in Perhentian Islands, both) and is as almost as what was shown in the movie, Nemo. Lagoon Depth is from ankle height up to 20 feet deep... a heaven on earth!

U can also rent a boat for RM120/day to visit the Perhentian kecil & to other snorkelling spots like the Shark Reef, etc.

The staff were friendly, the food & drinks was excellent. They have also fresh seafood for barbeque there. They even have satay! Don't forget to try Coral Sandy Beach Mocktail at the cafe if u decide to stay there.

If u are looking for a cheap one, I recommend Flora Beach. Chalet rates as low as RM120. The food is fresh, excellent and as cheap as mainland. The nearest snorkelling spot is the Black Tip Shark Reef which is only a 100 metres away.

Happy holidaying!

• Written November 12, 2007

• juliewong profile photo juliewong
  • Reviews: 169

Turtle Beach Creek Resort: Basic and quiet resort

The resort (sometimes known as Bubbles Resort to scuba divers) offers basic chalet-style accomodation from A-frame wooden huts for double occupancy to quad-sharing rooms. YOu will only enjoy your stay if you are looking for peaceful
and quiet environment as the resort sits on its private beach area with a lagoon.

Bad thing about this place is, the resort does not provide hot shower.
There is a dive center known as Bubbles Dive Center next to the resort.

Food is pretty good however prices are steep especially the beverages.
Great views of the ocean and plenty of peace.

• Related to: Beaches
  • Written October 9, 2007

• Blondiina profile photo Blondiina
  • Reviews: 195

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tuna Bay Island Resort: Sea view!

Tuna Bay Island Resort is a lovely small resort consisting of 46 rooms in chalets facing the beach, garden or jungle. The location is very nice on a beautiful beach with its own small reef just a couple of meters off shore, which is perfect even for those who might not be very confident swimmers/snorkelers. The sea is crystal clear and you will see fishes even without a mask. The best view of the beach is, however, a little spoiled because of the new pier that is being built in front of the Marine Park centre. We booked our transfers to/from Kota Bharu airport with the resort and everything was arranged as agreed, very hassle free.

The hotel restaurant is very good and affordable and actually really atmospheric at night. Buffet breakfast, which was included in the rate, was plentiful with fresh fruits, breads, cereals, fried noodles (my favourite), coffee and tea etc.

Staff is nice and friendly, some with better English skills than others. There was this one nice man in particular (unfortunately I didn’t catch his name) , a kind of a handy-man, who repairs beach chairs and everything else that needs maintenance but also looks for animals and comes to tell you if he’s spotted monkeys etc. Don’t know if he is the jungle guide too.

Our sea view room was basic but clean. Air-conditioning was efficient, even too efficient, so that we used only the fan at night. No TV or fridge. The missing of a TV was not a problem, but a small fridge would have been nice. Bathroom was OK and had a fan too, which kept the bathroom nicely cool. Shower wasn’t exactly powerful but there was enough warm water and the water temperature was surprisingly even. Towels are the only negative thing as some of the towels were very thin and had stains. The beach towels were much better than the towels in the room.

All in all, I think Tuna Bay is just perfect for a laid back beach holiday. Its relaxed but not too basic.

The best thing was about Tuna Bay was absolutely the sea view. The sea view chalets are just a couple of meters from the waters edge and if you don’t want to laze around on the beach, you can enjoy the view from your own terrace, which has bamboo furniture. Or you can just lie on your bed and admire the sea from the comfort of your air-conditioned room. Blissful.

• Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Fishing, Beaches
  • Written May 29, 2007

Tuna Bay Island Resort

• lilmisswongy81 profile photo lilmisswongy81
  • Reviews: 21

Tuna Bay Island Resort: Popular Tuna Bay

Mid April 2007 - Great place to stay on Perhentian Besar. Very affordable. Snorkelling directly in front of the hotel. Free hire of beach towels daily. Awesome restaurant. Probably most expensive restaurant on this part of the island but had delicious meals and buffet breakfasts. The buffet breakfast was part of the cost of the accomm. Chalets were nice and cosy with a lock up safe. Clothes line between each chalet. Literally 10m from beach was the jungle chalet in which we stayed. There was however no TV. I know I can't complain about this cause the views from Tuna Bay were spectacular.

Pigged out on hash browns in the buffet breakfast

• Written May 22, 2007

• cheeliew profile photo cheeliew

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Tuna Bay Resort: Tuna Bay Resort in Pulau Perhentian

I chose this place after reading thru the reviews. It was ok overall except for a few things

1 - I took the package and it was suppose to give me the garden view chalet, but instead I was given jungle view. I didn't realise it until i checked out. The staff didn't have the courtesy to ask me if it's ok if I take the jungle view which is much cheaper. After I checked out, and when I realised this, the staff told me it's based on availability. If that is the case, it should be be clearly stated, but it's not!

2 - Don't take the package!!!!! Why? Because it's much cheaper to opt for the room and select the things you need individually. When I asked the staff about this, she just said ' It's like that' and brushed me off. Rude!

Overall, the place is nice, but do take note of what I said!

• Written May 3, 2007

• burntfacedjake profile photo burntfacedjake
  • Reviews: 6

Arwana: Perhentian Besar Resort

Booked through Anjung Holidays on the web. Very easy. They have a travel desk at Kota Bharu airport and will arrange a taxi to Kuala Besut for the boat. Anjung also has an office next to the jetty at Kuala Besut. The boat trip can be bumpy. Hold on tight! We booked a standard room but upgraded to a beach front with balcony. The view was stunning even at night when thunderstorms over the mainland lit up the coast. The staff were friendly if a little disorganised. The beach here has a few other places to stay but these are more basic. The term eco-resort is a bit of a misnoma as there is no obvious attempt at 'green' tourism. Disappointingly the beach to the east of the resort while looking idyllic hides some rubble from the hotel construction. The beach is also very shallow and has lots of coral fragments which means it is not ideal for swimming. If you are happy to swim elsewhere on the island the beach is beautiful and pretty quiet. You can walk through the jungle to other beaches (hot work!) or get a boat taxi.

The food was a buffet and was below average, except on the couple of occasions when fishermen brought in their catch and you could pick fresh fish or crabs cooked in whatever style you wanted. There are other places to eat on the same beach which do decent food. The hotel has a bar but the staff seem reluctant to open it. Beer and cheap food can be had at the delightful little B 1st bar along the beach.

There is a dive centre there and the hotel runs snorkelling trips.

Recommended if you want a pool and air-con, but eat out and use the boat taxis to explore other beaches. The other main beach, facing Kecil, is better for swimming from and there are more food and accomodation options there, but it is busier

• Related to: Beaches, Family Travel
  • Written February 2, 2007

View from Arwana

• sagamigal profile photo sagamigal
  • Reviews: 19

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Arwana Resort: Quaint Resort

We booked a 3D/2N package online for the Arwana Resort. It included flight from KL and the speedboat ride from Kota Bahru. Everything went well on the journey, the speedboat took about 40 minutes to get to Perhentian Besar. The weather was a bit overcast the morning we arrived by quickly changed and lifted our spirits! The beach had soft, white sand and crystal clear water. Check-in was a bit slow but then again, we didn't mind waiting while taking in the beautiful view. Our room was a beachfront, one-room 'villa' with the basic amenities. It was quite low-key but clean. At dinner time, we realized that there was a mini-convention going on and the queue for the buffet was terribly long. The hotel seemed so ill-prepared that they couldn't keep the food coming along fast enough! So anytime we wanted to get another helping, we had to wait at least 10 minutes for the kitchen to prepare it!! Rather than getting p*ssed off we did as the locals were doing - relaxing and chatting at the table with their friends!!
Overall the location was secluded and gorgeous! I didn't have any major complaints at all. I would stay there again.

There wasn't anything unique about the hotel. I wouldn't call it a resort like they call it though. Of course the beach and the views were awesome. Even though there were lots of people staying there, it didn't feel crowded.

• Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written December 21, 2006

• jesa00 profile photo jesa00
  • Reviews: 5

Mama's Place Chalet: Affordable Comforts of Perhentian Besar

When I first arrived at Mama chalet, I was a little sceptical. Friends who recomended me the place said that it was affordable, clean and it's simple chalets that are practically beachfront. So we had high expectations, and ones we got there, and upon meeting Aziz the owner, we felt the warmth and hopitality of Perhentian and knew my friends were right.

The chalets are clean (most important!) and the bathroom too is clean but very basic. It's got the basics in the room I stayed in. A fan, mosquito coil (in case of the mozzie attack), clean bathroom, towels, a nice verandah you can chill, a dressing table and of course a double bed. The deluxe chalets have airconditioning, but who needs them when you're surrounded by beautiful coconut trees.

The night time BBQ dinners are yummy with a wide variety of seafood and sauces with prices that can be negotiated.

Everything about Mama Chalet was great, the friendly staff who are actually family members of the owner and the overall ambiance. I've been back there thrice and plan to go back there again.

Recommended for everyone.

The friendly people, who remember you and treat you like family. The simpleness and no fuss way of life. A perfect holiday to get away from it all.

There are snorkeling facilities, canoes and water taxi's to take you to the other parts of the island.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written September 27, 2006

• Guantanamera profile photo Guantanamera
  • Reviews: 258

Tuna Bay Island Resort: Chalets at Tuna Bay

The chalets at Tuna Bay Island Resort are very good quality, nicely furnished and very clean. Each chalet includes hot water, air conditioning and 24 hour electricity. Fortunately, they do not have televisions, which assists in the breaking free of the habits and circumstances of life in the big city and getting back to nature to some degree. Each chalet also has a balcony to sit on and a water faucet just outside to clean sand off the sandals or feet. Ceiling fans are also included if you don't want to use air con. The staff was somewhat lax about cleaning the rooms but they will do it if you specifically request it...

• Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written September 13, 2006

• Guantanamera profile photo Guantanamera
  • Reviews: 258

Tuna Bay Island Resort: The Beach at Tuna Bay

The beach at Tuna Bay Island Resort is composed of fine powdery sand in the upper area where the beach chairs are and sand full of bits of sharp coral on the lower end, near the water so take care when treading down for a swim. The waters below have some sandy regions but mainly a large patch of coral with many kinds of colorful fish that can be seen swimming around you in the clear waters. You can rent snorkelling equipment for only RM 5 and see all the fish. Tuna Bay Resort provides blue beach towels to guests and they also have a set of many wooden beach chairs for lounging as well as some beach umbrellas...

• Related to: Spa and Resort