Shari-La Island Resort

anoum's Profile Photo

Clean, very comfortable

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2009

We went to Pulau Perhentian Kecil on a packaged trip booked from Forever Travel Butterworth. But later I found out that the travel agent contracted our group's booking to another travel agency, Forever Best, based in Penang. I don't know why. There were 14 of us and we travelled in a coach with 2 other families who had also booked through Forever Travel BW.

We paid RM498 each and it covered everything-transport (BW-Kuala Besut-P.Perhentian Kecil two-way, 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, 2 dinner, snorkelling equipment and trips). Definitely worth the money.

The resort feels and looks 3-star. Its standard chalet (2 persons) is advertised outside the entrance at RM280 per night (with 2 breakfast). There is deluxe (3 persons) and family (4 persons). The room is rather small but there is enough space to be comfortable. Has cable TV.

Its buffet breakfast is rated satisfactory. We had lunch and dinner at Amelia Cafe where they serve good Malay food.

Unique Quality: The only 3-star accommodation at this bay. Very friendly staff although not so efficient. I also rate them as honest as I could recover my shoes that I left behind in another chalet a day earlier. I had to change chalet as the water heater in the 1st chalet didn't work.

Very clean place. The bathrooms are totally mould-less and I even saw a worker wiping the wooden balustrades of the walkways and porches of every chalet.

Lots of trees have been retained during development and I really like that although it meant mobile reception is hampered in the chalet area.

It has its own electricity supply (24 hr).

The water right in front of the resort is clean and you can bathe there although not snorkel. It is too shallow. Behind the resort, there is a little beach where you can both bathe and snorkel safely.

There are other food shops, dive operators, snorkel operators etc nearly. There are also other types of cheaper accommodations. You can also walk to Long Bay, 10 mins walk.

We had lunch and dinner at Amelia Cafe. Food there is good. We also had very good fresh fruit juice at Sunset Cafe. I was pleasantly surprised that my mango juice (RM4) was really made from the fruit and not out of a tin or bottle.

Directions: When at Kuala Besut jetty, tell the boat operator where you are heading to.

Shari-La Island Resort

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Shari-La Island Resort

• Restaurant

Pulau Perhentian Kecil Travel Forum

Need advice about Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Malaysia? Visit the Travel Forum for Pulau Perhentian Kecil and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Pulau Perhentian Kecil hotel reviews