Hyatt Kinabalu

Agoda.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Well Located - Luxury Rooms

Arriving late afternoon from Australia we were very pleased with our room on one of the highest floors. Recently renovated with luxury fittings this very large room with views over the city to the South China Sea was much better than we expected.
    The bathroom was clean and modern, the toilet was separate to the bathroom which is more convenient.
    Buffet Breakfast was included.
    We departed early the next morning on a 4 day tour of Sabah, returning later in the week for 2 more nights at the Hyatt in an even better room.

Unique Quality: We were to busy to use the hotel's other facilities but viewed the large swimming pool which faces the waterfront.

Hotel prices in Kota Kinabalu are much cheaper than equivelent hotels in Australia, at least half price.

Directions: City Centre, 5 minutes walk to waterfront.

• THLIN's Profile Photo

Great value

I love their helpful staff and friendly environment; you would certainly enjoy this place.

Unique Quality: Nothing really special in terms of a normal 5-star hotel, but their sea view is definitely a must see if you ever pay a visit here. (Sadly, I stayed in an city-view room, but good enough though!)

• precy828's Profile Photo

One of the Best Hotel

I am very impressed by the Hotel's staff because they are all very accommodating. I requested the Sea View King and they give it to me. It's so nice and comfortable to stay in this Hotel. It's also at the hub of KK

Unique Quality: Since it is in the Hub, it's just walking distance to almost everything from sights to see to places to eat to gift shops. The facitilies are also nice. I can't say much about this hotel.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Service at budget prices

What can I say, this was a class hotel with a service to go with it. I would have happily stayed here for the whole of our trip.

Unique Quality: Excellent food with three distinctive restaurants, one of these has themed nights where they experiment with foods of the world. We had a lovely meal in here on their Mexican night which was of a high standard and although more expensive than local restaurants still reasonable by european standards. I would however give breakfast a miss as it wasn't particularly interesting and if you can hang on to 10 am you can go the the shopping mall next door which has a reasonable food hall doing local dishes for a fraction of the price.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Luxury Hotel in City Centre

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu is located in the heart of the city of Kota Kinabalu, facing the South China Sea. The hotel is 15 minutes from Kota Kinabalu International Airport, and located within the busy and lively section of the city. The inside of the hotel is large and there are entertainment areas and lounges that will cater to your social needs. The services was friendly and professional.

The last time I stayed there, there was a live band playing updated pop songs and oldies as well. During the day, I could walk to the shopping mall and wet and fish markets to see the local scenes. In the evenings, I could also walk to the night markets to see the local food stalls and enjoy the night life.

Unique Quality: I used to stay in the Sea View Twin room, and it provided spectacular views of the South China Sea and islands of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. It is a spacious 42 sq.-meter room offering private balcony and two twin beds with plush duvet covers. Soothing decor decorated with local artwork and handicrafts complements the deluxe amenities, including marble bath, coffee and tea service, writing desk and broadband Internet access.

Directions: Jalan Datuk Salleh Sulong, 88991 Kota Kinabalu,

• ntm2322's Profile Photo

A nice place to stay in KK

I would recommend this hotel because is well located and the service is superb and very professional. I asked for a room facing the sea and I had the chance to take magnificent photos, especially at sunset.

Unique Quality: I liked the swimming pool, it is a very quite place where you can relax, look at the sea and feel that you are having really holidays.

Right in front of the hotel you can have a drink and still admire the South China Sea.

If you like Malaysian, Chinese or Indian food you can find all of them next to the hotel. And if you can not live without KFC there is one right in the corner.

For those who hate sweating when you leave the hotel's main door just walk a few steps and you enter one of KK's best shopping centers.

Directions: Close to Jalan Gaya (Gaya Street). Every Sunday morning (only in the morning) there is a market all long the way (Gaya Street), don't miss it and try to go there early morning.
    You can try and eat so many local delicacies. Just wonderful.

• stanleykuan's Profile Photo

Short Stay at Hyatt, Kota Kinabalu (KK)

I stayed there for a night during my short trip to KK last July 06. Not a please experience! I had a late check it at around 9pm. I booked King size bed rooms, and the receptionist told me all fully taken. What for is my booking then? Instead, they offered me twin beds room. No choice, i have to take it.

Came to the room and it can't give me a feel that it is "star" rated hotel. Things are old, eg furniture, cabinet, etc. This reminded me on the high price that i paid, RM3xx per night. Not worth it.

Location wise, it is good. We walked to Jesselton point (departure point to marine park) and it takes only 8 minutes. Furthermore, it is very near to Sunday market (5 mins walk).

Directions: Take a cab from airport, cost RM20.

• syetan's Profile Photo

First 5 star hotel in KK

Opened in the late 1970s by the then education minister and subsequent dictator of Malaysia - Mahathir Mohammad (ok, so I'm no fan of the man...) Hyatt Hotel enjoys a very good location indeed, and is the hotel of choice of many airlines. Rooms are as you expect of a class establishment but it's more 'business' than 'tourist' in its lookout. Plans were made to expand it but if you ever go there, you'll see why it's impossible unless they build underground or add more floors above.

Location-wise, it's right next to Wisma Merdeka, and overlooks Gaya Island. The ferry is a short stroll away and the famous (must be seen spot) Shenanigans pub located by the side of the hotel actually belongs to Hyatt itself.

Directions: Next to Wisma Merdeka

• greenmonster's Profile Photo

good value

This hotel is a good choice as it has all the usual 4-star hotel amenities and a great location (seaside but no private beach, downtown KK) for a lower price than other popular KK hotels (i.e. Pacific Sutera, Shangri-La). However, the hotel pool is much smaller than Pacific Sutera or Shangri-La. Because the hotel pool is adjacent to a major road, lounging by the pool for a nap or reading wasn't that nice. Also, if you want to take a boat to the nearby islands, you'll need to walk 15 minutes to the local pier or take a taxi to Pacific Sutera (RM 10) or Shangri-La (RM 15) to use the jetties there. Other than that, the hotel is a great value. OK breakfast buffet with many Malay/Chinese choices but not so much western choices.

Unique Quality: Conveniently located next to a big shopping complex. Wednesday night is Malay buffet night (RM 49).

Directions: next to Wisma Merdeka, a fairly large shopping complex in downtown KK; 10 minute walk from Centre Point, the biggest shopping complex (?) in downtown KK; RM 20 for taxi to/from KK airport

• KK's best value

We stayed on a concierge floor which is one of the top two floors. We booked direct with the hotel via the internet since it is not available to booking agents or travel agents.
    We had great sea views, but the best part is the free breakfast and "drinkies" between 5 and 7 p.m.
    For US $70 a night, about US $10 more than a run of the house I think it's a steal.
    The staff are attentive and friendly, and the hotel is within easy walking distance of shopping malls, restaurants and the main market.
    We had one night at the Sutera, which is beautiful, but for convenience the Hyatt is hard to beat.

Unique Quality: Convenient to everything in KK, helpful staff throughout.

Directions: On waterfront, near the main market.

More about Hyatt Kinabalu

Your experience of the Hyatt Kota Kinabalu

by Karen-Estelle

Hi,

A couple of years ago we visited Kota Kinabalu and stayed at the Magellan in a Club room. We have been considering staying there again as it is indeed a very beautiful hotel and we were especially happy with the very large room which came with the Magellan Sutera Club room. We are again travelling to Kota Kinabalu early September and I was looking at the Hyatt and wondering how the rooms there compare with the Magellan. We won't be using the swimming pool nor have much time for the resort activities and my main reason for Hyatt is the closer location even though one can catch the shuttle bus. I'd possibly be looking at a Club room so your experience staying in this hotel would be greatly appreciated.

by rmdw

I've actually stayed in KK, for 3 weeks actually. But I was at the home of a family friend. so I can't help you on the hotel advice front.

But I'll be curious to see if anyone else on here knows much about this community.

Robert

by Deng249

Hyatt is an older hotel compared to Magellan.

Check out Le Meridien. It's quite new, and in the centre of the city. It's across the handicraft market.

by Queenstowner1

I have not stayed at the Hyatt but I have stayed in a penthouse just down the road in Marina Court resort from the Hyatt 5 bedrooms very large all for about the same price as a hotel. Very large great sea views computer with internet own bar full kitchen.
check out the web page www.penthousekk.com far better than a hotel.

Comments