Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort

See Amenities
brianhsmart's Profile Photo

The Best hotel in KK

by written on April 2, 2012

The Tanjung Aru Shangri-La is the most exquisite place to stay. The staff are helpful, kind and generous; if you have a few words of Bahasa Melayu they fall over themselves to give you more to learn. The ceremony of the torches at sunset is a delight and the ladies can melt your heart with the briefest of looks. I am going home for the 5th time under the smoky mountain, the forest behind me, the drummers playing in the distance and with my eyes on the sea. It beats the socks off The Raffles in Singapore and The Peninsula in Hong Kong. Got my ticket, I'm on way to my Lost Horizon. Hope you can make it one day.

Unique Quality: The pools are lovely, activities are wonderful, the manager is a wicked man, he comes from Carnoustie and the pitch and putt course can break your heart. Off-shore is an island called Siapa with a sign that says take ony photographs, leave only foot-prints.

Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort ~ Dissapointed

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2009

I was totally dissapointed with the beach side, this is because it looks totally different from the photo showed by Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort website. The photo looks so good as the water is so clean with a nice bay across the beach side, however this is not true because the water is so dirty and the bay is covered by the sea. Therefore, snorkeling is impossible at the beach. There are a lot of jelly fish at the so-called private beach too, that's why u will find a notice board to cautioned guests of applying vineger when struck by jelly fish.

They also have Tanjung Garden for you to have yoga and fish feeding activities, however the fish pond looks dirty as well. I guess this is the reason not many people will hang around that area.... as u will find most of the guests at the swimming pool and hotel lobby....

Unique Quality: The only great things abt Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort is their gym/spa facilities and the dinner buffet which cost u about RM100 per person which I find one of the most expensive in Sabah.

Sunnysuzi's Profile Photo

Wonderful place to stay

by written on January 11, 2008

As I used to live in a bungalow on Tanjung Aru beach it was appropriate to stay in this wonderful hotel that did not exist when I lived there. My stay was fabulous, the location idyllic, the staff very helpful and friendly and excellent value for money. A honeymoon paradise.
Not my fault I had to later divorce my husband!

Unique Quality: Lovely bedroom with sea view and balcony, fully airconditioned. The pool areas are also excellent, ideal for serious swimmers or just a gentle paddle

Directions: About 2 miles from the airport. At the end of the airport road turn left and follow the beach road to the end.

longsanborn's Profile Photo

Epitome of Shangri-La's best

by written on March 15, 2007

The beautiful Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort is the epitome of Shangri-La's best. The hotel resort has a beautiful private beach and it is close to the smaller islands located within its bay. I truly enjoyed my stay there and I felt I was living in luxurious pampered retreat. I was there for 3 days/2 nights stay.

During the day, I took the boat for a short ride to the nearby islands, for a picnic, snorkeling and just lazing in the sun or under the shady palm trees. The waters in the bay was blue-green and so clear you can see the bottom of the sea bed. In the evenings, I drove my hired car to the city centre and enjoyed the local food and night scenes. When I returned, I could still have a drink by the hotel bar and enjoyed the night breeze. The buffet breakfast was great and the huge varied selections were so much that I didn't have to eat lunch.

I would highly recommend my friends to stay here for a truly romantic and luxurious pampering weekend.

Unique Quality: This magnificent seaside resort boasts of 495 charming rooms and suites, equipped with modern facilities. Eight outstanding restaurants and bars pamper guests while recreational activities provide endless fun for family and friends.

BerntTravel's Profile Photo

1st CLASS RESORT HOTEL

by written on October 22, 2006

We stayed here for 3 days. This is a 5 star resort hotel and its beautiful. Nice room with big balcony. Big nice swimmingpools but a bad beach. A 1 class resort

Unique Quality: Many outdoors restaurants and swimmig pools. Hotel have private speed boats who take you to the small islands outside city / hotel.
This hotel got everything, but the only problem is that you wount see the Malaysian people - only tourists. The roomprice is a little high - and you pay x-tra if you want to go out to the islands with boat. The little home made beach at hotel is NOT what you dream about when you book your Malaysian vacation. Most of the hotel guest stayed at the hotel property all day. The hotel also offer a chuttle bus who take you to city of Kota Kinabalu for some $ :

geezo's Profile Photo

5 star service

by written on October 11, 2006

The service at this Hotel was first Class, We stay in the Tanjung Wing and upgraded to the Horizon Club which I would recommend it was worth the extra money.
The rooms were spacious and the bathroom was beautiful, bedlinen was changed everyday
plenty of sunbeds round the pool.

Unique Quality: Views over the South China sea to the neighbouring Islands were beautiful.

Directions: Taxi ride to centre of town 15rm

Lyda1973's Profile Photo

SPECTACULAR!!!

by written on October 10, 2006

We had a playpen and pool view room. Large room, nice bed, comfortable and clean bathroom with tub, a small balcony with 2 chairs and a table, the aircond worked well, and the staff was just ok. RM621 p/night.
The gardens are gorgeous, two pools, four tennis courts, water sport facilities, marina yatch, a wonderful gym and the restaurants are fantastic, we tried Coco-Joe's, next to the pool, wraps, sandwiches, steaks, etc and the other where had breakfast was Tatu Cafe where had as well a dinner buffet, excellent in quality and quantity.
Don’t miss the sunset, they have a bar as a spot to see it. We arrived around 5:30 p.m. and took a couple of drinks (happy hour) until 7:00 p.m., was one of the most beautiful sunset I’ve ever seen.
10 minutes to the city in their shuttle bus every hour from 8:100 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., it goes from the resort to Wawasan Plaza, then Centre Point (the best shopping mall in the city) and Wisma Merdeka. It cost RM4 per person return.
Also have the shuttle to the other Shangri-La's at 7:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. and cost RM30 per adult return RM15 child.

WStat's Profile Photo

recreation up to your breakdown !

by written on September 3, 2006

The Tanjung Aru resort, located on a small peninsula opposite the city of Kota Kinabalu, offers so much opportunities for recreation, that you might experience total exhaustion after a few days, if you tried out all of them:from Parasailing to Petanque, from scuba-diving and snorkeling to Golf, Tennis and windsurfing to waterskiing and swimming , everything is on offer for the restless. If you prefer just to relax, a short boat-ride to one of the 5 coral-islands opposite the hotelbeach will take you to a paradiselike secludedness.
Eight outstanding restaurants and bars cater for nearly everything, while local attractions, city centre and the international airport are only a 10 minutes drive away from this surprisingly tranquil resort.
There are two room-wings - the well refurbished Tanjung and the new Kinabalu wing,the former offering better views.

Unique Quality: Excellent location, food and services on Shangri-La standards; very good (comparably cheap) seafood- restaurants only a 10 minutes walk away

Directions: Tanjung Aru Beach

syetan's Profile Photo

the place to be..

by written on August 6, 2006

My favourite hotel-it has everything: facilities, location, views...
A 5 star resort pretty much in the city itself, it is near the airport and just off the main Tanjung Aru beach. The views are brilliant, the facilities very good indeed, and you can easily catch a cab to the city. Within walking distance is a hawkers area where you can eat and save heaps compared to eating at the hotel itself. Bluenote is a famous pub located within the hotel. They also have their own jetty to take travellers to the 5 islands off the coast though it'll be cheaper to go from Jesselton Point.

Unique Quality: the lot really

Directions: Tanjung Aru beach

Luxury!

by written on May 5, 2006

A beautiful & luxorious hotel with great service. Room at the Tanjung Wing is spacious & superbly decorated. If you are looking for a nice beach hotel, this is not the hotel as its beach is v small. Choose nexus karambunai instead - the beach is superb!

Unique Quality: The Kid's Club facilities is just superb - spacious, clean, good collection of toys and books and also internet access!

A bit of Luxury on Sabah

by written on February 22, 2006

We spent 4 nights here on our honeymoon.
Fantastic facilities and the upgrade to the Horizon package (breakfast and dinner included) was well worth it - there was so much delicious food that we never needed to buy anything else.

My only gripe with Tanjung Aru is that it you're relatively young - 20s / 30s, it's just a bit dry. You could be anywhere in the world. I also stayed in KK (Kota Kinabalu) and while the accomodation wasn't nearly as nice, it's a real shame to miss out on what KK has to offer............. the local food especially Roti Chanai which is to die for - forget the fancy food - Roti Chanai is unique to Malaysia and is a delicious cheap snack or dinner! Also Kompleks Sedco where you can choose your fish dinner by just going and pointing at them and telling them how you want it cooked.

So, Tanjung Aru, lovely resort but just a bit stale - don't go to Sabah and miss out on Sabah!

Oh yes, and compared to other places, it's extortionate (in local terms). However, maybe it isn't as expensive if you book it from abroad...........we got a great deal by getting a corporate rate from a local business.

Unique Quality: Food was excellent - quite a lot to do.........wakeboarding, badminton, choice of restaurants

Swwaattcchh's Profile Photo

Great Facilities, Warm and Friendly Staff!

by written on October 19, 2005

We explored the resort and walking along the coastline into the sea breeze was such a luxury. We stood in the strong winds for a while and just let it blow right into us. Whhhoo~!
Golf was only RM3 for an hr of pitch & putt. Way….cheap! I never played golf in my life before so it was quite hilarious that I whipped the air for the first few shots. But once I got the hang of hitting the ball, my oh my, it was fun! We would have played much longer if not for the sudden rain that came pouring down.

Then, someone from the recreation center suggested that we try the lounge where they are having some indoor games. The staff was especially friendly and warm.
We started playing with carom, and then learned a new traditional Malay game called Tongkat (I think) and then decided to play Jenga on a glass tabletop. While we were laughing our heads off, the resident manager, Andrew, came by.

For a moment, I thought that we were going to get scolded for making too much noise, but No…he actually wanted to join in the fun!

Unique Quality: The room was great. Neat and comfy and definitely up to a 5 star standard.
There's a balcony for every room with wood chairs or benches which you can chill out in. From my room, we had also a view of the greens as well as the sea.

My friend was sick after the mountain climb and we had to ask for a doctor at 2am in the morning. The doctor arrived within the hour and the staff was extremely helpful. Of course, all that came at a price, definitely not cheap.

Tanjung Aru the Best

by written on April 12, 2005

This was our first trio to Sabah and we couldn't havew asked for a better time . We arrived back home yesterday and all we want to do is go back. The services at the hotel were amazing they have the Tours place their that organise all yours tours for you and the staff are just amazing they wetre always so friendly to us everytime you walked past them thye were always willing to greet you with a good morning or afternoon and a smile. These sort of things i know brightened our trip. The pool facilities were great and it caterred for all age groups.They had many great activities running from early in the morning to latein the afternoon and these also catered for all age groups. There were many restaurants to choose from that gave you 100% service. One place there that we found fantastic and relali made our holiday was beach bums the watersports place. They were brilliant and were a real funny bunch of people. They were supportive to be able to get you out their to give everything a try and you knew that you were in safe hands. I was worried to do some of the things but with these people i was more than excited to do everything and im so glad i did because i LOVED it. I recommend using Beach bums to do your water sports and the ferrys to get you to the other islands.

Janelle

Unique Quality: The views looked out oneside to the more greeny and hilly side ofhte Kota Kinabalu and the other side of the hotel had views of the water that looked over to the island that were only 10 minutes away .

smiffy11family's Profile Photo

Conveniant location for 5* resort

by written on March 28, 2005

Definately recommend this hotel, meals expensive compared to outside but not compared to uk,
eg lasagne, beautifully presented with complimentary bread etc for about
15 pounds for 2 -main course with a bottle of water . In contrast by walking 5-10
minutes down the road to tanjung beach plaza where all the locals eat we got
beautiful seafood chinese dish 2 pounds for both of us. Roast lamb was approx 2pounds each at this place , we never had any illness or dodgy tums, I particularly
recommend chicken or beef/ lamb satay with peanut sauce --- yum !!!! 4 pounds for 2.
ok now back to the hotel , they charged
4 pounds for a can of local tiger beer and this was 1 pound outside,, or just over 1pound in
the hotel shop. So we could both eat for 2 days for the price of a beer in the
hotel ! Even a burger and fries cost about a fiver, mind
you it left mc donalds standing!!! The horizon club was great, Breakfast was
served there, good choice , varied between, full cooked to pastries
, fruit, cereals etc, there are about 25 seats inside the lounge and say 12 out
on the balcony, this got busy between 6-7 pm cocktail hour with canapes,felt a bit clubby . But served regular cocktails plus virgin varieties, i
can recommend the singapore sling !!! mini pizza,and other bites ,
chinese, japanese and malay bites all very yummy plus nice finger sized cakes.
Yes some
people really dressed up and although i had taken strappy stuff this
was serious glitz so i felt a trifle underdressed, however others were
just casual, i really think it depends on the type of guest, we did not try brekkie in room, as we are early
risers and horizon served from 7am this suited us, of course you could
dine in main restaurent at a cost. Fresh fruit in room daily as are 2
bottles of water. Papers delivered to room and flight reconfirmation
done by horizon purser. internet available but only 1 computer so
sometimes have to wait. So good we have booked again for september !

Unique Quality: conveniant location near airport, and kk, plus easy access to islands for snorkelling. great views of islands. attentive staff. The Horizon lounge is
on the 6 th floor where all the club rooms are and you get special check in here
over drinks and cold towels, all very civilised i must say.

smiffy11family's Profile Photo

Great hotel location,

by written on March 19, 2005

good 5 star hotel, 10 minutes from airport and city of KK , with its own jetty , access to islands for snorkelling easy. We stayed in Horizon club which means a dedicated 6th floor club with friendly , helpful staff and a dedicated purser. Breakfast is complimentary , choice plentiful, free soft drinks, tea /coffee available all day and between 6-7 pm cocktails and canapes.I found atmosphere in the club a bit too "clubby" and downright snobbish, but that was other guests and not the staff. This is probably me feeling shy or perhaps being too ordinary. Comfy beds, spotlessly clean rooms,hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities in room ,toiletries freely supplied. Food expensive compared to outside, but good and still inexpensive compared to UK , both ate for approx £12, main meal . Drinks very expensive and I do not get why, bottles of water were a fraction of the price outside and the amount they buy in even if they were double the outside price they could make a fantastic profit but this was plain greedy and the price of beer was extortionate compared to outside . £3.50 a can , we could both eat out for about £2 !!! Some people will argue it's a moslem country and alcohol is expensive" but it is not expensive out of the hotel so I dont get it,not an issue for us but just a mystery. The hotel is roomy ,staff attentive, grounds not large however and our biggest complaint was that it is not a peaceful place, they do helicopter rides right beside pool area and with airport only 10 minutes away silence impossible.This is also a hotel that hosts many conferences leading to a very busy environment- one morning guests were woken up before 7.15 am by dozens of convention members singing and loud speakers in grounds right outside our rooms. This was providing you had managed to sleep through furniture being dragged round in readiness for the presentations in the gardens. Please do not think however that I would not return, I would tomorrow.

Unique Quality: Access to islands, access to KK and airport etc. Horizon facilites great with friendly efficient staff. Rooms lovely and everything you needed them to be.Extra services like free daily newspaper delivered to your room and fresh fruit in room daily were lovely and we celebrated our anniversary and birthdays whilst there and we were given sarongs, lovely cakes and the most fantastic bouquet of orchids. rooms were great , staff efficient and friendly and views of island wonderful. Plus it is very conveniantly situated for travelling to KK and airport plus other destinations not least of which are the islands for snorkelling etc.

Nearby Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Kota Kinabalu Travel Forum

Need advice about Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia? Visit the Travel Forum for Kota Kinabalu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kota Kinabalu hotel reviews

Nexus Resort Karambunai
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 16 Reviews
Gayana Eco Resort
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Promenade Hotel (No 4 Lorong Api Api Api Api Centre Sabah)
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 11 Reviews

Sabah Museum
Have a massage
Sabah Wetlands Centre, KK
Things to Do
Another banana leaf place in KK
Renowned banana leaf in KK
Hungarian food in KK
Mexican and more in KK
Manukan island
Karamunsing Vegetarian Japanese
Restaurants
Veggie option at KK food court
Booking for a tour in Kota Kinabalu
Exploring Sabah on Bike
River rafting
Land / sea transport to Indonesia
Transportation
A fantastic & entertaining local bar, brilliant!
Nightlife