Sepilok Jungle Resort

easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Sleeping Next Door to the Orangutans

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 15, 2011

We arrived here unsure of what to expect as there are some very negative reviews on Lonely Planet ,we were however pleasantly surprised.
We found the staff to be very helpful . As soon as we arrived from the airport they arranged our trip to the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary for that very afternoon . This was great as our time was limited and we had so much we wanted to do.
This lodge is located within walking distance to the Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre. The rooms are clean but basic . We booked a Superior room, which gave us AC and a private bath. Really I wouldn’t expect much more at MyR 130 per night.I think one of the problems with this lodge is in the name which ends in the word “Resort”. This is definitely not a resort nor would I expect it to be at the price.
I loved the atmosphere here. Located within a tropical Borneo rainforest, the whole area is surrounded with the most amazing plants and trees.
We ate all our meals here at the Banana Café. The restaurant can be reached by a wooden walkway that is raised over a lagoon. The meals are simple but good and the beer was cold. The breakfast, which is included was OK – eggs, chicken wieners toast and unlimited tea and coffee.
Here is a word of caution ,however. It is best to change money at the airport before arriving here. We had to ask our driver to drive us into town to find an ATM which was not only a time waster but uncomfortable as we had to line up outside in a rather seedy end of town.

mccrorj's Profile Photo

Not all it's cracked up to be

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 3, 2007

I couldn't decide if it was a motel or hostel but somewhere in between is probably correct. The food is basic, staff friendly and it's cheap. The real draw back is some of the other guests, and I don't mean human!! I spent 2 nights up river sleeping on a mattress on the floor surrounded by all types of unmentionable creep crawlies and never flinched. I did have a problem being down graded to a twin bunk bedded room particularly after a long sweaty journey. I didn't even complain about the basic toilet shower block (both sexes have to muck in) but I drew the line with our nocturnal visitor. I woke up to see the larget rat I have ever seen trying to examine the contents of our bags. Fortunately the shoe I heaved at him was enought to set him scurrying back into the loft area above my head. Not suprisingly the rest of the nights sleep was a bit restless. They are friendly, it is cheap but RATS!!!

Unique Quality: What apart from the rodents. It's close to Sepilog, only a couple of minutes away and you can leave your cases in reception and pick them up after a visit to the Orang Utans.

zrim's Profile Photo

cheap decent lodging

by written on December 3, 2002

You can buy a bed in the dormitory for a couple bucks or splurge and spend about $20 for the nicest room in the place. Cheap and clean, but small rooms and small beds.

The canteen was very pleasant with freshly cooked meals on a pleasant veranda. Nothing fancy but generous portions of decent food.

Unique Quality: Basically, run by a chinese/malaysian family who were all pleasant and accomodating.

Nearby Sepilok Jungle Resort

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Sandakan Travel Forum

Need advice about Sandakan, Malaysia? Visit the Travel Forum for Sandakan and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Sandakan hotel reviews

www.TurtleIslandBorneo.com
Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
Fat Cat cakes or be tempted by Sweet Corn icecream
Things to Do
Sunset walk and dinner on the waterfront
Visiting the water village
Puu Jih Shih Temple
Pasar Umum Sandakan - Sandakan Central Market
Heritage trail
Things to Do
Have a (superfluous) leg wax in Sandarkan!
Turtles exploited by tourists
Bus from Kota Kinabalu
Rainforest Discovery Center
Great Homemade Chocolates
Restaurants
Sandakan Heritage Trail (Walking Tour)
Things to Do
Pulau Selingan (Turtle Island)