Km 22, Labuk Road, PO Box 2082, Sandakan, Sabah, 90723, Malaysia

Agoda.com Travelocity Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Sleeping Next Door to the Orangutans

We arrived here unsure of what to expect as there are some very negative reviews on Lonely Planet ,we were however pleasantly surprised.
    We found the staff to be very helpful . As soon as we arrived from the airport they arranged our trip to the Labuk Bay Proboscis Monkey Sanctuary for that very afternoon . This was great as our time was limited and we had so much we wanted to do.
    This lodge is located within walking distance to the Sepilok Orang-utan Rehabilitation Centre. The rooms are clean but basic . We booked a Superior room, which gave us AC and a private bath. Really I wouldn’t expect much more at MyR 130 per night.I think one of the problems with this lodge is in the name which ends in the word “Resort”. This is definitely not a resort nor would I expect it to be at the price.
    I loved the atmosphere here. Located within a tropical Borneo rainforest, the whole area is surrounded with the most amazing plants and trees.
    We ate all our meals here at the Banana Café. The restaurant can be reached by a wooden walkway that is raised over a lagoon. The meals are simple but good and the beer was cold. The breakfast, which is included was OK – eggs, chicken wieners toast and unlimited tea and coffee.
    Here is a word of caution ,however. It is best to change money at the airport before arriving here. We had to ask our driver to drive us into town to find an ATM which was not only a time waster but uncomfortable as we had to line up outside in a rather seedy end of town.

• mccrorj's Profile Photo

Not all it's cracked up to be

I couldn't decide if it was a motel or hostel but somewhere in between is probably correct. The food is basic, staff friendly and it's cheap. The real draw back is some of the other guests, and I don't mean human!! I spent 2 nights up river sleeping on a mattress on the floor surrounded by all types of unmentionable creep crawlies and never flinched. I did have a problem being down graded to a twin bunk bedded room particularly after a long sweaty journey. I didn't even complain about the basic toilet shower block (both sexes have to muck in) but I drew the line with our nocturnal visitor. I woke up to see the larget rat I have ever seen trying to examine the contents of our bags. Fortunately the shoe I heaved at him was enought to set him scurrying back into the loft area above my head. Not suprisingly the rest of the nights sleep was a bit restless. They are friendly, it is cheap but RATS!!!

Unique Quality: What apart from the rodents. It's close to Sepilog, only a couple of minutes away and you can leave your cases in reception and pick them up after a visit to the Orang Utans.

• zrim's Profile Photo

cheap decent lodging

You can buy a bed in the dormitory for a couple bucks or splurge and spend about $20 for the nicest room in the place. Cheap and clean, but small rooms and small beds.

The canteen was very pleasant with freshly cooked meals on a pleasant veranda. Nothing fancy but generous portions of decent food.

Unique Quality: Basically, run by a chinese/malaysian family who were all pleasant and accomodating.

More about Sepilok Jungle Resort

by shellseeker about Sepilok Jungle Resort

can't remember, but very good value! A very nice possibility to stay right next to the Sepilok Forest Reserve with the Orang Utan Rehab Centre. The owner of the place also organizes good tours to the Kinabatangan River ect. (see my SABAH Part 2 travelogue).

Topical Delight

by hennanights about Sepilok Jungle Resort

Boardwalks link the hotel areas to each other. This made for a relaxing and enjoyable journey every time we went to the office or restaurant. its well maintained gadrens

Paradise

by hennanights about Sepilok Jungle Resort

The highlight of our trip was staying at the Sepilok Jungle resort. It was relaxing, incredibly beautiful, and unforgettable stay. The staff are very friendly and most helpful when it came to booking tours. They run a overnight stay at the Kinabatangan river but unfortunately we run out of time. We did however use them to take a trip out to the Proboscis monkeys and we had a fabulous time. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. We stayed in an executive room but there are several types to choose from, including Dormitory for back packers. Our room had a balcony that over looked the gardens, our own bathroom, air conditioner and television. There is no fridge but you can buy cans of drink at the front office and the restaurant is very cheap. The hotel sits on acres of maintained gardens with a small lake. The entire hotel is connected by boardwalks which lead to the restaurants, accommodation and office. There is a abundance of bird life. We saw finches, kingfishers and the famous horn bill. There are squirrels everywhere and l loved sitting in the garden at twilight too watch there antics. Every morning and evening you can hear gibbons in the distance. We also saw tree snakes, fruit bats, hundreds of butterflies and a large goanna.

Lush natural surroundings

by Fudge about Sepilok Jungle resort

Nice place with ambience!

we personally were not too impressed with service as they mucked up our flight time despite repeated requeests for ride out to airport... Complained to MAnager who happened to be around on the last day...

Food area - we found they were calculative - smthg reosrts shouldn't be to attract visitors again.

We wouldn't necessarily recommend this... but if you like the nature and lots of space around, this could be it. We loved the pond area - there were many nooks to sit in a quiet place to read.

Great location

by kyoub about Sepilok Jungle Resort

We had chosen the upgraded room and it was a nice size room with nice bathroom.
There was also a balcony that over looked the grounds.
The power went out when we first arrived and it was hot and steamy inside and out.
The beds were terrible, like sleeping on a soft piece of foam.
I don't know if I would stay there again. This resort is located in an excellent location. It is a 5 minute walk from the rehab center.
A short drive from the airport in Sandakan. The grounds on the river are beautiful.

Up close to an orangatan

by hennanights about Sepilok Jungle Resort

The Jungle resort is just a stones throw from the Orangutan sanctuary. We stayed here a few days because we heard that some people on day trips never get to see the orangutans. We figured we would go everyday till we got to see them. Luckily for us we saw lots! Spending time at the resort proved to be wonderful and I would go back again in a minute. The resort is very relaxing and it was great to just sit soaking up the atmosphere. Although the resort is out of the town its only about an hour to Sandakan and about 2 hours to the Proboscis monkeys sanctuary. The hotel has its own driver so you can organize it when your there.

The Word Is...Rustic!

by TripAdvisor Member Dylan15046

Another reviewer wrote something like "I didn't come to Borneo to be served by crisply uniformed staff..." I completely agree and that is why I chose this place over the posh and pricy Sepilok Nature Resort across the road.

Still, the word 'resort' conjures up strong images in most people's minds, images the hotel's website does not totally dispell. The SJR is more like a lodge, or a camp for adults than what I would consider a resort. And while I loved the private balcony in the executive room, the building looked more like a prisoner of war gulag from a Hogan's Heroes episode.

It's a problem of expectations, I think. If you're staying in one of the $10/night dorm rooms you probably won't be disappointed. If you're staying in one of the $50/night "executive rooms" you just might be. Water drainage is very slow and the bathroom flooded when taking a shower; there were lots of ants in the bathroom.

High maintenance types will not stand this place for one minute. They will need to stay across the street at the Nature Resort and pay three or more times the price for the privilege.

After visiting Sandakan town, which I found truly horrible, I was delighted to return to Sepilok Jungle Resort which we made our base for a relaxing and low impact five days in Borneo. Overall I really liked the SJR and even the Banana Cafe. I didn't mind eating there every night for five nights at all (your options are nil when staying in Sepilok) but the spartan breakfasts could be improved.

So yes, the word is rustic. But this is Borneo, not Waikiki.

Excellent value for money - highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member FrannyG

Excellent value for money - we stayed at the resort part of the grounds, not the B&B. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the food in the Banana Cafe is great. Rooms are no more or less shabby than any other places we stayed in Malaysia, but all considered very comfortable and spacious. If you are looking for a more luxury place the Sepilok Nature resort is just across the road but a lot more expensive.
Conclusion : a place I would recommend to all looking for a decent place to stay for a reasonable amount of money.

sepilok jungle resort

by broomespike

Has anyone stayed recently at the Sepilok Jungle Resort in Sandakan. I like the sound of it because it says it is only 100m from Orang Utan Sanctuary. Can you go to the Sanctuary on your own or only with guide? How long should I plan to visit there? Also Is Sandakan worth spending time in? Is the WW11 memorial's worth seeing and close by?

TKS

by suzyq40

If you can wait for an answer for about 2 weeks I can let you know.. I head off in 3 days to Sabah, and am doing a tour all over the island

by sabahguy

Hi Broomspike,

The Sepilok Jungle Resort is about 300 metres from Sepilok. It is a clean and basic resort. Roomrates go from RM18 in dormitory, Standard Room with aircon RM65 and executive with aircon for RM100.

They have a nice garden, but if they have incentive groups, it can be crowdy.

You can do Sepilok on your own, you do not need a guide. Check with the resort for feeding time.
Tip !!!!! Your ticket (Rm30) is also for the afternoon feeding, so why are you not going twice. In the morning al the tour operators are going. In the afternoon it is much nicer because no crowd at all, the monkeys know that too !!!

Sandakan, is the gateway to wildlife. The city is not that much to see. A City tour is normally done in 3 hours.
But the chinese temple, Agnes Keith house are worth visiting. Also the Memorial Park is interesting. For those who have interest in the war, for others it has totally non interest. (2800 POW lived and worked here, only 6 survived !!!).

From Sandakan you can go to Sukau, but because of the bad road, it is difficult to do by public transport. Better buy a package tour. At the end you pay as much as that you do it organized. In Sukau you can see Proboscis Monkeys, and a lot of bird live. This is a real experience, and the lodges here are very good (also the served food).

If you want more info, just post it, or check out my website www.sabah-borneo.nl

Have a nice holiday in Sabah.

Olaf

by BerniShand

the WWII memorial is very moving and definately worth seeing, agree there isnt much to see / do in Sandakan though

by broomespike

thanks I'll await your opinions on return, happy travels

by suzyq40

I was just there last week, Im sure you can stay there by yourself, but it would be up to you to decide how long you want to stay there. If you want to see lots of Orangutans for a couple of days then It is well worth it. The WWII memorial is just down the road and is definately worth a visit, as is the one closer to KK at Kundasing, all are maintained by the Australian Governement. If you get the chance, head over to Labuan as well (you will only need the day) as the memorial over there is just amazing (Check out my Sabah page)

by suzyq40

Oh I forgot, if you get time to go to Sandakan, dont miss the English Tea house, fantastic food and amazing view over Sandakan harbour

Comments