Federal Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Agoda.com Orbitz.com Asiatravel.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 60% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• A great KL hotel

A magnificient hotel. Friendly staff, comfortable room, wide ranging and interesting menu that included Malaysian, Chinese, Indian and Western cusine, centrally located in the shopping district and close to the Sky-train light rail transport.

Suggestions from a guest -,
    The in-house tailor should be able to cater for female clients.
    The in-house hairdresser should be able to cater for female clients.
    The massage parlor, when a booking has been previously made, should not tell a client to come back later when a similar establishment is available just across the road from the hotel enterance.
    The Conierge, or a replacement, should be at his desk each day and have available tour brochrures on display, not out of sight in the desk. The desk was unattended for two days.
    The two computors available to guests, on the two times I used them, one was out of order. This should not happen.

Having written this, I and my wife had a wonderful stay at your hotel.

Unique Quality: An outstanding feature was the rotating resturant on the 18th floor giving a 360 degree view of the city.

The hi-tea is a item not to be missed.

Directions: In the Golden Triangle

• Good value for this older hotel

We enjoyed our short stay at the Federal hotel and its aura of the past. The hotel is an older one which has been refurbished and the foyer and reception areas are attractive. Our room was basic in decor - large with comfortable twin beds together and the bathroom a good size with shower over the bath.
    The buffet breakfast was excellent with choices to suit all.
    The staff were friendly and helpful and I would choose to stay in this hotel in future.

Unique Quality: The pool area is attractive and a nice view of the lit twin towers at night.

• yoolya's Profile Photo

Decent Hotel

This was our second stay at the Federal Hotel, so obviously it was good enough the first time, to go back. This time we only stayed the one night, inbetween flight/bus, so it was a one night stopover. Since it was nice enough the last time, and cheap... we decided it was the right place to stay for one night. It's in a great location, so only staying the one night meant that we were close enough to walk to all the shopping centres and nightlife.

I was actually REALLY sick when we arrived (after getting food poisoning at a TERRIBLE hotel in Langkawi). The hotel staff were very sympathetic and helpful. They did a run to the pharmacy for us, and got a range of products to help with my sickness. Something I didn't expect from them, so it was a really nice gesture. All in all, we had great service during this stay.

Again though.... the rooms are not anything special, just very basic/standard. But for the cheap price, and the excellent location, it's still great value for money.

• Chuckaziz's Profile Photo

One of Malaysia's Oldest International Hotels

Although I've never stayed here before but from some of my visitors they are quite happy with their stay. The only reason I visited the hotel was for food or a game of bowling, but that was some years back. Nevertheless, the hotel has a reputation to keep. One of the oldest international hotels in the country and was purposely built to accommodate foreign guests attending the ceremony commemorating Malaya's independence on 31 August 1957. In the early days I used to remember the building as one of the most modern in KL with a revolving restaurant on the tower block. I think you should go ahead and make your reservations.

Unique Quality: This area is awake till the small hour of the day.

Directions: Location wise, it is right in the middle of the shopping and entertainment district of KL.

• balisunshine's Profile Photo

VERY Pleased at The Federal Hotel

After being disappointed
    at another hotel around the corner,
    I was so glad to be able to
    move over to the Federal Hotel.

This is a large hotel available
    for corporate groups and tourist groups.
    In KL, there isn’t a large choice of boutique hotels,
    so basically you need to consider the jump
    to 4 and 5 star hotels after the budget hotels.

This hotel is conveniently located
    in the Bukit Bintang area.

You can try checking in directly
    at the reception desk,
    but you will probably find better rates
    and promotions at their web-site.

There are all the perks that
    one would find in one of the
    expensive hotels in a western country
    at a fraction of the price.

This includes,
    mini-bar, cable TV, a phone in the bathroom,
    swimming pool, an iron and board, safe,
    good quality mattresses, clean carpeting,
    all the accessories are provided in the bathroom,
    including a tooth brush, etc. etc.

Also, being a female traveling solo,
    I felt safe within the premises.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

• The Federal MOTEL Kuala Lumpur.

Don't be fooled by the name or the history of this hotel. While the pics and the names sounds like Sheraton quality, the rooms are surely Motel 6 quality. The room we had was about 8'X8' and the window view was of the steps leading up and down the building. The bathroom was kind of scarry. It wasn't dirty per say, but it looked very grungy. The service on the other hand was very good. Anything we needed the hotel staff provided very quickly. This hotel is kinda close to Chinatown. If your goung to see the Petronas Towers (twin towers), your better off paying the extra money and stay at better hotel. The money you save staying in this Federal Motel you will pay back in taxis! Another biggie I almost forgot! I made my reservation for this motel thru Hotels.com and they quoted the price as $250 per night, however when I got to the hotel the charged me $300 per night. Thanks, Hotels.com!

Unique Quality: - 3 very good reasturants in the hotel.
    - Never went inside but I seen it has a Havana Club where they play Salsa music.
    - No wireless internet. If you want internet you'll have to pay and extra $25 ringgits and they'll give you an ethernet cable. If your from the states make sure you ask for a adapter to plug in your laptop when you get the cable.

Directions: Close to Chinatown and TimeSquare. Not Petrona Towers

• jayjay19's Profile Photo

Good Location

Pleasant stay.
    Nice room with view of Twin Towers.
    Laundry service discoloured 2 of my tops.
    Didn't eat in hotel as there was plenty of places nearby to eat.
    I have stayed twice and would stay there again as I liked the location.
    I would not risk useing the laundry service again.

Unique Quality: The best thing was the views if lucky enough to get one of the rooms looking towards the twin towers.

Directions: Situated not far from The Times Square shopping Mall and plenty of other shopping malls.
    All walking distance.

• nomad-aussie's Profile Photo

Filthy

Stayed here in July 2007 with my wife. The room was absolutely disgusting. Toilet had not been cleaned for some time. On and around toilet seat was fecal matter, bath was badly stained and wall tiles had large amount of soap scum. The carpets were badly stained and chewing gum was stuck to two walls.
    Two lights in room were not working and tv had poor reception.
    It was unfortunately a nightmare and we expected more from a so called 4 star establishment.
    Needless to say we didn't hang around.
    Keep well away!

• yoolya's Profile Photo

My thoughts on Federal Hotel

Stayed at Hotel during the Grand Prix season. Booked through asiarooms.com and very surprised to get a hotel in such a great location, at such late notice, especially during such a peak time. Room was standard, with views of a wall. Thinking that the poor room view was due to low availability during such a busy time.

The air-con was too cold and would not turn down. Service man could not fix it, so we had to turn it off, instead of freezing. But everything else in the room was fine.

Nice foyer and friendly, and helpful staff. Revolving restaurant on top floor of hotel, although not the best food, and the waitress wasn't very nice, had to ask to change to different waitress.

Bowling Alley at back of hotel, so good location. Also all the shopping centres close by!!!

Although there were a few things that we were not hapy with, we would still stay there one day if we had to, nothing too terrible about the place, I just personally prefer 5 luxary star hotels! But if went back on a budget, would not hesitate in staying here again, it was nice enough!!!

Directions: On Bukit Bintang.... can't miss it!!!! Big Lion statues out the front!!!

• hanabiwaiwai's Profile Photo

Good Location but Poor Service

The hotel location is good, near many shopping centres, and about 5-10 minutes walk to Time Square. The room is clean, and there is swimming pool in the hotel.

The cleaners are friendly but we encountered a rude staff at the reception counter. We were told to come back after 1 hour upon check-in as the room needed to be cleaned, when we returned after 1 hour, this staff told us that the room was still not cleaned, said that he did not know another staff asked us to come back in 1 hour, and even said, "The room is not clean means not clean." He also did not offer to search another available room until we showed that we were unhappy. Poor customer service.

Our room was at level 12, but it faced the wall. No view at all.

Second visit in June 06 (I didn't want to come back but it was booked by my friend, so no choice). The housekeeping maid took all the used towels without replacement. We called to get the towels and extra pillows, but the person turned up only after 3 calls, and came without pillows! He promised to bring later, but did not return at all.

Super poor service!!

• sweetie_inc's Profile Photo

3 star hotel .. so-so only..

The place remind me of a budget hotel...

Small and crampy....

But there's a bath tub...

I would say it's just so-so... Nothing great in particular....

I got the standard room and there's no view..... Just a wall when i open the curtain.... but what the heck....

• Friendly, clean Hotel

We arrived early thursday morning instead of waiting till check in time we had booked the night before so we could go straight to our room, this turned out to be a good idea, because we travelled all night from Brisbane and everyone was tired.
    We found the staff very helpful and a delight to talk too. No problems with getting extra towels and laundry was always back by lunch time if it was picked up by 9.00am.
    We had a deluxe poolview room, which was very large and a nice view of pool and time square. The room was very clean, a/conditioned- which was heaven after shopping and touring around all day.
    The hotel is in a great location shops nice and close - Low Yat (computers and phones galore),BB Plaza, Sungei Wang, Time Square, Lot 10. Taxis are out at the front of Hotel all the time to take you anywhere.
    Meals - revolving rest. and room service all very nice and fresh. The only thing I've got negative to say is about the breakfast, after a few days I got sick of the same thing, it was buffet and it didn't rotate much, same old, same old.
    Other than that, this is a great hotel, nice, close to shops good swimming pool to keep kids happy and clean.

• Bukit Bintang

Although this hotel is 4 stars,the rooms seem to be from a 5 stars hotel.Nice room with and well equipped.Revolving restaurant at 18th floor.Rooms are quite large.

Unique Quality: Good facilities,location and near to Berjaya Times Square.

Directions: Opposite Berjaya Times Square.

• Noisy at Bintang

We arrived new years day 2005 and checked out in the middle of the night. Impossible to get any sleep. There were very loud karaoke singing and it got louder and louder as the night proceeded. We checked out at midnight, the receptionist was very helpful though. We went straigt to Shangri-La witch it felt like once in bed. Anyway, a pitty, because the Federal is really well located between all the shopping malls.

Unique Quality: A friend of ours recomended this hotel, good location, decent hotel at a smaller cost. We had a poor experience from this hotel. Very understaffed. The staff worked really hard to maintain a very poor service standard. People was quing up in front of the reception. We got one of the larger rooms at the hotel and asked the maid for an extra towel for our child, she gave us one very reluctantly. Bad service. We did not see the poolarea. We got a poor impression of the onsight restaurants. I don´t want to be mean but we really did get a very poor impression of this hotel. We do not recommend this hotel to anyone. We recomend you to pay 30-50 usd more and go to Shangri-La or Marriot up the street.

• samraj's Profile Photo

Best Hotel for Shopping Trips!

On my return journey from OZ, I wanted to stay near the Shopping malls as I didn't want to waste time travelling. This is perfectly located with right in the mad shopping area with atleast 6 massive shopping complexes. The hotel is itself attached to the 2 shopping complexes!!
    Highly recommended if you are on short - shop till you drop trips!
    Hotel accomodation is 4 star & quite acceptable, although the bathrooms can be better!

Unique Quality: Fantastic for Shopping trips, food is great anywhere in KL!

Comments