6 Jalan Conlay, Kuala Lumpur, 50450 , Malaysia

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• gyso's Profile Photo

A Royal Experience

After an 9 hour flight it was a pleasure to be greeted by such friendly staff at the Royal Chulan. We were pleasantly surprised to have our room upgraded fro a normal hotel room in a 5 star to a 1 bedroom apartment with all the modcoms such as self contained kitchen, Huge Bathroom and living room equiped with leather lounge suite. Ideal location in KL and has a number of eateries to choose from in the hotel. Definately will be staying there again and have recommended it to family for their holiday.

Unique Quality: Big Pool and good restaurants to choose from. Only 2 blocks from center of KL

• lukluk_wal_marjan's Profile Photo

Treated like a royal...

Opportunity arrived when my other usual hotels are taken up by others that I end up at this hotel. Newly opened, not even a year yet the design of the hotel is very much influence by the Malay traditional art.

The room is spacious with very nice bathroom that have a sliding window so that u can have a good dip in the bath tub while not missing any good movies on the LCD screen TV.

The king size bed give all the comfort you need. Tea/Coffee making facilities are provided like other 5 stars hotel. The room corporate rate inclusive of one breakfast is roughly less than USD100. An additional breakfast is chargeable at less than USD10 where you can enjoy a good spread of local, western, Chinese & Japanese dishes.

I didnt get the chance to use the swimming pool which is located on the 2nd floor but I did peeped in for a good cursory tour. Very nice soothing environment surrounded by a Bali type landscaping.

The hotel location on Jalan Conlay is within walking distance to the Pavillion shopping Complex and is just at the back of Chulan Square where all the good eateries are!

Unique Quality: On the hotel terrace at the ground floor, there is a small food outlet that offers good 'roti canai' & 'nasi beriyani'. Its open until midnite if I got it right. You can enjoy a good cup if coffee or 'teh'tarik' at very reasonable price. Reasonable means its not the hotel kind of rate!

The wall deco at the lobby reflects the Malaysian art.

Directions: Near to the KL Craft Centre and the Prince hotel.

More about The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur

Royale Chulan KL Review

We were happy with our stay at the Royale Chulan from the start. We arrived very early in the morning and as our room was available we could check-in straight away which was an added bonus. The room layout, size and amenities were more than suitable for a couple with enough space to pack everything away and not have a cluttered feeling. The restaurants we ate at in the hotel were of a high standard and b'fast buffet was pretty standard. The other hotel amenities i.e. pool and gym were also good. Overall would give this hotel a 9/10 and is suitable for either personal or business travel (they can also cater for business functions and private occaisions such as weddings).

nice, new hotel - a star below Traders, Mandarin Oriental, Hilton (and below what it advertises)

by TripAdvisor Member GerardN

Stayed at new Royale Chulan Hotel in KL. The location near the Pavilion shopping complex and close to KLCC is very convenient. Reception gave me a club floor room which was very nicely appointed but lacked a few details that would make this a 5 star property, eg -
- no fruit or any other way to make the traveler feel welcome on arrival
- no bath robes (one was provided after repeated requests)
- some of the room fittings look cheap and the wall paper is showing large bubbles - not great for a property that has not even be opened for a year
- the club lounge is very sterile and quite uninviting (although the service by staff is great)
- signs to find various facilities are either non-existing or hard to see
- basic AV facilities, just a LCD TV which would have all the connections for PC except it has not been enabled for laptop connection, etc.
- no alarm clock

In addition, the air conditioning in my room was not working properly. I didn't report this until check-out as this is the 'cooler' season in KL and I was happy to be without the a/c on. The room has a balcony and doors that open - very nice!

On the positive side, the breakfast was fantastic with buffets for all types of food ... Malaysian, western, Japanese, Chinese and more. Very friendly service.

I booked the hotel because all top properties were booked out for was fashion week. The price was the same as for the other properties. Given the choice, I would go back to the Traders, the Mandarin Oriental, the Hilton, or even the Maya which advertises as a 4+ star property.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DeanMelb0urne

A lovely new hotel in a good spot in KL. I don't recall ever being welcomed at a hotel reception without introducing myself. The last time I looked I wasn't an A-List celebrity. Maybe our reservation was the only booking that day, I don't know. It did seem we had the hotel to ourselves, it was superb. I guess this is one of the benefits of staying in a relatively new hotel. From reception we were escorted up to our room and on the way were told we had a room upgrade, do things get any better I wondered.

The room was lovely, it had a balcony with a view of the pool but not of the Petronas Towers (not that we had booked or requested a view of the Towers). I was travelling with my wife and two young children. The room only had 1 king size bed, so we had to organise an extra child's bed to be wheeled in. There was a charge for this which I would have been happier to know about at the time of booking. I used the hotels website to do the booking and the website doesn't do the hotel any favours in my opinion.

The pool was lovely which we had pretty much to ourselves whenever we used it, it was overlooked by a couple of Office blocks but I thought that was cool, me swimming whilst others were working - very satisfying. Buffet breakfasts were also impressive, I couldn't think of anything lacking at all. We chose to eat out of the hotel for lunch and dinner at the Pavilion Shopping Mall, located next to the hotel. The Mall too is new and is a shoppers haven. The family walked to the Petronas towers (to walk off the big breakfast). I would estimate this was a twenty minute walk from the hotel although we probably didn't walk directly, choosing to use the Towers and not a map as a reference.

Three days weren't enough and I would have no hesitation in returning to the Royale Chulan upon my next visit to KL. To all the staff at the Royale Chulan thanks for a lovely stay.

Hospitality at its ROYALE best

by TripAdvisor Member Schonefeld

Hi,

I begin with the simple fact that I stumbled during my stay in the hotel into Raja Perlis, Maria Sharapova and Anna Kurnikova. WOW - this rare encounter speaks loud! Why wouldn`t we, mere mortals, stay in the same place?
The property is exceptional and unique, minding the fact that hotel competition in KL is very high and standards of hospitality are mountain high too.
I stayed in Club level room - definitely and sinccerely recommend! Worth EVERY extra penny. Refreshments throughout the day, drinks, calm atmosphere of Club Lounge together with attentive service and free internet is ABSOLUTE bargain. Don`t miss it.

OK to the review now.....
1/ Room. Club level rooms are bigger than deluxe and superior, located on 5-12 floor. My room does not have a direct view to Petronas Towers, but Menara KL was frivolously blinking with blue flashes right in front of my window.
Very nice wooden floor with carpet section enclustered around the beds. All furniture is styled with traditional Malay touch. The ROYALE white leather armchair with matching leather bedrest is absolutely stunning and feels like a throne. Beds are comfy at the highest degree of this word. In club rooms internet is complimentary, but LAN cable is not provided (I am sure the staff will immediately see to it if you ask, I just had my own).
2/ Bathroom. A different chapter in itself.... very spacious... amenities (aside from usual and expected shampoo, conditioner, body lotion etc) include bath salt, natural sponge, plushy sleepers, bathrobes and assortment of towels that you can not use ALL during the day. Bathtub has a sliding window if you fancy to watch TV while bathing, shower is in the separate cubicle. In a very modest way the toilet is enclosed into another separate cubicle with non-transparent door.
3/ Food. As a club guest I was offered to have breakfast in Club Lounge or in Warisan Cafe (ground level). The choice in Warisan is far wider - they`ve got Malay, Indian, Western, Japanese, Arab corners together with usual cereal/ nuts/ dry fruit counter, pastry choice, 7 choice of fresh juices etc and etc. If I am going to be very picky I would point out that they definitely lack homemade yogurt, only danone cups that you can buy in every 7/11 across the road. But this is SO minor detail in comparison with the lavish breakfast spread they offer to the guests........ The brekky in the club lounge is quite , more exclusive and intimate. If you seek morning quiet (Warisan can be stormed by the menace of touristy world - groups from Mainland China) go to the 5th floor and be attended by the most professional club staff I`ve ever seen.
Lots of thanks and tremendous gratitude for all Club Lounge staff members, you made my stay a very special one.
4/ Room service. Club rooms are attended twice a day - morning: cleaning, making bed, collecting laundry, replenishing used toiletries. In the evening they bring ice bucket, prepare beds for sleep (remove decor covers and pillows) and provide water and glasses at the bed stand. Very nice and even touching care.....
5/ Swimming pool. Good size, deep, very comfortable sun chairs and very few guests to encounter. Every morning I saw pool attendant with a bunch of ORCHIDS pinning petals to each pool towel............... I am speechless. Jacuzzi is actually a joke, but I don`t care - I still love the pool area and enjoyed myself over there.
6/ Lobby and overall decorum. Very pompous and grand yet very nicely proportioned. They got everything - a marble stairs, high ceilings, billion blink chandeliers and lamps... Did I mention indoor waterfall? They have it too. Lucky hotel. hm?
7/ Staff. The way I actually like - very professional, attentive and polite. From every angle and turn of my head I was greeted with a smile and immaculate service. This shows a proper work from management side and a VERY good training. Nothing less I expect from true 5 star.
8/ Location. Yes, close to shopping (Pavilion and the rest) but a bit far from Monorail, you have to cover some good 10-15 min on foot to get to the transport. Well you can not get it all in one pocket, right, LOL!!!!!!!!!!! On the map the hotel is located between two Mono stops Raja Chulan and Bukit Bintang, it is easier to march to Raja Chulan as it is almost a straight way with no heavy traffic and street lights on your route.
9/ Taxi. The hotel waves ONLY blue executive taxi (corporate agreement, as I seems) which UNQUESTIONABLY work on meter but more expensive though..... But at least you are spared from useless negotiations with the taxi drivers and inevitable cheats from them too.
10/ Rereading my review I understand that my words actually fail to carry on my fascination with this hotel and I lack the spark to portray its true identity and tranquil charm. From every angle this is the place I would like to return ( and I will one day), the place where I feel safe, comfortable and very welcome. I wish to every TA member who is going to book the Royale Chulan to feel the same.
11/ As usual I`ll be happy to answer your question if you have any.

Schonefeld

Disney-esque Malaysian Enchanted Castle - Don't Hesitate

by TripAdvisor Member LouisCypher

5 star extravaganza at 3 star price. Great location. Superb staff. Ginormous rooms. Club Floor privileges are the way to go - snacks, drinks , Happy Hour (which provides free drinks for one and a half hours! - very Australian!). Tame Austrian CEO who could not be more accommodating - THANKS LEO.
And the Breakfast Buffet, and the French Restaurant with the imported celebrity Chef , and the giant pool , and the Spa
Walt must be turning in his cryo capsule

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member CasaWee

I have booked this hotel based on the good reviews here. The hotel is now about 1 year old so taxi drivers know how to get there, no problem. Location is very good and the building is nicely decorated, very Malaysian. I think over 95% of their clientele is Muslim as I think it's because the hotel is Muslim friendly.

I arrived at the hotel around 2:30, porters were very nice and all with big smiles. But the front desk's a totally different story. None of them smiled at any of the guests, and they didn't even bother to smile back even after I smiled at them. Then the gentleman at the check in desk told me that the room was not ready (and it was 2:30 pm already) so they have "upgraded" me to another room in the apartment tower. "Upgrade", of course I accepted happily. Yet when I got into the room, the room was actually smaller than a standard room, with no decor, but with a washer and kitchen which I don't need. That room, actually, is definitely a downgrade, not an upgrade. So I went back to the front desk asked for a "real hotel room" and all of a sudden, the hotel room was ready. That means, there were vacant hotel rooms, but they just wanted to push customers to the cheaper apartment rooms.

The hotel room was nice, big and nicely decorated. Very big difference from the apartment rooms, so if they tell you that you are being "upgraded" to the apartment room, don't get happy so soon coz this is probably not true.

The next thing is hot water. Malaysia is hot so having a cold water shower is not going to kill anyone. But then, I think most people like to have hot shower and I am one of these people. However, there was no hot water, not even luke warm. So I asked the hotel to fix it on the second day when I left the hotel. At the end of the day I returned to the hotel and still, no hot water. I called again and got the same answer that they will send someone to fix it, but still, no hot water. It turned out that not just my room, but many other rooms had no hot water as well. And I only got hot water on the 4th day, my last day of the trip. This issue here is, if they know there was a hot water problem, they should hv advised us when we checked in, so we wouldn't expect to have hot water. Again, cold water shower in KL is not going to kill anyone. But they never bothered to let us know there was a hot water supply problem which will take days to fix, even after numerous phone calls. They claim to be 5 star, property wise, yes......service wise, far away from it.

Excellent place to stay in KL

by TripAdvisor Member dselvan

Stayed here for 4 days and booked after reading trip advisor reviews and had an excellent deal on asia rooms. Hotel is quite new and is right over the road from pavilion mall and less than 10 mins walk to Bukit Bintang shopping area and petronas towers and about 15 mins to the KL towers and 5 mins walk to the nearest Monorail station of raja chulan.
Rooms are large with flat screen TV, safe, robes etc expected from this type of hotel. Unfortunately no free internet or Wi Fi which is a shame. Large lobby. Friendly staff. Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choices and is buffet style.
Didnt really use the pool or restaurants or bar, so cant comment.
Only problem encountered was some ants in the bedroom and we were immediately changed rooms.
Overall excellent hotel in a excellent location.

Sheer Pleasure

by TripAdvisor Member hopelessman

Booked the hotel on the strength of the reviews on trip advisor, as we were looking for centrally located hotel that would give us the room we needed as we were traveling with our 2yr grandson.

Booked a junior suite, direct with the hotel and got a cracking deal as they were still offering discounted rates due to the newness of the hotel. Normally we would use the Mandarin Oriental but the rooms there are quite small and for sheer value for money this hotel made sense.

What can I say about this hotel that has not already been said, front of house staff are a credit to this hotel, door men welcome everyone with large beaming smiles and helping hands, front desk staff again made you feel very welcome. Yes there are some staff that appear to be new to there roles but I am sure that they will all grow into them in a short time.

Club lounge was quite large, and had all the amenities that you would expect along with a topping of very friendly helpful staff.

Suite was superb larger then we had expected, the request for a cot for the baby had been met (and it was a proper cot unlike the travel cots supplied by some other hotels), very large bedroom, sitting room with separate dining area. Room cleaning was as you would expect form a 5* hotel

Breakfast we chose to eat in the Warisan Cafe rather than the club lounge as this suited us, and I must admit it has one of the best buffet breakfast that I have seen in a long long time.

Our only regret was that we were unable to stay longer.

Our thanks to all the staff for making feel very special during our stay in particular our thanks to Wivien Lee for sorting out a minor problem

Would I recommend this hotel to friends , I already have and will continue to do so we look forward to return as soon as we can

Kuala Lumpur - The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur Hotel

by jfcarli

Wife and I will be in Kuala Lumpur from 22/07 to 27/07. I am somewhat attracted by a hotel bookable through Expedia.com named The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur Hotel.

I checked references with Trip Advisor. They sound marvelous, but somehow I have a gut feeling that quite a few of them have been planted by the hotel itself. Maybe I am wrong. I am tempted, though, by the price and promised facilities.

This is the link of the hotel at Expedia site.

Has anybody used this hotel before? It says it is a 5* hotel in Expedia site. Price seems very good.

Even if not been there before, could someone plese comment re its location?

Thanks a million in advance,

by rizalshah

have not stayed there myself. it's location is good, centrally located. it was supposed to be a showcase for malaysia traditional craft, but have now converted instead to a hotel. it's new.

by kensu

This hotel was being built when we were there last year and looked lovely, so we made a point of going around there last month whilst back in KL after reading all the comments on Trip Advisor. It really is lovely and appears to be very well run. According to the rates advertised it is also offering some good deals so if I were able to go back again any time soon I would definitely make a booking and by the way, I certainly don't work for the hotel. It's location is fine an easy walk to Petronas Towers etc etc and if all esle fails jump on the monorail or take a taxi, they're both quite cheap.
Go for it! suken.

by cgf

you copy & paste then same message on different topics, beside this is inappropriate and it'a advertising, both are forbitten here, you'll be banned soon.

good bye

by jfcarli

Thanks a lot to both rizalshah and kensu. I am pretty much inclined to stay there. As for cqf, I am sorry, but I do not understand your point.

Once again, thanks to everybody for their help.

by cgf

*** There was a message offering guide service which has been reported as spam and deleted so you can't see it. ***

Comments