4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Veligandu Island Resort

veligandu

by expat123 about veligandu island resort

Having satyed at three different islands within the maldives i'v found thtat Veligandu was the best. Although all the islands are small i feel that the smaller ones are far better and more friendly! the best thing about this island it the 45 min sea plane flight from male aiport! sea was fantastic!!

by NatalieDonnan

Veligandu is a top class resort. All the staff are so friendly and become your friends for the duration of your stay. The island itself is facinating, so peaceful but yet again there is great entertainment at night. You will always have something to do here, whether it is a touch of snorkelling/diving, swimming with dolphins/tutrles etc or just relaxing on the sandbank or at the spa.
The accomodation is fantastic, we stayed in the most basic accomodation, the Superior Bungalows but were not disappointed. The rooms are fantastic, the open air bathrooms are an adventure also! If you want to relax, come to Veligandu, there is nothing but ocean ahead of you. The island is small and very quiet during the day, most people stay at their bungalow /watervilla. In the evenings you wonder where all these people have come from when you go into the bar/restaurant because during the day you feel you are the only people on the island. Pure Bliss!

The resorts vary from the $100...

by MrGQ

The resorts vary from the $100 range to the $300+/ night! If you need all the amenities (health club,spa,gym, internet access,full cable TV and soft silk sheets on your bed) then you better off with the $300+ resots! Personally all I want is a hut and scuba diving gear! It is very tempting to sleep on the beach where the white sand is clean, soft and cool at night!

I want to be pamperd and spoiled! Stay at the Hilton.It offers all the amenties you expect plus the view is AMAZING!

Just give me a sleeping bag! Try Veligandu Island!Although I have never been to this particular one myself I know a couple who went there and loved it. Usually you can get a package for less than $800 a week! (not including airfare offf course!) I believe it also includes full board (your meals!)

Basic? I don't think so!

by pauleast about All rooms on Veligandu Island Resort

Three types of accommodation:-
Superior rooms (some detached and some in blocks)
Deluxe rooms (semi detached with connecting doors)
Water villas (detached)
All room had air con, fan, mini bar, CD player and balcony/patio with own sun loungers/chairs.
Some new luxury water villas are open now and we understand these are bvery special with open air bathroom and bigger balconies over the standard water villas
All rooms were of good standard and no bad locations Most rooms have views over the lagoon and are at most only steps from the beach.
We were on the main jetty side of the island (west) and got the sun from late morning right through to sunset.

Absolutely Awesome!!

by TracyLB about Veligandu Island Resort

We stayed in a deluxe bungalow on the west side of the island in number 150..We had a huge deck and were just a few steps away from the ocean..It was awesome..The room was very nice with an open air bathroom and nice wicker furniture, a mini bar and coffee making facilities..

We were booked on a full board basis, so 3 buffet meals a day were included..The food was outstanding..No complaints.

Everyday we sat in the same place and had the same waiter..

Also there is a realy nice spa (Serena Spa) where i had a facial and foot massage... It was just fabulous to be able to wake up and be right on the ocean..The island was so quiet...I must go back!!

Comfortable mid-range resort

by sierralyndon about Dhigufinolhu Resort

Simple hotel with attentive staff, good food. Part of a group of three resort slands. The other two are called the Veligandu Huraa and the Bodu Huraa. They are all interconnected with very long bridges. There is a fourth nameless island that houses all the technical equipment, walter filtration, etc. That way the resort islands are relatively noise free. Dhigufinolhu has lots of vegetation, clean rooms (air-conditioning a bit too powerful though, no mid-way). It was filled with italian tourists when I was there... who didn't really care abt the "no topless bathing" rule. But you could also not participate in the evening social activities. You could also use the facilities of the other island resorts and charge them back to your room. One of few resorts that have a connection to other islands - helps get over claustrophobia. Shallow waters surrounding the island, hence not so good for swimming, but great for people like me who just want to drag the beach chair into the water and do absolutely nothing.

Water Bungalow Bliss

by Gillybob about Kuramathi Blue Lagoon

The water bungalows at Kuramathi Blue Lagoon are a great place to stay - especially if you love to swim.

Blue Lagoon is located at the top end of Kuramathi Tourist Island in the Maldives. Transfer to the island is via speedboat launch (90 minutes) or seaplane (15 minutes - additional cost applies) but it is worth knowing that the speedboat launch departs from the jetty immediately outside the airport arrivals terminal whilst the seaplane departs from another area of Hulhule island (where the main airport is situated) and requires a taxi to that area, the seaplane transfer itself and then another transfer by boat to Kuramathi.

The island itself hosts three resorts : Village, Cottage and Blue Lagoon and yet keeps a feel of intimacy and is certainly not a 'busy' island.

At Kuramathi Blue Lagoon you will find inclusive meals served in the main restaurant but there is also the choice to take meals at Laguna Cafe or Laguna Grill (these are at additional cost but 20% food discount is given where it replaces an inclusive meal). Each resort hosts its own bar and television lounge (no TVs in rooms) and the island has its own spa, water sports centre, medical centre and dive school. Uniquely, the island also has its own Bio Station with Marine Biologist in attendance and available each evening to answer your questions and help you identify the fish that you have spotted during your day's snorkelling. The water bungalows have great views over the lagoon interior of Rasdhoo atoll with views stretching across to Veligandu Resort Island, just visible on the horizon. The water bungalow comprises room with king size bed and sitting area opening onto over-water deck, shower room with direct access to the deck, deck area with steps giving direct access to the sea. So why not start your day with a refreshing swim before stepping directly back into your shower?

veligandu, lovely island

We returned back from veligandu yesterday, after a 1-week stay.
This was our second trip to the Maldives (we went to meeru the first time and loved it there)
We agree with all of the other posts, if you can help it do not fly with monarch, we would not again. The seats were so cramped you can hardly move, you can not see the TVs as they are in stupid positions, I am a vegetarian and even though I pre booked my meal there was a lot of fuss with the crew trying to get me one. I wish they had not bothered, the food was the worse I have ever had, everyone we spoke to agreed with this, the meals were awful!
We arrived at the island after a pleasant sea plane transfer (keep your camera out, loads of opportunity for good photos) to be greeted with cocktail, snack and cold face cloth.
Our first impression of the island was that it is very nice.

Accommodation
We were then shown to our room, we had booked a beach bungalow, we stayed in this room for 2 nights but did actually upgrade to a water villa as the beach bungalow was quite tired looking and quite basic (although it was clean)
The water villas was completely different, it was spot on.
If you can afford to upgrade I would recommend this, it cost us $69 per room per night but this was much cheaper than if we had booked it before we travelled.
We stayed on the sunset side of the island which does have much more of a breeze than the other side.

Food
This is only my personal opinion, I am a vegetarian and there was virtually nothing there for me to eat of an evening, there was plenty of choice if you are not veggie (my husband is not and he ate well, although he did think there was a lot of room for improvement – again, only his personal view) there was always a choice of 2 rice, but there was never a veggie sauce for them, so nearly every night I was eating dry rice!

The staff.
Absolutely no problems at all they can not do enough for you, the bar staff are excellent your glass is never empty as the staff are quick as a flash to get you another. Waiters, again are the same they are very pleasant and enjoy having a little talk with you every mealtime. Room boys again, excellent, nothing is any trouble for anyone.

Snorkelling
Fantastic, there is a house reef. The coral is bleached a bit but do not let this put you off there is still so much to see, we found the snorkelling here much better than on meeru. We saw everything we wanted to see, turtle, sharks, rays, squids, and all kinds of fish.

All inclusive
Whilst we were very happy with our deal!! I would say that unless you are quite a big drinker, full board would be sufficient. We made friends with a lovely couple there, we quite often stayed in the bar after midnight when all-inclusive ends.

The spa
I went for a cucumber wrap ($40) as I burned badly one-day snorkelling, this was fantastic, so refreshing. We also both got a free 10 minute head and shoulder massage with being all-inclusive. This was lovely too.

Weather
Not great, we had about 4 days of storms (really bad ones too) try to avoid June or July, if you are only going for a week at least.

Summary
A lovely island, very small in comparison to meeru. Friendly staff, average food, great snorkelling, think beach bungalows could do with a bit of doing up though.
Would we go back……. I do not think we would, simply because there are so many other islands to visit.

Veligandu - Maldivian paradise

by TripAdvisor Member NicBunny

After quite a tiring journey on Emirates via Dubai we finally arrived at Veligandu about 20 hours after leaving the house. The seaplane is about a 20 minute ride from Male and the views are spectacular. On arrival at the island we were speechless as to how beautiful everything looked.

After a cool drink in the bar we checked into our beach bungalow. We did try to upgrade to a deluxe bungalow and, as previously mentioned by other reviewers, contacted the island two weeks before we arrived. However, we were told that the resort was full and an upgrade would not be possible. That was a little disappointing as we had read reports that the bungalows were very basic (but ultimately our own fault – we should have booked a better room in the first place!). They were quite basic but they were nice enough for us and did just the job. There is a hairdryer in the part-open bathroom, a safe, a CD player, mini bar, a nice comfy queen size bed and a very useful umbrella! The room boy comes twice a day, changes the towels everyday and the sheets every other day and in the evening he always folds the sheets in a fancy design.

On our second day the weather broke and the weather was very poor for 5 days. We were a little worried about travelling to the Maldives in September as it is still the rainy season but we couldn’t believe how much it rained, it was also really windy. As our second week approached we finally saw some blue sky and for the remaining 6 days we had glorious sunshine.

We were on the east side of the island which is nice but does not really get the sun after about 1.00 pm and does not seem to get much of a breeze at all. The sea was also very calm on this side. We spent most of our days sunbathing on the sandbank which most of the time had a really good breeze. Not many people sunbathe in this area as they prefer to sit outside their bungalows but it is really nice here and most of the time you more or less have the whole beach to yourselves. The sea is lovely here, clean and warm, like stepping into a bath.

Snorkelling outside your bungalow is good - you will see lots of fish (there are plenty of baby reef sharks which you can watch for ages swimming up and down while standing in the shallow water). However, we found that the best place to snorkel was the area down the steps near where the seaplane lands. Here you will see hundreds of different brightly coloured fish. We managed to see bigger sharks (about 6 ft in length) which I found a bit scary, giant moray eels, stingrays, and a sea turtle. If you haven’t got any snorkelling gear when you arrive you can buy it at the hotel shop; a mask costs $30. Don’t forget those special “aqua” shoes to swim in (which we bought on the Internet) you will need those to protect yourself from the coral.

The restaurant is lovely and has a sandy floor, in fact, as mentioned by other reviewers, not many people wear shoes in Veli as there is just sand everywhere, bar, reception, restaurant, so ladies, you will not need to pack any stilettos!

We stayed full board. You are allocated a table by a waiter the first time you visit the restaurant and this is where you will sit for the duration of your stay. We had a really nice spot by an open window. The food is buffet style although the chefs do cook some meat/fish on the “action stations”, outside so all this food is nice and fresh. For $8 you can sit outside in the evening, which is really nice sitting right next to the beach/sea under the stars, but be warned it is very dark, the only lighting seems to be the candle on the table so you can’t really see what you are eating! We thought the food was delicious (especially the soups, fish curries and puds), so be prepared to put on a few pounds!

The bar area is nice and the staff are all really friendly and always remember what you drink and your room number. We are not big drinkers and just stuck to the odd cocktail which costs about $9. There is some entertainment in the evening, but we didn’t really bother with it. There is a big notice board area which has information about the Spa and Dive School and where you can put your name down for lots of different trips (a snorkelling safari, night fishing trips, visits to another island). Can’t really comment on this as didn’t go on any trips. There is also a gym but again did not visit this, but it did look like it had all the latest gear when we walked past. The Serena Spa we visited twice; this is worth a visit as it’s very relaxing and is not expensive.

If travelling in the rainy season be prepared for some bad weather which can last a few days (it did in our case anyway). Take plenty of books with you. There are loads of board games in the bar which you can borrow and will pass a few hours while it is raining.

Finally, we understand there is to be some major refurb work next year and Veli will be closed between May and October. I think a lot of resorts in the Maldives are doing away with their water villas (don’t know whether this has anything to do with the Tsunami) and making more luxurious bungalows with Jacuzzis. Hope it doesn’t change too much.

Hope this review helps. Reading other people’s review on Trip Advisor certainly helped us make our decision about going on holiday here. We would love to return to Veli one day, the Maldives are truly paradise.

IN SUMMARY

Good Points:
Great food.
Beautiful sandbank and lovely warm sea.
Nice friendly staff.

No Bad Points, So Not So Good Points:
Towels in room could have been better.
Meal times (1 ½ hours for each could have maybe been a little longer).
Shame it goes dark at 6.30 pm
Having to go home!

Veligandu

by adz

Veligandu Island Resort is one of 2 resorts in Rasdhoo atoll, a small atoll off the northern tip of Ari Atoll. There are 3 other islands in this atoll, one inhabited island and 2 small uninhabited islands where the tourist resorts take their guests for picnics.

Veligandu is favorite resort in the whole resort. It offers excellent service, food and rooms for a reasonable price. Veligandu has been around for nearly 20 years, however as it is constantly updated it does not feel like an old resort. Attached to this travelogue are several pictures of Veligandu.

This is a picture of the island taken from the end of the sand spit.

This picture is off the beach at the end of the sand spit. In the distance you can see 2 small man made islands.

This is a picture of the sand spit from the bar.

This is a picture of the inside of the bar.

This is a picture taken from the deck of a watervilla. Me and some mates were having a drink on the deck before we went to dinner.

This is a picture of the old style water villas. Now that there are actually water villas totally over the water, which means that these villas are now deluxe villas.

This is a picture of the standard villas.

This is a picture of one of the beaches on Veligandu

VeliganduVeligandu

sunset on veligandusunset on veligandu

jetty on Veligandujetty on Veligandu

Beach at VeliganduBeach at Veligandu

veligandu

by hawiandancer

in september anyone going or been recentley,any comments would be appreciated,my first time in Maldives

RE: veligandu

by expat123

hey yes i'v stayed at veligandu and it was amazing!!by far the best island that i'v stayed in the maldives and i'v stayed at 3 of them. When you arrive ask for the sun rise side of the island as the water is calmer and the coral is bette (lots more fish to see this side!) I stayed in room 101 which you enter from the beach and the your verander has steps leading to the sea. If you haven't already booked this delux water villa try to upgrade when you arrive as i found the standard rooms basic and shabby!
Staff are very friendly here and as it'a small island you soon become on first name basis with them.
if you want any more info please feel free to email me or post another question
enjouy you holiday
bex

RE: RE: veligandu

by hawiandancer

thanks for the repy,i have booked a watervilla so hope this will be ok,my wife is a bit concerned about the fruitbats and the rather large crabs.
really looking forward to the holiday.

RE: RE: veligandu

by bluetang

HI , we're also off for Maldives in 16th September to Sun Island!
We're very looking forward to it!!

Veligandu Island

by hurstg01

Hello All

I have chosen to spend my honeymoon at the above resort, flying out mid june coming back early July this year. Can anyone who has been there give me a little insight as to what it is like, what the food was like, (no need to ask about activities, its a honeymoon remember...) and what the bar was like?

Many thanks
Greg

RE: Veligandu Island

by Ali&Steve

I'm going to have to start charging for the search facility!!

Looked like some good stuff there to me.

Steve

RE: RE: Veligandu Island

by hurstg01

Many thanks

Vakarufalhi or Veligandu?!!

by sunflower7

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about these islands? Dont know which one to go for!!! We like 1. Good food. 2. peace and quiet!. 3. snorkelling and 4. Nice rooms!
Thanks for ANY advice! Kathryn x