Agoda.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Reethi Beach Resort

Reethi Beach - an honest account

by TripAdvisor Member Junks

I'm not going to reiterate a lot of the very positive and, for the most part, accurate comments others have made. I think most people know what to expect in the Maldives - white sandy beaches, beautiful scenery, very friendly staff, etc, and this is indeed what you get at Reethi Beach.

It's easy to get carried away with the hyperbole (and I think a lot of the previous reviewers have been!) so what I aim do here is to tell you about the things that slightly disappointed us about the resort. If you can live with these things, then I'm sure you'll have a great holiday! It's worth saying that we really enjoyed our honeymoon on the island, but there were a few things that were annoying or disatisfying, and here they are in no particular order...

1. Beds are very hard. I have a bit of a dodgy back, which is fine most of the time, but after two nights in Reethi it really played up. The resort says the mattresses have a 'soft side', but this doesn't make any difference (have you ever heard such nonsense - a matress with a soft side?). I think they are relying a little on the power of suggestion here!

2. Aircon in rooms is excellent, but quite noisy and positioned right above the bed. Fine with me, but light sleepers be wary particularly as you will need it on all night.

3. It rains in the Maldives! Be prepared for at least a couple of days of cloud and rain every week.

4. Don't bother with the visit to the Baa Atoll capital, Eydafushi. It's interesting but it's a 3 hour round trip on a boat that travels at snail pace and you spend about 30 minutes there, most of which is consumed by the 'tour guide' taking you to visit his pal in the souvenir shop..hmmmm...

5. Food is good in main restaurant, but rather uninspiring. Lots of watery sauces, overcooked pasta, boring, boring. Reminded us of the type of food you get in an old people's home - it was nice to come home and actually chew something!!

6. We went all inclusive, which was fine. Be aware though that you can only eat for 'free' in the main restaurant. The food in the other restaurants is passable, but pricey, and not really worth the bother to be honest. We felt they'd pulled a fast one when we checked out and discovered that there is a 10% 'service charge' on the drinks in the main bar which are included in the all-inclusive package - be aware of this if you're thinking of going AI ! On the other hand the choise of booze in AI was excellent - Gordons, Absolut, Stoli, Johnny Walker, Tiger, San Miguel.

7. We had a standard 'Reethi Villa', which was fine. Needs updating as the decor is rather 'tired'. Biggest disappointment was the beach frontage which is atrocious. Face it, the beaches are one of the main reasons for going to the Maldives and the Reethi Villas have about 2 feet of clear beach at high tide and 4 feet at low tide - I'm not kidding here by the way!

8. Right this is a personal one, but we were really bored after the first week of the two week holiday! Be aware that unless you want to learn to dive (we didn't) there is not a lot to do apart from lie on the very small beach, snorkel and go to the restaurant / bar. Duh!, I hear you cry, what is your problem?? Well, that's what we thought too, but just wanted to let you know that it is possible to get a wee bit bored...!

As I said at the outset of this review, I've aimed to highlight the areas that disappointed us at Reethi. There were many more reasons why we had a great holiday so please don't be put off by the above unless there is anything mentioned which is a major issue for you. If you go, you'll have a great time!

Another little paradise

by Gillybob about Reethi Beach - Water bungalows

A stay in the Maldives is always going to be paradise - unless it all goes horrendously wrong for you, which it hasn't for me!

Reethi Beach is quite a small resort island with three different levels of accommodation. For my visit in May 2009 I stayed in a water bungalow on an all-inclusive package - affordable only because I was going in May, the start of the low season, and taking the risk of the monsoon starting early (which it didn't) which meant they were offering a no single supplement deal. I booked through Kuoni but this resort is available through other operators.

The water bungalows offer solitude at the end of the island - which also means they offer quite a walk to the main restaurant for meals - so you can work off some of those great meals. Each pair of water bungalows has a ladder to each side to access the sea for those early morning swims. The sunset bar is located at the access walkway to the water bungalows, giving great sunset views and a good place to have a last couple of drinks on your way back to your bungalow; as always, it offers bottles of water, fruit juices, cocktails and beers.

The island has a number of water sport facilities, including its own pool, guided snorkelling, windsurfing, water skiing, etc. There is also a small sports centre with a tennis court and gym.

A number of tours are offered from the island with all-inclusive guests getting a free half day tour included in their package.

Included meals are served in the main restaurant which has great views out to the dhoni dock.

The reef is highly accessible from a number of beaches - I took my own snorkelling gear and was out 2 - 3 times daily and saw plenty of marine life. Reethi Beach is one of the further resorts in the Maldives archipelago, which means transfer is by seaplane. Seaplane transfer offers a great opportunity to fly over many of the resort islands of the Maldives, depending on your transfer, you may find yourself flying via other resorts either on your outbound or return journey - a great opportunity to see what else is on offer in the Maldives.

Wonderful Water Bungalows

by LadyKathrynBurder about Reethi Beach

Fortunately I made a mistake when booking this resort! I should have been in South Ari Atoll but for some reason I ended up in North Male Atoll. When I arrived, a young german guest relations lady took me to my water bungalow. I had previously stayed at Whitesands, Villemendo and even the Hilton, but this was so gorgeous. I had a lovely afternoon on the beach followed by dinner in the restaurant ( not so good!). Stuck for something to do, I watched the crab racing in the bar then I met a young man to chat to. Holidaying alone can be tiresome sometimes. He worked in the watersports and we found common ground with my love of catamaran sailing. Spent a wonderful time together. The 5.30am wake up call was a bit of a shock, but breakfast at the 24 hour coffee shop was a nice touch. I returned to Male with the same crew from the previous day, where I had a 3 hour wait before my transfer to Vilu Reef in the South. The staff at Trans Maldivian air transport were as courteous as usual. I should be getting frequent flyer points, but I suppose personal service is good enough. On to Vilu Reef, for a much simplar room, but half the price, some wonderful food and excellent sailing curtesy of Samah with his usual charm!!! I had a wonderful time and will be returning March 8th. Glass floor, triple sized bed, excellent TV,mini bar, bathroom fit for a princess and even a music cenre and DVD player.

snorkeling or...

by Gerhard

snorkeling or scuba-diving
schnorcheln oder tauchen the best memory of Maldives are the wonderful white beaches and the dreamlike blue and green sea!

On the picture you see the phantastic new island Reethi Beach in the Baa-Atoll

Nice relaxing time

by TripAdvisor Member Kacer99

We have just returned from 12 very relaxing days in Reethi Beach, I can only echo many of the comments already made on this site. We had previously been to one other Maldivian island, that being Baros, which my girlfriend had fallen in love with, so it had a lot to live up to!
I cannot speak highly enough of how friendly and helpful the staff were, from the waiters to the room cleaners, the spa staff and the dive school staff all we very friendly, approachable and cheerful.
We went on a BB basis so you can imagine we had a hefty bill at the end of the holiday but it did, in my opinion enable us to enjoy a more civilised holiday by that I mean we avoided the 'scrum down' at 8 o'clock in the Main Restaurant. We ate mainly in the Moodhu Bar, which has superb panoramic views and a rather welcome sea breeze and the Eastern/ Maldivian restaurant, where we can highly recommend the honey roasted tiger prawns which were simply divine!

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Lorraine765

We have just returned from Reethi Beach!! The good news is that all inclusive now includes ALL bars and the restaurant in the evening is now open at 7pm which I believe makes a huge difference. There were no huge queues of people and the restaurant was always very quiet when we were there. It is true that if you have children and they prefer the usual "chicken nuggets and chips" they will be disappointed, but it did our daughter the world of good!!! The staff at this resort are extremely friendly and you will be treated extremely well.

I have to admit that we have only visited one other island in the Maldives and when we first arrived at Reethi, our initial reaction was that it looked a little "tired", however, this was soon overcome and you realise that it adds to the authenticity of the island. You definitely don't need shoes at all, maybe one pair of flip flops for trips if you do any. The food was excellent, we did AI and it was great for us. Any questions please e.mail me as i have found the reports on here really useful. If you are taking children I would take an airbed, my daughter wished she had taken hers! (she's 12). I really didn't want to come home!

Honeymooning

All the photographs I had seen of Reethi Beach looked so great and I wondered if this is just clever photography or genuine snap-shots of a great place. I prepared myself to be disappointed because, as the saying goes, if it looks to good to be true then it usually is. However, Reethi Beach was all that was promised and more.

My fiancé and I chose Reethi Beach for our honeymoon destination based on great looking images and promises of paradise on earth. I was at first reluctant to book not only because of the cost but also the painfully long flights. On the subject of which be sure to ask your travel agent before booking whether you will be arriving in Male’ before 3pm local time, otherwise you will not be able to get a flight to Reethi Beach until the next day. (On the subject of travel agents, if anybody is booking from the UK, for the sake of your own sanity, do not book with Hayes and Jarvis. All up until a few days before we were due to depart we suffered lost tickets, tediously endless telephone cues, and largely ignorant staff who have as mush awareness of your travel problems as does the dirt under your shoe. It’s only after a zillion calls that I managed to get our very late tickets, which were then taken from us on arrival at Male’ by the Hayes and Jarvis representative for reconfirmation).

On the sunnier side, as soon we saw Reethi Beach and were welcomed by the ever-eager-to-please staff we knew our time here would be fantastic. We had originally booked a Reethi Villa, i.e. a villa on the beach which we were told offers greater seclusion whereas the Water Villas are more expensive and less private. We were told by the island guide that all of the Reethi Villas are booked, and as there are none for us, we would be upgraded to a Water Villa free of charge. Although we weren’t quiet sure what to do, we decided to take a look at the Water Villa before deciding. Much to our delight, the Water Villa was spectacular having a spacious well equipped modern bathroom, a beautifully furnished bedroom and lounge area, and most of all a private balcony looking out onto the turquoise water over the coral reefs and other islands (or atolls) in the distance.

In later days as I walked around the island I found the actual Reethi Villas that we had originally wanted to stay in were far too close together with direct access to a very small area of the beach. There are around ten or so Reethi villas towards the front of the Island, an area which looks a lot better than the back of the island, but residents may suffer from the noise of sea planes and service boats coming and going. On the other hand the back of the island is quieter but seems a little more crowded with the remaining ninety or so Reethi Villas being built quiet close together. Hence, contrary to what we were told prior to departing, it is worth paying extra for the Water Villa.

Money is also a big issue. Everything on Reethi Island is expensive, but traded on US Dollars. For example, twenty minutes to check your personal e-mail will cost you $6, a 1 litre bottle of water will cost $3.30 and to hire two badminton rackets for one hour will cost you $14. Now the problem is that after paying for quite an expensive holiday, you can’t help but feel frustrated at being charged $15.40 to get a few pieces of clothes washed. As we already knew food would be expensive, so we decided to book All Inclusive, however the ‘all’ doesn’t exactly mean ‘all.’ A small selection of drinks in the main bar, an introductory snorkelling lesson (which we did not take, I mean how hard can snorkelling be? 1. Swim, 2. Look down), an excursion to Eydafushi and Dhoni Islands, a two hour night-fishing session (which is harder than it looks, although other people did quite well), a candle light dinner on the beach, and breakfast / lunch / dinner in the main restaurant. There are of course a whole bunch of other excursions but all cost from around $35 to $55 Dollars or so. Also, its worth noting that if you do book on the all inclusive, please be sure to know exactly where you can use your all inclusive privileges and for what. For example, during our candle light dinner we also asked for some water thinking of course that water is included in the all inclusive deal. Much to our surprise we were charged for the water as it as not on the candle light dinner menu. Had I know of course, I could have just walked about 30 seconds to the main bar and got it for free.

However I have to say at this point that all the members of staff that we came across on the island without exception were polite, helpful and friendly. It seemed that everyone was working together and sharing information to make our stay enjoyable. For example, the problem with the candle light mentioned above was quickly resolved by Ajesh Paul at reception who also, upon request gave us a broader range of non-alcoholic drinks within our all inclusive deal.

Last, but by no means least, the food was just amazing. Being that I’m a little tight fisted, as you may have noticed, we only really ate at the main restaurant, i.e. the restaurant that is included in our all inclusive deal, as oppose to the other three restaurants that are not. However, we found that the food in the main restaurant was absolutely gorgeous. Just the range of dishes available is impressive, and the deserts were just perfect, adding to this we were allotted our own table and waiter for the duration of our stay.

In closing, if you don’t mind paying a little extra for the little extras, Reethi Island is well worth a visit. Our time there just flew by and left us promising that we would return some day.

Wonderful holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Alycya

We have recently returned from our second visit to Reethi Beach and, again, we had a fantastic time.

We spent two weeks at the end of July, allegedly the rainy season, but experienced only one daytime storm, which passed over in 30 minutes. The other days were hot and sunny, mostly with a pleasant breeze on our side of the island.

We booked with Hayes and Jarvis, who were absolutely fine, mainly because they now use First Choice airlines instead of Monarch as their charter. Last year we went with Kuoni, whose service is excellent, but who fly Monarch - it was the worst flight experience we've ever had - cramped, no seatback TV (which is a big deal on an 11 hour flight!) and rubbish food. First Choice was miles better - we actually had more room than on a recent BA flight in economy, and the seatback entertainment was pretty good, with games as well as movies, music channels and TV shows, and the food was very good too.

The advantage of taking the charter flights is that they are timed to allow seaplane transfers the same day, which is a real advantage. There are scheduled flights with Emirates or Qatar, via Dubia or Doha, but sometimes they arrive or depart very early or late, necessitating a hotel stay in Male (one couple we talked to were flying Emirates back to Birmingham via Dubai and their transfer from the island was at 4pm, because the seaplanes only operate in daylight hours, but their flight from Male wasn't until 2am, so they were being put up in a hotel in Male for a few hours in between).

The seaplane transfer takes about 30 minutes, and is well worth it - the views are superb, so make sure you get a window seat if you have a camera!

The island itself is beautiful, and feels more authentically Maldivian than some of the international chains. You definitely won't find marble floors or tarmac'd paths here! Everything is wood floors and sand paths - don't bother packing your heels as you'll never wear them. Most people go barefoot or in flip-flops.

The main draw of Reethi Beach over other islands for us is the snorkelling - the house reef is superb and very easily reached. Some resorts require you to take a boat out to the reef, but at Reethi, you just swim out about 20 yards from the beach and you're in the coral. The main reef drop off has clearly marked channels to swim out and back through, and is about 50 yards from the edge of the water. We saw a huge turtle on the house reef on our last day, as well as an octopus, and every day saw a huge variety of fish, including parrot fish, triggerfish, snappers, surgeonfish (like Dorothy from Finding Nemo!) and sweetlips. In addition to the house reef, the dive school runs snorkelling trips by boat to more distant reefs at a cost of $25 per person. We did three of these trips, and swam with Manta Rays each time. July is Manta season on Baa Atoll, and you're practically guaranteed to see some on each snorkelling or dive trip.

Although we don't dive, about half the guest do, and everyone we talked to rated the dive school highly. Baa Atoll is much less developed than Ari or North Male Atolls, with only six resort islands, so the dive sites are very quiet, which is a big plus.

The island itself is beautiful, and very well managed. The beaches are cleaned every morning, and all the staff are incredibly polite and helpful.

We stayed in one of the deluxe villas, which I would really recommend, as it was directly on the beach and very spacious. Each deluxe villa has its own pair of sunloungers and a parasol, plus a swing to watch the sunset from. The room itself had a sitting area, huge bed, air con, fridge, safe and large open-air bathroom with a powerful shower and bath. Room service came in twice a day, so everything is kept beautifully.

The standard Reethi villas aren't as large, and aren't on such a wide bit of beach (some are actually a bit inland), so it's definitely worth spending the extra to upgrade (when you book, ask for a room numbered lower than 130 - this is the best bit of beach. I'd recommend our room, 127, just because the swing has a direct view of the sea, without any vegetation in the way).

The water villas are in pairs, and don't have steps down into the water like at some places. We were offered a free upgrade in the second week, but turned it down as we preferred our spot. The water villas are lovely, but are better if you're a dedicated sun worshipper. They have their own private balconies overlooking the water, which are basically suntraps at the right time of day, and each villa has two numbered loungers on the adjacent beach. However, there aren't as many parasols on that part of the beach as there are villas, so if you prefer a bit of shade you have to get there early and move your lounger to a shady spot.

We went half board instead of all-inclusive, as neither of us are heavy drinkers, and we knew from experience that the AI isn't truly all-inclusive. It includes all meals in the main restaurant, plus soft drinks, wine by the glass, beer and selected spirits and mixers taken at the main restaurant, main bar, and sunset bar if you're in the water villas. Cocktails aren't included at all. If you decide to eat in any of the other restaurants in the evening, if you are on FB, HB or AI, you get a 25% discount on the food there if you book before 1pm that day. Drinks at the other restaurants will cost full price.

The main restaurant is fine, and is always a buffet. At breakfast time, there's an omelette chef, as well as a selection of cooked items, cold meats and cheeses, a toasting machine and pastries. In the evening, there's always good selection of salads, breads and fresh fruit , plus changing starters, soup, a selection of hot food and desserts. Each night is a theme night (Indian, French, Chinese etc) - some are better than others! If you're looking for chips, you'll be disappointed as it's usually pasta and rice as the main carbs.

If you go HB, then you can opt to pay for the big buffet lunch at the main restaurant, or eat at Moodhu bar, which is on stilts over the water. We love it there, and it serves the best food on the island. The portions are huge, so we normally shared a sandwich and a bowl of fries. If we did this, our lunch bill was normally about $25 for both of us, including a 1.5ltr bottle of water and a bottle of Sprite. They also offer huge salads and cooked meals - the snapper in coconut curry sauce is particularly good! The main meals range from $10-$20 dollars each. We ate there sometimes in the evening too, especially if the theme in the main restaurant wasn't to our liking (I'm dairy intolerant, so Italian night didn't really offer me much choice).

There's not a lot in the way of organised evening entertainment, which is fine with most of the guests. There is one event each evening, which is sometimes a presentation by the Spa, Dive School or Watersports centre, and sometimes a participation event, such as the crab racing or music quiz, or a disco (although I never saw anyone dancing!). It's not a late-night place, as so many people dive early in the morning, but the main bar stays open until the last person leaves.

The Spa is wonderful - we had two massages each in the couples room, and they were blissful. The Spa staff are all Balinese, and they offer a range of massages and other treatments. There's a 20% discount on any treatments taken before 1pm, which is worth doing. A 50-minute full body massage cost us $55 each before our discount, which is easily comparable to UK spa prices.

Another highlight well worth mentioning is the nightly fish feeding, which takes place at 6pm each evening by the dive school jetty. There are always huge stingrays in attendance, and usually a guitar shark or two, complete with his entourage of remoras and corbyas. If you're really lucky, a baby lemon shark may show up too.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Reethi Beach if you're looking for a relaxed holiday involving lazing on the beach and snorkelling in paradise, and I can't wait to go back. Check out some of my pics to see for yourself!

Perfection!

This was a holiday of a lifetime for me. I took my 15 year old daughter and we stayed in room 106, a deluxe villa. It was perfect.The staff on the island were very friendly and attentive. We had 2 treatments at the spa where we were treated superbly. We went on the all inclusive. This worked brilliantly. The food was beautifully presented and there was an amazing choice. Everything on the island is unique. Even the souvenir T shirts can be hand painted by a brilliant artist. Had water skiing lesson. The local guy at the watersports centre was really helpful and encouraging. I found the whole experience of Reethi very emotional. It is so beautiful and it's people so gentle and kind. It was a wrench to leave. I returned home feeling totally relaxed. Now need to win the lottery so I can return one day.

by amycbox

"Reethi Beach"

If you're going to vist the Maldives Reethi Beach Resort has to be the place to see. The rooms are fantastic with all mod cons, they all have beach locations with the exception of the Water Villa's. The Delux Villa's are much more spacious and have a Maldivian swing outside the room. You are 10 paces from the Ocean's edge, and all the room have a fantastic view of the amazing sunsets. The dive facilities are excellent here, and the dive team are a good laugh too. The food offered in the main restaurant is excellent and there is a different theme each night, eg. Mexican, Italian, French with an extensive choice in the buffet. There is also a 24hour coffee shop which has a good menu choice, and the Chinese restaurant is fantastic value for money as well as excellent food. The evening entertainment is good, with a varity of things from crab racing to live bands. The staff are great, they can't do enough to make you feel extremely welcome. It's a must see place.

Reethi Beach welcome viewReethi Beach welcome view

The service jettyThe service jetty

A close upA close up

Juvenile black tipped reef sharks in the shallowsJuvenile black tipped reef sharks in the shallows

by millavilla

Hi,We are heading to Reethi Beach shortly and have never been to the Maldives before was wondering if anyone has any information on Reethi Beach and what trips there is to do
Cant wait to get there looks absolutley stunning
Thanks

Re: Reethi Beach

by marzooq

Reethi Beach is a lovely resort. and i have been there.

Re: Reethi Beach

by mauro_pd

Great place, good food, nice island, good snorkeling ... just to make it short :-)
For pix pls check my page.

Ciao !!!
mauro

reethi beach

by shilla26

Will be arriving at reethi beach 17th Nov would love to hear if anyone else is going there at that time and if anyone has been for there comments about the island. We will be All Incl and staying in a water bungalow for 2 weeks.
Hope to hear from someone soon

by cwylde

Does anyone have an e-mail for the Reethi Beach resort as we are going next year and I wanted to e-mail them to request certain information.

Thanks in advance

RE: Reethi Beach

by lancslass

Hi, We are going to Reethi Beach in Feb 06. I agree it is difficult to find an e-mail address for this resort. I had found their e-mail address some time ago - but forgotten which site I found it on - sorry. However, I e-mailed them on
info@reethibeachresort.com
I didn't get a reply though. Not tried since (before Boxing Day last 2004).
I aim to contact them nearer the time of our trip. Hope you are able to contact them.
Have a wonderful time.

RE: RE: Reethi Beach

by Heathfield

I think their full email address should be "info@reethibeachresort.com.mv"

H.

RE: Reethi Beach

by 26charlie

Hi there
Heres the e-mail I used info@reethibeach.com.mv
Im not sure where I got it from but I had an e-mail back from them in september time as I was after info on the water villas I'll be going in Nov 2006 and I can't wait.
I think it was from there site www.reethibeach.com
or try this e-mail Reservation@Reethibeach

Hope you get what you want!!!
Ann