Horubadhoo

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Royal Island Resort & Spa

June Honeymoon- Royal Island

by TripAdvisor Member helper100

First of all and im sure from some of he other reveiws i wont be the first to say avoid flying direct with monarch to the maldives if at all possible. The food was horrendous and made me ill half way throughalmost immediatly after it touched my mouth add that to a 5 hour delay at london they had allready started off on the wrong foot. Then after being herded onto the plane and packed into the plane like sardines we eventually got away. Speaking to a few others that stayed on the island it would appear the 2 stop emirate is by far the better way to go.

However after the flight from hell we arrived late evening and the weather was looking pretty awfully with a sea plane still to catch to the resort. Again this goes back to are friends at Monarch because of the delayed flight it meant there were less daylight hours and less flights left to catch to the resorts. The sea planes only flying in the day light hours with the best weather but with the weather as bad as it ws when we arrived it was looking pretty grim that we ever get to the resort that night.......this was begining to look like a very expensive mistake at at the time i wasnt sure whether to throttle monarch or the agent for suggesting this place. However From then on once we were under the care of the people from villa hotels it was absolutely brilliant. We were unable to get away from the airport that night because of the weather mostly but also by the time the weather had calmed it was dark.so the lounge staff quitely went about organising everything and we then had a quick speedboat across to a sister resort of the royal island where we stayed for the first night and again everything was organised and are resort flights on the sea plane we organised for the nextmorning. The staff were brilliant as things could have so very different but from the momment we arrived they could not do enough.

So early rise next morning and we took the sea Plane to the resort and highly advise this as it was brillant. The view is something special and overlooking all the islands and resorts was great. Arrival at the Royal Island was great met by friendly staff drink in hand then we were checked into are villa which was lovely. The villas are all right on the beach front seperated by a thin line of trees some could argue that they are a little close to your neighbours but itw as not something i noticed as a problem. Overall the resort was excellent the rooms were kept spotless the whole time. The all inclusive food was great with so much choice i would imagine even the fussiest eaters were catered for.However The ala carte restraunt though was very special the location was fantastic eating outside on the beach with the water about 10ft away was marvelous and the food was absolutely perfect. Even if you have gone all inclusive you have to eat out at this restraunt a couple of times its realy nice and the service was friendly allthough i did get ribbed about the football a little. The other facilities were all top notch as well, We went during the world cup and they even had a big screen TV in the club bar showing all the games as well as in your room if you chose. Room service option was good allthough obviously not covered by AI.The pool was lovely with the sea cutting underneath the setting for the main poolside bar was again fantastic. The water sports were all great as well an take advantage of as much as you can everything was so well organised it was all brilliant fun. The Night fishing trip was a good laugh allthough the wife caught more than me the view at sea of the sunsetting and then these little islands around was wonderfull. There are lots of other things to do which suprised me tennis,squash,badminton,gym and table tennis all available as well as a number of different excusrsions during the day. The island also has a spa which apart from the sandals which never seemed to fit my fit whtever size i got was great. I have never been into these types of things before but they were great really tranquil and the staff again were all top notch and come from all over. The spa treatments were not included in AI expect the free hooneymoon one we received. They all seemed reasonable and enjoyed them and my wife loved it.

Obviuosly cant go to the maldives without trying to have a go at diving or snorkeling and by there nature these holidays in the main revolve around water sports. The diving school on the island was very good and as a first timer with little confidence about diving at first i highly recommend it. Because when we arrived in June the island was less than half full it had loads of benifits so many staff trying to please you and in the case of diving one to one tuttion. My wife was aprehensive and the instructor was great in making her feel comfortable especially as the water was very choppy on are first day. The first dive in the house reef i got to see a Large turtle and what i was told was a small shark and from then on i was hooked. Later week dives i was also lucky enough to see a load of manta rays some very big scary eel's which quite frankly scared the life out me and plenty of different kinds of rays. The whole diving experience was wonderfull and that was largely due to the staff who we very helpfull reassuring and above all fun. For the more experienced diver there are morning noon and night dives and for the learner like myself you can do all the full training at the island and eventally get to go out on some of the organised dives.

The weather in june when we were there was allways temperature wise hot. so pack shorts and t shirts. The sky is not allways the clear blue you hope for it sometimes is overcast but again it is allways very hot so it does not stop you from doing anything. The bad weather when it arrives and we had in a 2 week holiday maybe 3 bad days which never turned out to be full days the bad weather is horrendous for an hour or so may 2 at the worst then it dissapears. The weather only stopped doing wht we wanted once on the whole trip and that was the BBQ outside are villa because it rained for about an hour. It did also rain once while we were snorkling but the sea was so warm and the weather was so warm it afually made it more fun.

Overall as a resort the royal island was brilliant the staff, the facilities, the food and the location were all top drawer. As a honey moon destination its easy to see why the maldives are so popular. The only slight dissapoint is being at the airport realising you actually not the only person on honeymoon. As for being on the island they make you feel like nothing is too much trouble. I would recommend this resort to anyone and would love to back again in the blink of an eye. If you worried about going in June its like anything you take a chance we did and i was great. The weather was bad the day we arrived ( i still Blame monarch for that though!!) and a couple of other times during the day but as i mentioned the weather really doesnt stay for long. It was quite humid at times but overall i would say the risk of it spoiiling you holiday there are minimal. There was also the added benifit that the island was quite compared to high season and for this reason we really were spoiled in terms of helpfull staff. I dont know but i would expect this is the case for the majority of the resorts and with less people you do feel that it a little extra special. The only thing i would change is not fly direct with monarch everything was perfect right down the outsideshower. Things i would recomend are diving of course, evening BBQ for 2 as well as getiing up early watching the sunrsise and snorkling at this time too as the water is much more lively. Midnight stroll for the romantics is a must the stars and the night sky were unbeleivable. The Spa on the island also added to the whole relaxed luxury that you experience. The maldives and in particular the royal island resort are fantastic. I could go on about how great this place is but the easiest thing for ou to do is to go yourself.

And dont worry about June its fine go early June and your be spoilt rotten!!

by beez3 about Royal Island Resort & Spa

~ Royal Island Resort & Spa ~

Atoll: Baa Atoll

Distance from the Airport: 110km Approx.

Transfer Airport/Resort: 2Hr 35 Min(Speedboat), 30Min (Seaplane)

Star Rating: 5

Year Opened: 2001

Island Length & With: 800m by 220m The overall environment of the Resort and services are GREAT!!

BUT...just don't choose to stay behind at this Resort during Chinese New Year

treated as royalty

by Fedzo about Royal island

the reosrt deserves its name, u r truely treated as royalty. Great beach great pool. and the greatest open buffet dinner ever. room with all facilities including internet access.

Amazing for relaxation

by maltese24 about Royal Island Maldives (Villa Hotels)

amazing, perfect, relaxing place....this island-hotel resort is full of bungalows on the extremely white sand....far away from everything......ideal for honey mooners quality, 5 star deluxe......all sports facilities........amazing food.....cant wait to go back there 1 day!!!

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member trutty

Last year we spent 10 nights on the Royal Island Hotel on the Maldives. Although the accommodation was very good and the staff offered a high personal service and the food was of a good standard, we were very disappointed with the condition and appearance of the beach. Royal Island Hotel is being partially eroded and a section of the beach is being supported and propped up by sandbags which we is anything but idyllic and beautiful and what one expects when one flies 13 hours to a supposedly paradise island.
This was very disappointing and we believe other islands do not suffer from this type of erosion.
We would not return and if going back to the Maldives would definitely choose another island.

Absolutely stunning - paradise definately

by TripAdvisor Member McKinley123

Paradise definately.
Thank you to other trip advisor reviews for the recommendation about staying at the southern part of the island. We requested this from Royal Island and they allocated us a superb room on the southern side.
It was our honeymoon and Royal Island couldnt have made us more welcome. They island is very tranquil and the island well looked after.
A superb spa and dive centre.
Excellent food and plenty of choice.
There is also an Al A Carte restaurant which also serves wonderful food.
Would highly recommend this Island - we will definately be going again.

5star beach, atoll, service, 4,5star bungalow, 4star food

by TripAdvisor Member vinnaresident

After we have allready returned for a long time we are still thinking back to a peaceful and recharging beautiful holiday at Royal Island Hotel.
I found there the best beach I have ever seen, and I am touring a lot. Bungalow was not reaching the luxury of a Thai luxury hotel but was still exclusive and perfect, including the open bathroom. Compared to other high-end 5star hotels in the Maldivien area the Royal Island is cheaper therefore we were accepting the not 5star food of the buffet restaurant. Food was good but not Le Meridien quality. So we see there room for improvement; the a la card restaurant is for example quality-wise better...
Last comment: Service was really 5star and excellent

Stefan and Anastasiya
Vienna

Honeymoon in the Maldives

by TripAdvisor Member Kim_199

We have just returned from our honeymoon in Royal Island, Maldives. It was exactly as described in the broucheure.
Having never gone AI before we were surprised to find that the minibar or labelled bottled of wines were not included i.e only glasses of house wine which were a bit rough to say the least. Infact, unless you are an alcoholic there is no need to go AI.
The buffet restaurant was great, plenty of choice and delicious (Thanks Sobah) as was the very romantic restaurant on the sand (again, not included on AI)...oh yes, don't forget when booking this restaurant they need 24hours to prepare a honeymoon dinner. Thanks to all the staff organising ours in 24 minutes!!
Make sure you stay on the southern part of the island as the sand is fabulous there...it has been washed away on the other side.
A very relaxing time was had by my husband and myself. Loved the sea plane to and from the island.
To make this resort 'excellent' I would have liked the minibar included (instead of a 10 minute walk to the bar there and back for an orange juice!)
Thanks everyone. Kim, London

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member DiamondHornchurch

We did our homework before we booked and I am so glad we chose this resort - If you are in a dilemma regarding what resort to choose, we can honestly say that we would recommend that you try the Royal Island.

We have just returned and cannot wait to return. The Bungelows are great and are right on the Beach - so there is none of the usual travelling to do, you just walk out of your back door and onto the sand!

The Spa is a must if you like that sort of thing. I had several treatments and they were all good.

We went on a private picnic and were taken to our own uninhabited Island for the day - to be recommended.

The lasting memories though, are of the people. I have never felt so welcomed and looked after. From the minute we landed to the minute we left, we felt very special.

Sharon and David From Hornchurch

Royal Island - True Paradise

by Fillie

"Our villa"

Perfect location, quiet and tranquil and just that bit of luxury

"View from the villa"

You cant get better than this

"The Spa"

We visited many times, treatments outdoors, relaxing and natural. Perfect.

The Water Center at Royal IslandThe Water Center at Royal Island

Royal IslandRoyal Island

Royal Island Resort & SpaRoyal Island Resort & Spa

Royal Island Resort & SpaRoyal Island Resort & Spa

Royal Island - Maldives

by Fillie

Hi

Can anyone help me with a review for the Royal Island Resort in the Maldives? I have searched the net high and low and have only found one review, whilst there are hundreds for others!

Would appreciate all comments (good and bad).

Thanks for responding

try to check the devihi (maldives) name : Horubadhoo

Re: Royal Island - Maldives

by Grubbit

Hello,
My boyfriend and I stayed at Royal Island in November last year, and it was the best holiday I've ever had. We were on the All Inclusive option and I would really recommend this. The island is not totally AI so we had to sign for each drink and the prices looked quite steep for the B&B guests. The food was fantastic - a real variety. I am a vegetarian and there was always a choice of dishes for me. When you arrive, you are allocated a table and a waiter for the duration of your stay (try to get a table by the pool if you can - the parrot fish is quite entertaining). There is a good mix of English, German and Russian guests and a really relaxed atmosphere. The staff are fantastic and the accommodation superb. The spa looked amazing, although we didn't indulge - far too busy diving.
The dive school is very good - Mark and the team do a great job. I think it was about $50 per dive (including all equipment) and then $14 for the boat. The local dive sites offer a good range of things to see; we saw eagle rays, manta rays, reef sharks, parrot fish and napoleon fish to name but a few. Although you can see many of these just snorkelling off the house reef.

I can really recommend Royal Island and can't wait to go back myself. I am getting married next November and will be going to Royal for my honeymoon.

Hope this helps!

royal island

by helenwa

Hi i have just returned from sun island which was great but we are thinking about going again we have looked at royal island has anyone been there would love any information about it thanks helen

by Gard

Hi

You have just returned and already you are planning a new trip to the Maldives....I guess you got hooked :-) Hope you get some good feedback from people who has been to Royal island :-)

Regards
gard

by LisaMJ

There was a question about royal island a few months ago in this forum, if you scroll through the previous posts you should find it.

hope this helps

Lisa

by SiobhanL

Hi
I've only recently "discovered" vt so I hope I'm not too late in replying to yr query on Royal Island. We stayed there last December and it was fantastic. We've been to the Maldives 6 times now (you know how you get hooked on the Maldives) and we felt Royal Island was the very best we had been to. The accommodation is lovely, the food is great (too good) and the snorkelling was excellent. The pool was also very nice though we're more beach people. Some people may find it's not "no shoes no news" enough but if you liked Sun Island then I think you will love Royal Island. I couldn't find one fault with it and we will hopefully return this year. Almost on a par with Royal Island is Filitheyo and then Makunudu. If you have any queries feel free to contact me.
Regards
Siobhan

Royal Island Resort

by Sue44

I am travelling to Royal Island in a couple of weeks - can't find many reviews on the island. Can someone give me some information please. Do you have to dress up for restaurants or is shorts and t-shirts ok. Have booked HB - will drinks be expensive and should I upgrade to AI when I arrive.

Thank you.

Re: Royal Island Resort

by Sarah-J

As you probably know its part of the Villa Hotel Group
www.villahotels.com.
(although there is not much info on their website)

Havent been to Royal Island, but have visited the Maldives several times on the islands we have visited it appears to me that some people dress up abit...some just keep to shorts and t-shirts.

As for the HB to AI question its one we are still debating ourselves... we are booked to go again in Jan and have booked HB...we have always just paid for drinks as we go because we dont think we would drink the difference in price..(hope that makes sense)

Have a wonderful time

Sarah

Re: Royal Island Resort

by kathriner

We went on our honeymoon to Royal Island in September. You have really got something to look forward too ! It's just wonderful and I can not think of a single complaint about the place.

Nice and clean beach villas with a wonderful semi-outdoor bathroom. The food is just great - much better than I expected from a buffet-style restaurant. Lots of choice and something different every day. The staff are friendly and you are taken care of from the minute you arrive.

Regarding the dress code I'd say it's pretty informal. shorts and t-shirt is fine for lunch but most men would wear trousers and t-shirt for dinner. But nothing fancy. Most ladies did not dress up a lot - not a lot of high heels around but maybe a skirt or a summer dress.

There is lots of water sports to do if you get bored just gazing into the horizon. We mainly went snorkeling. We brought our own snorkeling gear which I would recommend otherwise you might have to walk a bit to borrow the hotel gear.

We were on an all inlclusive deal. I'm not sure if it was our cheapest option. But considering the really steep prices on beer and drinks I think it was worth it - then we didn't have to worry about the price and could order whatever we felt like anytime :-)

Feel free to ask any more questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Regards,
Kathrine
Oslo-Norway

Re: Re: Royal Island Resort

by Sue44

Thanks for your reply. It is very helpful. If you think of anything else we might need to know we would appreciate it. Really looking forward to our break now.

Thanks