4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Filitheyo Island Resort

The Best of Best

by DeliCem about Filitheyo Island Resort

The only Resort on Filitheyo Island which is 45 minutes by air taxi from Male. diving spots, excellent facilities, a high standard of accommodation, friendly service, good cuisines and relaxing atmosphere

Filitheyo resort

by jlattre about Filitheyo Beach Resort

Extremely pleasant stay. Wonderful island and bungalows, friendly staff, perfect food, excellent snorkeling.

Fantastic Filitheyo

by TripAdvisor Member mollywest

We spent 14 perfect days at Filitheyo and can honestly say that the resort is to be highly recommended. The whole experience was so relaxing from start to finish and attention to detail made the resort that bit special. All staff go that little but further to ensure your holiday is a truly memorable experience. Our holiday was thoroughly enjoyed, giving us happy memories that will remain with us for years to come.
What a way to start the holiday with the sea-plane transfer ! Views of the Atolls were amazing. We couldn't believe the beauty below us. On landing, we were transfered to a Dhoni for the 15 minute sail to the resort. Staff were very efficient and on arrival we were greeted with cool towels and a coconut drink.
We were allocated a semi-detached superior bungalow which was very clean and pleasant. The four-poster bed had mosquito nets and there was a TV with Sky News. There is also a mini-bar in the room and tea/coffee facilities.
The bathroom is partly open, so doesn't benefit from the air-conditioning in the room. I thought that showering under the stars would be a pleasant experience, but I personally I didn't find this to be the case. Our shower had a coconut palm directly above and I frequently felt under threat of coconut bombardment as I showered!! Lizards were often in the bathroom, especially when paying a visit during the early hours. One evening I went into the bathroom to discover a tree rat observing me from the interior of the thatched roof. The whole island must have heard my response!!
The food at the buffet restaurant was excellent, with something for all tastes. A few meals did lack plain food for those tiring of spicy dishes. The deserts were fantastic and not to be missed. Home-made icecream is fantastic, especially peanut flavour. We had delicious cakes,pastries, hot-puddings and best of all tiramasu . Breakfasts did become rather boring after the first week and would be improved by some variation.
The beach outside our bungalow was stunning. We were in bungalow number 60 which was in a good position for the Sunset bar and restaurant. Any higher than 90 would be too far to walk. There was a gradual movement from the higher number bungalows to lower numbers for this reason while we were there. I e-mailed the resort one month before our departure to request a bungalow below number 70, which they did for us.

We spent some time snorkelling each day and saw some really beautiful fish. Just like swimming in a marine aquarium- fantastic. Watch out for the rays in the shallows and wear flip-flops or reef shoes. We saw reef sharks, parrot fish and turtles to name but a few.
We had 14 days of sunshine and no rain at all. We were concerned about the weather in July having read reviews, but need not have worried. The weather was perfect.
There is little entertainment in the evenings at the resort. We did tend to eat our evening meal at 9.00pm followed by a few drinks in the main bar afterwards. Being on the equator, sunset is early at around 6.30pm, so the evenings do tend to be long.
We booked half board and were really glad that we didn't upgrade to all inclusive. Our total bill for extras was half the cost of upgrading. We had a snack at the sunset bar during happy hour on a daily basis, having pizza, burger or nachos etc with 4 beers- (4 for the price of 2). We would have water with dinner and a glass of wine followed by 2 drinks in the bar after dinner. Unless you drink and eat a great deal, it really isn't worth upgrading to all inclusive.
The resort was excellent and we wouldn't hesitate in returning. The whole experience was superb and not to be missed. It was an expensive holiday, but every bit of it was good.
The staff were lovely and there was never any pressure to tip.However, we ensured the good service was rewarded on our departure.
The only grumble we have is with the airline we travelled with. Need I say any more. No prizes for guessing which airline!! I have never felt so tightly packed into an aircraft and been concerned about health and safety during a flight before. Never to be used again, but certainly didn't spoil our holiday.

Filitheyo is a fantastic resort, with wonderful staff and excellent facilities. Highly recommended!!

Keep it simple!

by Ali&Steve

Swimmies! Sunglasses! T Shirts & Shorts for gents. Sarongs, light loose gear for ladies, and maybe something slightly more dressy for the evening (to keep up with the Italians!) Flat sandals: heels stick in sand and there's nothing else to tread on! An absolute must for Filitheyo snorkellers - dive bootees or similarly protective footwear because getting out to the house reef across the loose coral and stones can be very painful. Umbrellas are supplied in your room in case of the odd shower.
Ali's most important item: Waterproof mascara.
Baldies: Don't forget your hat! Steve can testify to the pain and suffering of leaving this essential item behind Bring it all with you. "Personal" items for ladies are four times the price you'd pay at home. Pack sunblock and use it religiously - the Maldivian sun can be deceptively strong.Mossie repellent with plenty of DEET in it is essential, even though the whole island is sprayed every day. A decent camera. Definitely need one of those. An underwater camera if you have one, or divers can hire one from the Dive Centre.

Highly Recommended Island

A short stay only - our third trip to the Maldives in three years.

We had a few reservations about Filitheyo before we arrived, partly from reading some of the reviews on here, but it far exceeded our expectations.

We particularly liked
- the design of the resort: the spacious restaurant; the shaded walkways; the cool peaceful well stocked library, the fountains;
- the snorkelling
- the food

We took reef shoes, but really only used them to walk around the island. We even managed to use a lilo in the sea!

We would certainly return to Filitheyo should we ever decide to make another trip to the region (other parts of the planet now call us). I cannot think that anyone would be disappointed with Filitheyo unless they wanted a hectic night life or were water sports enthisiasts (for which Filitheyo is not well suited ). We are not divers, but we were told by fellow guests that the diving is excellent - and, as with the snorkelling, there is no need to go out on a boat to do it.

Simply Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member rarobound

Have just returned home from 10 nights at Filitheyo and it IS heaven on earth. The whole island is very natural looking and is kept impecably clean by an army of staff. The sand is that white and the water is REALLY as blue as the photos in other reviews.

I travelled solo and loved every minute of my stay, despite being the ONLY single person on the island. It really is a couples island. To that end, I would only recommend Filitheyo to singles who WANT to be alone, which is exactly what I wanted. Rest, relaxation and some alone time.

My increased waistline can vouch for the incredible food. Something different every night and a huge choice to please even the fussiest eater. My favorite, a different flavored home made ice-cream every night.

The snokelling was incredible. The coral is not pretty, although it is recovering in places from the 'bleaching', but the fish are amazing. Although there are a lot of fish to see on the edge of the reef, bite the bullet and venture out into the 'dark' water. If you have the nerve to do so, you will see SO much more. I found the snorkelling best between exits 4 and 5, which was where my bungalow was (50).

As beautiful as the island is, it is made more so by the fantastic staff, who just can't do enough for you. A special hello to my room boy, Rock, my food waiter, Imsad and my favorite waiter at the sunset bar, Hussin. Your friendliness towards this single lass made my holiday more enjoyable than I ever could have imagined.

If Filitheyo is on your list, do youself a favor and just GO. You won't be diappointed. If heaven is a place on earth, Filitheyo IS it.

best all-inclusive so far

by TripAdvisor Member jur

We have been staying in several expensive all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Indonesia, Dominican Republic, etc. but this resort is the very best so far. A memorable lifetime experience ! This is a true white sand bounty island as depicted in fancy magazines. Filitheyo is positioned as mid-range (thus affordable) resort but with high-end service, comfort and relaxation. The meals at the restaurant are superb (sushi and sashimi for breakfast, lunch and diner), the sunsets are unforgettable, the house-reef is amazing, the service is excellent, the diving school is professional (we were extremely lucky and snorkeled with 120 dolphins), the spa treatments are great (ask for Rose). The only minor irritations were a few mosquito bites, occasional nosy neighbours and rainshowers. Don't forget to ask the room boy to cut fresh coconuts for you. Rooms 39- 72 are the best. Highly recommended. We will be back (although we never return to the same place).

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member Mermaid5

Filitheyo was great, despite the long trek to get there (2 planes, one seaplane and one boat trip!). We had great accommodation in a detached villa and never really saw our neighbours due to the way the villas are staggered. We went half-board and bought small snacks for lunch if we fancied them, but to be honest, the two meals a day were enough.

The island is quite small but big enough to not be crowded. I would recommend taking flip flops with you on this island as the main paths can be quite stony. I also got some mossie bites, but the staff came into our room every night and lit the mosquito coil for us. They also sprayed the trees every day with repellant.

The weather wasn't brilliant in November, but the staff had left two big umbrellas in every room so that we didn't get too wet when walking about. The staff were very attentive and we couldn't have asked for more from them.

The dive centre was very good, but if you are looking for some big stuff then November is not the time of year to visit this island as there isn't much about.

You won't be disappointed!

by TripAdvisor Member Les_vacances

My husband and I visited Filitheyo at the end of April / beginning of May 2006. This is the very beginning of the monsoon season but on the whole the weather was perfect, the odd cloud and spot of rain but mainly beautiful blue skies and a cooling sea breeze on the beach (it’s noticibly warmer ‘inland’ where avenues of palm trees create more shelter). This was our first visit to the Maldives which we’d primarily chosen for the diving, we’d definitely go back. The resort is of a high standard with nice personal touches such as a daily newsletter delivered to your balcony giving weather predications and tips. All staff are friendly and efficient.

Accommodation: we stayed in a Superior Beach Villa (semi detached), they are very pretty and the beds are comfortable. The bathroom is huge and part open air so you can shower under the stars. Although we were in a semi-detached bungalow we didn’t find the noise from our neighbours was much of a problem. All Superior Beach Villa’s are set a few meters back from the beach and have sun loungers. I e-mailed the hotel prior to departure requesting a room with a good strip of beach. We were very glad we did as we had a perfect strip of beach to ourselves and the best snorkelling point on the island. Of course it goes without saying that the beach is pure white sand with beautiful, warm turquoise water.

Food: excellent. Great selection at the evening buffet including local and international dishes, something for everyone, we were impressed with the variety. Desserts were fantastic as were the homemade breads. Breakfasts were also good. We were on half board basis and so paid for all our drinks and these were expensive ($4 for a bottle of water, although we were told it was perfectly safe to drink the tap water and we did). Half board suited us as we were diving a lot and wouldn’t have had time to fit in a big lunch, but if you are there to relax, eat and drink I’d recommend going for the all inclusive option. The restaurant is in a large thatched building, you have your own table and a personal waiter for the duration of your stay which makes tipping easier. We usually ate lunch at the poolside bar that offered a good range of snacks (meze, salads, burgers, pizza’s – and although there is no room service, you can collect a take away pizza from the main bar).

Diving: Very well run German dive school. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. This resort is the only one in the Atoll so you are guaranteed to be the only dive boat at dive sites. Although we heard this isn’t the best Atoll to dive in the Maldives, we are experienced well-travelled divers and would definitely rate it as our top dive spot. The dive boats leave twice a day and are organised for beginners and experienced divers. You can also dive (the excellent) house reef at any time of the day or night and will have your tanks taken to your chosen entry point, they will also let novice divers dive the house reef unguided. We were amazed at the vast array of marine life including turtles, eagle rays, white tipped reef sharks and napoleon wrasse. Some fellow divers had seen a whale shark the week before but he eluded us.

The Island: It’s quite small (although probably not by Maldivian standards), and was built about 7 years ago but we found that apart from the odd bit of wear and tear around the pool area, generally the décor is still looking good. The island is quite rugged and awash with palm trees (shady avenues of which will lead you to all the hotel amenities). The atmosphere is friendly and chilled out, don’t expect masses to do in the evenings, the only entertainment laid on while we were there which was the hermit crab racing. There is a gym and a spa, a small gift shop and library which is handy if you run out of books or magazines. There is also table tennis, baby foot, a dartboard and various board games.

A fantastic island!

The Ali&Steve View Of The Maldives

by Ali&Steve

"Filitheyo"

We chose Filitheyo principally for the diving as we had been to Eriyadu in January and the dive operations are both run by Werner Lau http://www.wernerlau.com/new/eriyadu.uk/index.html
with whom we were impressed.

Our first impression of Filitheyo when we reached the (deluxe) beach bungalow was that the accommodation was better than that of Eriyadu. That opinion still remains now that we have returned. Unfortunately, the resort operators, AAA, have seen fit to put CD players in each room. All well and good; but, sound proofing was not in the mind of the builders. Somebody has put some advice somewhere else on the site to take CDs to play. Well - be warned if you end up next to me playing CDs you could be getting a nasty visit! Same with the TVs in the room. The resort should really create 1 or 2 TV rooms and remove TVs from the rooms.

Clothes storage is curiously outside under cover shared with the bathroom which means that they don't get air conditioned. However, we would leave the ceiling fan running to keep them ventilated.

Owing to a 3 hour delay with the seaplane, we had to run to lunch. It was worth it. Excellent spread of food which continued every day and every meal.

Diving is good but better on Eriyadu where there are also less children! Part of the island reef is off limits whereas, at Eriyadu, the full 360 degrees was available. Filitheyo is a lot larger which consequently meant longer walks back from dive exit points to the dive centre which became a bit gruelling after multiple dives.

Nationality mix is much more varied on Filitheyo where, strangely, our Teutonic friends were nearly matched by the Latin cohorts. Throw in plenty of French, Japanese, and Brits and the atmosphere lightened a bit.

In summary: Eriyadu wins on the diving front, Filitheyo wins for food and accomodation.

FilitheyoFilitheyo

Filitheyo

by emrama

Hi, after many hours of eye strain from research we finally decided on Filtheyo for our honeymoon. This desicion is based on the following:
Fab ratings on tripadvisor
first choice direct flights
fab food(apparantly)
great snorkelling

We will be staying in a superior villa mid-april 2007 and are wondering if anyone has stayed there before around this time. if so, which would be a good location to request our room ?
Many thanks
Emily

Filitheyo Island Resort anyone?

by rhinokitch

Hello all.
I'm making an enquiry for a friend actually. I'm getting married to my future wife in Sri Lanka at the start of July 2005, then moving on to Kuredu in the Maldives. I've found forums and info for this island - even a website!
But guests at our wedding are moving on to Filitheyo Island Resort. Been searching for forum's or website's concerning this place but to no evail! Does anyone know of a forum, or an official website please? I would be most grateful.
Thank you.
Michael.

RE: Filitheyo Island Resort anyone?

by Melanglais

Filitheyo is part of the aaa resorts chain, and their website is www.aaa-resortsmaldives.com. Their guest book is out of date (not working), but I can tell you that Filitheyo is a fabulous island, and your guests will have a great time. My husband and I were there in October last year. Beautiful island, quiet, with all the fixtures and fittings in keeping with the tropical island feel. The staff were just so helpful and efficient, and the food was to die for. It has its own house reef just a few strokes from the beach, where you can see an amazing number of different fish. I would love to go back!

RE: RE: Filitheyo Island Resort anyone?

by rhinokitch

Hello.
Thanks for the information. I'll pass it on to our friends. I'm sure it'll be a great help.
Michael.

Diving on Filitheyo Island Resort

by 33kathymac33

I am thinking of doing the introduction to diving course (3 days) on Filitheyo island while i am there this year, I have looked on the dive website for the island and found some information, if any one has done this course on this island I would be very grateful if you would let me know what they thought of it and any other useful information which you maight have.

Also is it best to book when you arrive on the island or over the internet before you go,

RE: Diving on Filitheyo Island Resort

by scubakitty

Hi there,

I just did the diving course at Filitheyo in March. I chose Werner Lau because it has one of the best reputations in Germany. I felt very safe and can highly recommend it. Niko was our instructor and he really knew his stuff. I booked my course there and paid about 400 euros plus equipment. I believe my total was 521.00 dollars with boat trips. Worth every penny! It is hard work but the house reef at Fili is fantastic and my only concern is where to go on holiday now that wwe have been so spoiled. Evrything else seems like a step down. An added bonus is the fanastic food...we stuffed ourselves I am ashamed to say... Have fun!

Alice

RE: Diving on Filitheyo Island Resort

by bebe67

Quite bad diving experience there in 2004. The instructors were German and looked after German people, ignoring other people's needs. The main access to water to the housereef is from the harbour, among the dhonies. You need to swim a lot. The housereef is not spectacular. Fishes are not confindent.
Bebe67