Dhigufinolhu (Dhigu Island), PO Box 2014, , 2014
Booking.com Travelocity Hotels.com

More about Anantara Dhigu Resort & Spa

michel cool

by TripAdvisor Member michelcool

Its my second stay at the hotel and i found the place getting better and better.
good points:
food is a plus,every restaurants has a good choice and has is own style,italian,fusion grill!!,Thai,international,snack all top notch
and for our last night we book the dinner on the beach and thas is out of the world,you have your own chef and waiter cooking for you in the most romantic location you can imagine.a must.

Room;this time we try the beach villa and the bathroom is beautifully set,outdoor shower,great bathtub,tv,dvd etc..great view on the lagoon,i was on the sunset and that is waoww most of the night we were having aperitif in our room and watching the sun going down ,so beautiful

Spa;great service,you really feel zen when you come out of it,my wife when few times and she love it,very friendly staff,overwater room

Staff;friendliness of the staff,from the groudsmen which welcome us each morning on the way to breakfast to our housekeeping boy jansheed,who decorated our room and had fine attention to details..the staff really want to please you

no so good is the vegetation which still need to grow,in some area only,when i was there in september it was much more obvious.
one side of the island face the 6 star hotel so you dont have the infinity view of the sunset side

the snorkeling need the room is not that great but if you dont mind swimming a bit you do have ome great spot near the italian island.
i will come back again,there is so much feeling to it.

Food for the Soul

by TripAdvisor Member TravellerBerkshireUk

We have travelled all over , from Europe, the States, South America, Japan, China, Caribbean, ( I only mention this so the reader can see we have a perspective on travel ) - Don't read any other reviews of this resort - just book it - Sunset or sunrise, it does not matter. Too much has been made of this in other reviews -( we preferred the beach villa to the places on stilts , but its a personal chose). I defy anyone not to say " WOW' when you open the bathroom doors of your villa !!! . The only thing to decide is how far or near the resturant and pool you prefer to be. The beach and water will blow you away. The food in all the resturants is outstanding, ( watch out if you're on HB thought because some items on the menu are extre ) and the staff are lovely. Note that you should book all your resturants as soon as you can because they all get booked up . If you can't get in anywhere then head for the buffet - you will not be disappointed .The spa is the icing on the cake, we booked the 3 day programme - wished I'd booked 10 ! The Thai girls that run it are a dream......to say nothing of the beautiful design. The speedboat trip to the reef is a must ( we saw a turtle ) my other half said it was like living in "Finding Nemo". Special mention to Siyad for the prompt response to our e.mails and to Soumitra who welcomed us morning and evening with a smile. Also thanks to lovely Janice for all her kindness .The dine by design is amazing ( so worth the money ) - its an unforgetable feast. The cocktail party, where you get to meet all the management and guests was a great night and a really good idea. . This resort is just the ideal place to chill - its the best place we've ever been. Can't wait to go back.........soooon

Chill out at Anantara

by TripAdvisor Member Gertrude79

We stayed at Anantara for 2 weeks in February for our honeymoon. Of course it helped that the weather was absolutely perfect for almost the entire time we were there, but this is really a first class resort.

We stayed in an overwater villa, when we arrived we had a room on the sunrise side as the sunset rooms were full but we swapped after a couple of days. I have to admit I did prefer the sunset side purely for watching the sun go down with a drink on the balcolny but which ever you stay in you wont be disappointed. People we spoke to also praised the beach villas highly.

The accomodation was a very good standard and extremely spacious.

We were blown away by the quality of the food - the restaurant choices are excellent from the enormous variety available at the fushi cafe at breakfast, to the fabulously fresh food at Fuddan. I loved Fuddan, just such a great setting, my husband loved the Thai - and it really was excellent quality. We stayed half board for the first week and B&B for the second and to be honest found B&B better value - the portions are so huge you cant really manage 3 courses which is pretty much what your half board supplement pays for, also the in villa dining is so good and a lovely way to have a chilled out night, especially on the sundeck of the overwater villas and this isnt included in half board.

No-one on here ever seems to mention the diving here which is suprising, as we did so much!! We have dived in many places and highly recommend the dive school here - the instructors and boat staff were outstanding, totally hassle free diving with equipment cleaned, stored and set up for you, and we had some wonderful dives.

Overall, not as expensive as we had anticipated, lovely resort, friendly staff, great diving, incredible food and no complaints - except the smell of drains in the bathroom but hey nothing is perfect!!

You people are hard to please !

by TripAdvisor Member BROAD369

We have just returned from our honeymoon at Anantara in early March and we found it to be absolutely lovely.

We had a sunset side water villa which was beautiful, private, well equipped, massive bed, lovely linen, powerful air con and an unsurpassed view of the lagoon.

The food was tasty and plentiful and the service in all restaurants and the bar was first class - there appears to be a member of staff for just about every guest so you can't complain at lack of service !

Attending to some of the issues that previous reviews have raised :

Arrival, welcome and check in no problem at all - we arrived at 9 am and our room was ready on the day.

There was no rubbish anywhere near reception

The Spa was lovely and very relaxing - good value compared to top end Spas in the UK - Thai massage about £40.

Wine not cheap for what it was but £25-£30 acceptable for a bottle with dinner.

Yes you have to pay for trips, treatments, drinks and lunches (we were half board) but it you are going to a 5 Star place then you expect to be stung a little. We actually shared a lunch most days because the portions were large and we weren't all that hungry in the heat.

Weather was fantastic every day we were there !

Its a new resort - the vegetation does need some time to grow fully but it really isn't that bad.

Plumbing for the water bungalows could be better, the waste pipe is all interconnected so there was on occasion some smell feeding back through plugholes in sinks and bath - this is one area that I do believe that they should attend to.

Snorkelling is not the best but if you are that bothered you can go on a trip - we were happy just to potter locally and appreciate the bits that we did see.

Dolphin Safari was ok but gets a bit repetitive after a while - its not like you can get out and swim with them.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the resort for a chilled out holiday or a honeymoon - some people seem to expect something else of a 5 Star resort, plumbing apart we found it to be just what we wanted and expected.

Additionally we booked through John Sloane at Stylish Resorts - excellent personal service and good pricing - totally recommend them !

Georgous

by TripAdvisor Member ILuv2Travel

I agree - YOU PEOPLE ARE HARD TO PLEASE! Just returned from 7 nights in a sunset beach villa. This resort is fantastic for a romantic break and reasonably priced. For your info, we are frequent travellers and are extremely fussy. Originally, we were not expecting much because our rate was so cheap. We were pleasantly surprised.

I cannot fault this property. Ignore the whole "sunset/sunrise" issue! Upon reading the reviews, we opted to pay the extra US$50 per night for the sunset side. We were furious when we realised that the sunrise side is lovely also. There are positives and negatives on both sides, however, we would have loved the sunrise side.

Our villa got sooooo hot in the afternoon and the aircon couldn't cope. Sunrise would be much cooler. Besides, sunsets must be watched from the infinity edge pool & bar.

The interior of the room is a little basic but comfortable. The outdoor bathroom is exotic however, the heat is so bad that you tend to avoid that area. Obviously, it's not airconditioned.

If you can afford it - go for the overwater villas.

All staff are georgous and smile constantly. There is a slight communication breakdown but that just adds to the experience. Service is always good as there are so many of them.

Food - Every meal is a culinary delight. I love the fact that all restaurants are on the water or have views of the water. This makes a romantic meal so much nicer. The Thai restaurant has an exciting and dramatic atmosphere and the food is aromatic and delicious. Terrazzo is slightly more upmarket and you feel you should dress up a bit. The Italian food is so authentic but the room is a bit enclosed so therefore not much breeze. As you may have noticed, the weather during our seven days was unbearably hot!

It is lovely seeing the friendly breakfast staff each morning. The buffet is fantastic. Also, try the lunch buffet at Fuddan. We were blown away and the price was fantastic.

Overall, value for money is excellent (compared to other resorts in Maldives).

The main reason we travel to the Maldives is the clear blue water. It is the best in the world (better than Bora Bora in my opinion). The water surrounding Anantara is amazing and is definately the highlight of the trip. As previously mentioned, don't bother snorkelling around the island. If you have experienced good snorkelling before, don't even bother going on the organised snorkel trip to the outer reef. There are definately fish out there, but it's not impressive.

Also, I agree, the sand is not soft. The coral hurts to walk on so take plastic shoes. It sounds uninviting and horrible, but its not that bad and the water makes up for it.

On our last night in the Maldives, we treated ourselves to a night at their new sister resort "Naladhu". As it had just opened, we were offered an "ok" rate. The "residences" at this tiny resort are amazing. I highly recommend it.

Value for money 5-star resort

by TripAdvisor Member kiwiinuk

My wife and I spent 8 nights at Anantara in late Jan. We stayed in a water villa on half-board basis – all booked through an independent agent that used Kuoni.

I put in a lot of time researching the alternatives and in the end I chose the Anantara because it offered a high quality resort and most importantly very private water villas with all the mod cons – all within our budget of approx. £4k.

Our key comments and advice are as follows:

•If flying Sri-Lankan (I’d recommend this as the upgraded seats on a charter flight have the same legroom as an economy commercial flight), pre-book your seats direct with the airline. The seating configuration is 2-4-2 so a window and aisle are good for a couple.
•If staying at a water villa, request a sunset side villa (these are all even numbered … I’d recommend #108 onwards as the sunset view when having a shower or bath will be better). The reasons for this include a) a view of the horizon and not other islands that are used for or in the middle of construction b) shelter from the prevailing wind. From their website it appears that they now charge more for sunset villas but it’s def worth it
•We’d recommend a water villa over a beach villa due to the additional room and importantly greater privacy (i.e. no-one walks past your sunbathing deck)
•If staying in a Beach Villa, we’d recommend a sun-set villa because a) the beach is nicer on that side of the island b) shelter from the wind. In particular, we’d recommend the very tip of the island near the spa or the villas between the pool and the water villas on the sunset side
•Re: board basis. B&B (note – breakfast closes at 10.30) is fine if you want to save some £££ which you can do if you only have a simple main for dinner (£20 - £30 per person), HB just makes things very easy and there is good variety across the 4 restaurants (we ranked the restaurants in this order – Fuddan Grill (Fusion food)– Baan Huraa (Thai) – Terrazzo (Italian) – Fushi (buffet).
•The gym is well equipped, there are always plenty of loungers by the pool, there is a reasonable selection of dvd movies and the free internet is a good touch
•Top tips – a) you can plug non-iPods into the music system (saves on bringing CDs) – we’ve got a Sony MP3 player b) about 3pm at the pool they bring around free sorbet ice-creams c) the best free snorkelling is between the water villas at the 4-star sister island d) book restaurants for dinner a day or so in advance – they operate a system where each table is essentially only booked for one sitting each night which means the restaurants never feel crowded … if you don’t book in advance then you’ll likely have to dine at the Fushi buffet which is fairly ordinary e) have dinner close to the water at the Fuddan – the lights attract sting-rays and reef sharks
• Grips – there is coral along the beach / edge of water – you can walk around bare-foot but you do need to watch your step … but this just reflects the newness of the resort.

Truly fantastic!

by TripAdvisor Member lizzyb28

Having read some of the previous less favourable reviews we were tempted to try and change hotel but are so glad that we were too late to do so. This hotel is amazing (and we do like good hotels!). We had requested villas on the sunset side (do note that from 1/4/07 there is a $50 per night supplement for this, which, after speaking to the Daniel the Manger, we had taken off our bill, due to booking last year!). The sunrise side villas are also good, but the sunset side does give you a view of 'infinity'.

The villas are very well equipped and so close to the sea (we were in two Beach Villas as opposed to Water Villas) as our children are too young (13 and 11) and, although we did not see inside a WV, we were very happy being so close to the sea (about 20m). The hotel loan free of charge DVD's and CD's - we had taken some with us but it was not necessary.

The restaurants are very good but do book in advance if you have a particular favourite. We loved the Thai restaurant which is a very short boat ride from the hotel. It is set in the middle of the sea and is totally surreal. We also enjoyed the Italian restaurant and went to the buffet a couple of times. The Aqua Bar for lunch and cocktails is great, and the staff at the whole resort are very friendly.

Snorkelling - from previous reviews we had been very worried about this before going out but there are some great places, particularly the rocks near the Spa area and in particular by the water villas - this was amazing! Near the Italian restaurant you can see reef shark and sting rays.

Scuba Diving - superb dive centre run by Marco. We did our Open Water PADI course and Marco was patience personified. The sea was so warm and the marine life brilliant. If we could have stayed a few days more and done some more diving we would have.

Trips - we did the 1/2 day island discovery tour. This included a trip round an island about 15 mins away which included a visit to the school (not open on Fri or Sat). They do expect you to buy tourist items! We then went to a Paradise Island which gave us an hour to snorkel or relax befor heading back.

Other activities - we had huge fun on the Banana Boat and also waterskiing. The guys are all very friendly. You borrow a mask, snorkel and flippers when you arrive and hand back before you go.

Service - our room was immaculate and was serviced twice a day. The waiters were all very friendly and happy to point out places to visit, snorkel etc.

Spa and gym - we did not use the Spa (no time left!) but had reports that it is very good. We used the well equipped gym a few times - it was never too busy and there was a guy there to help you if you needed assistance.

Summary - we thorougly recommend this hotel. As a family there was plenty to occupy us and we all had a fantastic holiday.

Loud Music

by TripAdvisor Member Nash989

I was Island hopping and I stayed there for 3 nights and to be honest I did not enjoy it has much as the other 5 star resorts. The people next door to me and my husband were playing LOUD music in the day and evening which for a relaxing place wasnt. When contacting reception they personally did not care.

To add the rooms are nice but if you stay on one side of the island there are building constructions going on not very nice.

If you like American fast service which I dont that is what they offer fast starters then straight as they take the plate way you have your main too fast and seems like they want to get you out of the restaurant even though it is not busy????

Renewal of vows

by TripAdvisor Member Jakeldaily

Me and my husband stayed for 8 days on 14th April 2007. We stayed in the beach villa number 57 which was very nice. I recommended you stay on that side as the other side of the island has building construction going on and does not give you a great view. I would not eat at the buffet restaurant as it was disgusting but the rest are nice I think personally the best one is Fusion. If you have wine with your meal you should expect to pay around $170.00 for two. The dolphin trip was great and also the snorkling which both trips were great prices. I did find the staff somewhat unprofessional. We renewed how vows there which was great except ONE BIG THING they hired a photographer that did not know what his was doing and we said at the time he is not taking the right photos. The next day they gave us the photographs and to my horror they were just has I thought. When I told them about it they did not want to know and me and my husband emailed everyone and it the end after many emails the vice president manager was honest and said that he was refunding the money.

Anantara Maldives Resort

by islandsmaldives

"About Anantara Maldives"

Located in Dhigufinolhu, South Male Atoll, Kaafu,
Republic of Maldives
Anantara Resort Maldives opened on August 1 2006. The latest addition to the Anantara portfolio is a five-star boutique hideaway on the South Male Atoll, located 30kms from the Maldivian capital of Male. The new Anantara Resort is spread across five acres of tropical terrain on Dhigufinolhu Island.

An island resort nestled in a private lagoon at the heart of the Maldivian atoll. A paradise of crescent beaches, coral reefs, and azure waters, only 25 minutes by private speedboat from Male International Airport. Anantara Maldives combines a breathtaking natural aesthetic with the comfort and style of the region's most luxurious resort and spa.

Long celebrated as the ultimate romantic destination, the Maldivian islands are the very definition of tropical paradise. Anantara Resort Maldives offers luxury, impeccable style and Anantara’s signature warmth and gracious service.

Anantara offers stylish holiday experiences that invoke a sense of tranquillity and privacy within natural landscapes,” said Christopher Stafford, vice president and general manager, Anantara. “Our resort in the Maldives is a fitting complement to our Thailand properties as it offers guests a distinctive setting, world-class facilities and a culturally and environmentally uplifting experience

Let the beauty of Anantara touch you…in the Maldives.

"Rooms at Anantara Maldives"

ROOMS:
Choose from three types of deluxe accommodation, all tastefully furnished and equipped with the latest technology. In addition to the standard conveniences of an electronic in-room safe, individually controlled air conditioning, and IDD telephone, enjoy your own personal surround sound plasma screen TV with DVD, MP3 player, gourmet mini bar, and our spectacular indoor/outdoor bathrooms.

All villas and suites feature a full range of home theatre and entertainment options including LCD satellite television and high-speed internet access

Deluxe Beach Front Villa
Luxuriate in 110sqm of understated elegance in each of our 68 Beach Front Villas. Take in the endless vista of white sands and the ever-changing hues of the Maldivian seas from your terrazzo bathtub, made for two. At the end of a sun-filled day, cool off under the outdoor rain shower and unwind on your very own terrace.

Deluxe Over Water Suite- Wake to the sound of water lapping against the sun deck of one of Anantara's 38 over water villas. Unwind in your infinity edge bathtub after a day of sun and sound.
Deluxe Over Water Pool Suite
Ensconce yourself in the luxury of one of Anantara's two deluxe over water suites. Spend a relaxing hour lounging on your own private sundeck. Take a swim in your own fresh water pool, or step out onto the over water sun deck with direct access into the lagoon.

Situated offshore, surrounded by the crystal-clear waters of the Indian Ocean, rediscover the meaning of serenity in your very own over-water suite. Our 38 suites, connected to the island by a wooden walkway, offer an exceptionally spacious 132sqm of indulgence. Lounge on your private water-front sundeck and enjoy unbroken views of endless blue. Slip into the warm lagoon waters just inches below, at any hour of the day. Or, relax in the over-sized infinity-edge bathtub…no need to daydream–just open your eyes.

Deluxe Beachfront Pool Villa-Add a tantalizing plunge pool within the Deluxe Beach Front Villas, by selecting one of our two lavish, 165sqm Beach Front Pool Villas.

An immaculate beach in the front, the serene pool in the back garden, and you–at the centre of a postcard-perfect island destination.

Deluxe Over Water Poll Suite- Welcome to complete bliss. Indulge in one of our 2 exclusive pool suites, offering an expansive 182sqm of signature Anantara luxury. Situated at the end of the wooden piers, far out into the ocean, you may feel like the only couple on earth – and we welcome you to enjoy this intimacy.

While away tranquil days soaking in your private freshwater plunge pool. Or, dive into the lagoon from your private over-water sun deck. Wind down together in the infinity-edge bath tub. The tropical island experience of a lifetime awaits.

"Facilities at Anantara"

FACILITIES:
Work out in our fully equipped air-conditioned fitness centre. Hone your game or simply enjoy a leisurely rally on our floodlit championship tennis court. If you need to cool down but want to stay off the sand, enjoy a freshwater feel with a saltwater view in our beach front swimming pool.

Enjoy all that Anantara has to offer. And while you do, use our internet facilities to tell your friends and family back at home all about it.

Spa, Library , Boutique, Water Sports

"Anantara Spa"

Anantara Spa-As an Anantara resort, the spa facility is a central focus of the island. The spa features nine treatment suites each with specially constructed glass floors to enable guests to view the vibrant marine life beneath the waters. In addition to an Ayurvedic room and one for Indian mud therapy, the spa offers a menu of treatments and therapies using natural elixirs and oils.
Pamper. Enliven. Release. Unwind. Spoil your body, soul and mind with a selection of our world-renowned signature treatments, alluring bath & steam rituals and holistic therapies. The perfect end – or beginning – of a perfect day.

Comments