Vabbinfaru Island,

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Banyan Tree Maldives

Great Stay on a Paradise Island

by mexxgal about Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru

Spent 4D3N at Banyan Tree Maldives. This was our first visit to a Banyan Tree resort and went away totally impressed!

I have heard a lot about the wonderful time pple have at banyan tree resorts. Was glad I chose to stay in one for my honeymoon.

Service was great, food was much better than what we had in the other Maldivian resort we stayed in (Laguna).

The island is very small, it takes 5 min or less to walk from 1 end of the island to the other end. But the island is beautifully landscaped, and it has a house reef where you can snorkel.

During our stay there, we could see that the resort management and staff pay a lot of attention to detail and that made our stay a very pleasant one. Good housereef, Great service, luxurious accomodation

Great Experience

by mexxgal about Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru

Accomodation was luxurious even though we chose the lowest end of the available accomodation in the resort. We stayed in a Jacuzzi Oceanview villa. No regrets.

Our room was beautifully furnished in Maldivian/Thai style, with a four-poster bed, a good size garden/backyard, our own outdoor jacuzzi, bale/sala at the backyard that overlook the sea.

I really enjoyed myself at the resort.

I have only been to the Banyan...

by Caroline-T

I have only been to the Banyan Tree in Vabbinfaru. This is a five star hotel. The most unique thing is that the whole Island, though small, is occupied by this hotel, and hotel residents can walk round the Island on its beautiful beaches, or kayak in the shallow waters surrounding the Island. The seashore is neatly prepared such that you can even order a sunset dinner under the shelter by the seaside.

OK...since you asked....

by KelseyQ about Soneva Gili

As I said, Robinson Curusoe meets I Dream of Jeannie,,,,
You will be greeted warmly and any request, no matter how small, will not be overlooked.

The Over Water Villas are over 2000 SQ feet and are well appointed.

Seeing is believing.

I reccomend that you do island hop especially if you plan on staying 2 weeks.
my reservations were last minute so I took what I could get which wasn't to bad.
9 night at the Banyan Tree and 5 nights at Soneva Gili.
The Banyan tree had a lot going for it with Marine Biology lessons nightly and a great Turtle and Coral Coservation Program.
We had h a lovely recently refurbished villa with all the mo-cons.
Air con is a must for the Maldive as is is pretty humid.
Food was very good and the Spa was relaxing as it should be.
The island was a bit to small in my opinion as I felt it had to many villas for the amount of land. We were lucky to have a nice patch of beach to ourselves.
It looked as though they are trying to build more beach through dredging, a great idea and I hope it work for everyones sake as the islands are sinking.
A 15 minute boat ride to Sonevea Gili.
We checked into our water villa.
Over 2,000 sq ft of luxury. It extends over 3 levels with an open plan living area, small kitchen,( with an esspresso maker, Hello!) Air -con bedroom a HUGE bathroom with a small porthole in the floor for staring at fish, a prvate water garden and a roof terrace for BBQ's. Each villa has it's own swimming platform. Everthing is over water.
Schools of Rays would come to greet uus as the sun went down.There are plenty of white powdery beaches but to be honest, we really didn't leave the villa much.
Cool breezes, excellent room service, inovative architecture were a we needed to convince us to stay put.....except the ocasional trip tp the Spa where we enjoyed "fish T.V." portholes in the floor to watch fish as I was getting may back massaged....heaven!
All in all a great trip. This amazing Villa exceeded our expectations.

The staff was really there for us and made us feel right at home.

For the discriminating traveler this place will rank high.
Having spent time in all of the top resorts in Fiji I can positively say this is value for money.

The perfect honeymoon island

by TripAdvisor Member never_at_home

We stayed at the Banyan Tree in August for 5 days as part of our honeymoon - and we loved it - it was amazing.

The rooms were just perfect with so much attention to detail. We loved the outdoor bamboo shower which really made you feel you were somewhere special and remote. The room was right on the beech with the sea just a few steps away. The restaurant was excellent with a large choice of food for buffet at lunch and set menu in the evening. If i could pick one minor fault that would only be that the waiting staff were not as attentive as they could be.

We tried the Spa and each had a full body 60 minute massage which worked out about £40 (honeymooners get 20% off). We thought this was great value.

We cant wait to go back - maybe for our 25th anniversary.
Try the Banyan Tree - youll love it!

Heaven On Earth.....

by TripAdvisor Member champagnecharlie1977

The most amazing holiday experience ever. From start to finish the Banyan Tree excelled itself in all areas. Can not understand the previous review regarding the food as this was the highlight of our holiday and a variety every day. The villas were of an excellent standard and would definately recommend paying the extra for a beachfront. The staff were fantastic. Oh and the spa-make sure you visit it if only once during your holiday. Looking forward to our return visit.

Second time in the Maldives

by TripAdvisor Member Joglig

We were anxious about revisiting the Maldives because our stay at Rangali Island just before its makeover was perfect. The Banyan Tree did not disappoint - the transfer to and from the airport is made easy by the staff from the island who greet you and who have passes which means they can take you right through security - jumping the queues. The speed boat ride takes about 20 minutes and the island is beautiful, attentive friendly staff - perfect cocktails - lovely food to cater for most tastes and a great reef on both the Banyan Tree and its sister island Angsana (we saw a fully grown turtle, huge puffer fish, black tip and white tip sharks and lots more). The spa is excellent too, the beach villas are beautiful, possibly due a spruce up but very comfortable. We had lots of rain and humidity when we were there, which made the open air bathroom and clothes storage area a bit damper than it would normally be, but the garden shower is fab. We thought the villas with gardens back from the beach had more privacy than those right onto the beach (and they are less expensive). The main difference from the Hilton Rangali is probably the weather/sea conditions - not sure if this is all year round or seasonal since we were in Rangali in March, but the sea at the Banyan could be quite rough for snorkelling and we were not able to do the night snorkel because of this.

Banyan Tree is a real get away from it all island - I was shocked to see so many people at the bar with laptops - but it turns out they were honeymooners looking at wedding photos sent by guests, on the laptops provided free by the hotel!

Hated this place so much we left after two days - nearly ruined our honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member loulou410

In June I went to the Malidives on my Honeymoon and booked five nights at the Reethi Rah and then the second five nights at the Banyan Tree. I booked the Banyan Tree based on the fact that every reviewer on this site said it was paradise.

Reethi was the most amazing place I have ever been - paradise. but the Banyan Tree was so disappointing, I spent the whole first day there crying. It was overcrowded. The room was fulling apart. The spa pool was plastic and dirty. The beach outside our hut was shared with 6 villas and was only about 2 metre squared. With the loungers and floating green things all out, there was no beach left to see! Not what you traval all this way for.

The food in the evening was quite nice, and the service efficient. But the lunch time buffets were awful, not what I expected for a five star top price hotel. If you did not like anything on the buffet you could order sandwiches but these would be charged extra.

The diving centre seemed ok - but my husband and I only tried snorkelling, and the equipment fell apart on both of us the two times we went out, so we gave up on that. They did not seem bothered we nearly drowned taking in half of the indian ocean through our snorkels.

We contacted out travel agent who told the resort how unhappy we were, and they did move rooms for us. However this only added to my frustation, as part of the honeymoon package was an upgraded room if avaialiable, and by moving us to the next grade up they showed it had been avaiable they just didn't bother to give it to us! Whilst on the subject of honeymoons don't bother with the romantic bbq - our chef was doing six at the same time, so we neither saw him or the food until it was all cold!!!

Eventually we left the resort after two days, with them refusing to refund us any money, and returned to the Reethis Rah for the end of our honeymoon. I have never been so pleased to see a boat transfer!!

I seem to be a lone voice in my feelings on this resort, but maybe I had been spoilt by the Reethi Rah. but I really cannot see how anyone thinks this island is beautiful. It may once have been, but now every inch is covered. There is nowhere to walk to. And the catering buildings in the middle are the ugliest corrugated iron 70's montsrosities you would ever hope to find on an island!!

Having said that the bar was nice, and I had a massage which was good - but they were the only things I liked!!

A real taste of paradise...

by TripAdvisor Member AngelFishLush

We arrived at the Banyan Tree after a very long journey but the staff could not be more helpful and attentive upon arrival, everthing was taken care of. You are greeted with a cold towel, refreshing drink and a brief introduction from the staff. You are then taken to your villa straight away, they check you in once you are in the villa. We booked a Deluxe Beachfront villa which was well worth the extra money.. you are right on the beachfront with wonderful views, small decked terrace and veranda. The villas are very well furnished, beautiful decor with every attention to the small details. There is a cd player but no other form of entertainment but you dont really need anything else. You are provided with bath robes, slippers, beach towels, beach bags, beach shoes and a whole host of complimentary toiletries which were not your usual rubbish hotel freebies. We decided to go full board and the food was wonderful.. there is only one restaurant available however you have other choices such as room service, in villa dining, sandbank dining etc.. all at additional cost which we chose not to do as it is very expensive. Breakfast and lunch are a buffet with a great selection to suit any tastes. Dinner is a set menu of which there is lots of choice, mainly steaks, chicken and local fish. All the food was well presented and tasted great. The waiters were attentive and provided good service. Drinks are not included in the full board option, examples of prices are a beer $8, coke $6, bottle of house wine $30, gin and tonic $10.. the bar does provide a "cocktail of the day" for $5 which we made a point of having each day.. very nice! Onto the beach and reef.. there was some work being carried out whilst there on the beach areas, rebuilding the sand. This did not really cause any issues to the holiday and we are sure the beaches will look great once this is all finished. The weather was not great while we were there, lots of storms and rain. It was also very windy which resulted in us not being able to snorkle as much as we would have liked. Saying that the 2 days we did make it out to the edge of the house reef we did view some wonderful marine life including a rather large black tip reef shark, sting rays, clown fish, parrott fish, sea cucumbers etc.. The resort do organise snorkling trips daily to other reefs but these are charged at $28pp which can work out expensive, we have stayed in the Maldives before at a resort where these trips were included in the price! The daily sting ray feeding is great viewing and the on-site breeding projects for the black tip sharks and green turtles is most interesting. Remember to save your breadrolls from dinner at night and go to feed the fish at the end of the jetty, another chance to view the sea life! The Spa is a must for all visitors. I have been to many Spa's around the world whilst on holiday but this was one of the best. The treatments are extremely well priced and the staff are fantastic. Remember to book your treatments in advance to avoid disappointment. The only negative about Banyan Tree is the privacy issue which other reviews have written about. If you are wanting a resort which has total privacy then this isnt the place for you.. the villas are very close and you see everyone on the beach area and sitting on their veranda's next to you.. it didnt bother us too much but again, the other resort we stayed at in the Maldives was extremely private and we did miss it a little. All in all the Banyan Tree is highly recommended and I would definitely return in the future if we have the opportunity. I hope you find this review helpful, it was thanks to other trip advisor's that we booked this resort. Happy Holidays.

A week of heavenly bliss !

by mexxgal

Our first overseas trip as a married couple was to the beautiful islands of Maldives...

We had wanted to go to a nearby destination (<4 hrs from Singapore) where we could relax after the hectic wedding preparations... Maldives was the perfect place!

After my visit to Cancun few years ago, my expectations of beach resort have been raised. A beach resort in my eyes is only great if there is turquoise waters and a white powdery sand beach. Maldives did not disappoint.

We stayed at Laguna beach resort and Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru.

Banyan treeBanyan tree

The banyan tree, the Maldivian symbolThe banyan tree, the Maldivian symbol

Eagle RayEagle Ray

Nice clean room with plasma TV!Nice clean room with plasma TV!

by samanthaj1984

Hi! I'm staying here for my honeymoon in December..... Has anyone stayed here? Is it good?

Re: Banyan Tree Maldives

by pervindan

Hi! I'm staying in Banyan Tree for my honeymoon too. We'll be there in June. How was it? Are there any suggestions (oceanview rooms or beachfront rooms, which side of the island, etc) you can give me?

Best,

pervin

banyan tree

by bela2005

Anyone been there? Any comments? I would like to stay in their deluxe jacuzzi ocean villa, is it nice?

by MarianaShaharudin

I've been to Banyan Tree in Bangkok. It was great!!!! Highly recommended!!!!

by PeppereppeP

Any Banyan Tree resort is top class. A friend of mine honeymooned at the Banyan Tree Maldives and well, he is still happily married!

by susan2107

We have not yet been to the Banyan Tree - Maldives but have just booked our holiday for September 2006, which will be our 10th wedding anniversary. We have done a lot of research and read lots of reviews, as this will be a very special trip for us. Very good information can be found on the trip advisor website. Hope that this is of help to you.

Regards Susan & Richy :-)

Honeymoon suggestions??

by hooterwooter

Hello, i'm looking for spend a week long nov honey moon in maldives. I was wondering if anyone can help or point to the right direction as where to stay and how to maintain budget.. also the best way to find a package/flight deal out of hong kong would be great!!!

I'm looking ~ mid nov and would def be travelling out of hong kong and i'm looking for a week long stay that's a bit on the nice side.. honeymoon after all. The places i'm looking at are the following. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge pricing or can suggest other locations. I'm looking at a max of $1000 USD/night.. but cheaper is better since there's the other thing called wedding i need to pay. :)

tx

Soneva Fushi Resort and Spa

Maldives Hilton Resort

RE: Honeymoon suggestions??

by Royaldesk

You can also get personal assistance from qualified team of Ask Maldives. Go to www.askmaldives.com and you can place an "Ask us" request on the help you require.

Hope you will get the go.

Best luck, I know they are best.

Comments