Kaafu Atholhu Hotels

Our Members Say

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Newly renovated Water Bungalow

We were lucky to get the newly renovated water bungalow. It was spacious & well kept. All the things in the room were very new then. But it doesnt have the glass floor like the one in the old water bungalow which i think it's ok.

However, note that there's 2 blocks of 2-storey water bungalow and the 2nd floor doesnt have direct access to the sea. You may want to insist that you have the one with direct access to the sea as I think paying more for the 2nd storey one is not worth it.

You can choose to have your breakfast in your room which I would really recommend. You can enjoy your food, watch the sunrise & enjoy the sea breeze at the same time. However take note that they are always late in delivering your food cos there are only 1 person who will deliver the food to all rooms. So makes sure that you tick correct time on the form (at least 30 mins earlier).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written March 30, 2010
Tip Photo

Rows of new water bungalow

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Club Rannalhi: Nice, comfy, clean standard room

Overall, it's still ok. Get the 2nd storey room for a better view.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written March 30, 2010

Nicely decorated bed

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Club Rannalhi: Great Coral Reefs

We stayed at Club Rannalhi for 7 full days for our honeymoon..

I would agree that 90% of the guests are Italian and all of the activities are in Italian and most staff there even the locals speak Italian. Not many of them can speak English and we got irritated by that..

Activities
The island is surrounded by a shallow lagoon with its outer rim dropping off into the ocean the slope adorned with a fine colourful house reef, so ideal for snorkelling..

The view underwater is so breathtaking! You can just swim around the island and look out for Octopus, manta rays, turtle and if u are lucky enough, dolphins!

I would recommend that you sign up for the snorkelling sessions out of the island. It costs USD30/pax for 2 hrs. Bring your own snorkel and fins as quite expensive to rent.

If you wanna try to dive, there's a free trial for 10 mins. It simply teach you how to breathe underwater using the regulator. Thereafter, you can sign up for the Discover Scuba Diver course for USD92/pax for 1 hr or the full Padi course for abt USD350/pax for 2 days. I just find that the instructor is so impatient that he made me gave up after 1 min when I couldnt equalised my ears pressure & I still gotta pay the full amount. I think no matter what you shld insist that he waits for you until you yourself want to give up. There are 2 instructors when I was there (a caucasian & a maldivian) and I would recommend you to take the caucasion instead.

During the day, they have some stretching exercise sessions and in the late morning, there's a free aqua aerobics for the ladies for abt 15 mins. I really enjoyed the aqua aerobics one.

We went for their sunset fishing for USD30/pax and it was great! We managed to catch 4 fishes and another couple caught about 10 fishes. At the end of the trip, you can choose the fish for them to cook for you the next day for USD10. However, again we find that it was badly cooked. There was a strong fishy smell as if they have kept the fish for days and it was deep fried without marinating.

They do organise excursions to some fisherman's island, male city tour, etc. They cost from USD100 onwards.

Accommodation
We stayed in both standard room and water bungalow.

The standard beach room is very basic and all of them are facing the sea, only few steps away from the beach. There are 4 rooms in a 2-storey block and they are around the circumference of the island. We encountered a few problems in that room - aircon not working, fridge got turn off by itself. Since I had some food in the fridge, it got bad. :( Overall, it's still ok. Get the 2nd storey room for a better view.

When we changed room, we were lucky to get the new water bungalow. It was spacious & well kept. All the things in the room were very new then. But it doesnt have the glass floor like the one in the old water bungalow which i think it's ok. The bathroom has the view of the sea, whether you are bathing, peeing or washing hand. There's direct access to the sea and the coral and marine life there is the best. We had a turtle who swam passed us when we were snorkelling in front of our water bungalow. However, note that there's 2 blocks of 2-storey water bungalow and the 2nd floor doesnt have direct access. You may want to insist that you have the one with direct access to the sea as I think paying more for the 2nd storey one is not worth it.

You can choose to have your breakfast in your room which I would really recommend. You can enjoy your food , watch the sunrise & enjoy the sea breeze at the same time. However take note that they are always late in delivering your food cos there are only 1 person who will deliver the food to all rooms. So makes sure that you tick correct time on the form (at least 30 mins earlier).

Restaurant
We didnt opt for all inclusive package which we were very glad about. Being asian, we find that the food there is horrible! Stale milk, bread, cheese, etc! It just doesnt suit our taste. Luckily we had packed some food/snacks. Note that the breakfast menu doesnt change at all. It's the same food everyday. Also note that the restaurant doesnt offer any ala carte menu. If you wanna eat, you gotta take the buffet which cost USD40-50 per person. Even when we just wanted to have a plate of plain rice, we were made to pay for the whole buffet which we think it's ridiculous. It was only the last day that we knew there's an ala carte menu at the coffee house!! When we asked the waiters at the restaurant, they keep insisting that there are no other food except the buffet. Anyway the food at the coffee house (fish & chips, fried rice) are ok & much better to our standard.

Staff
All the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. However note that some of them doesnt speak english.

Overall, it's a beautiful place if you dont have to deal with the people there.
Entertainment is just right, activities are interesting but food is horrible.

The Island
The island is very clean & well maintained. You have a dedicated housekeeper who is in charge of 2-3 blocks of beach room who also ensure that the pathway in front of the beach rooms are always litter-free.

The beach is marvellous with wonderful marine life. The water is crystal clear with good visibility for snorkelling. However there are alot of dead corals somewhere near to the path leading to the water bungalow hence you need to be more careful when you are swimming around there. I think they should clear the dead corals regularly around the beach.

The Island has a couple of resident baby sharks, stingrays & squids that swim around the shallow water of the beach.

Entertainment
There is live band at the coffee house daily from 9-11pm and they are not bad. We didnt manage to see them perform but we can hear them when we were relaxing by the beach at night.

They also have some live performances on certain nights which we also didnt get to watch.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written April 4, 2009
Tip Photo

From the jetty to the reception

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful