One&Only Reethi Rah, Maldives

One & Only Reethi Rah, Maldives
Booking.com Jetsetter.com Hotels.com

Costs 97% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about One&Only Reethi Rah, Maldives

The One & Only 'Reethi Rah' is truly five star.........

My husband and I have just returned from The One @ Only Reethi Rah. We have been to the 'Royal Mirage', Dubai and 'Kanuhura',Maldives and our expectations were very high as we have been extremely satisfied with 'The One & Only' resorts.

We were not disappointed, from our arrival at Male Airport, we were whisked away to the Island travelling on a luxury launch. There were four crew members and just my husband and I travelling.

Our Beach villa was superbly furnished in modern styling with all the 'high tech' gadgets. All villas on the island are extremely private and you have your own piece of beach.Our villa was situated on 'Palm Beach' which enabled us to watch the sun setting in the early evening. We had read some reviews before we left suggesting that this was going to be windy as it was on the north side of the island. This is not the case the winds change direction during the year and our villa host told us that it was less windy at this time of year on the north side, check before you go!

As a 'foodie' I could not fault any of the meals that we had. The One & Only have changed their policy of booking meals, prefering a 'first come-first served' arrangment, this suited us and we never had a problem getting into any of the restaurants and the island was full.

Enjoyed the complimentary ice tea and cake at the main bar at 4 o' clock every day, good for people watching!

The managers cocktail party was fab and very sociable.

The spa was wonderful, pricy but wonderful.

We had read that the resort was expensive, however if you want the very best, it costs!

Would we go again? .........We would leave within the hour.........FANTASTIC..................

See the wonderful underwater...

by TheGallery

See the wonderful underwater world, enjoy the unique sunsets and just relax...... A sensational sunset on Reethi Rah

Either be interested in...

by DellyM

Either be interested in participating in various forms of water-based sport (fishing, swimming, snorkelling, windsurfing, diving) or be happy to do absolutely nothing other than bake in the sun. If I was taking someone who was looking for a romantic, quiet (though I would guess that every island is reasonably quiet) location I would choose Reethi Rah. If I was taking someone who was interested in meeting people who and doesn't mind very basic accommodation I would opt for Meerufenfushi, which had a slightly younger clientele than Reethi.
One thing to watch out for is the time of year you choose to go there. It's monsoon season from April through to end of October, June is particularly stormy. Fondest memory is of our first night on our first visit. We decided to take a moonlit stroll along the beach. There were masses of fish and eels cruising along the waters edge! I don't think I've ever seen so much marine life in such shallow water. It was dinner time for the predators who hunt at night, and they were obviously in search of prey. It was an awesome sight.

This doesn't apply in the...

by DellyM

This doesn't apply in the Maldives.
Each island is a self contained resort. On both islands we stayed on there was a large thatched area for dining in. Reethi Rah was waiter service of a set meal, whereas Meeru was a nightly help yourself buffet. Both islands also had a separate, smaller thatched area which provided a lunch time snack. One of the nice touches at Reethi was a once a week evening meal when they transferred all of the dining tables onto the beach. It made dinner time extra special.
Take a look up into the rafters of the thatched dining area, you may see what the travel reps tell you are 'Palm Mice'. They are in fact, big fat rats, but don't worry, they're more afraid of you than you are them, and they won't come near you. Vegetarians beware. Though the chef tried to be helpful, I dined on spagetti with either tomato ketchup or lime pickle practically every night at Meeru (mind you, you'll eat almost anything with gusto after a day's diving). From memory, it wasn't quite so bad at Reethi, but don't imagine that you'll be fed well unless you're prepared to eat fish.

Stunning!

by TripAdvisor Member Moirad

We have just returned from a stay at Reethi Rah and are already planning a return trip next year. This was our second time to the Maldives and we were slightly concerned that Reethi Rah might not live up to our expectations as we had previously stayed at the Hilton Rangali which was amazing. However the resort is out of this world - very big but beautiful. The luxury speed boat trip from Male was a great start as my husband and I had the boat to ourselves. On arrival we were taken by buggy to our water villa which was on the sunset side of the island. We were met by our villa host who gave us a traditional foot spa bath before showing us around our villa and huge deck area. Inside is a huge bedroom/living area (with a massive bed) which leads into an enormous bathroom with a huge double bath next to a large window with uninterrupted views of the lagoon and ocean. The shower room was large with another window allowing you to gaze out to sea whilst showering. Separate sinks (at opposite sides of the room from each other) and a 'making up' area were fantastic and meant I didn’t have to put up with my husbands splashing at the sink!!! The deck area is lovely with a sunbathing platform, day bed and netting suspended over the water. One thing to note is that there are hardly any fish around the water villas which was a slight disappointment as when at the Hilton we had enjoyed the many fish and baby reef sharks swimming around the villa. We also spent a few nights in a beach villa with pool to see which we preferred for our next trip. The beach villa interior is exactly the same as the water villa but you have a huge long pool outside in a private sandy garden with decking and two sets on sun loungers - one set on the decking and one further down towards the beach. Both villas are lovely but we preferred the beach one with pool as it was great being steps away from the beach and sea and to be able to swim in the pool with great vies. The beaches are almost deserted which is lovely and private.

Food in all the restaurants at Reethi Rah is wonderful and the design/decoration in each is stunning. Fanditha was a great place to chill with cocktails and eat mezze whilst reclining on carpets and cushions under the stars. The bar serves great cocktails and there is a fantastic band that plays there nightly. In addition we thought the food and drinks were good value for the Maldives.

Both the pools by the bar are wonderful but we only spent one morning by the pool as we preferred our own private area.

We are fortunate to have traveled extensively and have stayed in some wonderful hotels but Reethi Rah is without doubt the most beautiful place we have ever stayed. It is not at all stuffy and the staff are some of the most efficient and friendly we have come across. We will definitely go back!

Take your sunglasses!

by TripAdvisor Member Londona

My husband and I have just returned from spending our wedding anniversary at Reethi Rah. It is a very stylish, yet mellow place, and allows you to do as much or as little as you feel capable of!

After a dire experience last Christmas at a water villa at another hotel, we opted for a beach villa at Reethi Rah. This is the lowest grade on offer, but is truly luxurious, especially in terms of space and amenities. Plus, you get a whole football pitch of beach to your self, your own hammock, sun loungers with thick towels, and the sea right there - perfect for pre-breakfast swims (or if you're feeling very sexy, midnight swims au naturel!). Plus, a sunset from your bed each and every night.

With all this, we only went to the hotel pools twice; the first time, there were a few Euro-couples (their beautiful tans were a bit intimidating to our British skin), and a bit of a cocktail scene going on in the infinity pool (which features a stone recliner in the middle). They also provide free afternoon tea, and iced mango lassis. On the last day, there were too many families in the main pool, so we just popped off on our bicycles, and cycled til we found a beach we liked.

The Spa - this is an extremely serene part of the hotel, and the treatments are excellent. They are, however, mind-numbingly expensive. The gym is well-appointed, & has a stunning view out over the reef.

Food - especially in the sense that this is, after all, hotel food - is very good; pricy, but in generous portions. We particularly enjoyed a paella on the beach stuffed with every kind of seafood imaginable, and some curries in the Reethi restaurant. Service, though is very mixed. e.g. at the Japanese restaurant Tapasake, service was inept, and the food no better than London restaurants.

Definitely a place to try, even if, like us, you have no interest in diving or snorkelling.
Do: take your sunglasses - the white, white sand is dazzling in the sunlight
Don't: expect staff to be slick and efficient. The mellow pace of life has got to them, too...

go for space, tranquillity, poor service though

by TripAdvisor Member zouzisthelick

the reethi rah is a man made very large island, which is navigated by on demand golf carts, or own bicycles, already showing signs of wear after 8 months
The rooms and space are spectacular, large amount of privacy between villas. Having a private pool is worth the extra. the island is manmade so coral is all dead swimming distance from the beach, so if you like snorkelling, there is a $25 charge for boat trips.
The half board option is worth the extra as in all restaurants appetisers around $20, main course $20-50, dessert $20. alcohol is expensive so bars were empty. Their own water is complmentary throughout the day, but a soft drink at $6, and evian water $9, were expensive. Found the main restaurant adequate, always table, Fanditha was too windy, and food just ok, plus charged $30 for few drags on the shisha pipe! no wonder the seating area was empty.

As was paying $1200 night, the service was not quite up to standard, orders wrong at breakfast, and somewhat arrogant attitude of some staff, when dealing with complaints. This may because resort only open 8 months, so staff still learning. Make sure you pay your mini-bar bill before leaving for the night before, as the couple opposite on the boat transfer, were told to return to reception to pay $5 for mini-bar juice, afrer spending thousands on there stay, how embarrasing!

The resort is full at the moment, but i feel will need to raise its gain re service to continue this level of occupancy, especially when four seasons/taj reopens. if you prefer back to nature resorts this isnt for you, but the space of the villa, and privacy, is unsurpassed anywhere in the maldives

Paradise Can't Get Any Better Than This

by TripAdvisor Member frenchandparisian

Just got back from a 8 nights / 9 full days at O&O Reethi Rah. Despite being picky travelers, we could not fault them. If perfection can be found somewhere, then Reethi Rah is a safe place.
The experience starts at home, when you receive a 'vacationer form' to fill in, enquiring about your tastes : toiletries, pilowws, drinks, ... First contact at the airport with many memebers of staff, and an amazing luxury airconed yacht, full of Conolly leather and wood panelling. The rather bumpy journey to the resort takes about an hour. At the jetty, you ar met by a resort manager, and whisked away to a buggy, directly to your villa. There takes place a quick check-in : they won't take your credit card print. OK there is no way you are going to run from the place, but it is still a nice touch. You are introduced to your butler (1 for 7 villas), who will insist on unpacking for you.
ISLAND-RESORT : it is huge. Like … huge. Mostly man-made, we were stroke initially by a lack of ‘back to nature’ feeling. We totally forgot about that after one day, and for the newcomers to the Maldives, it would go unnoticed. There are 2 bikes sitting in front of each villa ; but alternatively, we never waited for a buggy for more than 5 to 6 minutes. Despite featuring 130 villas, staffed with 650 people, privacy and seclusion are the keywords.
VILLA 149 : We had booked a basic Beach Villa. I am ashamed of using this basic word, since they are the most amazing I have seen, for a standard accommodation, that is outside suites. We got a free upgrade to a Villa with Pool, which was a costly (add $2,000) option we had considered pointless at the time of booking. Well, next year we will make sure to book this, since we would hate not getting one. It is absolutely beautiful, not just a plunge pool but a good size (3x7 meters), infinity, all lava stone with a built-in bed, and illuminated at night. It makes you feel totally alone in the island. We left the villa for diving and dinner, but basically went from the loungers by the pool to the hammock to the loungers on the beach bach in the pool. Gorgeous, I tell you.
The villa was beautifully decorated, in a rather Balinese style, with plenty of wood and bamboo, plus a marble and wood flooring. Lighting system was very sophisticated, and a little complicated to get by. Good plasma TV set, and Nespresso coffee machine with plenty of free pods. Bathroom is awesome, and includes a huge marble tub for two. I would have liked better the usual disposable Molton Brown toiletries to the big glass bottled ones. Question of taste.
FOOD-BEVERAGE : the place is not cheap, but I did not really expect it to be. Some beverages are steeply overpriced. Who cares about paying £9+ for one liter of Evian, or £14+ for a bottle of Ty-Nant ??? Champagne or wine are expensive, but not ridiculously for that kind of place in a muslim country.
Reethi is the main restaurant. Mostly indoors seating. Good fusion food, with plenty of choice, including specials. Too many children run around the place, with parents pretending they don’t notice. Breakfast is served here, partly buffet and partly a la carte. Excellent selection.
Tapasake – Japanese as it sounds. Fresh and tasty. But so small servings I was still hungry when I got out. Expensive.
Fanditha – all outdoors seating, either in huts or right on the beach. Beautiful Mediterranean food. Best value for money, we thought, and the less crowded, if any are crowded at all ! A bit windy though.
BARS – Rah Bar has room for improvement. Eventhough the building is nice, it lacks some intimate ambiance, cosy atmosphere, plush seating. Terrible live entertainment, we thought : a band of 7 sing, or I’d rather say scream at the top of their lungs. Nobody there apparently tolds them they would get paid anyway, and not by the decibel. It was so loud, that I felt uncomfortable, and had to shout myself to get heard to anyone, even very close. It was apparently a nuisance to the villas in a 200 meter radius under the wind.
Fanditha is a much better option, all outdoors, with a lounge atmosphere.
ACTIVITIES – 2 beautiful main poolsss, which we did not use. I felt they were too close to the bar. Diving is up the island standard. Excellent facilities. Kind and knowledgeable dive masters, great boat. We just turned up and dived. Everything was being taken care by the staff who went as far as putting our fins on ! I understood that the diving was more spectacular at O&O’s sister property Kanuhura. But I could not complain on anything.
Spa is apparently awesome. The price list has is European, really.
OVERALL EXPERIENCE – Beyond the words. We would go back any minute, our banker allowing. But it is not expensive. Only costly. You get worth any of the numerous dollars you spend here. And you are happy to spend them.
I am just sorry that none of the senior staff even tried to enforce the minimal dress code in the evening they advertise. They call it Island Chic, or Resort Casual. Some people’s idea of it if a full football outfit, or T-shirts with sexy messages that I would not dare reproducing here. Pity for those who make the little effort of wearing a pair of trousers.

Wow what a place

by TripAdvisor Member tripper5473

From when you step out of the airport at Male you know the Reethi Rah is going to be special. The hotels' own uber-launch whisks you off in wood panelled luxury and leather seats to the island about an hour away.
Once there golf karts take you to your room on what is by Maldivian standards a huge island (about 8kms of beachline).
The Standard beach villas are simply amazing. They are HUGE, fitted out in exquisite materials and with interesting objects. What the enhanced rooms offer over and above I can't imagine! The nearest neighbour was about 50 yards away so the beach outside the expansive glass doors is pretty much your own.
The coffee maker in the room is free to use. The minibar is most definately NOT free. Start saving now if you like a G&T each evening!
Owing to its size bikes or buggies are used to get around the island. The bikes were truly awful. Given the resort only opened 6 months earlier, they are unbelievably knackered creaky things that rival a car for weight!
Three Restaurants provide a selection of food. The Japenese one (Tapesaki) had wondeful food and service.
Fanditha is a beach restaurant with moroccan influence, which we found a little bland, albeit eating under the stars takes some beating.
The main restaurant offers a choice of great quality foods of different influences (indian, french, italian, maldivian, etc) and terrific breakfasts with fresh made pastries with pretty much whatever else you like.
Service in the main restaurant was haphazard and definately needs attention. Asking for the same thing three or four times is not what you should expect at this level.
Wine list is comprehensive and costly, but lets face it you knew it was going to be expensive before you went! If you like your wine do one, or all of the wine tasting experiences and dinners. Great fun with likeminded people and a very entertaining sommelier who's up for a laugh too!
Great Scuba diving, well appointed Gym.
It was all over way too quickly despite the 14 nights there!
We went B&B and paid for each evening meal. If you like to dine out of the main restaurant then I would suggest it is cheaper to pay ad hoc as I think the credit against half board was only $25 per head. If you are prepareed to stay in the main restaurant HB might make sense
So in summary. It ain't cheap, the service in the main restaurant needs attention as does the attentiveness to filling mini-bars and other consumables in rooms. However it is an amazing place which given the budget I would definately return to.

DellyM's new Maldives Page

by DellyM

Having first visited the "no news, no shoes" islands of the Maldives in 1995 we couldn't resist going back for a second dive holiday.
The first time we went we stayed on an island (the Maldives is made up of over 1000 small islands) called Reethi Rah, the second time we stayed on Meerufenfushi.
Both of these holidays were packages that we found on TV's ceefax pages, and were very good value for money.

Reethi Rah - September 06

by HNYMNER

I am traveling to Reethi Rah on September 18th to the 30th. I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what the weather is like this time of the year. All the weather forcasts say that it will rain all week. I hope this is not true. Also if anyone has any advise on which villa to stay in (currently we have an over the water villa) or any other advise about the resort, it would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at HNYMNER@vtmail.com or respond to my post.

One&Only Reethi Rah. Maldives.

by Tote_sweet

I know it has only just opened, but has anyone heard anything about it? Is anyone planning on staying there soon and could maybe post some advice once they return?

We are planning to go within those coming 2 weeks end of june. Please let me know.

by kiki13

Can't really say much on Reethi Rah, but I have stayed at their sister resort Kanuhura which was fantastic.

From the website, Reethi Rah looks very nice.

Who knows, maybe you'll be the first to review it... Love to hear all about it when you return!

by sc33

go to the wesbsite tripadvisor.com and there is a post there on this resort- one person has lefta couple of websites which show lots and lots of pictures of this new resort- it looks great and very modern. im sure u will enjoy it.

by davidnews

Hope you had a fantastic time. I am going in September on honeymoon and would love to hear all about it, any tips or recommendations.
Also could you tell me the general price of things such as meals and wines, drinks etc.
What is the dress code? is it very formal.
Do you pay at the end of the holiday and with what credit cards, dollars, traveller cheques?
I hope you can help me

Many thanks in advance

David

My email address is david@mk-news.co.uk

thanks again

by davidnews

sorry I put my wrong email address on the message it should be david.gale@mk-news.co.uk

thanks

RE: RE: One&Only Reethi Rah. Maldives.

by samyoyo

It's fantastic resort! Good service, good restaurant, good villa and the beautiful white sand beach, seaview.
You can see our "photo gallery", find out more pictures.

by JonTapps

We are going in March 2006 can any one email me with any tipss where are the best rooms and some idea of the bar tarif

many thanks sound a great place

Jon
Jontapp@aol.com

by JonTapps

Sorry
the email is Jontapps@aol.com slip of fingers
Jon

Reethi Rah - September 06

by HNYMNER

RE: Reethi Rah - September 06

by honeymoon82

Hey!!!
I'm sorry I can't help with your question!!I wanted to go that resort next Septmber for my honeymoon.Would really appreciate it if you could share your experience on this forum.Would be really helpful!
Thanks you and I hope you have a great time!!!!

Comments